Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MrYenko posted:

Steps one and three.

Step two is a door-less celebratory poo poo.

Breaking in a new dunny is one of life's great pleasures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They must be a fuckin' death trap for drunk people

Yeah I can really see trying to mount the steps to the throne, slipping over and cracking your skull open on the rim of the bowl.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Megabound posted:

Had some strange toilet placement in a hotel I stayed at recently

There's a ton of this in hotels in smaller cities in southeast Asia - I think a lot of them used to have squat toilets, so being able to blast it with the shower head helps to clean it I guess? :shrug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mustached Demon posted:

All of it deserves HF.

I agree, hydrofluoric acid is an excellent solution.

:v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Baronjutter posted:

She might be a corrupt executive who's involved in the illegal TEK trade as well.

Well, the kids have to learn about TEK War sooner or later.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Very nice. Reminds me of the story of two Parks Victoria chaps that parked their work ute in long grasses when inspecting firebreaks in early 2009, the year of the Black Saturday bushfires. They came back from their traverse to find a local landowner, incredibly pissed off, who had to put out the grassfire they had started with the exhaust on their vehicle. The ute was destroyed. After checking to make sure they had mobile phone battery and signal, apparently the farmer drove off leaving them to sort out their own rescue.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

deoju posted:

The beeping improves safety but only if you are within, say 50 feet, of the vehicle. And you can hear them a quarter mile away.

They've started changing all the reversing beepers here to ones that make a much louder but kind of squelch-y noise, it's kind of hard to describe. The noise doesn't carry nearly as well, so you can really hear them where you need to but can barely hear them past about 100 meters.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
When i was in first year biology, we dissected sheep's eyes, and used one of them to demonstrate why you should wear your goggles when doing things in the lab. Dripping HCl on it, even at a low concentration, made the clear portion on the front of the eye cloud over instantly.

So probably someone splashed it in their eye at some point, yes. Or they saw it eat a glass container and went "maybe i don't want this in my squishy eye-meats, I'll tell everyone not to get it in their eyes".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sewer gas does poo poo.

I love the progression here.

Burn>pressure increase>explosion>shockwave.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pro-tip: replace your haul truck tyres when they need replacing because keeping a truck out of service to deal with this poo poo is thousands of dollars every hour.

I understand that they shot this one from a standoff distance of about 300m and let it slowly deflate.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

WrenP-Complete posted:

What happened?

The story I heard from a guy who worked at the mine (coal mine in South Africa) was that the mine super was notoriously cheap and would try to squeeze extra hours out of machinery before necessary maintenance. So the tyre should have been rotated out for retreading long before this, but instead the outer layer delaminated off the carcass and jammed it against the drive wheel.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouUTjtDevHk

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
http://i.imgur.com/vqs8AQsh.gifv

Wait for it.

Edit: can't tell if this has embedded properly or not, phoneposting

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Miso Beno posted:

Crystal meth.

quote:

Well, Congress is racing back to Washington to outlaw these.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Just another day in Russia

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Was the operator leaning that far forward deliberately? If so, he got off pretty lightly.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

in a telephone call he made during the flight, he stated that if someone could just explain how to use his GPS he could relay his position to rescuers

That's a pretty sizable omission in the old preparation plan there, padre.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

:stonk:

TL;DR: basically everyone got mauled by lions, except for the guy that was mailed by a cheetah during a bushfire, then the lions all got killed by a flood, except for the ones shot by a Sheriff.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"No animals were harmed in the making of this film"

quote:

In 1978, a flood from a dam break killed many lions in the film, washed away the set and destroyed nearly all of the movie, including sets, completed film footage and three key lions including Robbie, the movie's lion king. The picture was set back several years and the damaged done amounted to approximately US $4 million.

Robbie was a unique black-maned Rhodesian lion.

Checks out.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Imagined posted:

Not only that but the number one way to get stuck in snow here if they haven't plowed or salted yet is to actually stop at an intersection. Once you stop, nothing you can do is gonna get you moving again.

Jeep_hill_start_in_snow.mp4 goes here.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PostNouveau posted:

Do you get workman's comp if you injure yourself by being a dipshit?

I mean, that shelving system should have been secured to the wall behind it, so regardless of the dipshittery on display, proper procedure wasn't followed before long he was a moron.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Cross post from funny pictures

Stink Terios posted:

Yup. This little brick is gonna hold.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Buttcoin purse posted:

I saw this and figured it was in South Africa, and sure enough it was.

I heard years ago that stealing copper from live substations is pretty popular there. The article even says the same substation was hit a few weeks earlier.

I'd like to think that if I lived there I'd have called an ambulance, but I can imagine that with the kind of poo poo I hear about going on over there I'd be kind of happy to have one less criminal in my town.

Less risky OHSA in South Africa::

Slightly worse Africa OSHA.

Thieves in Kenya are stealing the oil out of power transformers and selling it as oil for deep frying food.

loving with electricity, loving with the economy and selling toxic oil for food use.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ramadu posted:

Meats class.

Please elaborate on this for the viewers who think that it can't possibly mean what they think it does.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Looking at that transcript is amazing. Somehow a dude whose college record makes him vaguely qualified to be a cattle farmer is in charge of the scientific advancement of energy supply and the radioactive waste disposal of the largest economy in the world.

Counting his grades, he has 9 Bs, 15 Cs and 5 Ds. Napkin math and my vague understanding of the way US colleges figure things out gets him a GPA of less than 2.2

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
He barely hits the fuel system and it suffers a critical existence failure. That's impressive.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The dude yelling towards the end of that one sounds like he's just had his heart broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OOg7vL3rNY

Don't watch at work with your speakers on, do watch the cable spool in the bottom right corner. Minor injuries to the crane operator.

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 12, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

The first tank says refrigerated liquid argon which is inert. If anything it would put the fires out.

Sure, but after it's blown up, the tank is ruined and all your expensive gas is ar-gone. Mission accomplished according to the workers.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Say Nothing posted:

Dammit, Grover!

I've seen this poo poo in third world countries. Normally what happens is someone owns a shop with a storeroom at the top of it in a tiny alleyway. They decide that the storeroom could be rented out to a family or two, so they board up the trapdoor and put some of these "stairs" up to it because they can charge more rent than they could if it was just a ladder.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

deoju posted:

Spotted this gif of a roofing accident in another thread. Before climbing, it's important to check the inside of the structure of hazards.

India: Not Even Once.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
9000kW sounds about right, it weighs 5600 tons. So if you converted that to a decent size car, of 1.4 tons (1/4000 the weight) it would have an engine of 2.25kW, and move at barely a walking pace.

The video is sped up a fair bit, they gently undulate across the landscape as opposed to looking like Howl's Moving Castle.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Megabound posted:

Those are spots where the tire wall has thinned and weakened, I think.

They don't thin and weaken, it's only impact that does that. Tears the outer layer away from the inner layer so that air pressure can get in between them and bulge out like that.

If you have one of those on your tire you need to replace it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nocheez posted:

Is this a FF2/FF4 reference? :golfclap:

Half-Life

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Here's a hint: they're not sold to people who are going to use them for the passenger seat.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Humphreys posted:

30 pack thank you.

???

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I'm like, "what's the issue here, they must be under a safety or something, just trundling around the track.

Oh. Slow-motion, got it.

Oh.

OHHH poo poo"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

drowned in pussy juice posted:

I could give less of a gently caress about cars but I'd probably watch a whole YouTube series about assembling the body of an f1 vehicle

Have you read this?

Formula 1: A technical deep dive into building the world’s fastest cars

Not as deep as the name implies but still fascinating reading.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Baronjutter posted:

Look at this loving crash, the car is reduced to a barely recognizable pile of scrap wedged against a wall and the driver just walks it off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS8g_urBuLc
Actual crash at 2:00, holy gently caress

That last shot of the accident was great. The trackside camera captured its entire impending doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
loving hell, as if Russian infrastructure wasn't scary enough, have some hundred mile-an-hour winds on top of it as well.

BBC is reporting 16 dead now.