Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Sink holes scare the heck out of me. The idea that the road or even an entire building can just be swallowed up by holes big enough to make entire structures and vehicles disappear is pretty spooky. They are not a thing in my region luckily.

... yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

12'4" will spare a lot of rental box trucks, but a lot of full sized box trucks are 12'6", so we'll probably get a hit from time to time.

Don't they underestimate the height a few inches? Is it possible a 12'6" will squeeze barely under it?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

FCKGW posted:

No, because if you did but didn't publish how off from the actual height you are people would make up their own guesses and keep slamming into poo poo anyways.

I assumed they would give a number slightly lower than the minimum clearance to account for things like when a train is going over the bridge, or when temperatures change, etc.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

toplitzin posted:

Nothing like alarm fatigue from non relevant triggers to get two different shifts to shut them off completely.

Don't forget to mention the complete lack of federal government oversight!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Don't discount those times where you just lose your entire jaw but are otherwise, more or less, okay.

I saw a rider on the ground after hitting a deer. He would've lived if he had been wearing a full face helmet...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Uthor posted:

They should put in place a joke beam that is light and swings out of the way at 11'8", but label it 12'4".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThhkMvPPgxg

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Probably unrelated:
https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/national-security/article236413328.html
Exclusive: Veterans want answers as new data shows rise in cancers over two decades of war

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

withak posted:

I'm the three cautionary steps back while 10s of feet of cliff disappear on the other side.

Not to mention the cracks already showing just a few feet to the left of camera :stare:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Interesting! I just thought I was a freak who enjoyed huffing fumes.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

You should be replacing your motorcycle helmet every five years, or after a major impact, whichever comes first.

Saving this joke :perfect:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Fat Loser posted:

Maybe the 12' 6" clearance is for when a train is on it and the unencumbered clearance is 12' 6.125" without a train on it. The bridge isn't really long enough for lots of flexing like a river-crossing bridge would be.

They may be (probably) rounding down to the nearest inch just for safety.

Just wanted to drag this up and say that I was right. The new actual height is 12'8":
https://www.reddit.com/r/11foot8/comments/drlj9w/the_new_actual_clearance_of_the_canopener_bridge/

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

FuturePastNow posted:

He says the crash beam is 12', though, so that should be the clearance. I think?
It's 13'8" to the top of the 12" tall crash bar.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

https://www.reddit.com/r/11foot8/comments/drlj9w/the_new_actual_clearance_of_the_canopener_bridge/

Actually measures 12'8".

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What the gently caress.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
There was a very dangerous intersection near where I live. I witnessed numerous close misses, until finally there was an accident where a young girl got t-boned because she misjudged the speed of an oncoming car. This was the Xth accident in Y-years which could have been prevented by a stoplight, so they finally installed.

Just :lol: if you think America is going to be proactive about self-driving cars. The code and laws which keeps us safe in the future will be written in blood today.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Moto42 posted:

There's such a huge problem with cops in the states being de-facto immune to traffic laws.

I nearly got killed riding a scooter to work when a cop blew a red light; no lights, no siren; just straight through.
He passed behind me less than a foot from my back tire and didn't even slow down.

One near me was responding to a call for assistance (non-emergency) at around 90mph in a 45 zone. He nailed a girl taking a left and killed her. He was charged and convicted of manslaughter because he didn't have his lights or siren on while driving so fast. I'd like to say that sometimes the right thing happens in the end, but it would have been better if that douche had just driven there like a normal person instead of playing Batmobile.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm the decision to attempt to physically hold that in place with my bare hands.

Yep, that's more of a "wait for impact" then "assist the wounded" then "cry because you're going to prison for your criminal neglect" day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
"Hello? Fire department? I am in a Tesla truck and I blew a tire and I landed in a lake. The water is quickly rising, and the electronic doors won't open and the windows won't go down. I have bullet proof glass, what do I do?

OK, cool, see you in 5-8 minutes."