Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I got through page 1 of this thread before I realized I didn't take joy from watching people hurt themselves, potentially seriously.

Thank u and God bless for sharing this valuable insight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Alereon posted:

Don't do this if any bones may be broken though, you will make it much more difficult to heal properly. I needed $30,000 worth of surgery from a Harvard-trained hand surgeon and I'm still not back to 100%, and it may not have been that bad if I hadn't tried to set my fingers (two turned out to be broken, two were just dislocated and set fine). I don't even have a cool story, I just tripped on the sidewalk after leaving work :(

Also, a lot of other injuries can look like a dislocated finger beyond just fractures. I tore the extensor tendon in one of my finger joints, it felt and looked like it was jammed, but oh god it was not and oh man pulling on it was the worst thing ever ow ow ow ow ow my hand is reflexively curling in pain just typing this.

After months of occupational therapy it was pretty much back to normal, but for someone whose hobbies included computer games, guitar and piano and whose job requires typing at a computer all day, it was awful.

At least I got it playing roller derby and hitting motherfuckers, though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

mostlygray posted:

Roundabouts are the worst thing ever. You have to make a full lap to read the signs and they make you lose your orientation when there's no sun. I've got a good sense of direction in general, but roundabouts make me lose my poo poo.

You should really re-examine the part of your statement I've bolded. Introspection is good, and what you discover about yourself might just surprise you!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Roundabouts at four way intersections are good, and as a Minnesota resident let me reiterate that you are just simply a bad driver.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

ranbo das posted:

I mean your explanation just means you can equate any number with any other number, doesn't it? because if 0.999... = 1 then clearly there's a number on the other side the same distance away that is exactly equal to 0.999... and a number next to that etc and before long you have literally every number equal to literally every number.

e: yes I know that 0.999...=1

no, because that "same distance away" is 0, Jesus Christ

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Neutrino posted:

There are idiots out there practicing idiot engineering and from what I see the south tends to have a good concentration of them. I managed an asphalt paving contract this summer with one street that had a hospital overpass with a little over 14-foot clearance. I reminded my inspector a few times that the contractor should mill 3-inches of pavement and replace it with 3-inches of asphalt underneath the overpass. I also told the contractor the same and guess what happened? There is the same clearance now as before. Magic!

what year in engineering wizard school do they teach you the spell for making smug remarks based on an inference from an estimated 2 inch differential eyeballed from a lovely jpeg?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Bacon Taco posted:

The first rule of Engineering Wizard School is don't talk about Engineering Wizard School.

well poo poo then, cuz homeslice is in trouble:

Neutrino posted:

This is civil engineering 101and is the reason why engineers have to get a degree and licensure to practice and yes, I have both.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

they should rig up a system to drop a 400 lb concrete block in front of all overheight trucks

They tried this but guys kept chaining their motorcycles to it, it was a weird situation.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

its not fake and already been posted

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

That F-150 driver is pretty representative of every F-150 driver ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

boner confessor posted:

"i get higher throughput and more efficiency on the table saw with the finger sensitive resistance interlock disabled, clearly this is not actually about safety"

Pretty much every traffic expert in the country will tell you that speed limits are artificially low all over the place for revenue, you look like a moron for arguing this point that wolrah never made in the first place.