Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

CEASE FIRE BITCH

Congratulations; it’s a range safety officer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpUuym8rS-s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shame on an IGA posted:

Uncontrolled intersections are almost unspeakably rare in the US, even one lane dirt fire roads have stop signs.

Uncontrolled intersections are everywhere even in the U.S..

It’s just that they only exist at the end of things called “driveways”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Burt Sexual posted:

You seem to be unaware of the litigious nature of Americans. There’s warning signs on my two step stepladder

Americans aren’t overly litigious.

That’s a myth promulgated by the monied interests that want so-called tort reform so they can injure workers and the general public through negligence and face no penalties for it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Grey Lady has a better photograph:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

evil_bunnY posted:

lmao that's criminally incompetent.

So are many other aspects of their software.

It’s fractally criminal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe if the trolley runs over enough people it will become enlightened and stop running over people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

klafbang posted:

I am saying that the error is not as obvious as everybody would make it seem.

Hard disagree.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I started a thought with “Uber’s self driving car is more like Nazi ‘science’ than it is to…”

That’s where it ends because I cannot thing of a good example where innocent people had to be sacrificed for the greater good. It largely is a thing that exists only in the imaginations of philosophers and fascists.

That’s a problem for the whole concept.

The closest I can come to a good example is early aviation, but the risks there were mostly borne by consenting pioneers. Anywhere they weren’t it, it should be denounced—ærodromes near population centres, for example.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zedprime posted:

Risk management is inseparable from the calculus of human life improvement. Farms, mines, and factories are operated with the idea that at least a few eggs are going to break to make the society better omelette.

These things are productive industries and they have been from the start.

Uber’s cars weren’t taking the visually impaired to concerts or augmenting human drivers’ reaction times.

What Uber was doing is at best human experimentation, and to be less credulous, they risked lives to boost their stock with no intention of ever having a functional machine.

One experiment that isn’t on Wikipedia’s list is Operation Bongo II. The USAF subjected the people of Oklahoma City to regular sonic booms to see how they would handle it. Not well, it turns out. The experiment ended early and it threw the whole notion of supersonic transit into question.

I see some parallels there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shame on an IGA posted:

Someone had to be helicoptered out of my facility today after a press with two hand pneumatic control actuated uncommanded and ate a hand

Comrade Press made itself accessible for differently‐able workers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bees on Wheat posted:

Hmm yes this looks very safe, indeed. :hmmyes:

Not pictured: the scorched outlet that was somehow like this before someone plugged this in.

That’s the five‐volt side.

It’s more‐or‐less harmless.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gvibes posted:

That's not TOO different from the lovely home depot landscape lighting kit I bought, that just had leads that you punch through the existing cable.

Low voltage at least.

It works for irrigation.

[laugh track]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

usb is 5 volts who gives a poo poo

the real fire hazard is probably that 99 cent made in china switching power supply inside the brick

Yeah and it’s not isolated and it will murder you as happened to that one woman in Australia.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

I don't care how many precautions someone takes, I don't like any youtube channel that makes it look like they are about to kill themselves. At least the electro boom guy is knowledgeable in electricity. The backyard scientist guy always looks like he just found out about something on the internet and now he's trying it with reckless abandon because "lol i f*cking love science"

Backyard Scientist is the heir to King of Random.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pseudorandom posted:

This one seems like a weird "perfect storm" situation. Am I understanding this correctly that, essentially, a bad phone charger resulted in too much voltage (or electricity quantity, because this was my weak area of physics) going through the charger and phone, into her, and then to out through her touching her laptop?

It’s not that weird.

As I understand it root cause of the incident is a short between the hot AC line and the floating USB “ground”. There are design guidelines to keep this from happening, but this charger’s designers never read them or skipped them to save petty change.

With that short existing, it was only a matter of time before she suffered a shock.

The metal earbuds made an unusually dangerous electrical connection. It had more conductivity than a patch of dry skin would, and the position guaranteed that touching ground with anything below the neck would put current across the heart.

She might still have survived if the faulty charger had been plugged into a GFCI.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 12, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trabant posted:

Found on the woodworking subreddit as the machine that ate 3 fingers in its lifetime, which seems far too low imo:

wtf why would anyone even want a blade in that orientation

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DrBouvenstein posted:

Which reminds me, has Cody from Cody's Lab died of mercury or some other heavy metal poisoning yet?

As of Monday, no, because on Monday he was joking about shooting the heavy metal lead at the planet Mercury.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNT9campEhQ

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mineral extraction.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MF_James posted:

That looks like it was so much more effort to setup than walking your overweight rear end up and down the stairs a few times, or, now work with me here, just dropping the logs through the open window/handing them to someone through said window.

Chuck them through the window.

It’s not like the treadmill method isn’t just as violent.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t know what’s quainter, the line shaft at 1:30 or the room full of manual beaters at 2:15.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pseudorandom posted:

Is a 12ft deep hole actually too much pressure for plywood?

The plywood could hold back the pressure, but before the floors are installed, there is essentially bupkis stopping several dozen tonnes of force from making the plywood walls meet like the trash compactor in Star Wars.

The plywood isn’t protecting them. They are solely reliant on the sand’s good graces. If it started behaving like a liquid, they would be squeezed like tomatoes.

Real shoring has horizontal elements to keep the walls of the excavation separated.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s called district heating.

In the U.S. it’s relatively common on university campuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Musk comes from a family of South African emerald tycoons.

You fill in the rest.