Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

The concussions increase risk of further misses. Also wife concussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FrankieGoes posted:

I just spent 8 hours in an MSHA mandated safety class and the woman next to me the entire day was a super bitchy engineer and I also didn't win the $50 Chili's gift card because I didn't know where the yellow copy of the 5000-23 went. And it actually took the entire 8 hours like it's legally required to, unlike the 6.5 hours that slacker instructors usually end up giving.

Dumb engineers.

Heard one wanted to heat-stress test their doodad and asked to stick it in the ICP-OES torch. Like it was a Bunsen burner or something. Thing's around the temperature of the surface of the sun. It's one purpose in life is to obliterate any matter it touches. No we do not want your poo poo all over the icp chamber.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

What does it do to bone

We could find out but, as pointed out, we'd have to prepare the bone for analysis in an appropriate solvent. I suggest dissolving it in HF.

The thing probably wouldn't even stay lit long enough to toss something in it, sadly. Not to mention the safety switch on the door that turns it off.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Ruggan posted:

That's a stupid qualifier. The sun's surface is only ~6,000C, but the sun is ~15,000,000C at its core and ~1,000,000C+ in its corona (which surrounds the sun and extends millions of km into space). The sun's surface is the coolest part of or anywhere around the sun by orders of magnitude. To imply that the torch comes anywhere close to the heat of the sun just to get people to go "wow that's hot!!!" is pretty misleading imo.

Nerd.

poo poo'll still make carbon its bitch.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Ruggan posted:

The richest man in the homeless shelter makes as much money as I did when I was 16!!!!

Maybe that's not saying much... Ya he's pretty poor, but he can still afford that Mickey Ds

You sound like someone who sucks to work with so yeah engineer.

We have these face shields at work.

The dumb thing covers my chin but not neck. The gown also leaves the neck open. Yeah I'm sticking to the standard pull down face shield for reagents that want to kill me OK thanks. Though it's cool being Darth Quimicius.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Forklift drivers: more scary than plasma torches.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

kizudarake posted:

Which mine are you with? I work for Joy Global Underground.

Fun bit: msha does mines as well as rock quarries. Anytime something comes out of the ground really.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Humphreys posted:

Oh goodie! We had energy and mines inspectors today at one of our company sites. They are currently seizing documents illegally. Why illegally? They can arrive unannounced and be on site for 15 minutes before being asked to leave. After that they need to make an appointment. So they just ignored the request to leave.

Tomorrow I will have some information about the fallout of a) why they are seizing documents, b) without a warrant c) why no staff stopped them and d) the result of the police call about illegal trespass, theft etc.

Lucky for me I have nothing to do with that part of the company!

It's not illegal if it's part of a permit or license to operate. Part of being an employer.

Something along the lines of "if you employ dudes then you're subject to OSHA, msha, etc."

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Humphreys posted:

I can't argue with or against you on that - been a while since I was up on it, just taking managers word for it. Either way its OSHA scootenfruity. The bosses thinking they are safe and can order inspectors away after 15 minutes (and use that as their way of covering poo poo up) or it's even better the other way.

Your managers seem like the "ARE FREEDUM" types. They are wrong. Laws set up to protect workers from that kind of crap. Bonus points since OSHA rarely comes unless someone dies, complains, or a bunch of dudes hurt themselves badly. They'll check up on previous violators too if they don't play along.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

A White Guy posted:

For real. Any time someone bitches about OSHA being an example of onerous government regulation, its easy to think of all the million CSB investigations where One.Tiny.Thing ended up killing a whole bunch of people. Safety and safe practices are not obvious things - they're the result of a process of trail and error where people have gotten really hosed up/died.

How dare those filthy workers demand safe conditions?

*spends thousands training new employees after old ones lose limbs/lives pushing out one more product*

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Humphreys posted:

UPDATE:
Site was shutdown by the government today!

Stay safe, blue collar goon.

What for?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FrankieGoes posted:

There's useful stickling and not so useful stickling though. When you get two or three citations for smoking near a diesel tank when the "evidence" is cig butts that are pretty obviously 4 months old and got pushed there by a snowplow, I'm not so sure it's really doing any good.

But in general I have no problem with MSHA. poo poo like that isn't good, as is the tendency that I've seen where if they "like" you you're in good shape but if they get pissed at you you're totally hosed (i.e. what is really a non issue and either would have been ignored or at best they tell you to fix it and don't write any paper, turns into "I'm gonna write this same citation 14 times.")

The idea is when something fucks up in a mine people don't get hurt. They die.

That fire? Have fun with no more oxygen.

Support structure breaks? Don't burrow into the rock just right? Have fun digging dudes out.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Red Suit posted:

Some workers are climbing into the kilns right now without locking them out to jury rig a fix for our pallets not aligning properly.

A dude died not long ago in a similar situation at a tuna plant.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was probably a red headed mouse spider:

Mouse spiders look really similar to funnel web spiders, certainly close enough for people to go "Nope, ain't going anywhere near that fucker, goodbye!" Their venom is pretty darned toxic but there's no record of their bite ever causing a fatality in Australia.

No one wants to be the first.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

BattleMaster posted:

i don't want to get in trouble with my supervisor :ohdear:

Super powers will shut up your nagging supervisor quick.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Arrath posted:

Hydraulic oil certainly can be but that usually requires a pinhole leak from a pressurized line to aerosolize enough of it to go fuel-air, or just spray right on the exhaust manifold. And that's how a big rear end Excavator burns to the ground!

But a dripping leak into a bucket shouldn't be too bad. If the smell of the oil is that nasty it might be gear oil? I dunno.

You can burn sand if you try hard enough.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Angela Christine posted:

For serious get some Omega 3 capsules. It has for real non-woo health benefits, and the most common side-effect is fish burps. http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/omega-3-fatty-acids-fact-sheet

Fish burps are pretty unpleasant tho.

Lift some weights too.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Warm water doesn't get your hands cleaner than cold water. It's a massive waste of energy.

While it's not hot enough to kill bacteria, the warm water helps remove bacteria by removing dirt/oil that the bacteria thrive in.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The sanitation section of OSHA 1910 talks about back flow stoppers to protect potable water. Also talks about maintaining potable water systems which could suck a mountain of dicks for a site's entire water system.

Also don't eat/drink in laboratory space with nasty chemicals. I don't even touch anything ungloved at the work benches.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Does OSHA have a set limit on cranes per acre?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well sometimes one isn't enough

I'm imagining one crane operator loving it all up by not hitting up when Crane Commander says up. loving Jim. always Jim.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Coworkers at my old job full of spinning death wheels used to get mad at me for yelling at them to clip their long hair to their scalp. No you are not Nicolas Cage.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Mario kart looks good these days.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Blistex posted:

You want nuclear waste to be touched by absolutely nobody for the rest of all time? Bury it 50 feet underground where there are no natural resources at all. I'm talking about in the middle of the most useless, burned out, patch of worthless desert in the US. Now who the hell is going to bother to exert the effort to dig 50 feet down in an area where they know they are going to get nothing useful and it's uncomfortable to work in? Nobody. The only way someone will find it is if they are walking around with some sort of device that detects radiation, and when they find it they will say, "oh, there are trace amounts of radiation that are 400 times background levels. . . better move along".

Putting some sort of a marker near nuclear waste is the absolutely worst thing you could ever do, as you are literally marking the location and creating interest in the site.

Bury it in your mom got it.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
There's a canister on the floor that says Arsenic - DO NOT OPEN. Looks like an industrial style vacuum can. At least the can says nilfisk and they make floor cleaners. Hmmm I kinda want to open it.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
No sorry they're out of diazepam so you just get phenazepam instead.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
poo poo way to go.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

jamal posted:

A boss burnt his arm pretty good cutting the lid off an old fuel drum with a plasma cutter. He asked me to do it first and i was like, no way, and took about 20 steps back. As soon as he started cutting a huge jet of flame shot out.

Good job you're awesome for refusing unsafe work. Now hopefully your boss learned that lesson too.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Flood perhaps?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

haveblue posted:

How is this any different from any large animal falling in, which I imagine happens naturally every so often?

Humans aren't organic free-range.

Free will and all kind of screws with that.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm a little tea pot short and stout.

Here is my handle here is my spout.

Tip me over and hear me shou... OH GOD IT BURNS.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Makes a good poster to put next to the meat grinder.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Hermes Conrad would have made that.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm the guy at the top of the stairs with the "gently caress." look on his face.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

That's how you finally get rid of holed up undies.

Seriously clean the lint trap. Don't bypass the heat fuse.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

kicktd posted:

Started working for a new company today that's a manufacturer of supplements. I'm in IT as a web developer and have to do all the OSHA training still. During the walk around with the safety supervisor he told us about a guy cleaning out a machine took off the guard and stuck his hand in to clean it, yeah he get got his arm crushed :stonk:, I'll stick to IT.

Another successful lock-out, tag-out training!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Newest sonic game looking good.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

For those who don't know much about chemistry: seeing a naming format of number prefix-methyl metal/cation is code for "I (probably) want to kill you."

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jerry Cotton posted:

Definitely not applicable here but stuff that's bundled all messy-like stays good for much longer than stuff that's stacked neatly because you get a lot more air circulation. This is especially true for metal stored outside because of loving capillary action.

Until the bands break and the load loses all value since it killed some dude.

The bands are tough enough to hold it but yeah any movement of the load can snap one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Never underestimate the lack of fucks given for safety by office folk.