Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Not OSHA, but I had an electricity-related adventure today. A tree fell on some power lines down the road from my place, something something transformer. This resulted in my house getting some spicy watts, a surge then a brownout. Ended up frying my microwave and dishwasher before I had the good sense to turn everything off at the circuit breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Explosionface posted:

A couple years ago, we had a deal where one phase of power came lose at the pole and fell onto the neutral. Took me too long to figure out the power wasn't "out" before I turned off the breaker box. Every major 120V appliance had to be replaced and I think I'm still chasing down the occasional light fixture that was damaged.

I think I heard one of the firemen say something about a phase. Like, that I was down a phase? Something about half-cycling?

Probably should have written it down, but I was on 3 hours of sleep, and everything will be in the insurance write-up. My table fan woke me up going a gorillion RPM on the lowest setting.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

A Thunderbird crashed today, too, but he was able to get out before he woke up dead.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/breaking-news/2016/06/02/thunderbirds-f-16-crashes-following-air-force-academy-graduation/85307094/

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Humphreys posted:

A friend just added more proof that his crew are dead men walking to facebook (not 100% sure it's his original picture - coulda been pinched off another website).

And this is from a mining fails facebook group I look at.

Feel like posting some greatest hits from that group?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I mean, the alternative is dying from some all-natural cancer.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Private Speech posted:

OTHER PROTECTIVE CLOTHING OR EQUIPMENT: Rubber footwear and protective clothing
(acid resistant hood and full body suit
recommended).

I mean, I wouldn't use it myself, even if it does clean the drains fairly well (and may or may not damage your plumbing).

90% sure that stuff would eat right through my pipes.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Miso Beno posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ling-slept.html

Might get your downstairs neighbors in the process.

He knew the risks.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

mostlygray posted:

That's par for the course in a warehouse. No one will admit to damaging anything. I used to tell my guys when I was a warehouse manager, "Just tell me if you break something." I don't care, I know it was a mistake, I just need to know. They never would. They were so afraid of being punished, even though I never punished anyone for mistakes, they would clam up.

I once noticed that a security camera had been moved so that it no longer covered an area of high value product. I asked everyone if they had moved it. No, no, no... is all I got. I became paranoid that someone was stealing as the items being covered were small with hundreds of SKUs and would have taken a shutdown to do a physical inventory. The camera was set about 15 feet high on a column so I knew that it would take purpose to move it.

I didn't know what time it had happened, so I had to watch security footage for forever to determine that one of my forklift drivers had nailed the column hard enough to jog the camera over and tried to pretend that it didn't happen. Just loving tell me! I won't punish you! I just need to know. You're not a baby! I won't give you a spanking.

Wildly disproportionate punishments for not telling you when the gently caress up and headpats when they do.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

DON'T JUDGE ME

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Great, now people will dive in there, thinking it's hiding some kind of treasure.

The treasure is skeletons.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Ruh-roh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOL20yOKqGg

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Rah! posted:

Now do a search on live leak for "lathe accident". Fun fact: If you ever want to relocate your arm and also your face, wear loose clothing while working a lathe!

Or long hair. Or jewelry. Or the lathe just isn't in a good mood that day and demands the blood price.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

CADPAT posted:

Best argument against guns ever.

Relevant to this discussion and OSHA - this summer at the Battleschool there were multiple incidents of live rounds mixed in with blanks during force on force exercises. Not sure who keeps dropping the ball but seriously.

Are you rated to repair the M-3 Tactical Helmet?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Sanctum posted:

I fuel 737s and thanks for the nightmares. Jesus christ that takes getting degloved into a whole new level.

The indicator lights on 737s are the same orange-yellow hew as basically every standard always-on running light, and the indicator lights blink real slow. Even brand new EMBs use the same indicator lights and it baffles me because the warning lights require so much specific attention to actually notice. How many planes do I drive behind in a day? A loving lot, I cannot be careful enough. I've seen dudes get hit by full-on jet blast but never someone unwittingly get in front of the engines in the same circumstances. Not so nice to see the horrifying results of that. :ohdear:

The APU on jets is very, very loud and creates a visible heatwave just the same as a running engine. Yet I go under the wing with APUs running during nomral fueling procedures all the time. So what you might think would be the 'obvious' sign to watch out for isn't really obvious at all. Not a day goes by where a wingman doesn't wave me forward when the indicator lights of a plane are still on and I just loving sit there while they get frustrated and gesture more frantically before shrugging and turning their back. Not happening man.

What typically happens to dudes who get hit by a full on jet blast?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Mozi posted:

I think I've finally figured out how to keep the squirrels out of my garden...

Yeah, it's called .22LR.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Just ask him if it's cool if you snipe woodland creatures. Cops are known for being super chill.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meiuOQHTsNg

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I support a Sons of the Patriots weapon lock system to protect the internet.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

Does not having air conditioning, access to SA and YouTube, and having to go outside and speak to other people in the real world for several hours not strike terror into your heart?

A couple of years ago I didn't have power for 14 days. It changes you.

I did things, terrible things...

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm the guy who sees the cloud of flour coming and decides to calmly walk the other way.

Calmly walking the other way has probably saved a bunch of people from gruesome deaths over the course of human history.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Hey, what kinda mask do I need if I'm gonna be sanding rust off of a fuckton of iron fencing?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Oh, you're a real cheeky bunch, aren't you.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

I bet it actually is fun if you get to use one of those laser cleaners. :colbert:

I'd clean a fence with one just to hear the ominous VWEEEM noise.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

I'll be the roundabout

Road safety, not OSHA. Also, a guy might've died 3 seconds after the video ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpwFL8ffwMo

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

A living, breathing human should have to catch me breaking the law, drat it. It's not sporting otherwise.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Man, all this roundabout talk is booooring as poo poo.

It's a load-bearing spine.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I accidentally ran a red in Washington and didn't get a ticket. Maybe the camera was broken.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

zedprime posted:

Pneumatic instrumentation and controls are really something. How long do you give it until pneumatic punks take over for steam punks and people start gluing regulators and needle valves to a hat?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Whoopsie-doodle.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/18/peterson-air-force-base-laced-water-spill/

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

elise the great posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how this happened, since they... kinda don't have connectors that can mate. A foley cath (indwelling) typically has three possible ports: a luer-lock screw-top port that requires a compatible adapter for flushing and drawing back fluid, a second luer that inflates the balloon, and a large open rubber tube where the drainage bag hooks up, which is large enough at the opening to jam your finger into if you had some weird reason to do that. I'm guessing that's where the oxygen hooked up, because oxygen hooks up with a slip-tip cath that's not compatible at all with luer systems (for good reason, as we use that system for IV lines). Plus the pt end of any oxygen hookup is like... a mask or a nasal cannula or something, which is COMPLETELY incompatible with a rubber tube.

I just can't figure out what wacko MacGuyver nonsense had to take place to get the two hooked up. Somebody had to work at that. And turn the pressure up to max, or something. I just don't understand HOW

Sounds like he got Hitman: Blood Moneyed, honestly.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

What kind of injury makes you puke up poop.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

themoreyouknow.wmv

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I wonder who covers workplace safety at CERN?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Platystemon posted:

“test subjects” :hitler:

"This is very useful data THAT WE CAN'T REPLICATE EVER BECAUSE IT'S MURDER."

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Time works the same way.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgvFpOCBek4

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I wonder if there are any instances of someone committing suicide by radiation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

VectorSigma posted:

it's common for DORITOFU cars

Tofu tax and idiot tax.