Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Parallax Scroll posted:

its a fire truck
goddammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

you don't stop the fire truck. thats illegal

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

and this is why you always keep a pair of clogs or whatever at the lab

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
ENTERGY GRAPPLES WITH GROUNDWATER INFILTRATION AT VERMONT YANKEE.

Huh, interesting photo. Must be some stock photo that they're trying to make a weird metaphor with-

quote:

Contaminated water in a swimming pool inside the basement of the reactor building at Vermont Yankee.
:stare: Oh.

quote:

VERNON – The Intex “Easy Set” swimming pool retails for anywhere from $35 to $500 depending on its dimensions, and it’s billed as one of “the easiest family and friend-sized pools to set up in the world.”

But in Vernon, the Easy Set is serving a much different purpose than the one advertised on the manufacturer’s colorful website: It’s being used to help manage a complex groundwater-intrusion problem at Vermont Yankee.

Photos submitted to VTDigger show several blue pools marked with yellow radioactive warnings due to the full load of contaminated water inside. Pumps and hoses are connected to the pools in some images; others show large “bladders” apparently filled with water nearby.

While the setup may appear haphazard, Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Neil Sheehan expressed confidence that the liquid – which he said contains “very low levels of tritium” – is being handled safely while plant owner Entergy develops a longer-term plan for managing radioactive water at the Vernon plant.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

:geno:

Not my joke, but you get to enjoy it too:

"that's pretty rad"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Guy on the cycle better stop, give thanks, and wipe his shorts out.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Could you imagine if OSHA like regulated prostitution... All busting people for trying to make condoms out of Werther's wrappers and saran wrap

The equivalents in places where its legal and regulated totally do, like New Zealand, and they enforce all the testing and protection rules at brothels I'm pretty sure

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

The more I look at it, the more it looks like that thing hits him in his helmet. Is it a manhole cover or hubcap or ...?

edit: I saw the manhole. It's a manhole cover. It still looks like it hits him in his helmet, though.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mission Requirements

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

gd soldiers are invariably drooling idiots without exception who would almost immediately die out if left to their own devices without any supervision or intervention

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Tritium in water is volatile. It exchanges with the water protons and then can evaporate as radioactive water. I feel like that pool should be in a ventilated enclosure with effluent air scrubbers.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

quote:

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

What am I looking at?

Are y'all retarded? That's not a tornado, that is a bunch of carrier pigeons beeing released for some kind of bird race.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Don't you idiots watch bird racing on a daily basis like I do? loving morons.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Parallax Scroll posted:

its a fire truck

Interestingly, the word for "truck" in Chinese is basically just car. The literal translation for "fire" and "car" gets you the Chinese word for "train". That's a train, that's why they had to let it through.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

Interestingly, the word for "truck" in Chinese is basically just car. The literal translation for "fire" and "car" gets you the Chinese word for "train". That's a train, that's why they had to let it through.

toot toot

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe

RadioPassive posted:

Tritium in water is volatile. It exchanges with the water protons and then can evaporate as radioactive water. I feel like that pool should be in a ventilated enclosure with effluent air scrubbers.

I was wondering why the hell tritium was occurring in their turbine building, until I read that the plant was a boiling water reactor design. Radioactive steam directly off the core going to the turbines as opposed to separate loops in other designs. The turbine building very likely has provisions for radioactive ventilation, as they have active drainage. Oh and the tritium also always existed in small quantities due to normal operation. The issue is that it's mixing with abnormal groundwater ingress, which is of sufficient quantities to challenge active drainage capacity. Actual plant radioactive releases are likely unaffected.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

gd soldiers are invariably drooling idiots without exception who would almost immediately die out if left to their own devices without any supervision or intervention

I can guarantee he was doing that because he was ordered to, not because he had a bright idea

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I'm assuming OSHA doesn't have jurisdiction over the military?

Honestly, OSHA rules don't really apply unless someone dies at your workplace. Then they might send someone over to do a safety inspection.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Honestly, OSHA rules don't really apply unless someone dies at your workplace. Then they might send someone over to do a safety inspection.
From what people posted in previous OSHA threads, the military has its own OSHA-like entity that happens to be even more stringent.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
As awful as it can be I feel like the military would probably put more emphasis on worker safety, if only because of the cost of training people.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
That's kind of shocking, considering some of the people I've worked with who have been in the military.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Improbable Lobster posted:

As awful as it can be I feel like the military would probably put more emphasis on worker safety, if only because of the cost of training people.

I can guarantee that's why. That, and they don't want any lawsuit from something stupid like balancing a 10 foot step ladder on 2 folding cafeteria tables, while 3-4 soldiers half-assedly "hold on" to the base. Or to have to pay that solider benefits for the rest of his life because of such a stupid act.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Antoine Silvere posted:

thats pretty fuckin dope. did not know that was a thing

My favourite posts about AM radio tower ever made:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nude posted:

Also I'm surprised in all the threads this hasn't been posted (skip about a minute):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A_h2AjJaMw

"Free climbing is much quicker and less tiring. OSHA regulations allow for free climbing"

OKAYYYYYY, whatever you say man. I guess if clipping in would slow you down, why bother?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PostNouveau posted:

"Free climbing is much quicker and less tiring. OSHA regulations allow for free climbing"

OKAYYYYYY, whatever you say man. I guess if clipping in would slow you down, why bother?

I mean, I wouldn't be too surprised if free-climbing those ladder sections was actually safer than laboriously migrating your harness clips up continuously as you go. Three points of contact and away you go, and fatigue causing you to make a mistake is also something you want to avoid.

The real :stare: bit is not clipping on when precariously navigating the uneven sections.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just bring a parachute :frogbon:

Or climb up there in one of those wingsuits too

Glide safely back to the ground

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Zzulu posted:

Just bring a parachute :frogbon:

Or climb up there in one of those wingsuits too

Glide safely back to the ground

havent played just cause 3 yet it looks prtty good

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

why did i assume this was in china

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Larry Parrish posted:

I can guarantee he was doing that because he was ordered to, not because he had a bright idea

guess who gave that order

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Sestze posted:

From what people posted in previous OSHA threads, the military has its own OSHA-like entity that happens to be even more stringent.

they're called safety briefings and they don't do jackshit

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jabor posted:

I mean, I wouldn't be too surprised if free-climbing those ladder sections was actually safer than laboriously migrating your harness clips up continuously as you go. Three points of contact and away you go, and fatigue causing you to make a mistake is also something you want to avoid.

The real :stare: bit is not clipping on when precariously navigating the uneven sections.
The allowance for free climbing is supposedly backed up by incident reports on file which show injuries happen on a greater frequency when clipping in was required for ladders. It sort of makes sense with the realities of fall protection favoring falling from an overhanging surface like a scaffold or roof overhang, because otherwise conservation of angular momentum means even with an arrester you cartoon swing into a wall.

e. After a fall in a harness if you can't reach something to self rescue you're on a time limit because it turns out restricting arterial flow is unhealthy. There aren't a lot of great options for rescue up an aerial or similar tower.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 21, 2016

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

The allowance for free climbing is supposedly backed up by incident reports on file which show injuries happen on a greater frequency when clipping in was required for ladders. It sort of makes sense with the realities of fall protection favoring falling from an overhanging surface like a scaffold or roof overhang, because otherwise conservation of angular momentum means even with an arrester you cartoon swing into a wall.

I would believe it, I worked in the oilfield for the last few years and it had gotten overrun with safety (lots of rules and paperwork, anyway) during the big oil boom. We had to use fall protection a lot of stupid places where we would've either just hit the ground anyway or cartoon swung, but a lot of people didn't use it in confined spaces accessed through an overhanging hole where it would've worked just fine. I'm lucky my boss had common sense or it would've been miserable, but by the end we were having to carry 5 pairs of task-specific gloves on us the whole time.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

zedprime posted:

e. After a fall in a harness if you can't reach something to self rescue you're on a time limit because it turns out restricting arterial flow is unhealthy. There aren't a lot of great options for rescue up an aerial or similar tower.
So, if I understand you, deaths aren't counted in the comparison's injury count?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

tentative8e8op posted:

So, if I understand you, deaths aren't counted in the comparison's injury count?
Never looked into it in deatail but if I haven't been mislead and it is indeed a real study it would have been focused on deaths and permanent disability.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

why did i assume this was in china

Probably the most horrifying videos was the chinese escalator death clip.

Was caused by the chinese repair guys doing working on the escalator but not putting any sort of barriers/warning signs around the site.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

etalian posted:

Probably the most horrifying videos was the chinese escalator death clip.

Was caused by the chinese repair guys doing working on the escalator but not putting any sort of barriers/warning signs around the site.

Is this the one about the mother getting chewed up while she managed to pass her kid off to an attendant? I thought it was due to the maintenance guys taking off without screwing the access cover back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Every video of these makes it look like the most fun way to eventually end up dead.