Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I remember reading about a lot of accidental ejections during my lifetime. I wonder if, with modern military planes, more have crashed due to the pilot accidentally launching themselves into orbit than due to having been shot down?
One of the handful of incidents with the early JAS-39 Gripen was due to the design of the ejection handle. It's located between the legs of the pilot, and on early models the handle was too short and the pilot's legs would press against it. During a high-G maneuver the pilot's legs got pushed up against the handle and he accidentally ejected from the plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What exactly was the plan here?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DOOP posted:

what is this?
The entrance to Rapture.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ChesterJT posted:

Help! Not just anybody!
Help! You know I need someone!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Amazing. Turn by turn GPS navigators has been around for what, almost ten years now, and people still haven't learned not to take the instructions literally.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is there anything in Japan you can't get out of a vending machine?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The thread hasn't been the same since nutcup stopped posting :(

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Buhbuhj posted:

Somehow he got sucked into the bypass and not the intake itself. That dude should have bought a lotto ticket that day.
There was a longer video with an interview with the guy posted earlier. Basically his helmet saved him. He got stuck in the intake duct long enough that his helmet (which got pulled off his head) destroyed the engine and it stopped before it could pull him through the duct.

He walked away with a broken arm, a whole lot of bruises and some seriously brown pants.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:gonk: That can't have ended well

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Rah! posted:

The skydivers were fine, one plane landed like normal, and the plane that lost a wing deployed a parachute and made it to the ground safely as well.
I had no idea plane parachutes were a thing. I've learned something today!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

Why do those things even have manual brakes? Why aren't they designed like roller coasters where the ride runs itself and the operators enforce spacing?
Or just space them so that even if you're going full tilt you're not likely to catch up with even the slowest of riders.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

It's like setting things on fire, you can set almost anything on fire if you try hard enough have a strong enough oxidizer

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What people always forget is that it's not a lack of oxygen that gives you the "I need air" feeling, it's an excess of carbon dioxide.

So when you just displace the oxygen with another gas you don't get the sensation of suffocating and you think you're fine until you suddenly black out.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That site has a banner redirecting you to a virus app if you visit it on mobile, fyi.

Google hurry up and bring extension support to mobile Chrome already so we can have adblock on Android.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Obviously jumping into a toilet was still not the biggest mistake of his life.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don't do it while pointing the gun at yourself?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I can't really tell from the stamp sized video, but if it's a semiauto pistol he could just remove the magazine and rack the slide and the chambered round will be extracted.

If it's a revolver (unlikely) you can't open the cylinder with the hammer cocked. The safest way is to jam a pen or something between the hammer and frame for safety, then pull the trigger while holding the hammer back with your thumb. Release the trigger, remove the pen and carefully lower the hammer.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Guyver posted:

It's a revolver. Here's a video.
Ah right, I didn't think a lot of professionals used revolvers any more.

So then he's just an idiot for pointing it at his leg while trying to decock it. Decocking a revolver is risky and you really shouldn't cock it in the first place unless you intend to fire.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm the guy who sees the cloud of flour coming and decides to calmly walk the other way.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

John Denver Hoxha posted:

with all the improvements in armament technology and bombers and artillery, sometimes the most horrifying thing to think about from the world war was the simple ways that you could die without even expecting it.

Like it's grim when you see the (brilliant, simple) wire cutters added on the fronts of jeeps, but then you think of why they put it on... oof, just to be riding along a quite road with your windshield down and then whack
(and the danger is relevant, always have to know any trail you intend to speed down)

The worst thing is that there are shitheads who do this on bike trails nowadays.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They ran out of straight pipe so they had to make do with what they had.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

hopefully there isn't a raging underground river burst water main about to burst through and completely gently caress up the road, or something.
Probably is a burst main and there's probably going to be some severe undermining of that road by the time you can see the water push its way up through the surface.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ema Nymton posted:

It's also a fake toilet build of some sort, so he's probably going to re-collect all the mercury. Some in his bloodstream.
I think your muncipality's water company would take a rather dim view of someone actually flushing large amounts of elemental mercury into the sewers.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

And one day the fuel spills out and all over the plane and catches on fire.
And the pilot discovers the ejection seat doesn't work and he has to remove the canopy and crawl out at several hundred knots.
And then the pilot discovers the parachute doesn't open, so he has to fall several thousand meters into the sea.
And then the pilot survives the impact - partly because he had his spleen removed a few years earlier.

https://uss-la-ca135.org/60/1960Judkins-Knott.html
Crusader.txt

Wikipedia posted:

In all, 1,261 Crusaders were built. By the time it was withdrawn from the fleet, 1,106 had been involved in mishaps.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I thought parachutes had quick releases specifically for that reason though, or maybe they didn't in the 60/70s?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

He's surprisingly calm for just having been mauled by a bear. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

I really thought that was bamboo at first
It is. Bamboo scaffolding is still commonly used in asia.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Multi-lane roundabouts are fine except when there's that one idiot who doesn't know how to use it and stays in the rightmost lane even when he's going left.

Also roundabouts with traffic lights at the exits, gently caress those.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don't remember if I posted this before or not.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is that a full road-worthiness check, or just emissions?

We used to have an emissions check here in British Columbia, but they recently got rid of it because there aren't enough old, polluting cars on the road to make it worthwhile to fund the program.
Can't speak for Germany, but in Sweden we have annual car inspections, including roadworthiness.

Things that will fail you:
* Structural frame rust.
* Non-functioning lights, signals or horn.
* Misaligned headlights.
* Oil leakage.
* Broken parking brake. If you have an automatic transmission, the P position has to lock the wheels as well.
* Damaged or bald tires (less than 1.6mm tread)
* Broken speedo.
* Weak brakes.
* Exhaust sound level and emissions.
* Suspension issues that cause unsafe handling
And in general not conforming to vehicle safety laws.

For most of the things you get a grace period of a few months to fix it and come back, but if you have a seriously dangerous issue the vehicle gets taken off the road immediately.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Emissions I agree with, but have you seen the inspection place actually crack down on sound level? I never see them measure it when I take my cars in, and I am preeeeetty sure my 928 is nowhere near appropriate sound levels with the current exhaust setup. (OTOH, they probably only see that 928 so have nothing to compare to...)
I've never heard anyone get failed on sound level, but I guess if you're driving around with a hole in your muffler they'll notice.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Or just have a bird net on the hopper?

That's one way to do the ice bucket challenge. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

I know bumpers are more pedestrian friendly now but that's just ridiculous

The latest in pedestrian protection.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Almost all pumps here are self serve and have credit card readers. So I can roll up on the bike, not have to remove my helmet, pop my card into the machine, fill up, take my card and be out of there all in 2-3 minutes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Missed opportunity to name it The Whiplash Machine

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I find it strange that the ride wouldn't have a system to detect a stuck carriage. It sounds like the occupied carriage wasn't moving very fast and if the conveyor hadn't kept pushing it would just have stopped.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Let's face it: people are too stupid to discern how to use a simple cross intersection. That's why traffic circles are safer.
A roundabout also provides a natural obstacle that forces people to slow down, so much lower risk of some idiot gunning it through to beat the red light.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Humphreys posted:

I have a few double lane roundabouts on my daily commute. Traffic moves through them much quicker than the set of lights I have to wait at. Although they can be road-rage inducing if the person in front of you don't know how they work and will stop in the outside approach lane cos someone is on the inside lane. If idiots aren't in the way, it's maybe 10 seconds of my trip and a 5 way intersection behind me.
Yeah that's half the point of them. Even if you have to slow down for a roundabout, traffic flows better from all directions because you rarely need to stop. Unlike a light controlled intersection where at least half the flow is forced to stop at any given time.

Platystemon posted:

I don’t care if “traffic circle” is used as a synonym for roundabouts, but actual traffic circles, where there are lights controlling the entrances/exits, are turbo dumb.
Yeah, some times planning offices go full retard and put traffic lights at roundabouts. My favorite piece of "what the gently caress" is this one in my city, which has a traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing at the exit of the roundabout, placed so that even if only one car needs to stop it blocks a whole lane of the roundabout. :downsbravo:

https://goo.gl/maps/pyQhPyR6Kqu

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

And even if doesn't actually slice you, when it has enough pressure to puncture your skin, it'll shred what's below that WHILE also delivering a lot of poo poo into your body that you don't wanna have there. Don't google injection injuries.
And you don't even need to be in any exotic environment to risk such injuries. If you have a car or truck with a common-rail fuel injected engine you already have a system containing fluids at 1000-1400bar (15-20k psi) pressure.

Make a small hole in that when it's under pressure and it's you who becomes fuel injected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Who's taking the picture?