Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

calvus posted:

I wonder why they were in there if it was in the process of being demolished

Before you can blow up a building, someone has to go in there and you know, place the explosives, wire them together, etc. People also need to be close by to run wires and such. The explosives do not magically appear in the rickety old buildings, which are often unsafe which is why they're being demolished in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
It seems that there is a fair bit of prep work as well. They don't just blow it up all willy nilly, they prep the structure to weaken it in key areas. Reduces the amounts of explosives needed, helps ensure it collapses in the desired fashion/direction, etc.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Before you can blow up a building, someone has to go in there and you know, place the explosives, wire them together, etc. People also need to be close by to run wires and such. The explosives do not magically appear in the rickety old buildings, which are often unsafe which is why they're being demolished in the first place.

Figured it would be easier to just demolish it using a wrecking ball so poo poo like this wouldn't happen

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

calvus posted:

Figured it would be easier to just demolish it using a wrecking ball so poo poo like this wouldn't happen

It's got a giant tower that would fall and crush a wrecking machine. Check out Fred Dibnah, steeplejack, on youtube

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

white mans burping posted:

there has to be a video out there somewhere of a drunk russian teenager trying to IRL rocket jump, surely?

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Always be embedding

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Honestly what else was he expecting?

http://i.imgur.com/vIL8FJM.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/mzeo18t.mp4

Nude fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 24, 2016

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

`Nemesis posted:

There was a mishap in the UK today at a power station being demolished. Sounds like the explosives went off early, 1 dead and 3 missing.

Pics and videos, nothing graphic.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-35641766

Pity about the people who died, but god am I happy that eyesore is finally getting demolished. The power station absolutely dominates Didcot, to the point where announcements at the train station tell you to move "towards" or "away from" the power station.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

The concussions increase risk of further misses. Also wife concussions.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

So did that guy manage to keep his balls or was it all blown off?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

DemeaninDemon posted:

The concussions increase risk of further misses. Also wife concussions.
That's why you do that trick while wearing a second helmet.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Have another hardhat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDZVEwUf4nk

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

He really did himself in on that one, he put so much force into the shovel

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Serak posted:

Always be embedding

I never know if table breaking is still bannable.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

The gently caress? How the hell fast was he going?

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
What a strange trick

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Solice Kirsk posted:

The gently caress? How the hell fast was he going?

Forklifts are pretty much designed to take out support columns. Lifting things is secondary.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

H110Hawk posted:

Oh man I love it. Not surprising, it's a small cross-section piece of tempered high-quality steel (the edge of which is often sharpened) that tapers for strength, backed by a totally rigid 3000lb+ object. It's essentially a high-density high-speed battering ram (that can lift things, I guess).

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Forklifts are pretty much designed to take out support columns. Lifting things is secondary.

This is a true statement.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

mostlygray posted:

Once, back in the 90's right by the HarMar mall (Twin Cities), I thought I was going insane.

I was about 11. I was sitting in the back seat of the car and I told my parents to turn off the radio. They said it was off. I said, "but I hear voices". They insisted everything was off. I kept insisting that the voices needed to stop. Finally, I realized that I could hear the voices in just about anything metal in the car just by leaning my head against it. The whole car was acting as a receiver. That station must have been over powered that day beyond belief or there was a bad ground somewhere.

CSB

I got to experience the same sort of thing about 15 years ago. There was a religious radio station transmitter site on my dead end street and during certain times of day the signal was so strong you could hear it through just about every electronic device in the house. This was not in the boondocks, it was a populated area. I'm pretty sure the FCC eventually shut them down.

I guess crazy religious assholes feel that gaaaaaawd allows them to broadcast at higher strengths than they are allowed.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Residents near the Roxborough Antenna Farm here in Philly have reported AM signals coming through the plumbing inside their houses.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Residents near the Roxborough Antenna Farm here in Philly have reported AM signals coming through the plumbing inside their houses.

My house in Florida had this. You could hear it on the telephone, or if you took a speaker and put it on like the water faucet or unpainted window frame. There was an AM station in the swamp behind our house.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I get russian radio on my speakers when they are turned off

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

H110Hawk posted:

Never break a table again with timg for your large images!

Cum Galleon
Oct 16, 2004

Your shipment has arrived.

Hollow Talk posted:

Pity about the people who died, but god am I happy that eyesore is finally getting demolished. The power station absolutely dominates Didcot, to the point where announcements at the train station tell you to move "towards" or "away from" the power station.

The building that collapsed is what, 60 metres tall? and is still somehow dwarfed by the chimney. Everyone says it is an eyesore but before it collapsed it looked like a nob and balls if you looked at it from the right direction. Now it looks like it has a bollock missing.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Uncle Enzo posted:

Oh man I love it. Not surprising, it's a small cross-section piece of tempered high-quality steel (the edge of which is often sharpened) that tapers for strength, backed by a totally rigid 3000lb+ object. It's essentially a high-density high-speed battering ram (that can lift things, I guess).

That's why forklift training courses are 1/5 how to drive the thing and 4/5 for the love of god be careful. They have so much low-gear power that if you're not paying attention you will have impaled anything you hit by the time you notice the collision.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

My Q-Face posted:

Never break a table again with timg for your large images!

Does that work with embedded videos? If you look at what I was replying to you can see what I am talking about.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

H110Hawk posted:

Does that work with embedded videos? If you look at what I was replying to you can see what I am talking about.

I don't know. I'm on the phone app so I don't see a lot of table breaking.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

Can confirm it broke my table. But I don't mind. Let me see if timg works.
http://i.imgur.com/ZjcXzaK.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/8iR01IB.gifv

Edit: Nope. No it doesn't.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Holy poo poo, that second accident is hosed up. Really wouldn't wanna be in a contruction vehicle as it jumps into a hole in the ground.

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...
I saw a crane that was drilling helical piles get caught up, twist, and smack into the ground. If it would have gone left instead of right, it would have instantly killed 10 people. Even in the safest workplaces you're always a oval office hair away from getting your god damned head crushed by the cruel hand of fate.

But god damnit the money is so good and who the hell needs all ten fingers anyway?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Stonelegs posted:

I saw a crane that was drilling helical piles get caught up, twist, and smack into the ground. If it would have gone left instead of right,

So I suppose it's just a coincidence that those ten people were all standing on the same side of the machine, and no-one was on the other side?

Nothing to do with the fact that the motor is always turning the same direction, so you already know which way the machine is going to want to move if the screw gets caught up?

Elliot2lazy
Jun 9, 2015

by Cowcaster
If you operate or plan to operate a forklift you will probably learn more from this spoof vid than any bullshit 80's video they give u to watch.
It gets better after the first min or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OOg7vL3rNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyp0AtsODx4
http://i.imgur.com/jtGzklk.gifv

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Got some OC from my job today. theres a box of matches stored in the flammable contents storage cabinet

edit: jesus i didn't think a cell phone image would be so massive.

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 25, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Uncle Wemus posted:

Got some OC from my job today

Quoting this so so I can try to see what the gently caress it was.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Gorilla Salad posted:

Quoting this so so I can try to see what the gently caress it was.

I... don't get it?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pistol_Pete posted:

I... don't get it?

Table breaking like nobodies business.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Uncle Wemus posted:

Got some OC from my job today

Matches. Bad place for matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Elliot2lazy posted:

If you operate or plan to operate a forklift you will probably learn more from this spoof vid than any bullshit 80's video they give u to watch.
It gets better after the first min or so.
I embedded it so more people can enjoy this crazy b-horror flick. Particularly five minutes in with the forklift.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

Propaganda Hour posted:

Matches. Bad place for matches.

I like that the can says "Do it" and is pointing directly at the matches lol.

Nude fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 25, 2016