Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
the cool thing about the rockies is that in BC, they stretch right to the yukon border. in northern bc, there is a large section of the rocky mountains that u will pass through should you drive the alaska highway heading north. the scenery on the drive is great, but i would encourage ppl who want to explore to spend some time here as this part of the rockies is quite unique. notable provincial parks where u can camp include stone mountain provincial park and muncho lake provincial park. Liard hotsprings in the northern foothills is a popular spot to have a nice warm dip. There are numerous hiking trails within the boundaries of both these parks that range in length from daytrip to lengthy backpacking trip. the choice is yours.

u are allowed to backcountry camp wherever u want and u can hike beyond beyond established trails. this is made easier by the landscape here, which is quite different from the southern portions of the rockies. trees are more stunted and often grow more sparsely. the vegetation in general is different due to this area being in one of the harshest climactic regions of bc. the treeline also occurs lower as well, so there are a lot of cool looking mostly bare mountains. this makes the terrain rugged but surprising open in many areas which helps with exploring. The northern rockies are mostly part of the large muskwa-ketchika management area, which covers a very large wilderness includeing northern rockies provincial park and the kwadacha wildnerness provincial park. though u can hike pretty much anywhere, ppl also use horses and ATVs especially in hunting season.

besides the unique features of this area, u will enjoy true solitude. You will also see wildlife, guaranteed. I've hiked and ATVed in the area a lot and i've never seen other ppl except alaska highway drivers on the highway in summer. the wilderness areas really are wilderness so if u venture into them at length you have to be completely self sufficient as u won't encounter anyone else. additionally, there are no significant human settlements nearby so be prepared to be lonely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
Mountains are really ugly and routinely obscure my view of the sky

• Locked thread