Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

mostlygray posted:

Unloading trucks on grade instead of at a dock sucks. Manual pallet jacks don't have brakes so I could see that happening if you're slightly down-grade. I only let my guys do that once when I was a warehouse manager. It was so sketchy that I forbade it afterwards. It's not worth it. Someone will get hurt.

When I had to do it, I had them hand offload instead. That pallet jack is not controllable. It takes way longer, but no-one gets hurt.

Does not most decent trucks have controllable pneumatic suspension which you can use to level the truck? Also good back lifts have stoppers you can deploy from stopping this from happening. I guess they don't come on every back lift but they are worth the premium, even when unloading at docks if they're not at the correct height.

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

zedprime posted:

The allowance for free climbing is supposedly backed up by incident reports on file which show injuries happen on a greater frequency when clipping in was required for ladders. It sort of makes sense with the realities of fall protection favoring falling from an overhanging surface like a scaffold or roof overhang, because otherwise conservation of angular momentum means even with an arrester you cartoon swing into a wall.

e. After a fall in a harness if you can't reach something to self rescue you're on a time limit because it turns out restricting arterial flow is unhealthy. There aren't a lot of great options for rescue up an aerial or similar tower.

A proper harness you can hang in for several hours without danger, you should have self rescue gear with you and never do work like that alone. Granted, if you have a broken limb or if otherwise incapacitated up in a tower you're hosed though.
Kitting a worker out in proper climbing gear could run up to $2000 I guess but I'd never work for someone that didn't require it.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I'm sure they think the local version of osha is more of a suggestion.