Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/jgctOms.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TotalLossBrain posted:

They should be under fume hoods for soldering. Lady in the green shirt is terribly under-dressed for the job.
I don't see ground planes and/or wrist straps.

5/10

Worker cannot see or operate controls from this angle.

Featureless white voids are disorienting, hindering evacuation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DemeaninDemon posted:

Fun bit: msha does mines as well as rock quarries. Anytime something comes out of the ground really.

Not oil and gas, AFAIK.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

My Q-Face posted:

They said reporter narrowly avoids getting out of the way. They didn't say anything about "cameraman gets hit by car!" Welcome to LA!

The tripod gets hit, not necessarily the cameraman.

It’s a perfectly steady shot, and then after the hit the camera rocks back and bounces a little. Tripod.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Another successful CAPS deployment.

Thanks, Cirrus!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh hey they really did walk away from it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

calvus posted:

Is that real? Why don't more people do that?

Do what? Attach parachutes to their æroplanes? Because it can only be done on certain small planes and it’s not magic. It won’t save you from everything and it has drawbacks like significantly cutting into passenger/cargo/fuel weight.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/tWgtbBV.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Robot Lincoln posted:

copyrights and patents on drugs exist and are honored only while you have the ability to make them, so Ameridose would buy up all of a raw ingredient necessary to make a drug sold solely by another manufacturer, and when that other manufacturer's production lines shut down anyone with the ability to make the drug can now legally set their own price to sell it. For example, after buying all of the raw stock to manufacture the cancer drug Ondansitron, we are suddenly allowed to sell the 12¢ syringes for $15 a pop until the licensed manufacturer is able to again, pumping out 60,000 units a day that the hospitals gladly bought in a panic because of the perceived shortage in the market. They're hospitals, they can afford it.

That’s one of the shadiest and most underhanded tactics I’ve ever heard of.

I wish I’d thought of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Robot Lincoln posted:

It's basically the same as playing the futures market, just with a much more significant chance of winning big since drug prices are so overinflated.

It’s cornering the market, except that the corner kills two birds with one stone by shutting down the patents.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIUJWIT9GrU

“This is the 2.5‐kilowatt version […] This is sold for heating your baby’s bath.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dillbag posted:

Hanford is a whole thread full of OSHA.txt. My uncle and aunt have lived in Richland since the 70's. Fortunately they arrived after the plant stopped releasing radioactive iodine into the atmosphere just for fun. Lots of the locals who were around in those days have scars on their necks from thyroid surgery. They call them "Hanford Necklaces".

Good times.

e: Now I want to buy BLOPS II just so I can shoot some zombies in a faithful recreation of the Hanford Site.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eight-Six posted:

OSHA thread help: there was this one radiation incident that involved a worker bypassing a ridiculous number of safety procedures including an open pit and pressure plates in order to get deeper into a radioactive area, and he was eventually exposed to a rack of radioactive stuff that was supposed to be behind a sheet or grate or something. Does anyone remember the name of this incident?

Sounds like the incidents at Nesvizh, Belarus and Soreq, Israel, probably the first because it’s the one with the open pit.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 15, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Wes @grizkid is seen here crawling into a unusually deep and narrow 70 foot den in order to sedate and re-collar a 320lb male black bear around Bryce Canyon National Park. It was one of the most claustrophobic and scary situations of my life. Wes disappeared into the den of this hibernating bear armed with only a short aluminum pole attached to a tranquilizer dart. The tunnel was only as big as the bear with no escape except a very quick 50 foot backwards crawl should he decide to charge.
Wes, 31, is a masters student at Brigham Young University who is currently doing his thesis research on black bear (Ursus Americanus) populations around Bryce Canyon National Park.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

My Q-Face posted:

The 1970s was the best time for military training films, I swear.

Civilian, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rx57jVGfso

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sylink posted:

OSHA: Whats the terminal velocity of an unladen bolt down an elevator shaft?

Metric or ANSI?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/lG3fqdk.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Aramoro posted:

It was in the legs of oil rigs, you can row little boats about inside them for checking on stuff. Sounded fun.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

simplyhorribul posted:

A type of OSHA question; we had some labs at school about gamma radiation and I found out the piece of safety procedures of neutron source, which really made me squirm. However I tried to google about that later and couldn't find any non-jargon explonation why so hefty procedures. Obviously I understand not to arse with any poo poo that has some form of radiation, but they included looking at the neutron source with mirror instead of straight due the radiation. Why are the eyes such vulnerable organs for it? I mean there wasn't absolutely no other special safety procedures for the neutron sources except this.

(Somehow I assume the casing for the source is build so that it emits most of the things you would get bombarded on your body sans the eyes of course. Or we have lovely labs at school. :v: )

I don’t think that it’s about your eyes, specifically.

If you’re looking at the source through a mirror, your entire body is out of the radiation’s path. Your eyes are safe, and so is the rest of your face and anything else the ray grazes. You can only bit hit by particles that the mirror reflects, which isn’t much.

It’s like the basilisk from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

satanic splash-back posted:

Did you just suggest the idea of a basilisk originated in a Harry Potter book?

No, but in that book there was a point about looking at the basilisk through a mirror being less dangerous than looking at one directly, which was the entire point of my analogy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
OSHA mandates mirror shields when dealing with Gorgons.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/x8em3tW.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Allegedly his skull was fractured, but he lived.

No word on brain damage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://zippy.gfycat.com/GaseousAcceptableCoral.webm

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcFolCxSM3U

It’s fake.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Almond smell? (self.chemistry)

83 points submitted 1 day ago by CausticQuandry

I am a chemical technician specialized in electroplating. I keep smelling almonds. My first thought was that somehow potassium cyanide was mixed with hydrochloric acid but, asI am not dead yet, I'm guessing that is not it.

Any ideas? I'm worried but my supervisor isn't answering the phone and the next shift of chem techs will not be here for another 4 hours. I am the only person on this side of the plant but we have a few 3rd shift production employees up front.

Should I evacuate everyone or am I overreacting?

quote:

Update to Almond smell. (self.chemistry)

120 points submitted 7 hours ago by CausticQuandry

Update- They found the source of the smell. A second shift tech thought it would be a great April Fools prank to put almond extract on the steam lines to my plating tanks. He is of course fired. I have been commended by our safety director and our CEO.

Thanks everyone who helped me and I thank god it was just a prank, albeit the most humorless and despicable prank I've ever seen.

lol got him good

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/WYVTPqq.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/Fhchxf9.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t know if the camera person is on the job, but I’m going to assume so because :gonk:

http://i.imgur.com/jsXbIjI.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/FlvpAI5.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Conspire to violate federal mine safety standards resulting in the death of 29 people? Get a whole year in jail.

What a victory for safety.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Clearly we need forklifts with active leverage enhancement.

Suction cups, electromagnets, rocket engines—there are a lot of exciting possibilities in this field.

e: Or a turboprop. Surely nothing can go wrong there.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 8, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/uZ9vfEc.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/NUCPrQH.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tbf the survivors probably got money from workman's comp for missing work the next day

The destruction of the towers lead to some interesting legal questions. If the insurance policy has a per‐event cap, does two plane crashes mean two events, or does being part of the same plot make them one event?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Frinkahedron posted:

This isn't really bad at all. Companies like Logitech and Microsoft have spent literal millions developing controllers that are responsive, light weight, and sell for relatively low cost. Why reinvent the wheel? (:haw:)

Serious answer: they’re not fail‐safe. There’s nothing stopping one broken sensor from jamming the machine in “full forward” or some other state you don’t want.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s better than actual arsenic ore:

quote:

Commercial ores contain a maximum of 2 percent As, but ores with a 5–10 percent As content are usually selected for processing; lower-grade ores are enriched by gravitational methods and by flotation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Superior German engineering”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Speaking of the RAF ditching planes, I present FIDO, Fog Investigation and Dispersal Operation:

I love the juxtaposition of the U.K burning moats of petrol at a time when the Nazis struggled to fuel their trucks.

quote:

The device consisted of two pipelines situated along both sides of the runway and through which a fuel (usually the petrol from the airfield's own fuel dump) was pumped along and then out through burner jets positioned at intervals along the pipelines. The vapours were lit from a series of burners, producing walls of flame. The FIDO installation usually stored its fuel in four circular upright tanks built at the edge of the airfield with a low brick bund wall in case of leakage. The tanks were usually encased in ordinary brickwork as protection from bomb splinters or cannon fire.

When fog prevented returning Allied aircraft from locating and seeing their runways to land, they would be diverted to FIDO equipped aerodromes. RAF night bombers which were damaged on their missions were also diverted to FIDO airfields due to the need to make certain they could land when they arrived. When FIDO was needed, the fuel pumps were started to pour flammable liquid into the pipe system and a jeep with a flaming brand lashed to its rear drove fast down both sides of the runway to ignite the fuel at the outlets in the pipes. The burners were sometimes ignited by men on bicycles or by runners on foot. The result was a row of flame along the side of the runway that could be seen for a great distance from the air. The heat from the flames evaporated suspended fog droplets so that the Allied aircraft could have suitable visibility to find the airfield and land. Once landed, the crews would find shelter where they could, and their planes would be refuelled and, if needed, repaired before flying back to their normal bases the next day.

Huge trenches of flame lit by men on bicycles is pretty :black101:, but not as crazy as the pre‐FIDO modus operandi:

quote:

Before the introduction of FIDO, fog had been responsible for losses of a number of aircraft returning from operations. Often large areas of the UK would be simultaneously fog-bound and it was recommended procedure in these situations for the pilot to point the aircraft towards the sea and then, while still over land, for the crew to bail-out by parachute, leaving the aircraft to subsequently crash in the sea. With raids often consisting of several hundred aircraft, this could amount to a large loss of bombers.

“When the whole country was covered in fog they had to ditch the plane and parachute. / Fog problems? Just heat a cubic mile air till it evaporates.” It sounds like the kind of thing Calvin’s dad would make up, but it really happened.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

10 Beers posted:

Pretty much this. I worked at Home Depot for 11 years and drove a forklift for almost the whole time. You get really good at being able to drive backwards with a load. They do make forklifts that can drive sideways with a load, which I alway wished we'd had, but I'm not sure how their performance is.

The ones with Mecanum wheels?