Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is there a scientific explanation as to why everything seems super dark around a huge fire/explosion even if it's outside and well ventilated. I know smoke could account for some of it, but it always just seems like it pulls all the light into it and it's kinda weird. I'd say it could be a trick with cameras but even in real life I've seen it with like building fires and what not.

Stuff what is on fire is much brighter than stuff that isn't. Both eyes and cameras tend to adjust for the brightest thing that they're looking at so everything else looks comparatively much darker.

Either that or it's ghosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

satanic splash-back posted:

You're loving stupid, do you not understand how light and eyes work or what?

"Why is my house always so dark after I stare at the sun?"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
As awful as it can be I feel like the military would probably put more emphasis on worker safety, if only because of the cost of training people.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Slanderer posted:

Haha people are always exaggerating with this stuff! How that even be a

huh

Sounds like you'd have to be some kinda moron to get that wrong

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

TotalLossBrain posted:

Some kind of mud wasp?

Similar to mud daubers, my favorite OSHA bug. Bit of a backstory: The Hanford site in Washington State is where all plutonium production happened in the Cold War years. As you might expect, the place is a mess of a radioactive wasteland. Very expensive cleanup has been going on since the 90's.
Something the cleanup people are working with are 'fixants' - they affix contamination onto a surface. Say you have an underground valve pit for radioactive waste and it has radioactive dust all over everything. Trying to clean it (well) in place is crazy, so you spray a fixant on it.
Sometime in the mid/late 90's, a new fixant was looking very promising. It kept contamination levels down and was easy to apply and work with.
A few months after first use, however, stray bits of radioactivity were picked up in the nearest town, Richland, which is about 15 miles away. This increased over the summer. After some sleuthing, the culprit was found to be the mud dauber wasp. The new fixant contained glucose and the mud daubers took a liking to it. Then they'd spread out and build nests elsewhere. After a few months, they had finally gotten far enough away to be noticed.
The contamination was cleaned up and a different fixant used.

Wasps are cool and smart. They know what they want and how to get it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Red Suit posted:

Management is already well aware of the numerous osha violations. Our master electrician has been threatening to tip off Osha if things don't change. My job doesn't require me to touch any of the heavy duty machines thankfully.

One-up him by reporting to OSHA yourself

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was probably a red headed mouse spider:

Mouse spiders look really similar to funnel web spiders, certainly close enough for people to go "Nope, ain't going anywhere near that fucker, goodbye!" Their venom is pretty darned toxic but there's no record of their bite ever causing a fatality in Australia.

That's a very pretty spider.

Remember, you are infinitely more likely to be bitten by a spider if you're trying to kill it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pick posted:

Infinitely?!

That means that there's a zero chance of a spider attack regardless of what I do, or there's a 100% chance a spider will retaliate at any sign of hostility!

At any given time you can assume that there is an infinite number of spiders on an infinite number of planets, all of which are willing to retaliate against you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Decrepus posted:

This movie resulted in me having severely underdeveloped balls. Oh, and also a fear of spiders.

Spiders are our friends and are happy to ignore you if you don't try to murder them

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Phanatic posted:

Compared to what 9/11 conspirator Mounir El Motassadeq got sentenced to in Germany, that's positively draconian.

Ah yeah, that famous workplace safety disaster 9/11

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Just cut your hands off

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

tater_salad posted:

I live around here and I'm really pissed that Occidental (Hooker) got hosed with this one.. Yes it was a toxic waste dump but it was from an era of gently caress-it lets toss it in the garbage. Then when Niagara falls wanted to buy it they were all gently caress NO.. NO NO NO NOPE NOPE NOPE NO you don't want this. But they still pressured and Occidental still said. NO you don't want it go find other land, yet still the government pressured them, so they sold it and put "Pleae dont' build on this poo poo" in the sales agreement.. Yet still it was THEIR fault that toxic waste was bobing in peoples basements.

Also prevalent in my area: Some waste from the Manhattan project that's buried underground in a cask, no one wants to disburb since there are residential homes across the street, so they just leave it there and monitor the ground.

They also recently found some fill from love canal that was sitting somenwere, and they were transporting the dirt for scrubbing to a plant that's near where I use to live. (I started taking an alternative route when the hazardous waste dirt containers were sitting on containment mats)

On the other hand, gently caress em

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Phanatic posted:

Nah. They disposed of that stuff, with permission from the city, in accord with the laws of the time. The disposal site was lined and capped. They really didn't want the city to build there, and only agreed to the sale after the city threatened to condemn the land and take it from them anyway. Then the folks the city hired to build there decided to do things like puncture the lining to run horizontal pipes, and excavate the clay cap to use as fill dirt, letting water in and out. Hooker's only fault in this was in expecting their disclaimer of liability to hold up in court.

They can still go gently caress themselves.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

BattleMaster posted:

Wasps are garbage and I have the materials on hand to build that bug zapper so maybe I should try it

Wasps are actually good and important pollenators. They're also smart rnough to recognize and tell other wasps about people that have attacked them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I dare you to prove that.

They also remember people who are friendly, which is why I'm BFFs with all wasps.

Gullous posted:

I think he's describing crows. Crows can recognize faces and communicate those faces to other crows.

Wasps do it too. Take this book from 1900 for example.
http://www.kellscraft.com/Wasps/Wasps15.html

quote:

There was once a nest of little yellow-jackets in a wood-shed, where whoever entered was obliged to pass within a few inches of it. This most people could do with impunity. But there was a coloured boy whom the black-and-yellow tenants of the nest could not endure. They would not allow him to enter the shed, or even to come within several yards of the door. “They bite me whenever I go that way,” he complained, and he had not molested them in any way. Perhaps he smelled of deceit, and they were afraid to trust him near their precious paper fabric.
Some wasps are racist

quote:

It is generally easy to make friends with the wasps if the nest is near at hand, and if they are never frightened or tormented. They do not sting for the sake of stinging, but only in self-defence. There are a number of cases on record of people having allowed the hornets to build in their houses, and suffering no inconvenience in consequence.

That wasps have a good memory was shown by those that learned to go to their nests through a paper opening of various colours. They not only observed the colours but remembered them.

Once a wasp's nest was built in an attic, and the wasps were in the habit of approaching it through an open window. One day this window was closed, and after bumping against the glass a few times, the wasps found another entrance, and did not again attempt to pass through the window.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

Wasps do have some form of communication though. I watched some Alan Alda thing where they did a bunch of experiments. They'd set up a picnic with dummies and props and a wasp would come back to its nest with the food and then other wasps would come too, some how that wasp told the others. So then they'd move everyone do another bench, but the previous wasps would go to the old bench but quickly figure out the new one. They kept changing things and seeing how the wasps would react and ended up strongly indicating the wasps were somehow not just describing the general direction and distance from the nest of the food source, but also what the area looked like. When the dummies and props were changed around the wasps got confused because they were told "look for the 4 blue shirt wearing people sitting at a table" and when they'd arrive there would be 2 green shirted dummies. If a table nearby was set up with 4 blue shirted dummies the wasps would quickly go there because that matched the description they were given.

So yeah, I think wasps can give directions and even describe objects/settings.

Wasps are really cool and I'm sad that so many people are frightened of them for dumb reasons

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

My best chum is kind to wasps and I always thought of it as an eccentricity (being kind to mosquitos though, that's madness). Now I wonder if he's onto something.

Mosquitoes can gently caress right off

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jmcrofts posted:

Most people are afraid of them (and scorpions, snakes, etc) because we have literally evolved to be.

That's actually not true. All of those bog groups of animals aren't consistently dangerous enough or present in early human habitats to have become an ingrained phobia. There was a study back in 2001 that claimed the fears were evolved but it was debunked. Those fears are 100% cultural and learned.

E: there are a lot of societies where a fear of snakes or spiders or w/e just aren't present or common at all, because they don't have a cultural tradition of fearing and demonizing those animals.

E: Exposure therapy can overcome most fears like arachnaphobia in about 4 hours.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 21, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pharmaskittle posted:

I lived in a lovely apartment where a wall panel in the shower was gradually coming unglued. One day, it finally fell in on me while I was showering and revealed a civilization of ants beneath. I hastily nailed it back onto the wall, pretending to be the bad guy from cask of amontillado and for the few months left on my lease just pretended they weren't there.

For the love of God, Pharmaskittle!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

His Divine Shadow posted:

Insects are just a bug, not a feature.

Mozi posted:

Insects v.1.1 patch notes: Bug fixes and performance improvements

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Seeing how bad we are at selectively eliminating species and how bad we are at predicting the effects of our actions on the biosphere I'm calling bullshit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Krinkle posted:

I've never been stung by a live bee. Only dead bees floating in pools.

I have never been stung or bit by a wild animal or insect besides mosquitos

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Decrepus posted:

Also kill all spiders and increase the bat, bird, and frog populations please.

Spiders are perfect and each one is my friend and yours.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

VectorSigma posted:

Mosquitoes are a goddamn keystone species. It sucks for us but it's a fact. Considering how many food chains they are part of, that's one domino I'd be wary of tipping.

They are also really important pollinators

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Loving the posts about intelligent crows.

Have one

http://i.imgur.com/8RyLHjS.gifv

Those are magpies

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Hyperlynx posted:

Bullshit. Prove it. Link your sources if you're going to make such outrageous claims.

Australian capitalism is really awful

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Phanatic posted:

I was more thinking of single carriageways which have 60mph speed limits, even if they're twisty country roads that nobody goes that fast on. In the US roads like that might have speed limits as low as 35 or even 25mph, it's ridiculous.

You know that the UK uses kilometers right

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Wow, that's really stupid.

FWIW I mentioned it because of the old "American goes to Canada, speeds like a madman" joke

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

JB50 posted:

Whats the yearly blood money?

Probably for the FEMA Death Camps

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ranbo das posted:

I mean your explanation just means you can equate any number with any other number, doesn't it? because if 0.999... = 1 then clearly there's a number on the other side the same distance away that is exactly equal to 0.999... and a number next to that etc and before long you have literally every number equal to literally every number.

e: yes I know that 0.999...=1

Nope

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
There's a video showing the pigeons flying out somewhere. It's not just a continuous bird murder machine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't think the lack of shoes really matters, as I'm not sure if there are any shoes made that will stop an axe blow. Even steel toes can crumple under the force of an axe blade, not to mention the steel toe causing an axe to glance off and just injure another part of the foot.

Strel toes are often the difference between getting a gash on you foot and losing several toes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Yeah, I read that Peter Theil and other rich weirdos do that. My understanding was that it really doesn't work in humans or that the effects in the mice were exaggerated.

Want to, which I don't mind because IIRC a bunch of those mice died shortly after from stuff like brain aneurysms.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Power Bottom posted:

Who needs bridges?

Who took a video of me walking downhill?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

C.M. Kruger posted:

Every time the 11 foot 8 bridge comes up, without fail somebody always tries to drive under it with a truckload full of "why don't they just do XYZ?!" posts and Australian water stop-signs.

What if the truckload of posts tries to cross under an 11 ft 8 thread?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Also make sure you can actually legally own one in your province orstate

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
New Action Park seems like it was designed as a Saw-style murder trap from the get-go, instead of just because of negligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Wasabi the J posted:

WHOA. Next you'll be tellin' me Red Green doesn't actually hobble poo poo together with duct tape and baling twine!

That's bullshit!