Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

VectorSigma posted:

those people have clearly never seen cartoons or played video games.

Maybe they have; there's always loot at the bottom of those hidden areas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
I LOVE THE CSB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuJtdQOU_Z4

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
OMG a new CSB video on the West, Texas fertilizer plant explosion.

15 dead and 100s of buildings destroyed. loving with zoning, and zoning fucks with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdDuHxwD5R4

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Linux Pirate posted:

I just wanna see pictures of dumb people doing dangerous stuff at work.
Me too. I like to read this thread at work for maximum OSHA.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Crossposting from SH/SC:

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just where I work. Either that or behind the scenes a lot of churches are just hosed up.

Here's a story:

The church I work for is very into pageants and theatrical stuff. They'll have plays with the thematic subtlety of a sledgehammer, usually centering around or at least alluding to going to hell.
Personally I find some of the stuff they put out there fairly objectionable but I won't derail the thread with that kind of a powder-keg. Just to preface, I'm not going to inject my personal opinion of the subject matter into any of what follows, i'm merely presenting what happened. The gist of the play they want to put on is thus:

There's a young, attractive woman riding in a cab. The devil (literally) decides to hop in shotgun next to the cab driver and "orders" him to force himself on the girl. The girl is horrified, the terrible act happens, and the cab driver somehow gets away scott free after doing the Devil's work. As if it wasn't horrible enough the woman gets pregnant and has recurring nightmares about fire and brimstone whenever she seriously thinks about abortion, so she's effectively guilted into having the kid. She has the kid, gives it up for adoption, and life continues but she can't live with the guilt of abandoning her child. She gets into drugs and ODs, which counts as suicide, which means she goes to hell. The intent is to show this on a Sunday afternoon to a mixed age audience.

So the powers that be approach me and my boss about something they want to do: they want to set the lady playing the poor woman mentioned above on fire as part of the show. Instantly the word NO launches itself from my face before the conversation really begins in earnest, but that just means I'm ignored from that point on and it's a conversation between my boss and the pastor. To this day I'm thankful for how level-headed my boss is; there have been a number of times where I've nearly lost it over stupid bullshit at this place, and setting a lady on fire as part of an act definitely ranks up there. Like most people in this place, the "actress" is a volunteer.

They're talking about this while I'm red-faced and fuming and the Head Pastor is very animatedly pontificating on kevlar and fireproof dresses and such. Clearly not anyone I want messing with pyrotechnics. My boss is completely on my side and is having almost as hard a time as I am keeping it together, but he's a veteran. He's been in this crazy trench waaaaaaay longer than I have, so he knows how to speak the lingo. My boss pretends to do the speaking in tongues bit and walks off, waving back at me and the pastor saying he'll need to think on it. A minute later my phone starts to buzz and I know that's my cue to head back to the office with him.

I get back there and I unload. They HAD to hear me screaming, they just had to, but to this day I've never heard a single word about any of it. My boss looks at me and tells me, "Look, they're going to go ahead with whatever stupidity it is they're planning. The best we can hope to do is minimize the impact. Once <pastor name> gets an idea in his head he's going to run with it no matter how negligent it is."

We talk for a while longer and get into a creative groove. I had the idea, but he put the finishing touches on it: instead of setting the girl on fire we'd use her high heels as a form of symbolism. It'd be easy enough to rig something together that would set them on fire with a switch of some kind, and we had the time to plan it so it wasn't a rush job. We ordered one of those fire starter kits that magicians use and had our plan of attack in order.

The next day he presents the idea and the pastor loves it, but he wants a practical demonstration. We don't have any high heels and the pair being used for the show are the only ones they have, so we're charged with buying a pair ourselves so we can demonstrate. The pastor is a huge rear end in a top hat with regards to scheduling and making himself available for questions/concerns, so we know he'll only be around for maybe an hour before he vanishes into the darkness for a week. We break off from the pastor and make the quickest dash for PayLess shoes that a human has ever made, returning with these red sequined abominations. They're perfect.

It takes ten minutes or so to get everything prepped, but we get it done. The presentation goes off without a hitch and the ugly shoes are burning on stage on top of an industrial rubber mat. It's a slow burn too, which I thought was a nice touch if you're going for subtlety in how you present the theme (slow encroachment of sin, damnation is a gradual burn, that kind of thing). The head pastor sort of grunts at us and tells us it's good enough, but I can tell he's not super thrilled. Dude really wanted to set this poor lady on fire, I guess. We never got comped for the shoes OR the remote starter, either.

I'm not a member of the church, so I didn't see the production. I just work there. My boss though, he saw it, and the next time I saw him was a few hours after the show and he was obviously stricken. Something was wrong. "Yo dude, you alright? You look pale as hell."
He tells me that the higher-ups didn't think the shoes burning was obvious enough. The fire was too small, not evocative enough. So they doused the shoes in kerosene and set everything up the same way we had it otherwise. "Bitch King, walk out to the stage with me. It's easier to just show you."

We walk out and the left half of the stage is charred black. I'll never forget the sight of it: the piano they keep on stage had collapsed when one of the legs burned through, the electronics and lighting were all disabled since the damage was so extensive, and apparently they had a tough time getting the fire otu at all because all the fire extinguishers were expired and barely worked. Apparently, mid-fire, someone ran out to Wal-Mart and bought two of the cheap ones while the rest of the church battled the flames on the stage with faulty equipment. Thankfully nobody got hurt, but sitting there right in the middle of the stage were a pair of high heels, completely unblemished and untouched by the fire. Mocking the absurdity of it all. I'm told it burned for twenty minutes straight while people sat around waiting for Wal-Mart guy to get back, just doing their best to contain it somehow with the power of good intentions.

To this day I don't know what they did to gently caress up so badly, but I took it as a sign that maybe there is a dude up there punishing us for our stupidity. Just maybe. Needless to say there was a prayer drive the following week and the damages ended up repaired rather quickly. I'm still just thankful they didn't try to set some poor lady on fire. And to this day they still haven't updated all the fire extinguishers, just the ones around the stage.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm glad Grover was alright.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyn3_mqHeic

Garbage truck explodes

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

That rushing sound in the video is the Liquefied natural gas venting into the atmosphere. While I love the concept of LNG, the practical application of it is limited by the fact that a car fire will literally cause the vehicle to loving explode.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

I love that *PING* right before the truck explodes. It's just that split second "you're hosed" warning that you hear but can't do anything about.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

this is insane to me. does the sound transmit through the fire or something???

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Antoine Silvere posted:

this is insane to me. does the sound transmit through the fire or something???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_speaker

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

thats pretty fuckin dope. did not know that was a thing

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/74JXbg3.webm

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
That one has been posted so often, and everytime it makes me feel very sad, because there's no way that guy didn't walk away from that with fairly painful consequences.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

The ladder looks photoshopped (on the bottom left) either it's a joke that went over my head or it's just lighting. I just realize I've only seen that gif zoomed in.

Also I'm surprised in all the threads this hasn't been posted (skip about a minute):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A_h2AjJaMw

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Fuuuuuuuck that

You literally could not pay me enough to do that

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Unloading trucks on grade instead of at a dock sucks. Manual pallet jacks don't have brakes so I could see that happening if you're slightly down-grade. I only let my guys do that once when I was a warehouse manager. It was so sketchy that I forbade it afterwards. It's not worth it. Someone will get hurt.

When I had to do it, I had them hand offload instead. That pallet jack is not controllable. It takes way longer, but no-one gets hurt.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

You literally could not pay me enough to do that

I knew a guy doing it a while back and I think he pulled down a real good four figures a week, I wana say 2k-2500

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

mostlygray posted:

Unloading trucks on grade instead of at a dock sucks. Manual pallet jacks don't have brakes so I could see that happening if you're slightly down-grade. I only let my guys do that once when I was a warehouse manager. It was so sketchy that I forbade it afterwards. It's not worth it. Someone will get hurt.

When I had to do it, I had them hand offload instead. That pallet jack is not controllable. It takes way longer, but no-one gets hurt.

Does not most decent trucks have controllable pneumatic suspension which you can use to level the truck? Also good back lifts have stoppers you can deploy from stopping this from happening. I guess they don't come on every back lift but they are worth the premium, even when unloading at docks if they're not at the correct height.

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 18, 2016

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

That was a twist, I expected something with the forklift to happen

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

If you absolutely felt like you had to unload the pallets that way, you should at least have the guy with the pallet jack wait until the forklift guy comes back and is in position with the forks right on the edge platform so that there's something to keep the jack from rolling right off the edge.

It's still dumb though and shouldn't be done at all like that.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shaquin posted:

I knew a guy doing it a while back and I think he pulled down a real good four figures a week, I wana say 2k-2500

That's all!!?

You can get more than that sat at a desk doing software stuff.

I'd want around 10k a week to do that....one mistake and you are dead......DEAD! My rear end cheeks were clenched the entire video, and I am not even scared of heights. It's more the fact that if he slips, it's gameover.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

spud posted:

That's all!!?

You can get more than that sat at a desk doing software stuff.

I'd want around 10k a week to do that....one mistake and you are dead......DEAD! My rear end cheeks were clenched the entire video, and I am not even scared of heights. It's more the fact that if he slips, it's gameover.

Consider that he's also climbing in a very quick fashion. If you're a pathetic pussy safety conscious, you can also climb a few feet, hook in, climb a few feet, hook in, repeat ad nausem.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Believe it or not many people may either by inclination or circumstance find a six figure paycheck for having a little balls a perfectly fine alternative to plugging in modems or staring at command prompts or whatever

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Ten thousand dollars a month gross isn't bad for loving around on top of a big tower and more frequently smaller towers.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

I bet that neighborhood smelled awful for weeks.

BrianPhillips
May 10, 2006
Hadn't seen this posted. Looks like fun...except for that fall.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

BrianPhillips posted:

How bored do you have to be before that seems like a good idea?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/BxRm7iV.gifv

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

BrianPhillips posted:

Gimme a helmet and pads i'll do that!

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
To steal a post from the China Thread

No why

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Serak posted:

No why

that thing was on fire before it got there. I think this truck's delivering fire.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Cowman posted:

that thing was on fire before it got there. I think this truck's delivering fire.

its a fire truck

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Serak posted:

No why

The best part about this is the guy waving in the truck, like the truck isn't going to plow through either way.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Cowman posted:

they've really stepped it up with the Olympic Torch tour lately

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

ElectricSheep posted:

You start with the I, not the J

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

I love how once the guard gets the gate open he doesn't back up anymore, he doesn't seem concerned that its on fire

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

calvus posted:

I love how once the guard gets the gate open he doesn't back up anymore, he doesn't seem concerned that its on fire

You mean the guard that waves him through just before you can see him run further away?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Hollow Talk posted:

You mean the guard that waves him through just before you can see him run further away?

the other guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

Ya the first guy was smart he just booked it all the way, other one continues to wave him through as the fire is feet away from him