Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gromit posted:

Terrifying!

NOPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

poo poo like that makes me happy that i only have to work with radioactive sources and high voltage power supply in the safety of a basement lab

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SneakyFrog posted:

if you arent trying to give yourself superpowers i dont even know what to say

i don't want to get in trouble with my supervisor :ohdear:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

simplyhorribul posted:

A type of OSHA question; we had some labs at school about gamma radiation and I found out the piece of safety procedures of neutron source, which really made me squirm. However I tried to google about that later and couldn't find any non-jargon explonation why so hefty procedures. Obviously I understand not to arse with any poo poo that has some form of radiation, but they included looking at the neutron source with mirror instead of straight due the radiation. Why are the eyes such vulnerable organs for it? I mean there wasn't absolutely no other special safety procedures for the neutron sources except this.

(Somehow I assume the casing for the source is build so that it emits most of the things you would get bombarded on your body sans the eyes of course. Or we have lovely labs at school. :v: )

It's not just the eyes, the neutrons won't be good for any part of your body. The light elements in your body (especially hydrogen, which is present in both organic compounds and water, and that's just about all of you) will slow down the neutrons as they pass through you which deposits energy and creates gamma rays and knocks out protons and electrons into places where they shouldn't be, like inside your cells which can kill them or damage DNA. Viewing a neutron experiment indirectly, with a mirror or through a camera, means that if done right you can see it while keeping enough shielding between the source and you.

Edit: Radiation can scatter off of things and reach you indirectly, but neutrons won't really reflect off of glass and metal and hopefully the rest of the facility is designed with that in mind, too. Also, the scattering of radiation off of elements in the atmosphere (skyshine) is why you can't cheap out on shielding by working outdoors and just building walls with no roofs

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 26, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gorilla Salad posted:

We have a tap that comes out at 75°C in the maintenance closet, which is about the same temp as yours. No one really knows why it's there, but our unofficial official use for it is for terrifyingly hot mop water.

However, some people have been known to use it to make their coffee when they're too lazy to wait for the kettle to boil. We call it "mop coffee".

The lab I work in has signs saying "non-potable water" on all taps and I wonder if there's actually anything unsafe about the water or if they just want to discourage eating and drinking around chemicals and radioisotopes.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

always respect rotating tools because they'll gently caress you up the most in the shortest amount of time

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hot Karl Marx posted:

lol shut the gently caress up. When poo poo goes wrong, who dies? The operator, so yeah, i think its in our best interests to know what is going on. If you were smart you would know the people pushing operators to cut costs and use short cuts are the management cause we get paid by the hour and don't care how long things take. Stop acting like your 10x as smart as the the people operatering the equipment cause you guys don't have to to maintenance or repairs either and that poo poo is designed by a retard most of the time.

get off your high loving horse you rear end

edit: this screams of "i know thing that no one else does so im more important" rather than just trying to help everyone

yes it's the engineer who designed the equipment who is retarded, not the operator who decides to exceed the safe limit

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

They don't have batteries but the high voltage flyback transformer has some capacitors on the output that can hold a charge. There are probes where you clip one end to the chassis of the TV and then slip the point under the protective suction-cup looking thing that protects the flyback's anode from accidental touch. That will discharge it. I've never owned a professional version of the tool and I improvised one with a screwdriver taped to a ruler connected to the chassis with an alligator clip.

All in all high voltage isn't very scary, it's high power that's nightmare fuel

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've heard that if it's off at the time, it merely gives you a painful shock and a good scare but I've never made that mistake myself. It follows because while you're talking about a couple ten thousand volts, it's still just stored in the tiny ceramic caps used in the multiplier circuit of the flyback. I still wouldn't test it out on myself though. You definitely don't want to short it across your body when it's running though, that will likely kill you.

I don't know how much of a charge the tube itself can accumulate but it shouldn't be a big deal unless you break the thing open, and in that case the vacuum sending glass flying is probably the scary part.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

MG3 posted:

I've heard that it can be a dangerous shock if you mess up. I want to mess around with a tv I bought but I've been hesitant to try and discharge the electronics.

What do you want to do? If you want to fiddle with the recalibration pots you won't be in that much danger from the HV since the HV stuff will all be protected under thick insulators unless you go messing with it. The real danger will probably be the power supply with mains voltage caps and poo poo, but if you know precautions for working with that it shouldn't be a big deal. One hand behind your back, good shoes, watch what you're doing, use insulated tools, etc.

edit: if you want to do ill-advised things with the flyback transformer, my advice is don't

edit 2: actually, please don't take this as me being a bitch or anything, but don't do anything at all with it unless you have a plan and some experience because i don't have that much confidence from your original inquiry and i don't want to be responsible for a death

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 24, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

MG3 posted:

I want to loop the audio output into the video output to create an oscilloscope

at least that would all be dealing with the low-voltage part of the TV and you won't have to go anywhere near the flyback or anything

i assume you'd just be connecting L/R audo channels to the horizontal/vertical deflection but the actual process would vary widely between TV models

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

chitoryu12 posted:

In the end, the only surefire way to keep cavemen of the year 200,000 CE from uncovering radioactive materials is to put it somewhere they won't find it, like hurling it into space or burying it so deep and secure that only a society that can understand radiation can have the tools necessary to uncover it.

yep

if you mark it on the surface, the scarier you make it look and the more threatening the messages you use to try to deter people from it the more people will actually think that you're trying to hide lots of treasure from them

put it deep enough that hunter-gatherer societies who talk like klingons just won't find it

Baronjutter posted:

It's really weird how obsessed people are over the safety of nuclear waste in some insane post apocalyptic future but nothing else. The horrible chemical plant down the road? What ever, let our ancestors play in pools of toxic sludge, just so long as it's not mildly radioactive it's all good and nothing to worry about.

Of all the things to worry about, of all the things worth planning for, future cave men societies shouldn't even be on the radar.

also this

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

What if a cave man tries to use the ruins of a skyscraper for shelter and gets tetanus from some exposed rebar? Ban rebar until it can be made cave-man safe. If you can't guarantee your building will be safe in 100,000 years and have sufficient statues and sculptures that warn sub-human mutants then you shouldn't be building anything, you're putting future societies at risk.

What if a post-apocalyptic survivor's mutant offspring lose the ability to taste salt and try to drink the ocean? We need a massive wall of scary earthworks along the coasts to make sure they only drink fresh water.

What if a blind mutant cyberman finds an old warehouse from the before times and can't understand the safety warnings on the overhead gantry crane and exceeds the safe operating limits and doesn't even understand the difference between the maximum failure load and the maximum safe operating load??

lol

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

HairyManling posted:

Aside from being insane, what is SCUBA guy's angry button exactly? He doesn't approve of the gear other divers are using and so fantasizes about killing them for it? He thinks they're too inexperienced for a certain area and again fantasizes about arresting or killing them? I can't seem to figure out exactly what his main beef is.

He says that it's supposed to be a satirical look at what could happen if you let government regulation of hobbies get way out of control, but it definitely looks like it became fetishistic at some point

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My boss had a counter in his office as part of http://radmon.org/

wanna set one of these up and leave it next to my cobalt-60 source

edit: :evilbuddy:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 2, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Why the gently caress do you have a cobalt 60 source? And what do you do with it after it decays? Doesn't it have a halflife of like 5~6 years?

I have a set of ~1 microcurie test sources for alphas (polonium-210), betas (strontium-90), and gammas (cobalt-60). They're below legally exempt limits and the recommended procedure for disposal is to deface the radioactive symbols so they don't spook anyone who finds them later. Those levels aren't dangerous to living things but will give G-M counters an alarmingly-high count rate if they're set up to measure background.

Polonium-210 has an annoyingly-short half-life but the strontium-90 and cobalt-60 should be good for a big chunk of the rest of my life.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

700-800 mSv over how many years? :stare:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kilo147 posted:

what is that, about 4-8 rads? (Legacy units, I know)

100 rads is 1 gray and neither are directly equal to any number of sieverts without additional information (they measure absorbed dose versus equivalent dose)

edit: to be more specific grays are raw energy absorbed by matter and sieverts have the same units (energy per mass) but are adjusted to better match health effects depending on type of radiation and location of irradiation, etc.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 4, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

it depends on how deep you're going into it, but I mostly wanted to be pedantic about dragging archaic units into it and using the wrong units and the wrong order of magnitude

1:1 is probably the way the dosimeter does it but if you're doing more detailed calculations it turns out that the dose response functions for the same energy of photon can be different for the same flux depending on what direction the flux hits you

edit: the 1:1 weighting for a full body photon dose comes from the fact that we really still don't know wtf, the full body weights for the other radiation types are also incredibly rough

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 4, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kilo147 posted:

Yeah, at those levels, hell no. I'm sitting comfortably at about 50 mSv so far on the year, I might hit 70 or 80 mSv by December, and I'm completely fine with that. my Biannual-ish CT scan/X-ray battery is unavoidable. Anything approaching ARS levels and gently caress that noise.

yikes

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kilo147 posted:

Between the growths in my liver, growths near the pancreas, and the growths in my lungs, I'm getting a biannual battery of tests to make sure nothing changes. So far it looks like hemangiomas and boring lung nodules, but without biopsying them there's no way to be 100% sure. It's funny, if I were a radiation worker, I'd be pulled from the job by now thanks to that amount of radiation.

Sounds like at that point the risk of cancer is less than the risk of not knowing what's going on with that stuff.

Have you ever had a PET scan? Those give a pretty big dose but the science behind them is way cool

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Therac-25 is what caused software engineering to become an officially recognized engineering discipline by professional engineering organizations in Canada. Now programmers need to be professional engineers and need a certificate of authorization in order to work on systems that could put public safety at risk and can be legally liable for deaths and injuries. Essentially every form of regulation can be traced back to a pile of bodies and missing limbs

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Would you want to survive falling into something like that though?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I saw another version of the story where it said his eyes were all white. I guess the lenses rapidly turned opaque from the heat, like getting cataracts but much more rapid?

edit: :barf: lol

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 10, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lurking Haro posted:

And the cake was thrown away.

Her twitter had a nice profile picture showing a giant black eye.

her???

also what was that person trying to do other than ruin a perfectly good cake anyway

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Amazing

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Karma Monkey posted:

THIS POOL IS NOT A POOL OF HONOR.
NO UNSTEAMED DEAD IS COMMEMORATED HERE.

this is clearly not intended to help people of the future but is intended to shame people who want to boil themselves today

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sammus posted:

This guy must really, really hate wasps.

Wasps are garbage and I have the materials on hand to build that bug zapper so maybe I should try it

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

this kills the ant

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

the ubiquity of "stop, drop, and roll" as a kid made me think that getting set on fire was a lot more common than it is

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lurking Haro posted:

Is that seriously a third generation copy?
The original got motion-stabilized, put on the Daily Mail site and then somebody filmed it off their screen.
When you can just watch the original here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCR8kbwxQ4g

And thanks for the blueballing :argh:

Cake was defending itself from some idiot who tried to ruin it

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jerry Cotton posted:

Magical OSHA

a lovely trick made much better by the gaffe

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Platystemon posted:

“First time using a pressure washer. A bug landed on my leg...”

if you think that looks bad then think about what must have happened to the bug!!!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

why does it have handles on both sides?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

spud posted:

"MMmmmmm, this water tastes a bit Keroseny....."

British soldiers had this problem in WW2 North Africa with fuel cans being reused to haul water. They just manned up and made tea with the water to mask the taste :colbert:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I took a class on risk analysis and I chose elevators because I used to be afraid of them (and in buildings that are tall enough to feel how long the cables are, still am) and learned that most of the people who die because of elevators die by falling into the shaft, either while it is under construction or because they are rescuing someone and gently caress up or try to escape and gently caress up. It seems like if you manage to get into the elevator car you're pretty safe as long as you only try to leave through the door.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't get it, did they manage to completely avoid noticing the very prominent power lines?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's not conduction when it's in a vacuum but it's electrons breaking free and travelling through space. It can happen at lower voltages if the metal is hot which was done on purpose in vacuum tube electronics and cathode ray tubes. It can also happen if the metal has a sharp point where the local electric field is strong enough to start pulling electrons off.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Phanatic posted:

Physics. Dielectric strength of a pure vacuum is on the order of a few dozen megavolts per meter, depending strongly on electrode material and shape. If you get a field strong enough that the field effect causes electron emission, those electrons will flow from the cathode to the anode just like in any other circuit; there's nothing in the way, after all.

This is what I described but it's not really conduction. Things can't conduct if there's no charge carriers, and a vacuum has nothing in it to be a charge carrier.

edit: I mean once current starts to flow there are electrons present and those are charge-carriers but they weren't there at first and originally belonged to whatever they were torn off of

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Also the ship keeps sending workers to a hell dimension.

Functioning as designed. Marked wontfix/closed