Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

JB50 posted:

It's not like log splitters cost a lot. A good gas powered one can be had for a few hundred. Then again, rednecks.

New, they'll run you a cool grand usually. I paid ~$900 for mine years ago. I cut and split between 7 and 10 cords of firewood per season, and what cracks me up about these guys using their "homebuilt" splitters is that it appears that they're usually splitting perfectly straight grained, knot free, relatively soft looking wood. An axe would be safer, and probably quicker since it would be like splitting styrofoam. I want to see how effective one of designs are when it's put up against a gnarly piece of 100 year old Sugar Maple where the grain runs at 90 degree angles.

Regardless, no way I'd stick my hands near one of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

JayKay posted:

According to Reddit, it's an angle grinder disc.

That's a cutoff wheel, but still. I have prescription safety glasses that I try to wear as much as possible, but the bad thing is they're the curvy-lensed sports style, and they seriously gently caress with my depth perception. Not the best thing to have happen when you're running power tools.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Guy is seriously contemplating his employer's selection of an acronym.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Magical OSHA

What a strange trick.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Plus, he's driving right on the rumble strip. Jeeze, some people.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

You'd figure China would be a pro at this by now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wan_Hu

5000 year history.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Is that one in the far background on fire too?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

And that's just the nightstand.

There were some posts about dirty tankers recently.
Yesterday, in Moscow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Xkk__lnCI

Is it common for poo poo tankers to explode?

I'd bet that if sufficient methane pressure built up with no safety relief valve, then yes definitely. Especially if the vehicle construction was poo poo. All that was needed was a timely source of ignition, and then you'd have a real fireworks show.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Lime Tonics posted:

Grittner told his mother the last thing he remembered before waking up in an ambulance was opening up the refrigerator

ZUUL!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Volcott posted:

Yeah, it's called .22LR Subsonic.

... my neighbor is the Police Chief. They work really well on groundhogs at about 50 feet.

drzrma posted:

Apparently someone my Dad worked with got tired of the deer munching on his vegetable garden and just shooting them wasn't an option for some reason. His solution was to throw a steel plate out under whatever the deer liked best and hook it up to his arc welder with the amperage cranked all the way up, then sit on his porch with a big knife switch drinking beer. Deer were harmed, veggies stayed safe, and venison is delicious. Not entirely OSHA, quite possibly bullshit, but I can't say I haven't been tempted to see if it works because doing fences that will actually keep deer out is expensive and a real pain in the rear end. Would also cut down on the number of car/deer interactions, which would be a positive for everyone since they're dumber than rocks and if they don't manage to get you by jumping out in front of your car they'll settle for just headbutting the side of it.

15kv/30ma Neon Sign transformer works really well without killing them. It does shock the everliving gently caress out of them though. Once or twice, and they don't come back. I've seen it in action.

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 8, 2016

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Volcott posted:

Just ask him if it's cool if you snipe woodland creatures. Cops are known for being super chill.

He's a pretty cool Police Chief, so, fundamentally, I don't think he would give two shits. Problem is, I live inside the village limits and there's that whole "discharge of firearms" thing, so I don't draw attention to it. I only pop about 2 or 3 a season, I'm lucky enough to be able to fire from an elevated position, and there're no houses downrange. The Subsonics are really low velocity, yet effective at reasonably close range, and really sound no louder than an air nailer when fired. Ok, I'll shut up with gun chat now.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol at everyone that just stood there when that poo poo hopped the barrier

Seriously. What did they think was going to happen?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Remember I told you all I work in IT for a trucking company? Well the end date has been set at 11/18, and IDGAF anymore. This is one of our company's "seasoned" drivers. This idiot will always talk you down because "he's been driving for 30 years, and he just knows what he's talking about, and you have no loving clue". He's also a raging racist. This is his 5 minutes of fame reflecting his complete stupidity on Liveleak:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=521_1204241793

"It triggered the overheight sensors and the warning sign before the tunnel's entrance, but the driver didn't stop."

loving idiot. Good riddance you morons. They've only killed 6 or 8 people though, so I guess that's some sort of a good record, huh?

OK, I'll stop being bitter now, and be happy 'cause... 11/18... :pwn:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

November 2018?

Sorry, no November, 18th 2016. Just sent the resignation.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

So I work in a completely different field from you, but I find that without fail, anybody who brings up how many years they've been doing something as a justification that they know what they're doing/why they're right and you're wrong about something is without fail a) a total oval office and b) in the wrong about whatever it is they're arguing about, and quite often not only are they wrong but they've done something so mind-bogglingly stupid you become amazed that they're even able to dress themselves in the morning.

The funny thing is that this guy continues to be employed by my (ex) company. Allowing that to happen just completely redefines stupid and inept management. And they continue to bitch about low profit margins, and bad driver retention, like it's not their fault. HTF does that even happen if it can't be attributed to some form of corporate brain damage? If I trashed 7 years of important, and irreplaceable financial data, I'd be booted out before I could blink an eye. Yet, this idiot still drives for them. Oh yeah, they all think Trump is Jesus Christ incarnate. :suicide:

Whatever, I'm out.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

The "funny house" at the Stockholm amusement park has moving stairs like that leading up to the entrance. They're really simple when you just follow the rhythm, but it's amusing to watch people gently caress it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn10aErrE7M

Oh wow, if that were here in the States, the lawsuits would be incredible. I can imagine what would happen if one fat drunk at the top lost it and took out everyone down the line. We can't have cool things like that in the US because stupid people.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

For what it's worth, I run Firestone Winterforce tires year round on my Subaru, and Astro AWD. I get over 45K from a set running them this way, and normally, they are significantly cheaper new than most good "all weather". Here in northern Ohio though, we seem to have a lot more winter-ish weather than summer.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

On a related note, is AWD as much of a scam as all season tires?

AWD combined with a manual transmission (i.e. Subaru), and proper tires, is an absolute delight to drive in heavy snow. I routinely play with our Subaru Forester in foot deep, unplowed snows trying to get it to fishtail. It just won't. Period. I have a Chevy Astro AWD that pulls through the snow with no hesitation at all. I usually end up pulling 3 or 4 neighbors up our normally unplowed hill with it every Winter. Now, put both cars on ice, and I don't care how many pulling wheels you have, or how great your tires, you're gonna slide.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Exactly who's in control of the giant slammy part? It seems like it goes down whether or not the workers have actually positioned their tools properly yet.

Was gonna post the same. It has to be controlled somehow. Maybe some dude off-camera?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Whooping Crabs posted:

CO2 is the pretty much the only gas used to euthanize lab animals, probably because if nitrogen was used it might pose a danger to lab personnel, even if it is much more humane. Mice definitely freak the hell out before succumbing. Also there was some really dumb regulation (national i think) passed to reduce flow rate so the mice suffer for 10 minutes and not 2 because supposedly it's more humane?

Huh. How would Nitrogen, and CO2 differ when asphyxiation is the hazard? Any gas other than oxygen would cause asphyxiation it would seem. Any kind of inert gas other than CO2 would do the trick though. CO2 is probably the worst because we're inherently programmed to detect its presence in concentrated amounts, and freaking the gently caress out is par for the course. Doesn't seem like a cool way to die.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Dienes posted:

There's more than you would ever want to know about how to euthanize a rodent with various gasses in the AVMA Standards.

I'm sort of ashamed to say that I used Argon from a MIG welder to dispatch a horribly cancerous Hamster. It took all of 20 seconds. Poor little dude.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I always forget how non-OSHA sci-fi in general is. Those barrels should be shrink-wrapped.

And probably not stacked 8 high if it's hazardous waste.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

That Dang Lizard posted:

I guess you could say he made a bad move.

NICE!

How in the hell is this country a super power?

Oh wait I forgot about our new executive administration. Well played, Russia, well played.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Platystemon posted:

It’s a truck with a box on the back. Hence, “box truck”.

Flat bed trucks have flat beds. American nomenclature is very original.

One of my customers is a trucking company that has 10 of those for local deliveries. They call them "straight trucks" (yes, the "as opposed to" joke is rampant in the company). Might be an Ohio thing, though.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

good loving lord. clearly no one has watched this one yet if i'm the first one commenting

:stonk: :science:

I guess you'd be OK until you touch the metal portion of that rod. I would assume that since he's sitting on a metal "engine" which is sitting on a metal track, he's probably fairly well grounded. Ouch.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

3rd world mine sites loving suck even when they don't have electricity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvq9k6t4aUY

What did they think would happen? I mean, those cars have to be at least a ton apiece loaded. I'm surprised the track lasted as long as it did.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Bubblyblubber posted:

Last Friday I was very careful to wear gloves while mixing a 2M solution of sodium hidroxide, and everything went ok.

I wasn't careful 20 minutes later when I rinsed the glassware without gloves.

At least fingerprints grow back eventually.

This reminded me of an OSHA moment from my past. All through High School, and the first part of college, I worked in a bakery that made bread, pizza crusts, and soft pretzels. When we did a run of soft pretzels, we did at least 5,000 at a time. Anyway, most of the work was manual at the time, and it included stringing 24 frozen soft pretzel (in dough form) on a wooden dowel, immersing them in a boiling bath of Sodium Hydroxide, and arranging them on giant Teflon cooking sheets ready for the oven. I don't quite remember the concentration of the NaOH, but it was strong. It was used to impart that "pretzel taste", and golden color to the baked pretzels. We used heavy duty (i.e. chemical resistant) rubber gloves for the immersion process. I was in the midst of a rush order of 10,000 pretzels when I ripped, what seemed like, an insignificant chunk of rubber off my right glove on some piece of equipment -- right by my wrist. As I continued to work, I felt that portion of my arm start to become wet, and sting a bit, but, since it was a rush order, me and my two co-workers continued on. By the end of the order, when the last pretzels were loaded into the oven, we decided to take a break. When I pulled my gloves off, I was horrified to see that the top couple of layers of skin right around my wrist were apparently in the glove. It was a sort of chuckhole about 1.5 inches across. No bleeding, and no pain at all, but the smell was nasty. Sort of like hair burning in a hair dryer or something. It took quite a while to heal, and I still have a slight scar there.

Facebook Aunt posted:

What is it? Chemtrails?

No worries. It's just One More Red Nightmare. Zack Parsons' "Instruction For A..." will fill you in. :)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean, what do you do? Apart from the aforementioned "helicopter dumping buckets of concrete into the hole".

Concrete doesn't just cave in like that unless the underlying formation is removed. There's definitely some undermining going on, and I think just dumping buckets of concrete into it wouldn't be a really good option because it would just wash away. Now, the big question is, is the undermining due to a fault in the spillway, or is this water actually coming through the dam? Either way, if I lived downstream on the flood plain, I'd be just a tad loving nervous.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Since the spillway is not physically part of the dam, like bunches are, I'd be in the camp of just let it wash out and rebuild it. Not having any idea what the geology is around there, the only thing I'd be worried about is the undermining of the spillway getting so bad that a mini canyon is created next to the dam pretty quickly, and draining that lake very, and uncomfortably quickly. If it's a clay-y sandy soil, uncontrolled discharge might look a little like this except about a billion orders of magnitude bigger (sorry for the Michael Jackson soundtrack):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFzqike1Z0A

e;f,b Deteriorata got it

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Here’s a geology report from 1951, years before the dam was built.

I’m sure there are more detailed and recent reports available, but whatever; age adds character.

Yep, you nailed it. Metamorphic is way better than sedimentary, and at only 30 or so feet is excellent. As long as the gates and the gatehouse hold it'll be a big rear end mess, but it's better than the whole dam going. Now, if the rain continues... I hope they're (and I'm sure they are) checking the weep lines at the base of the dam for increased flow.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Mozi posted:

I know the 'plan' is to let the spillway erode until it can be fixed, but I wonder if continued erosion could weaken the spillway above the 'pothole' by carving out under it?

To a degree, yes, but at this point I think they're relying on the rock formation under it. According to the previously posted geology report, there's metamorphic rock not too far from the surface. That spillway channel is gone, though. I think, at this point, the only other thing that can go that would make the situation a lot worse would be the gatehouse, but I'm assuming it's pretty well put together -- hopefully bonded to the bedrock below. poo poo got real, real fast. I coop'ed with a flood control district my first two years of college, and they had plans to deal with situations like this. Some of them were, like, "we did our best, just gently caress it and pray".

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Platystemon posted:

There was rock 30 feet below the original saddle height, but it might have been re‐graded when the dam was built. Soil may have been added or removed.

If I had known the geology would be this relevant, I would have dug into it more on Thursday.

I'm assuming there's still rock down there. Yeah, once the backfill is scoured away (which'll leave the grade seriously hosed up), the rock should do OK. The problem is that if the emergency spillway is built high off the bedrock, and it fails, at least that depth of the lake will just completely cut loose which would warrant evacuation. Also, not knowing the geology between the emergency spillway and the dam, I'd be worried about lateral scouring starting to affect the dam structure. If there's a spike of bedrock between the dam and the emergency spillway, that would be the saving grace. That said, hopefully bedrock underneath will hold back the vast majority of the volume of the lake. Nature, hydrodynamics, and local geology will stabilize the outflow. Folks downstream will be screwed, but as long as the main dam holds, the potential shitstorm might be avoided.

The Glumslinger posted:

We would prefer rain a bit more spread out next time

Also, colder storms so more of it sticks as snow

Also, adding the fun is the next big wave of storms that is hitting early this week

Well... um, gently caress.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

poo poo, it's hit Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-dam-idUSKBN15S04W

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

What's going to happen to the big hole in the concrete of the main spillway? How long can it stand up to heavy use before the rest of it starts flaking off?

Echoing what others said, the main spillway is trashed at this point, so I'm assuming they're just going to try and slow down the erosion occurring at the screwed up area. Reuters says that they're going to use helicopters to drop rock into the hole which would at least control the rate of erosion/undermining. Anything you can do to deflect the kinetic energy of the falling water away from the eroded base is a good thing. It's good news that flow over the auxiliary spillway has ceased. Maybe the rains will be light this week.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I love that it was sarcastically suggested that concrete be dropped in by helicopters to fill up the hole last week, and now they're just airdropping rocks.

Well, chunks of cured concrete would work, yes, but liquid uncured concrete will still just wash away. I'm sure that since most of the landscape downstream of the auxiliary discharge is wasted, they're, like, let's just drop loving anything in there to break up the flow, and hope it holds. Hell, old cars would do the trick too, for that matter.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

At this point I assume that the people up the chain of command who were responsible for overseeing the upkeep of the dam are getting a lot of poo poo from pretty much the entire country for letting things get so bad that entire towns need to be evacuated and they're desperate to be seen to be doing anything at all so if the only two options are A) sit and watch or B) drop rocks out of helis they'll go for option B even if there's only a tiny tiny chance it'll be at all effective.

I'm not so sure that it was the upkeep of the dam that's the problem. Unless, the recent inspection of the spillway was conducted by complete idiots. I worked awhile for a civil engineering design firm, and when we did storm water collection systems, they would be designed to handle the "100 year storm event". I don't know what statistical specifications that dam was built under, but it's real possible we are experiencing the storm event that it wasn't designed for. Meaning, even if the main spillway wasn't toast, the auxiliary spillway might've been forced into use by the weather pattern anyway. So, at this point, the only thing they can do is damage control. Treat the symptoms. You can't stop the rain. Unfortunately, torrential rainfalls in the near future will just be throwing gasoline on the fire. Crap.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

IPCRESS posted:

I sometimes do stuff like that when I'm mocking things up to just hold things approximately correct while I take measurements/angles/tack plates approximately into place for future IPCRESS to sort out/grind off plates past IPCRESS tacked in the wrong place. So I'm hopeful that this isn't the finished product.

Using a gas bottle as a stool isn't a great plan even when you aren't doing hot work. At least he's not welding the rim, I guess?

The holes through the I-beam are too close together, too. Even it it is flipped around, that's not going to seat properly.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Bogatyr posted:

Use of the widowmaker about a minute in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDUprNyYlfM

jfc his LEFT THUMB! And what the hell is up with is left forearm? Is that a loving scar that runs all the way up, and into his bicep? I actually got really scared watching that.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

I was really expecting her to just wing it over the glass railing, ala the raccoon attacking the yappy dog gif.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

I've seen this before, and I cut my own firewood, and I still can't figure the physics out based on what he is planning. Unless (somehow) it falls towards the camera, something is going to get hosed up.

The accident gawker in me would like to see any after pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

beep-beep car is go posted:

My Dad was a tree trimmer (with Asplundh, the orange guys) for 30 years before nerve damage of running a vibrating chainsaw 8 hours a day 5 days a week got to him, and he used the saw on a stick thing all the time. They handed them out in the 70s, It's a hydraulic saw with a 12" blade on the end. Faster, cleaner and safer (once you know how to use it) than the chainsaw on a stick that you see around now.

Yeah, they call them "pole pruners" around here. I have an electric one, and it's tits for pruning my Apple trees and such. Don't need to even get on a ladder in an OSHA disapproved manner.