Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

drunkill posted:

This kills the substation

A few thousand homes without power.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...925-p52uxi.html
Squirel: hold my beer

https://www.wbrz.com/news/power-restored-after-squirrel-causes-morning-outage-in-downtown-baton-rouge/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jabor posted:

I can't tell if that guillotine has two separate controls to keep both hands occupied, or if the operator is just exercising proper discipline in keeping their free hand away from it.
The hands are stood off exactly at the edge of the gap in the screen so I'd feel safe wagering its a good two hand control interlock.

Also it has a screen and isn't just a scrapyard scrap of metal attached to a hydraulic press so its probably made in the last 20 years with the modicum of engineering that asks for a two hand interlock.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GotLag posted:

"Steel cap shoes amputate toes" is on the same level as "seatbelts trap you in burning cars"
It's a handy delivery package of toes to surgery.

Which is 500x better than your foot turning into inoperable body slime.

If someone's really worried about it they can pay the extra $50 for the metatarsal armor.

But lol at the idea caps are somehow more dangerous than a closed shoe.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Powershift posted:

I didn't know Volkswagen made networking equipment :haw:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2688509-Coolant-migration!-!-Please-help!

on the MKIV Golfs it used to migrate to the tail lights.
*Nodding* da ist blinker fluid

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

wesleywillis posted:

Thats all well and good there that you want to turn out competent operators, but how in the name of gently caress does that help the ECONOMY?
How can people get jobs if there are actual standards that they have to meet in order to operate something that can seriously gently caress poo poo up if mishandled?
Don't worry, the spirits of the free market will surely correct this misguided venture when it turns out the worker themself can't afford the certification and the businesses aren't going to pony up for any more than a CBT on top of a (forged) driver's license .

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think it was the pulp drying machine at the tissue mill I interned at that was original 30s vintage machinery. The steam engine was long replaced with an electric motor but it still used transmission belts to drive every rotor. They'd been mostly safety caged but there were a few sections where the entire machine was just caged off because there was no smart way to separate moving and static.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Spins posted:

Attn beloved OSHA thread that I lurk but never have much content sorry
But I do now
:siren:

This looks totally dangerous- is it???
SAVE A GOON
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902292
Pros: using a push stick
Cons: while also using his hand

I will rate as 3 safety stars

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rahul posted:

I dunno if it quite counts as OSHA, but it made me do a double-take when I came across this today. You know, I always thought it was a myth, but maybe water really does flow backwards here down under.

We had a supercell tear through and all but tornado the site and the firewater tank float gauge got torn and twisted up. Everybody kept asking people what the tank level was and coming up with more elaborate jokes to describe what level the gauge made it look like. I don't remember any of the good ones because there probably wasn't a good one and the joke was how the gauge looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Platystemon posted:

I started a thought with “Uber’s self driving car is more like Nazi ‘science’ than it is to…”

That’s where it ends because I cannot thing of a good example where innocent people had to be sacrificed for the greater good. It largely is a thing that exists only in the imaginations of philosophers and fascists.

That’s a problem for the whole concept.

The closest I can come to a good example is early aviation, but the risks there were mostly borne by consenting pioneers. Anywhere they weren’t it, it should be denounced—ærodromes near population centres, for example.
Risk management is inseparable from the calculus of human life improvement. Farms, mines, and factories are operated with the idea that at least a few eggs are going to break to make the society better omelette. Even with state of the art protections there are a lot of jobs that are dangerous or have high chances of debilitation. Insurance companies sit around speculating how dangerous it is or isn't to make a profit off the idea.

But I think the relevant point here is even those dangerous jobs draw the line that the worker is compensated for and made aware of those risks and a lot of the gung ho self driving car folks lean toward the opposite where the rich person in the car should be protected over everything else on the road.