Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember there was some youtube channel that had more of those videos like the CG diver accident videos but for all sorts of OSHA stuff, they were really interesting break downs on how and why the accidents occurred and how they could have been prevented, rather educational. I can't seem to find them on the internet anywhere, anyone know what I'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those stairs are an art installation, sorry guys :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I assume the house was built on top of an old mine, not that miners dug up into his house?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Top of a residential building in my town, what is going on here. I can't see if the dude is wearing any gear but this feels a bit off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

froward posted:

today i started a small fire while welding. i had cleaned the floor thoroughly but some sparks fell down onto another floor, igniting OILY RAGS left behind by a painter. drat painters. I put it out with my extinguisher and was politely asked "couldn't you just have stamped it out?" probably but i'm not setting my boot on fire.

Nobody died and I wasn't written up. So that's nice.

In my first week at this job I saw four fires in one day. None of them were reported.

As someone who makes and distributes "hot works permits" that tries to set up a paper trail, sign offs, and step by step instructions on doing any sort of hot works on construction sites you made me cry a little.
Then again I don't give a poo poo if your stupid wood frame condo development burns down, but by god there will be a paper trail showing who is at fault, who signed off saying the area was clear of risks and a fire watch was enacted for X hours after the work.

Also painters are the worst and love to jam rags and poo poo in wall cavities and vents that then burn the site down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://i.imgur.com/os60Cbq.gifv
Some good demo work here

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Any recently built glass curtain wall condo tower would have its windows falling out after a few years due to extremely lovely constructon and poor material choices. Hell this is happening anyways even with basic attempts at upkeep. Wandering around cities you'd be constantly hearing sheets of glass falling 20+ stories to the ground. The actual core concrete or steel structures would last a long time though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They're doing some demo in a big square in my city, this was how they dealt with the safety issue of having a couple guys in a genie lift smashing the gently caress out of a large walkway structure above.

They've got the ground level hoarded up, but not the main floor walkway. So just warn people about FALLING CONCRETE, now you're good.

Also I've only ever seen these "small" genie lifts. They have a bigger version that looks identical just scaled up that's doing work on an 11th floor window. I had no idea they could reach so high.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Zachary Construction Corp., Mansfield, LA 71052",Decedent was walking across a tank and fell through a hatch into a tank of boiling water. He either drowned or died of thermal burns."

poo poo

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's really weird how obsessed people are over the safety of nuclear waste in some insane post apocalyptic future but nothing else. The horrible chemical plant down the road? What ever, let our ancestors play in pools of toxic sludge, just so long as it's not mildly radioactive it's all good and nothing to worry about.

Of all the things to worry about, of all the things worth planning for, future cave men societies shouldn't even be on the radar.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, the idea that some future civilization would have the tech to dig through all the containment but not understand what radioactivity is and wouldn't know to test for it is a bit of a stretch.

What if a cave man tries to use the ruins of a skyscraper for shelter and gets tetanus from some exposed rebar? Ban rebar until it can be made cave-man safe. If you can't guarantee your building will be safe in 100,000 years and have sufficient statues and sculptures that warn sub-human mutants then you shouldn't be building anything, you're putting future societies at risk.

What if a post-apocalyptic survivor's mutant offspring lose the ability to taste salt and try to drink the ocean? We need a massive wall of scary earthworks along the coasts to make sure they only drink fresh water.

What if a blind mutant cyberman finds an old warehouse from the before times and can't understand the safety warnings on the overhead gantry crane and exceeds the safe operating limits and doesn't even understand the difference between the maximum failure load and the maximum safe operating load??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know what humping means regarding a bridge, but I can tell a good OSHA story about an old bridge in my town.

The bridge was built right after the golden gate by the same designer, so it's a very old bridge. It had a railway track going over it but never had very high traffic so it wasn't rated very high, and was built for tiny steam trains. In more "modern" times (ie the 60's-70's) diesels got bigger and cars got bigger, bigger than the bridge was rated for.

The bridge could handle the weight of a fully loaded tank car, it could also handle the weight of the locomotives they used, but not at the same time. You can probably guess where this is going. They'd get the tank car (loaded with oil or chemicals) up to speed being pushed by the loco, the loco would jam on the breaks, let the tank car coast over the bridge, then run over and catch up and carry on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blistex posted:

You want nuclear waste to be touched by absolutely nobody for the rest of all time? Bury it 50 feet underground where there are no natural resources at all. I'm talking about in the middle of the most useless, burned out, patch of worthless desert in the US. Now who the hell is going to bother to exert the effort to dig 50 feet down in an area where they know they are going to get nothing useful and it's uncomfortable to work in? Nobody. The only way someone will find it is if they are walking around with some sort of device that detects radiation, and when they find it they will say, "oh, there are trace amounts of radiation that are 400 times background levels. . . better move along".

Putting some sort of a marker near nuclear waste is the absolutely worst thing you could ever do, as you are literally marking the location and creating interest in the site.

It's almost like the whole idea of giant scary earthworks and sculptures and places without honour have nothing to do with nuclear safety or future troglodyte civilizations and everything to do with pleasing anti-nuclear activists who want prohibitively expensive monuments to our hubris of toying with dangerous atoms. Burying in the middle of nowhere to be forgotten means the nuclear industry won, they "got away with it". The monuments are about reminding our current civilization, rubbing our nose in it, keeping the waste sites visible. Being able to point and say "look, look what we had to build because this stuff is so dangerous and bad!""

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

steinrokkan posted:

exactly why we need the SEA PATROL

gently caress yes SEA PATROL. loving divers!!! Take their diving gear and CRUSH it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wasps do have some form of communication though. I watched some Alan Alda thing where they did a bunch of experiments. They'd set up a picnic with dummies and props and a wasp would come back to its nest with the food and then other wasps would come too, some how that wasp told the others. So then they'd move everyone do another bench, but the previous wasps would go to the old bench but quickly figure out the new one. They kept changing things and seeing how the wasps would react and ended up strongly indicating the wasps were somehow not just describing the general direction and distance from the nest of the food source, but also what the area looked like. When the dummies and props were changed around the wasps got confused because they were told "look for the 4 blue shirt wearing people sitting at a table" and when they'd arrive there would be 2 green shirted dummies. If a table nearby was set up with 4 blue shirted dummies the wasps would quickly go there because that matched the description they were given.

So yeah, I think wasps can give directions and even describe objects/settings.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I grew up in a place with lots of harmless snakes, no one really feared or demonized them. We'd catch them and play with them (warning they'll poo poo their panic stink defense fluid on you) and they were nice and smooth and fun to pet once they calmed down.

While visiting a site for work once there was a pile of boulders near the edge of a newly built building and I thought something was a garden hose and I got a bit pissed that they dumped these landscaping rocks on this very pretty hose and went to grab it but it was in fact a snake enjoying the sunny rocks. That could be pretty OSHA if I lived somewhere with dangerous snakes I guess.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kilo147 posted:

That'd be dope. I mean, I haven't seen a goddamn snake up here in Washington in a decade or more.

I'm just up in Victoria. When I was a kid we had TONS of snakes in our front yard which had a big bouldery rock garden, but about 15 years ago or so they vanished and I never saw one in the neighbourhood ever again. I see them in parks and dry rocky areas, even various lizards. We still got em so you must too, you just have to look in the right places. Sometimes they even chill out in trees.

Also to keep things OSHA, it's crow nesting season. Saw a couple crows dive bombing a dude on a genie lift trying to fix some flashing on an apartment building. I think they had a nest in the tree right next to him. Good thing he had a hard hat. I don't understand how city crows who are surrounded by humans every day all the time suddenly flip out during nesting season. Ok a guy getting up high by their nest in a lift I can see, but they still yell and dive bomb every pedestrian. You built your nest above a busy downtown sidewalk how do you not get exhausted flipping out at every single human all day???

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GenericOverusedName posted:

Most animals get kind of crazy when it is babytime. A switch flips and they go from being chill to freaking out because IT MIGHT GET MY BABBIES AERGH KILL IT.

Humans are always in baby time, is that why we're always crazy and freaking out???

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BattleMaster posted:

the ubiquity of "stop, drop, and roll" as a kid made me think that getting set on fire was a lot more common than it is

The amount of youtubes where idiots some how catch on fire and their reaction is to jump around and run as fast as they can proves this just wasn't drilled into our heads quite enough :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In panic/disaster situations you basically have to design things for animals. Humans lose all ability to open doors, read signs, or not crush each other in situations like that. It's actually called "panic hardware" on doors so it's just a big old push bar so that if there's any sort of force on the door, including someone too panicked to open the door, a crowd of people pushing would fairly quickly pop the door open.

And all it takes is a minor violation of this sort of code to kill many many people. A single landlord sick of people going out the back door to smoke, or worried about hobos breaking in the back door and installing a deadbolt can be all it takes. "It's just a deadbolt, people can flick it open to get out" they think. Next thing you know there's a pile of dead people there because the first person who came to the door took more than 2 seconds to open it and everyone behind them went into a trample frenzy and they all died from heat and smoke.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If regulations were actually enforced and fines/punishments severe enough to change behavior it would be regulations run amok destroying our economy. Take your "basic safety regulations" back to Brussels!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did anyone manage to eject? Not that they'd probably fair any better if captured on the ground.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Volcott posted:

What typically happens to dudes who get hit by a full on jet blast?

This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKIvFEe9KfE

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad russia is getting on board the whole artificial reef building bandwagon.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It seems hosed up we've colour coded so much of the world on exact shades most common for people to have problems seeing, then stubbornly refuse to even slightly adapt our standards.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm working with some people who are home-building a 80w laser. It needs a lot more cooling than the old 40w tube, so they put it on me to come up with a solution. My solution? We had a huge plastic tub. I drilled some holes in the sides and put some bulkhead connections on. Inside the tank is a fountain pump, it pumps the water out of the tub and into the laser and back into the tube. I'm no engineer by I'm hoping it keeps the laser cool and doesn't do anything bad.

We're also putting a thermometer on it so we can see the water temp because the laser tube doesn't want it going above 35. I guess if it gets too high we give the water a break to cool down. I wish it was all in a radiator or some huge series of metal tubes.

Any idea how to get the water to cool down quicker? Eventually by the time the summer comes around we'll probably have to go with active cooling of some sort and stick a heat exhaust out the wall so the workshop doesn't fry.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just cut cardboard to make model train buildings with my laser, but by upgrading to 80w from 40w people seem to think it will be able to cut thin metal and poo poo.

The most OSHA thing we ever did to it was disable the safety interlocks and stick our fingers in to try to laser cut designed on our finger nails. DIdn't work. Power level needed to etch finger nail was also hot enough to give a burn under your nail, not pleasant.

Some dude gave himself a burn tattoo with a laser though, not ours.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

shame on an IGA posted:

Nobody designs a worse rotary wing aircraft than the us forest service.

https://youtu.be/_7jENWKgMPY

Wait... "killing ONE OF the pilots"
Each of those choppers have a pilot? They didn't have them all rigged up to a central control??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's going on here? Resurfacing the rails or something?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

From the apartment building and wall in the background it's absolutely somewhere in eastern europe.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pingiivi posted:

Why is there water in the silo?

Where do you think rain goes? Or what a sump pump is for?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also the ground/rain water that's been sitting in that silo is probably going to be toxic as gently caress.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pingiivi posted:

So basically in normal, not left for crazy dudes with too much money, use these silos would've also collected some water and they needed to be pumped out regularly?

One of the hardest thing with mining and tunnel building is what to do with the water. This was a huge limiting factor for pre-industrial mines. The romans had people turning huge hamster wheels to power pumps in some of their mines, but that was only economical for the most valuable ores. One of the most important uses of early steam engines was powering pumps for mines. Previously it was extremely dangerous and expensive to dig a hole below the water table. Most old houses with basements were designed to drain naturally just with gravity, but tons of modern houses all have pumps in the basement that, if shut off, would see the basement turn into a pool.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Immune from disasters other than fire systems catching on fires or a pump failing causing the whole thing to flood.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If he tidied up the loose batt insulation it would look way better.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

tater_salad posted:

This isn't getting any love and is a pro-click.

These guys want to burn their lovely dwelling down or never have a working circuit ever.

Is that their own place? Why are they ruining it??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I almost sort of understand why people sometimes try to gun it when there's like a 2km long slow moving freight train coming, but some little short rear end suburban train that will be gone in 3 seconds??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The door on my huge laser broke and we had to gently caress around with the safety interlock because the door wasn't closing right or popping up a couple mm enough to trip the interlock...
It's still safe, just don't like, stick you face in there!!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the point of those laws? I've only ever had "full service" twice in my life and it took about 3x as long to get filled up and go and I had to awkwardly interact with a weird teenager who hated life. Most stations around here are self serve, a few will have a full-service line, and a very very very rare few are full service only.

Is it just a make-work sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah looks like a disaster brewing and cars close to the site want to GTFO, I'll park my truck in the intersection blocking it and put my hazards on!