Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

last night i was working on a project for a client and MY GIRLFRIEND CALLED, i took the call and came back and my screen was locked (NORMAL) BUT my iCloud password WOULDNT LET ME LOG BACK IN TO MY MAC. no one had changed my password, the password worked on another device.

the next few hours involved me resetting my apple id password, my keychain being completely broken and unrecoverable, a time machine restore, and countless other attempts at recovering precious passwords over years of my keychain growing.

i had to settle for following a ton of steps to get my icloud keychain back, which is only a partial list of passwords i needed.

now i've always defended apple like a drooling loving retard but this really pissed me off. one minute i was working, next i was metaphorically crawling on my knees CJing my computer. WHY???

i am on a deadline with this project and i can't loving believe this happened. now all of my IDevices are in weird states of not being logged into iCloud and i have tofix each one individually gently caress icloud

tim, why? why is this so hard? figure out the loving INTERNET TIM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

does 1password autofill/remember passwords for Mac apps other than browsers?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nope, not mac apps at least. looks like some ios apps use the 1pass extension api, but not mac apps.

thanks for the suggestion though

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Incomplete Fish posted:

backup your keychain i mean cmon.

make ~/Library/Keychains/ sync with drop box or something idk. That way when it happens again you just have to reimport it and maybe rename it at the most.

This happens to me all of the time; I learned very quickly that associating your login account to iCloud forces you to enter a world of pain when things don't work right. The argument against storing your keychain in multiple (offsite) locations is probably Bad Security. idc beats losing all my passwords.

the keychain file was backed up with time machine. i restored it from the other day but somehow, some MAGICAL loving APPLE WAY, my icloud password retroactively no longer works for it. i tried restoring it from a few days back. no go.

DO NOT USE YOUR APPLE ID TO SIGN INTO YOUR MAC. EVER. Learned my lesson.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

computer parts posted:

are iCloud logins just like signing into iCloud or is it like windows 10 where you can sign into a user account using your apple id

yeah i hosed it up, it's like win 10 but logging in with apple id, in fact i wonder where ms got the idea...

craisins posted:

i could even log into my dumb windows 7 work computer when not connected to the work network

ms wins
USUALLY if things are working fine, you can login with your apple id even if your mac is offline. it definitely caches your poo poo. that cache is what im guessing hosed up for me big time.

echinopsis posted:

on the mac the iCloud Drive is called whatever but on the PC there is whatever and whatever(1) and the Mac uses the (1) but doesn't say it is

it's ducked

I should just use Dropbox
is that in Mac?

?

but yes dropbox works fine on mac like it has for almost ten years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

i had a similar issue. basically both my Mac and iPhone decided to unauthorized iCloud Keychain at once, and since neither were authorized, neither could be used to authorize the other.

thankfully, the passwords are still there on the Mac, so it can be fixed.

i did a bunch of random crap, but i'm not sure anything i did actually fixed it and hitting "reset keychain" may have just worked without really resetting the keychain.

anyway take a breather, everything works. it sucks but it's not as bad as using windows everyday trust me.

but yeah timb needs to fix it.

yeah everything's back to normal now i think, except my airport password was stored in the lost keychain so i recently had to hard reset the airport because i didnt have admin access to it anymore.

i thought that was gonna be a pain in the rear end though because it was annoying setting up airport to use PPoE initially, but i was able to just "restore previous airport settings" and reset the password no prob. at least tim made that part easy on me.

still though, i'm never using my appleid to login to my machine EVER AGAIN.

• Locked thread