Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mustached Demon posted:

Oregon and New Jersey looking good.

Russia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U76N1QcJfN4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DiHK posted:

I don't know about you guys but my poo poo tends to float.

You have too much fat in your diet then

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

This kills the cab

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You should've seen the thread where shut-in goons had an attack of the vapors when they learned that many fish markets, and fish and chip shops, wrap their goods in newspaper.

Serving fish and chips in newspaper in the UK has all but died out because of the ink

Papa Emeritus III posted:

EDIT: my English is a second language. Irrational*? Is that what I'm going for?

Yep.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Legally shops aren’t supposed to call the primary condiment “vinegar” or anything with that word in it.

It’s just “non-brewed condiment”.

Wrong, non-brewed condiment is just a cheaper alternative to vinegar which a lot of chippies use for the price. Obviously it can’t be called vinegar because its not vinegar, and shops aren’t allowed to put it in traditional vinegar bottles to mislead the customers.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Maybe I misunderstood but the way it reads implies they don’t ever use vinegar.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Weembles posted:

Some countries have a yellow light before turning green. Nobody is baffled about why the light turns yellow before a red.

Are there places with three light traffic lights that don’t go red - red + amber - green - amber - red? Because if you have an amber light you need to have some way of differentiating amber before red and amber before green.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I drove for 3 months across North America, I obviously wasn’t paying too much attention to what your traffic lights were doing. Red + yellow makes sense when most people have manual gearboxes I guess.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

mostlygray posted:

I'm not sure how no-one knows that you can look left and right to see when the light is turning.

The two very obvious reasons that 1. There might not be any traffic on the crossing road and 2. There are plenty of kinds of junctions/situations requiring traffic lights other than simple crossroads

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

wolrah posted:

Personally I'm all for the idea of a countdown timer, but that idea's been brought up in the traffic engineering thread a few times with good reasons why it's not done.

I live in Turkey and they have them here, can you briefly elaborate or link the posts explaining why they’re a bad idea? I don’t particularly like them but I’m not sure why.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

is this a counterstrike joke?

AK is short for Alaska.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

neonbregna posted:

Imagine a fixed circular troth with spokes that lead towards the center. Now imagine an open ended pipe above the troth that rotates around producing a poo poo waterfall.

I hit upon this idea as well but then realised you still need pressurised water to go into the system, which I found a lot harder to work out.

Although one rotating building has already been built in Brazil, and according to what I read the plumbing is achieved through some technique or technology similar to how planes are refuelled, whatever that means

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Americans are so cute when you talk about stick shifts and manuals

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Mozi posted:

yeah, they don't know how great it is to have a continuously variable transmission to maximize their efficiency

Ah yes, efficiency and fuel economy, two things right at the top of the list for Americans choosing cars

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I just had to look up rolling coal and what the gently caress America

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Didn’t Dante’s peak have an old grandma cooked to death in a tin boat being sailed over a lake to safety because that was fairly metal iirc

Child me very much enjoyed all those lovely 90s disaster movies fully aware of how bollocks they were, although seeing those painful Volcano clips suggest I should never attempt to rewatch them. Having said that I’d only ever watch them while flicking round the channels, a now dead hobby, so I doubt I’m in any danger of that.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Yes I’m absolutely sure the AI is able to distinguish between a large car shaped balloon and a car

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Same page dude

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

It’s a good protest when kids in school turn up in skirts because shorts aren’t part of the official school uniform, for builders to be doing it is just dumb

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Sticking with our friends to the east, this story brought to mind that lovely, racist yet still terrifying book by the American guy who worked for a regional airline over there

quote:

A co-pilot smoking an e-cigarette on an Air China flight caused the plane to start a rapid emergency descent, investigators have said.

They say he tried to hide the fact that he was smoking but accidentally shut off the air-conditioning, causing oxygen levels to fall.

The crew on Tuesday's flight from Hong Kong to the city of Dalian released oxygen masks and brought the plane more than 6,500m (21,000ft) lower.

It later returned to cruising altitude.

An initial probe by China's Civil Aviation Administration in China has shown that the co-pilot tried to turn off a fan to stop smoke reaching the passenger cabin without telling the captain, but turned off the air-conditioning unit instead.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

As a Brit I stubbornly support separate hot and cold taps in sinks because it’s what im used to. 95% of the time I’m never using the hot tap anyway as cold water is fine for pretty much every reason you’d wanna use a sink, bar maybe filling it up with hot water when you’re having a shave. Maybe I’m just a loving idiot bathroom fitting luddite but I find mixer taps are never particularly easy to use. I dislike most modern fittings that seem to have decided on angular pointy metallic slabs being the preferred control method, but with no universally agreed upon method of activation - pulling, pushing, lifting, turning etc, and usually it’s difficult to work out which direction is hot and which is cold. There might be a tiny little red or blue spot somewhere on the tap, but are you supposed to push it in the direction of that colour for more of that heat? Or does the visible colour correspond to what heat you’re getting? I far prefer just a cold tap I can turn on and off without needing the lights on and my glasses on to work out how to use.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

My friend’s house has the most egregious examples of bathroom fittings which piss me off. The sink itself is godawful, a clear glass shallow recessed bowl with flat surfaces on either side for your stuff. It always looks filthy because the clear class shows up every little dried bit of soap or toothpaste residue, and the shallowness of the bowl means it’s very easy for water and suds to splash out and over the sides and leave stains. The tap is hideous, a thin joystick like metal wand with zero indication of where hot and cold are. It has a circular range of movement, with pulled fully towards you being off, and then pushing it back or sideways turning it on but you just have to guess and wait to find out what temp water you’re getting. I guess it was fashionable whenever the bathroom was last renovated but now just looks incredibly tacky and dated. I guess having grown up in an old Victorian house with classic porcelain fittings and separate brass taps has really ruined my ability to function in most modern bathrooms.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

This makes it sound like even figuring out which tap is hot is difficult to you.

Leave it in the middle and you get lukewarm water.

I never actively want lukewarm water, and half the time I actively don’t want it because I’m filling a glass from the sink to drink from.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

On the one hand, I definitely have been annoyed by poorly designed sink fixtures, but this sounds a lot like those people in Oregon who thought pumping their own gas was one step down from brain surgery.

I realise this is a ridiculous hill to die upon and I’m exaggerating my difficulties for comic effect. However I think any amount of time spent considering how to use a loving sink is wasted time and it’s never a problem I’ve had with two tap sinks.

ekuNNN posted:

Haha, I don't think you get to call other people's tastes tacky or outdated here

A simple clean white porcelain or ceramic sink or basin with brass taps is functional and aesthetically versatile and will continue to be in demand a long time after whatever current bathroom fitting trend de rigueur has passed. Fight me

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

schmug posted:

It's not the confusion, it's the apathy.

I’d say it’s the opposite of apathy. Taps are serious business. I have nothing against the idea of mixed taps per se and if there was a universally understood and implemented standard whereby they all had the same range of movement and one direction always equalled hot and the other cold I’d be totally fine with them. As it is in practice they don’t and I dislike the few wasted seconds when I’m faced with the particular quirks of a new overdesigned tap. I realise I’ve now probably spent more time arguing about taps on the Internet than I will ever spend in real life confused by new taps so gently caress me right

Edit: while we’re at it, large/small push buttons for toilet flushes piss me right off too

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 23, 2018

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

schmug posted:

So you can't be bothered to take "the few wasted seconds when I’m faced with the particular quirks of a new overdesigned tap." As in you don't care that you are using cold water to clean yourself with.

I know this is GBS, but taking a few seconds is hardly caring about something. Meh, Might just be me,

What are you talking about? Where did I say anything about not cleaning myself? If I had any apathy about this subject I wouldn’t have launched into this ridiculous derail in the first place. Evidently I care too much.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The best design I've seen is one with two separate levers/selectors, one for temp and one for flow. So you can set the temp where you like it and just leave it there between uses.

In the opposite direction of bathroom fitting mockery, I’ve found nearly all showers in the UK to have some variation of this clearly superior theme, yet when I stayed in 30+ different houses/motels/hotels travelling across the USA a couple of years ago most of the showers were poo poo.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

schmug posted:

Where did I say in that post that you weren't? I actually specified that cold water was alright by you to clean yourself with.

You said it in the post after, and also heavily implied you believe some correlation between the temperature of the water and the level of cleanliness attained. Do you seriously believe there’s any difference in washing your hands at the temperatures we perceive to be hot or cold coming from the tap? For it to make any difference it’d also be causing you deep skin burns in less than a second.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

It's really normal in Europe, the small one is for when you've peed, and uses less water. It's just a handy way to save water and i dont understand why someone would get annoyed by it

I don’t think it’s very intuitive design. In my mind the larger button should correspond to the function you have to use more.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Itt North Americans are confused and angered by a water saving feature.

Perhaps if we make the toilets burn gasoline it'll be more your speed?

What about we call the small button fun size and the big button super size would that help?

You obviously weren’t following my previous idiot derail but I’m British and Angry At Bathroom Fittings.

If you want to have variable flush control just use a single flush handle or button which allows itself to be stopped when you’re done flushing. Or design the flush so that it releases less water anyway, and if you’ve done something catastrophic in there then you can just flush it twice.

I should point out I do know how mixer taps and double flush button toilets work. I don’t get cold sweats and paralysed by indecision every time I use a new bathroom. I just dislike over engineered unintuitive control methods which don’t improve upon anything at all. Maybe I’m projecting but I’d be very surprised if most people don’t just hit the biggest and therefore easiest button available whatever they’ve done. If the aim is reduction in overall toilet water usage I’m sure there’s better ways of doing it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

schmug posted:

there is no way some one didn't die there. Is there a story to disprove this?

I'm pretty sure there's 7 people on top who fall with it and you can see 7 people getting up out of the rubble. Of course there could have been people inside the structure we can't see who are more hosed.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I assumed once they've fallen through all that poo poo they're no longer gonna be yellow and pink and also I thought I could see a couple of guys standing up from where they fell, but I could be mistaken.

Either way the guy on the far left who somehow surfs it down and manages not to get horribly impaled is quite impressive.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Memento posted:

It looks like England, so that makes sense.

The architecture is absolutely not British, more like the benelux region. Also the cars are driving on the right.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Every time those male to male power cables get posted people mention how they're only seen as useful by idiots who wired their Christmas trees the wrong way round, and it makes no sense to me - are American Christmas lights fundamentally different from the ones in the UK I'm used to? All the ones I know are just one chain of lights on a wire that loops back on itself at the end back to a small box, usually with some kind of buttons to change the light settings, and that's attached to a male plug.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Every outdoor set I've seen in the US has been a male plug on one end, and a female socket on the other, with no sequencer box or anything. They're for lighting the outside of a house, and you chain them up if your house is absurdly wide due to suburbs.

I guess I’ve just never seen it because this kind of outdoor decoration is rarely done over here. That being said, we’ve had some big trees at home (9/10 foot) and never needed anything more than one chain of lights. I don’t understand what happens with the loose female end though if you’re only using one chain. Isn’t it an dangerous to have a socket exposed to the elements? Excuse my general ignorance on this topic.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I read about the limousine crash in upstate New York where literally all 18 occupants of the limo died and I'm wondering just how grim being the first responder to open the door was. Must have looked like a tin of beans inside

Also how it's ridiculous how the limo looked perfectly recognisable from the outside but still no-one survived, thanks to the occupants not being required to wear seatbelts (or I guess the thing not even having them)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

But cleaning lint is so satisfying

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Consider it a donation to lowtax's spine and also stop being a bitch about it, once you explained then people were just joking around about it

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Oh that mother fucker. He was not found guilty of voluntary manslaughter because 12 other people fired. :wtc: Fire the US police, literally. I am surprised the police aren't getting ambushed on the regular instead of it being some imaginary thing that they justify every action with.

I know this is slight whataboutery but I’m always surprised/amused when Americans slam the UK for having CCTV cameras everywhere yet seem to tacitly accept living under an engorged and militarised police force more than happy to brutally murder you at the drop of a hat then pat themselves on the back for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Sydin posted:

Boy is he lucky that chainsaw got thrown in the opposite direction of his body.

Having just taken a log to the nuts with enough force that his balls are popping out of his nostrils I think the guy would disagree with your definition of lucky