Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
Phoning in from Panama, where uncle Terry had himself an OSHA experience.

About 2 days ago, during our annual family vacation, we decided to build ourselves a bonfire on the beach.

This beach has brutal winds so lighting it with pedestrian means such as newspaper and oil, charcoal lighter fluid or kerosene seemed futile. I had prepared about a pint of "napalm" (just gas with Styrofoam in it) and had about 400 grams of thermate to ensure that the fire would start.

We arranged the logs in the traditional tepee shape, doused it liberally with the flask of napalm and set the thermate canister on top. I had prepared a 170 cm wooden stick with magnesium ribbon on the end to ignite the thermate safely. Which it did.

What didn't ignite safely was the gasoline. It exploded in a loving fireball out of Satan's rear end. There was a slight ignition delay, I remember going "yay" when the thermate started going and "fffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuck" when the fireball hit me half a second later.

There wasn't a lot of time for reflection, just my rear end in a top hat clenching like Simon Adabisi was watching me pick up a dropped bar of soap. I still don't know how or why I didn't catch on fire like the greasy goon that I am. When the fireball passed, I noticed my hair wasn't on fire, my face wasn't on fire and my hands felt as if I submerged them in a deep fryer so I sprinted a good 50 meters to the sea.

The cold seawater didn't help much. Egg whites and ice did. 45 minutes later, including arguing with a private clinic who wanted to shunt me to the public health center about 20 minutes farther on, and I ended up with both hands covered in silver sulphate.

Lesson 1: don't use gas for anything except putting it in your damned car.

Lesson 2: the worst part about burning the poo poo out of your hands is the delay before the burly black nurse gives you a shot in the rear end. 15 minutes down the road and I wanted to go back and give him a big wet kiss on his bald noggin.

Lesson 3: sometimes even Atheists can have miracles happen to them.

http://imgur.com/XWemlmp

http://imgur.com/vhTnmY6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Blistex posted:

Crows are basically birds with the brain capacity of a 2 year old.

I know grackles are not corvids but I remember those fuckers eating my dog's food. Since the kibble was too hard to break or swallow, what they would do is take a nugget and drop in the dog's water bowl, wait a few minutes until the nugget got soggy, acquired a wet bread consistency and chow down. The dog didn't give a gently caress.

edit: as a citizen of a country that has four mosquito-borne diseases, I say we wipe the fuckers out. Having Dengue fever, Yellow fever, Chikungunya and Malaria in one country sucks. Most of those diseases have no vaccines too.

TerryLennox fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 23, 2016

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

PhotoKirk posted:

They aren't attempting colonization yet.

And they still don't offer spousal insurance benefits to sheep, yet.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

At work we have circuit breakers rated for 5kV to around 40kV that have contacts inside of vacuum bottles. It's not an absolutely perfect vacuum but on the lower end voltages like 4160V they can interrupt like 20,000A of current (nominal flow of 1200A). They are simple and extremely reliable. (I am proposing to retrofit/replace older breakers with newer and even more mechanically simple systems like the ABB AMVAC and ADVAC roll-in retrofits.)

There are warnings about PM testing of vacuum interrupter bottles - if you apply a high test voltage across the contacts with them close together but not touching you can generate hazardous amounts of x-rays.

Essentially turning them into CRTs?

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

One of my claims, a couple years back:

I had a very similar incident a few weeks back. Only it was smallish piece of a slab of concrete from a third floor balcony which fell on my car and dented/scrapped one of the passenger doors. Who pays for the repair? Unfortunately my building doesn't have accident insurance, as my country doesn't require it.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

oohhboy posted:

I heard lead paint is sweet tasting.

Lead itself could be sweet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead(II)_acetate

Romans accidentally made a lead salt from boiling grape juice in lead pots.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

One of my co-workers is a grandson of Hedy Lamarr. It came up during a team "tell us something interesting about yourself" exercise, and we all agreed that he wins forever.

IT'S HEDLEY!!

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Grundulum posted:

What the hell was leaking out of it? And was this a reasonable use scenario (like, did the lack of resistance mean the blade spun faster than it was designed for)?

Magic smoke. You will not be able to use that after the grinder has been emptied of magic smoke.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

She seems excessively calm

Not to mention she has beautiful hair. I am still wonder WTF she was doing lighting a flare from inside and throwing it out.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

A very underappreciated Stephen King story. Watching the movie is a guilty pleasure for me.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

This would be grounds for chopping the tree to the stump (Panamanian style tree trimming). Its why I push for underground cabling, we need the tree cover drat it.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

That'll buff out, no problem mate.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

these are loving rad

Yeah, kind of looks what a PDF from Warhammer 40K in an archaic planet would build. FOR CADIA!!

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

My official doctrine:

You have impeccable taste.

4 words: Streets of Rage Remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

These Fallout 4 sledgehammer mods are getting ridiculous now.