Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Looks like he bends down so he might have been picking something up between the cows. Kid got a light cow crushin', which he deserved for being a little turd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Humphreys posted:

Blame the company I used to work for. They were doing autonomous GPS guided poo poo at as an experiment. 2nd day a fuel truck rolled on a ramp.

Twice?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm still confused as to why he didn't angle the stairs so they pointed down to the left so there'd be room

Looking at the top right part of the photo, it looks like there's a wall meeting the floor, so if the stairs went that way you would be walking up into a wall.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Those fire grenades generally used carbon tetrachloride (though some used salt water), which is potentially bad news if you like being healthy. Apparently, heat can turn it into phosgene, so, ya know, toss it in a fire. The ones you can find for sale as antiques are usually drilled and the contents dumped, although that seems problematic in its own way. Years back, I bought some full ones for my firefighter uncle because they are an interesting piece of equipment. I think he stuck them in the firehouse for all to see. Hopefully they never get knocked over! :shrug:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

ShineDog posted:

Is he sorting lbait from a tank? He seems to have a cleaver but I don't really see why that would be located there?

Any kind of rough sea fishing is terrifying work though. Watch some of the earlier deadliest catch seasons where people just get creamed.

There is a long, hooked line being pulled up from the water and he's taking fish off. You can see him pull the fish in at the very beginning before the first wave comes in. Probably has something like a small billhook in his hand to help grab the fish.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yeah but who is gonna have a valve tool like that lying around? I have a lovely pressure gauge but it seems like it'd take a long time to let the air out by half pressing it on the stem.

If it's this type of tire gauge:

Then the little nub opposite the part you take the pressure with is meant to let you open the valve and let out air (if it has one, not all the pencil gauges have them).

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

e: it surprises me that the ship partly flooded, since the damage appears to be all above the waterline. Is there more than what's visible in that photo?

A big ship like the one that hit the destroyer is going to have a bulbous bow that protrudes out farther from the vessel than what you'd see when the ship is loaded with cargo and riding lower in the water. That could've hit below the waterline and punched a hole in the Fitzgerald.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Powershift posted:

e: i'm not familiar with electricity. is this bad?

I guess you've never heard of a trunkline.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

As someone who drives a forklift regularly and does his best to keep safe, and then watches some of the other people that drive that thing, yeah, that's a good way to prepare yourself. There's been a few times when I've surprised by someone coasting past me in an electric forklift because they didn't bother beeping the horn as they drove.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Sure hope that wasn't load bearing

It was until it got stuck in that post.

The Nissan forklifts we have at work weigh nearly 10,000 pounds. Something like 3500 of that is the battery. I was surprised at just how heavy the thing is, considering the size of the thing.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

who's the sports fisher at #8. his blooper videos were hilarious

Bill Dance.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Peetown Manning posted:

Took me a few loops to notice the guy at the bottom who apparently doesn't give a gently caress.

He's smart, he knows there's nothing for it but to let it wear itself out killing the others.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I know it always gets brought up when the Damascus incident is mentioned, but Command and Control is a really good look at the nuttiness of the US nuke program, and that accident in particular.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

MutantBlue posted:

I have fond memories of the Cold War.

Did you also get to carry a Smith & Wesson with staghorn grips in a cross-draw holster?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I was reading about accidents on film and TV sets the other day. Most people know about the tragic shitshow of the Twilight Zone movie, so I'll post this one instead:

Wikipedia posted:

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2017). Stunt double Olivia Jackson was severely injured in a motorcycle accident on set in South Africa in September 2015, leaving her in a medically-induced coma for two weeks. During a high-speed motorcycle chase, she collided with a camera arm. Among Jackson's injuries were cerebral trauma, a crushed and degloved face, a severed artery in her neck, a paralyzed arm, several broken ribs, a shattered scapula, a broken clavicle, torn fingers with a thumb that needed to be amputated, and five nerves torn out of her spinal cord. Her paralyzed left arm was amputated in June 2016. Days after Jackson's accident, crew member Ricardo Cornelius was crushed to death by a Hummer H1 that slid off a platform he was operating.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

weg posted:

:pwn:

RIP poor S13.

Too beautiful for this world.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

MF_James posted:

she lost one shoe I think? What's the rule with only 1 shoe, I know 2 means you're dead, but what about only losing 1 shoe?

It means she's immortal now.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I think he's referring to the word "baņos" at the bottom of the sign.

It's a place in Ecuador.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

So the BTR ran the light here, right? Or do flashing green lights mean something else in Russia? Either way, I feel like the driver that got hit will be the one held responsible.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

There looks to be a propane torch between the mower and the canvas. It's a little easier to see in the full gif versus the slowmo one, but look where the ignition point is.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2018/04/19/car-narrowly-escapes-thai-ufo-video/

Looks like it hits the power line on the way down, too, with some arcing going on.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Why wouldn't it be a shock hazard? Does the charger know not to turn on until connection has been made or something? Or really low volt? I constantly have to plug/unplug our forklift and I understand why those cables wear out like that, it's almost impossible to unplug it from the charger only grabbing onto the plastic part. Ours is still pretty new so it doesn't look anything like that but I've always wondered what would happen when people start yanking it by the cables.

In my last job I used a forklift pretty often, and the charger didn't turn on until a second or two after you plugged the truck into it, although it would be still running if you went to take the truck off before it fully charged. And while it wasn't super smooth, it was easy enough to unplug by only holding the plastic connectors online and pulling them apart. I think our charger was 36v, though I don't what the amperage was. I feel like the cable that was posted above wouldn't be safe, even if the machine can't kill you.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

"Welp, guess we live here now."

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Was the entire weight concentrated on four short axles?

I think they are using these specialized dollies made for moving buildings. They are smaller, individual units (so no axle running underneath to another set of wheels) that are placed under the building after it's jacked up. Sometimes they're powered, sometimes they just coast along with the truck pulling the house. You can see some on the fallen bridge span in the last photo. They may have had more up front/out back, but looking at pictures online it seems like sometimes they just put them at the middle of the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Shouldnt he be making hamburger helper?

It's his day off. He's getting his hamburger helped now.