Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

VendaGoat posted:

Every video of these makes it look like the most fun way to eventually end up dead.

I wonder if people did this stuff as much before they could show off with their go pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
A lot of them become bird food.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah but they get to do Cool Thing before they become bird food

:cool:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blistex posted:

Is this the one about the mother getting chewed up while she managed to pass her kid off to an attendant? I thought it was due to the maintenance guys taking off without screwing the access cover back on.

Yeah it was a pretty horrifying death.

I do like the more Darwin award death video of chinese people kicking their way through a closed elevator door.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Zzulu posted:

Yeah but they get to do Cool Thing before they become bird food

I think in some Real Sports episode they had this glider chick who married a glider dude. They were going down and through a hole like this and she heard him miss and slam into the rock.

Some other dude was trying to show off for the cameraman by hitting a balloon or something and his leg hit the ground before it and he went tumbling down the side of the loving mountain. It looked like he broke every bone in his body and I have no idea how he didn't instantly die.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

I'm assuming OSHA doesn't have jurisdiction over the military?

Honestly, OSHA rules don't really apply unless someone dies at your workplace. Then they might send someone over to do a safety inspection.

Almost everything safety or risk-assessment related in the military has a massive exception clause that states 'unless mission requirements dictates otherwise'. Of course a sane person would think 'well yeah, the military is dangerous, maybe you shouldn't care about proper ladder safety while a base is getting mortared or something', but it gets abused by a lot of people to where its more 'Commander said briefing has to get done by 4!!! Start stacking rolling chairs so we can start that projector!'

Also, you can't do things in the military like get ordered to do something retarded, get hurt doing it, and then sue your commander/the military for damages. You're just poo poo out of luck and hopefully the VA will cover it. The alternative is refusing and having Bad Things happen

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
You do have the legal prerogative to refuse to follow an unlawful order, which includes orders that present an unnecessary risk to personal safety. But your chain of command also has the prerogative to arbitrarily revoke anything and everything that contributes to your quality of life. So if you're an enlisted man you basically are at the mercy of every person above you in the chain who are more or less capable of loving you over as badly as they want, whenever they want, for any or no reason. It's possible that someone over them will intervene, but it's also possible they won't.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

zedprime posted:

The allowance for free climbing is supposedly backed up by incident reports on file which show injuries happen on a greater frequency when clipping in was required for ladders. It sort of makes sense with the realities of fall protection favoring falling from an overhanging surface like a scaffold or roof overhang, because otherwise conservation of angular momentum means even with an arrester you cartoon swing into a wall.

e. After a fall in a harness if you can't reach something to self rescue you're on a time limit because it turns out restricting arterial flow is unhealthy. There aren't a lot of great options for rescue up an aerial or similar tower.

A proper harness you can hang in for several hours without danger, you should have self rescue gear with you and never do work like that alone. Granted, if you have a broken limb or if otherwise incapacitated up in a tower you're hosed though.
Kitting a worker out in proper climbing gear could run up to $2000 I guess but I'd never work for someone that didn't require it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
this afternoon in Melbourne
http://i.imgur.com/KjWemM7.webm

RIP black car
http://i.imgur.com/wXe1rUy.webm

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

Yeah it was a pretty horrifying death.

I do like the more Darwin award death video of chinese people kicking their way through a closed elevator door.

She managed to save her kid though.

I would have thought big cranes were designed not to fall this fast when they lose pressure...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It wasn't anything to do with hydraulic pressure - if you look at the second angle, you can see that the cable holding things up appears to be no longer attached to the thing it's supposed to be attached to.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jabor posted:

It wasn't anything to do with hydraulic pressure - if you look at the second angle, you can see that the cable holding things up appears to be no longer attached to the thing it's supposed to be attached to.

Yeah, I guess it broke. I'd still expect some kind of safety device limiting the speed it could fall at.

Edit:

As an aside, why is it possible for car batteries to empty because someone left the lights on? it's trivial to separate power lines into important (including starting the engine) and unimportant functions (leave the AC/Heater on important) then turn off the unimportant line when the battery voltage drops below some voltage

Cumslut1895 fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 23, 2016

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Cumslut1895 posted:

As an aside, why is it possible for car batteries to empty because someone left the lights on?

At a guess, I'd say people leaving lights on probably constitutes a large part of battery sales.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Car wiring is a mess as it is, let's not over-complicate everything because of a few dumbasses who leave their lights on.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mobby_6kl posted:

Car wiring is a mess as it is, let's not over-complicate everything because of a few dumbasses who leave their lights on.

it'd require:
-A voltage regulator outputting the cut-off voltage
-a comparator/transistor/opamp
-a relay/power switch
-a separate non-vital line

all on a pcb, if automotive current allows that

I don't even need any reference material to design something to prevent this...

edit: and I'm sure there's a more elegant/efficient way to design this

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
More to the point, why doesn't every car come with a small solar panel on the roof to charge the battery and maybe run a fan?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 23, 2016

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

More to the point, why doesn't every car come with a small solar panel on the roof to charge the battery and maybe run a fan?

Cars come from Germany or Detroit or Japan where the sun never shines

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cumslut1895 posted:

it'd require:
-A voltage regulator outputting the cut-off voltage
-a comparator/transistor/opamp
-a relay/power switch
-a separate non-vital line

all on a pcb, if automotive current allows that

I don't even need any reference material to design something to prevent this...

edit: and I'm sure there's a more elegant/efficient way to design this
Or you could just kill the headlights after 5 minutes if you haven't purposefully turned parking lights on, which is a feature you can already find.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cumslut1895 posted:

Yeah, I guess it broke. I'd still expect some kind of safety device limiting the speed it could fall at.

Edit:

As an aside, why is it possible for car batteries to empty because someone left the lights on? it's trivial to separate power lines into important (including starting the engine) and unimportant functions (leave the AC/Heater on important) then turn off the unimportant line when the battery voltage drops below some voltage

They already have this. My car will turn the lights off after X amount of minutes (x being a value you can set), and will turn off the interior lights after something like 30 minutes if you leave them on.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Progress, then? My '02 CRV doesn't make a noise if you leave it with the lights on so I've been bitten a few times when I started driving early in the morning and finished when it was bright out.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

what if, like, they made the whole car run on the battery

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

At a guess, I'd say people leaving lights on probably constitutes a large part of battery sales.

I wonder what percent of cars don't have automatic lights at this point

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

VectorSigma posted:

what if, like, they made the whole car run on the battery

Or a secondary battery for operating lights, radio, etc for when the engine is off.

Or maybe a crank dynamo so that you could (very slowly) charge a dead battery enough to start the engine.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 23, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

zedprime posted:

Or you could just kill the headlights after 5 minutes if you haven't purposefully turned parking lights on, which is a feature you can already find.

poo poo, my 2012 car has a feature where you just leave the lights "on" all the time and the car turns them on only if:

1. The ignition is running.
2. The sensors on the car detect that it's dark enough to need them.

This results in the lights basically running from the time you crank the car until about 5 minutes after you turn the car off the evening commute, so it's not a problem any more.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My car in 1987 could turn the loving lights off with the ignition switch. My new car just beeps at me. They took the time to wire a sensor to trigger the beeper, just make them turn off.

On topic:
https://gfycat.com/SarcasticIdioticGavial

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Wade Wilson posted:

poo poo, my 2012 car has a feature where you just leave the lights "on" all the time and the car turns them on only if:

1. The ignition is running.
2. The sensors on the car detect that it's dark enough to need them.

This results in the lights basically running from the time you crank the car until about 5 minutes after you turn the car off the evening commute, so it's not a problem any more.
My 2008 truck has the same feature, with an option for "turn the lights on anyways" which only persists as long as the keys are in the ignition. It's real nice.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

They need to turn Cristo Redentor around so that you can high-five Jesus as you wingsuit past.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
There's a video of one of those wingsuit guys clipping a bridge that's got a crowd of people watching him on it but I'm not watching it again. I'm pretty sure you can see his legs flying off into the distance.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

Pyrotoad posted:

There's a video of one of those wingsuit guys clipping a bridge that's got a crowd of people watching him on it but I'm not watching it again. I'm pretty sure you can see his legs flying off into the distance.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ac4_1330294369&comments=1

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If ya wingsuit ya gotta be prepared to get gibbed like you're in an old school videogame and the protagonist just shot you up with a rocket. It's just how it be

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

Pyrotoad posted:

Did they ever find the leg?

Edit: Never mind, saw it was fatal

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
no

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
there has to be a video out there somewhere of a drunk russian teenager trying to IRL rocket jump, surely?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Gorilla Salad posted:

My favourite posts about AM radio tower ever made:

Once, back in the 90's right by the HarMar mall (Twin Cities), I thought I was going insane.

I was about 11. I was sitting in the back seat of the car and I told my parents to turn off the radio. They said it was off. I said, "but I hear voices". They insisted everything was off. I kept insisting that the voices needed to stop. Finally, I realized that I could hear the voices in just about anything metal in the car just by leaning my head against it. The whole car was acting as a receiver. That station must have been over powered that day beyond belief or there was a bad ground somewhere.

CSB

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

If you want to cross that bridge, you have to pay the toll.

:getin:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Who the gently caress brings children to BASE jumping / flight suit stunts?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mithaldu posted:

Who the gently caress brings children to BASE jumping / flight suit stunts?

Cool parents.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Mozi posted:

Progress, then? My '02 CRV doesn't make a noise if you leave it with the lights on so I've been bitten a few times when I started driving early in the morning and finished when it was bright out.

I have an 02 Civic which does the same thing and I've drained my battery about 3 times. It sucks.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
There was a mishap in the UK today at a power station being demolished. Sounds like the explosives went off early, 1 dead and 3 missing.

Pics and videos, nothing graphic.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-35641766

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

`Nemesis posted:

There was a mishap in the UK today at a power station being demolished. Sounds like the explosives went off early, 1 dead and 3 missing.

Pics and videos, nothing graphic.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-35641766

I wonder why they were in there if it was in the process of being demolished