Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The fuels used in commercial launches in the US are pretty safe to be around after they've all combusted. It's the military rockets that use the nasty fuels, mainly because you can't spend an extra hour doing propellant loading on an ICBM after war is declared.

Of course, the materials used to build the rocket itself can have their own issues...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Johnny Aztec posted:

What kind of charges will the owners of those places (like the current fire) receive in court? (assuming they made it out)

They should really be looking at Murder One.

A $20 fine, if history is any indication.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Gorilla Salad posted:

Uh, I'm gonna need some clarifying here.

A mountain of poo poo between you and survival sounds a lot like an art piece to me.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Breakfast Feud posted:

Technically true, but with every rear-drum brake truck I've owned I can easily drive in reverse with the brake engaged but it there's enough stopping power to stall the motor going forward.

That's because the reverse gear typically has lower gearing (so the motor provides more torque) than even the first forwards gear.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Breakfast Feud posted:

You doofuses realize that you can lock up the rear wheel on a fixie pretty easy, right? Shift your weight, knees against frame and you're in a skid. It's not nearly as quick as hitting a brake lever but it's not like fixies are some unstoppable machine

cool, now you have less than half the braking power of someone who has actual brakes on their bike

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
And then you turn it back into AC power to send to people's homes, at which point they have a dozen tiny boxes that each individually turns it back into DC again, then slices it up to tens of kilohertz switched current, to transform it down to 5V, and then back to DC yet again to power the stuff people care about.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phanatic posted:

There is still a lot of household stuff that runs on straight 60Hz 120V.

Pretty much just big white goods at this point, I think. Perhaps some older kitchen appliances? Virtually everything these days has an actual microcontroller and hence at least some circuitry to turn AC into low-voltage DC. And a lot of portable appliances use that power circuitry to power the entire device, so you get it to be 110/230V agnostic for free.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

cheese-cube posted:

Sounds like the dentist just wasn't following the correct procedure for cleaning the tools.

quote:

The problem occurred due to equipment assembly and is not related to the clinical practice of the dental staff at the clinic

:shrug:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Don't be a fool,
do what you ought ta'
always add
acid to water

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Essentially, when acid and water meet the acid breaks down into positively-charged hydrogen ions, and the negatively-charged leftovers, which all distribute themselves around the solution. The distribution process produces quite a bit of heat.

If you take a big batch of pure acid, and dump some water in there, it's likely to just instantly boil from that heat and splash highly-concentrated acid everywhere. So instead you add acid to water, which lets you control how much heat is produced (by adding the acid slowly) and gives you a whole bunch of water to spread that heat around, which avoids the issue.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DonnyTrump posted:

Some OSHA news from my general area. Yesterday at around 2:30 PM EST a pile of garbage shifted or fell over on/under some trucks in a landfill. 5 or 6 people were in trucks, all but one is currently out. Last I knew there was one guy still in a front end loader buried under 100-150 feet of garbage. This is pretty morbid but any idea how long someone could survive something like that?

Assuming it's an enclosed cab and they weren't crushed to death instantly? The big killer is suffocation. Depending on how large the cab was and how compacted the garbage around the cab ventilation is, they could potentially hold out for several hours, maybe a day. Panicking or not turning off the engine would reduce that by quite a bit.

I'd imagine that if they can't be retrieved quickly, the priority would be getting a hose to pump air through down to them, after which they can probably survive for a couple of (rather unpleasant) days while getting slowly dug out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ChesterJT posted:

Does the technology not exists to sense an obstruction and stop the elevator? Almost all garage doors these days have magic eyes.

Properly designed elevators generally don't move unless the doors are closed.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Humphreys posted:

Alternating Current doesn't have a polarity.

Perhaps not from a purely functional perspective, but when you're looking at things with safety in mind...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

haveblue posted:

True, if submerged in water it won't be able to hurt anything via direct radiation other than curious fish. But if the core ruptures, the currents will pick up and carry all kinds of dangerous stuff and it'll spread throughout the ecosystem like mercury does.

There's a helluva lot of ocean, though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Of course, now you're totally hosed if the wife does some digging and figures out where the cars went.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Typically in a house doors open into rooms because having an opaque door that opens out into a hallway is a recipe for people getting a door to the face, and is just generally annoying (since you can't leave a door open without blocking the hallway).

Sometimes there's an exception for the toilet if it's in a very small room, but if you have room to put a vanity in (so people can wash their hands before opening the door) you probably have room for the door to open inwards as well.

Or just use a sliding door.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zipperelli. posted:

Well if the truck driver wasn't impaired and his logs weren't hosed with, then there was no crime committed. Maybe careless driving; but that's a ticket, not an arrestable offense.

depending on how you look at it, getting into a crash and then carrying on driving is a hit-and-run.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
hackers could turn your car into a BOMB

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Brake systems have been computerized since the 70s, incidentally. You can totally prevent the brakes from operating if you have full control over the computer that runs the ABS system.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GotLag posted:

The problem with link and pin is you need to have someone insert the pin when the trains are exactly the right distance apart, either from very careful positioning by the driver, or more often, someone standing between the vehicles waiting to drop the pin at just the right moment as they move together.

I've seen a link and pin design where the slot you put the link into is extendable, and has a separate pin that locks it in the collapsed position. The trick is that you can extend it out and hook it up while they're just sort of vaguely close (and there's enough play that the exact distance doesn't matter), and then after you've done that the locomotive can push it all the way together without anyone needing to be in the middle.

I think this was the front connector on a british high speed train, but good like finding any video of it without sifting through hundreds of hours of BRITISH STEAM TRAIN AT HIGH SPEED crap.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My favorite part of the article is the "but if you don't let slumlords cram people into dangerous fire traps, ~artists~ won't be able to afford to live in the city!" bit at the end

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

chitoryu12 posted:

Exactly what's causing housing prices to balloon in San Francisco so badly? It seems way out of proportion to what it should actually be worth compared to similar cities.

Tech bubble results in a big influx of highly-paid tech workers, spiking demand.

Regional governments largely prohibit construction of higher-density residential units, constraining supply.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Are avocado seeds so easy to cut that someone could accidentally stab all the way through it? Or was this particular knife just so amazingly sharp that it turned into a vorpal blade? The only other scenario I can think of is that the 'chef' stabbed the knife into the avocado pip a few eighths of an inch and for some reason tried to drive it in further by turning it all upside down and hammering the handle of the knife against the bench.

It looks like they missed the seed itself, and just stabbed hard through the (very soft) flesh of the avocado (and then the very soft flesh of their hand).

Perhaps they were trying to stab and cut around it like you would to get an eye out of a potato? Definitely not the right technique for an avocado.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

dobbymoodge posted:

The pit is slick and round, you will get unlucky and the knife will one day deflect and cut whatever is behind the pit.

You're not tenderizing meat here, there's no need to put any real force into the chopping motion. You're just swinging the knife through air, and stopping before it reaches your hand. Most people are capable of doing that without injuring themselves even when there isn't an avocado in between.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pretty sure in that model it's not a circular runway - the runways are straight-through (you use whichever one is oriented appropriately for the wind direction), and the outer ring is a taxiway.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Gromit posted:

Is it possible for someone to do a steelmill tour and actually get close enough to a crucible or arc furnace or something to get a feel for the heat and noise?
Or is that an OSHA no-go? I'd love to see it, but feel most tours would keep you too far away.

Depends on what you're thinking of as "close enough". You're almost certainly not getting near the furnace while it's open though - they're not going to open it up (and lose a bunch of heat) so a tour group can have a look, and when it's opened up to charge the furnace then no-one at all is allowed in the potential blast zone.

You can definitely experience the noise, as well as the baseline heat from being in the same room as the furnace while it's closed. And the tour I was on, the tour route went on a catwalk above where the steel is extruded, and you could definitely feel the heat coming off that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Gromit posted:

That sounds perfect. I was looking at a tour nearby and they sounded like you'd see it through the window of a tour bus.

It's probably something that varies, so you might want to ask the operator about specifics if it's important to you. I imagine you're going to get bussed around a bunch regardless just because of the size of the plant - we basically got dropped off on one side of a building, walked through it, got picked up on the other side to go to the next one.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phanatic posted:

Again: I'm not arguing that the company shouldn't comply with the terms of its agreement. I'm arguing that the agreement it made was stupid. And your argument that a union has to protect its bad workers in order to protect its good workers is stupid; a union is more than capable of deciding that certain actions deserve no protection, and a union isn't forced by anything other than its own willful choices into defending bad workers.

The union has a pretty strong interest in ensuring that the company stands by the terms of the agreement, even when the company would prefer to screw over a (in this case allegedly bad) worker instead!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phanatic posted:

And "allegedly" bad? There's no dispute that he falsified maintenance records for essential safety equipment, from either side of the dispute. In other words, it's not an allegation that he did that. I don't think that "allegedly" qualifier belongs there.

Yes, at the time he was fired he was "allegedly bad". Practically any time something happens on the spot it's based on allegations, you only find out if they're actually true or not once people finish arguing it out.
The whole point of procedures about termination is that the company has to prove that you're actually bad instead of just sacking you on the spot and putting the burden of proof on you to prove them wrong, while in the meantime having no source of income.

Note that practically every CBA ever is totally fine with the company putting someone on an emergency suspension to get them off the job site, while the company gets its ducks in a row and goes through the actual proper agreed-upon termination process.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm really at a loss as to what that chemical could be.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Struensee posted:

Probably for leaving his register unmanned, against company policy.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mozi posted:

This is pretty nuts, but I can hardly understand a word they're saying without the subtitles. I guess you get used to it with time? Seems kind of OSHA in and of itself.

You get to used to it, the reason it's difficult is that you don't understand the jargon. (It's similar to learning a foreign language - if you're just learning, and someone is speaking too fast for you, you're likely to understand none of it at all). Once you understand the jargon well enough, everything in the video becomes a sentence with a well-defined meaning instead of just a bag of words, and it's much easier to comprehend.

It sounds like they lined up with the right-most set of lights (as you'd normally do if you were landing on 28 R), not realizing that 28 L was down for repairs and didn't have the lights on. So 28 R was actually the left-most set of lights, and the right-most set of lights was the taxiway.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If taking a photo of the sun without an eclipse going on doesn't gently caress up your camera, taking a photo during the eclipse won't be any worse. The reason looking at the eclipse will gently caress your eyes is because it gets dark enough that there's no squint response preventing you from staring directly at it, and your eyes dilate to see more, and then all the UV light gets in and burns your retina to poo poo.

Your phone camera doesn't have a squint response, if you point it at the sun it gets all the UV regardless of whether there's an eclipse or not.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Long flights are pretty tolerable once you spend enough for a lie-flat bed.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hubis posted:

Interesting! That makes sense. Why are they still isolated from one another -- in case one of the paths is taken down for maintenance?

They're not actually isolated - they'll generally have ties every so often keeping them together (both physically and electrically).

The reason they have two cables instead of one is because it's more efficient than having a single thicker cable.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Often rails end up buckling due to unexpectedly hot weather.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Former DILF posted:

well only because they cant contain more than the allowed amount of liquid

the point was probably that you don't need to pull them out separately in a clear plastic bag the way you do for the other liquids you're bringing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Okay, give her a ruler with distances marked in "oval office hairs" then.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
How much is it worth now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I seem to recall it being the "you're about to get run over by a large vehicle" room, which I'm sure makes for some fun conversation when people look at their own reactions afterwards.