Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/2R5gb7v.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Fire Exit

I might just risk it with the fire tbh

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Here's a nice primer on the history and evolutionary of us military procurement if anyone wants to read more:

http://www.iceaaonline.com/ready/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/PS09-Paper-Lofgren-History-of-Thought-in-Defense-Acquisitions.pdf

Was expecting a link to The Pentagon Wars

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/i4mCAf3.gifv

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Source: https://youtu.be/h148KchWQMI

Bonus clip: https://youtu.be/tENKQp6tnBY

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Part of a multi-vehicle accident today, north/south freeway in a construction zone sharing one side of the freeway, separated by those movable concrete barriers.

One semi hit the center dividers and moved them, causing a bunch of vehicles to hit them, and another semi to jump the sidewall and off the freeway, shown above.

The trailer burned and then exploded. Two semi truck drivers died, it's not yet known what vehicles and roles they played in the situation.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Sorry for the Reddit link, but phone posting from the shitter at work so I don't have time to find a proper mirror.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/c64onp/200_iq_vegan_protesters_lock_themselves_to_the/

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Burt Sexual posted:

Imagine continuously driving in fear of passing a cop for fear of a ridiculously expensive ticket, to own the man for freedoms.

Most seat belt tickets are like $25 to $50, and you can't even be pulled over for it as a primary offense in 15 states. New Hampshire doesn't even have a seatbelt law.

In my state, the fine is $10. Only about 10 states have seatbelt fines that hit that $100 or more mark.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Not really OSHA but it kinda fits

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1xRYzon9WH/?igshid=gjooy4p3ut0q

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
There's a cargo ship on its side off the Georgia Coast. 20 of 24 crew members were rescued quickly, but 4 are apparently trapped inside the ship.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/breaking-rescuers-make-contact-with-crew-members-off-georgia-coast/ECnajEoA0enSXKTcXGBpbK/amp.html

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Trabant posted:

DIY wood splitters are frequently posted here and... honestly, this one's not as immediately dangerous to life or health as most:

https://i.imgur.com/armbUri.mp4

I think that is the safest home brew wood splitter I've seen posted anywhere

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Sydin posted:

So just saw this on my walk back from lunch. Couldn't get any too detailed pics because the guy was pulling out just as I was walking past, but:

Granted I'm not an expert on how to properly tie down a load to a flatbed, but I feel like there should be more securing this than a single bungee cable over the top?

There's a front tie down and the blue thing is another ratchet straps. I wouldn't do it exactly like that but it's probably fine for city streets.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Jenny Agutter posted:

The"doors" were the exact same color and texture as the surrounding sidewalk because they actually are sidewalk. Absolutely should have been cordoned off

I know this is an "old" post, but I've never seen one that wasn't unpainted rusted steel, it's pretty obvious on a concrete sidewalk.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://twitter.com/nipsfalloff/status/1175132920866123777?s=20

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Weird, I don't see any Swift or CRST logos

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

TorpedoFish posted:

Hey now, it's supposed to open in 2020, and I think that's only the sixth opening date.

They've had to start replacing light fixtures and display screens because they're wearing out from having been on non-stop since 2010 or so.

I could talk about BER all day long :allears:.

:justpost:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-southkorea-accident-ship/fire-on-oil-tankers-at-south-korean-port-injures-nine-yonhap-idUSKBN1WD04S

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Sanctum posted:

So airplanes use a disgusting amount of fuel and don't have much in the way of filters. They count on the filtering being done ground-side. Because of the amount of fuel they go through it's extra important that jet fuel is clear of contamination. One aspect of filtering jet fuel is removing water contamination. The old style of filters do this by absorbing the water and filters are replaced every year. The new filters are water separators and are good for 3-5 years, but because they separate water from fuel it's important that they are drained daily to prevent buildup of water contamination.

I'm currently on vacation. Last time I went on vacation I came back and found water contamination in most of the units with the new filters because my co-workers weren't doing their jobs. There's a new fueling company that never did any kind of compliance for the whole summer. Maybe they were dumping contaminated fuel into the pits at night, or maybe they never drained their filters and pumped dirty fuel because they didn't know better? Anyways they are doing the right things now, because I see them doing it now whereas before they had no legitimate way of collecting or disposing of contaminated fuel. There's a 3rd company that's even worse and I'm actually confused about how the FAA hasn't shut them down. I think there's not enough g-men that know the rules to actually enforce them so right now it's kinda an at-will thing. Be good or don't. What does happen is eventually an airline auditor comes along that knows their stuff and then they report violations to the FAA.

Well the sad thing this is the playbook that certain people operate under is to intentionally break government functions just so they can point at those functions as evidence that government is disfunctional and incapable of working.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Sagebrush posted:

Ow Oof this take is so loving hot

If the system is anticipated to kill innocent people in its testing, then you find a better loving way to test it or you cancel the research. We don't conduct experiments like that any more. We don't involve unwilling participants in scientific research at all, let alone research that poses a risk to their life. That's literal Nazi poo poo.

No. They should not. End of debate.

There is no reason that anyone should die in the development of self-driving cars. Yes, the process may take longer and cost more if we have to use motorized crash test dummies on a closed course instead of letting half-baked CS 102 projects loose on public streets, but that is the only ethical way to approach the problem. Uber's project only made it onto the streets because of greed and stupidity and it's a goddamn travesty that no one is in jail for this woman's murder.

E: like I just want you to really grasp that the trolley problem is not applicable to this situation or to the real world in general. We have decided as a society that it is never acceptable to violate a human being's right to safety and life because doing so might save more people down the line. You can't even make someone donate their blood or bone marrow to save someone else's life at little risk to their own. Saying "well, some people will be killed by our experiments, but maybe in a couple of decades we will have improved outcomes somewhat so it balances out" is just incredibly callous and, again, literally the kind of justifications used by Nazi doctors.

I really appreciate this post, and it needs to be quoted in full again and again and again.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Turtlicious posted:

Why not make the car stop no matter what is in front of it???

We have a very very long time of mixed operation vehicles having to interact with each other, and if you don't think people would abuse this, well I don't know what to say.

Memento posted:

The fact that it's insanely relevant to the discussion and you just dismiss it with a flip remark speaks volumes about yours.

Yes.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
As an aside, following the end of the Google/Uber lawsuit, Uber had to pay for an independent third party code audit to see if their software still infringed on Google/waymo tech, and the results recently came back that it still did.

They've been ripping out code and trying to re-do it in ways that don't infringe, which I would guess is just the worst case scenario for quality/function of their systems. Would probably be a lot safer if they started over.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Baronjutter posted:

I love DNE but I'm having trouble with his podcasts because his perfectly fine co-hosts just go off on tangents for 75% of the run time. I'm actually interested in the topics, not tangents and barely related anecdotes by his friends. The same folks with the same general format but a little more focused with DNE telling his 2 friends a story and them only talking to react to what they are learning and ask questions about the topic would be great.

The last one about the politics of traffic management or whatever was unlistenable to me because of all the tangents. I really want to like this, hope this new one is better.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Moto42 posted:

There's such a huge problem with cops in the states being de-facto immune to traffic laws.

I nearly got killed riding a scooter to work when a cop blew a red light; no lights, no siren; just straight through.
He passed behind me less than a foot from my back tire and didn't even slow down.

A sheriff in my county ran a red and tboned a woman. He arrested her for drunk driving, but the blood draw at the hospital was completely negative. It was the second time he ran a red and hit someone innocent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
A hot water pipe in Penza Russia broke and opened up a fairly big sinkhole, full of 75c water.

It was obscured by rising steam, and a Lada drove into it and sank. Two dead.

There's pictures and video out there if you're into that sort of thing.

And if you're like me and was confused by the idea of water mains filled with hot water, sounds like its a Russian thing where they make hot water centrally and pipe it out to homes and businesses for both heating and showering/washing/etc.