Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The only heavy metal I saw in that video was the spilled mercury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

My dad heard this story from my grandpa often enough and he is 100% convinced grandpa was telling the truth...

So, in WWII during the German occupation here in the Netherlands, my grandfather's family was still allowed to farm, because the military needs food and all that (and during a war, it's really nice if you can hide some veggies for yourselves). One day, they saw this British bomb dropper fly over, and it started circling around for a while. After that the pilot found a nice piece of land with no people on it and dropped the bombs there, and flew back.

According to the story, the British Air Force pilot chickened out, and instead of going to Germany, he just spent time flying in circles so that his officers didn't get suspicious and then dropped the bombs wherever.

In any case, this caused quite large craters among my grandpa's crops. Except, there was one less explosion than the number of bombs they saw drop. I'm not sure how they knew this so precisely, but apparently the last bomb dropped into or near a ditch with a steep slanted surface leading into it. So the theory was that it slid into that watery ditch and became covered in mud over time.

A few years ago, my dad sold a part of his land to someone who wanted to build a greenhouse there and on several plots of neighbouring land. My dad told them the story and said it might be safer to have that area of ground checked out before driving the foundation into the soil. So they got a squad there with a metal detector... and found nothing (except for some random steel rod that was unrelated to anything).

So, to my dad, the location of that bomb remains a mystery. To me... I don't think it exists (anymore).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Heh, nitrogen, stuff that's specifically used because it's so loving inert, and people think it's a fire hazard?

I mean yes, everything is flammable with enough fluorine, but :lol:.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/CD4cqgP.gifv

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, the newspaper had a piece today about it being the International Day of Occupational Health and Safety.

It said that here in the Netherlands, most companies have the proper safety equipment. The troubling thing is that they can't seem to get the workers to use it. They don't seem to think it's important. The yearly amount of people suffering a work related accident is apparently relatively high. Apparently managers have no idea how they can convince workers to wear helmets, goggles and steel-toed boots.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't know the german word for forklift is "garbage stapler".

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

simple posted:

I think this goes here.

"Solid laboratory waste". That's not just 'acid', that's where they put all the toxic poo poo-contaminated broken glassware. Would you like to fall into a barrel full of sharp pieces of deadliness?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...athroom-breaks/

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

mostlygray posted:

240V is common on farms and you do need a good multimeter to troubleshoot issues with dryer fans, mills, seed cleaning equipment, etc. It seems like you're always rewiring live cable. You don't have time to find the breaker that could be 100 ft away. You just do it live and make sure that you don't earth. Though you always end up making a mistake.

Yes, 240V hurts like a motherfucker. 110 is like a kiss on the cheek from the love of your life compared to 240. I'd never mess with anything over 240. It's just not worth it unless you're getting paid.

In the USA, regular mains is 110V, which is the phase/neutral difference from a three-phase 230V system, the 230V are only used for huge appliances.

In Europe, regular mains is 230V, the three phase system used for big appliances is 400V. I don't think getting a 400V jolt is fun.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

China Export is just a snappy backcronym. The CE mark only means the manufacturer promises that the product follows European health and safety directives, which is required for sales. It's not protected. Only of you start faking certification numbers you get in trouble.

Nope.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The truck hits the electrical wires, and then the neutral rails start sparking? What is going on here?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

100 rads is 1 gray and neither are directly equal to any number of sieverts without additional information (they measure absorbed dose versus equivalent dose)

edit: to be more specific grays are raw energy absorbed by matter and sieverts have the same units (energy per mass) but are adjusted to better match health effects depending on type of radiation and location of irradiation, etc.

Yeeees..... but the quality factor (the factor that determines how dangerous a certain type of radiation is) for x-rays is 1. That means 700 - 800 mSv of equivalent radiation in x-rays = 700 - 800 mGy of radiation, which is 70-80 rads. Of course, how dangerous this is strongly depends on the timespan in which this dose was received.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX1KeH3CkHs

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/cvtXsSL.mp4
http://i.imgur.com/1eo5Sb4.mp4

E: one more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63jZElXk9HM
"I'm just gonna make some napalm for these wasps"

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 19, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's always good to have a woman who you can make do the heavy lifting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzuykbvgqWA

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Surprisingly, this looks like this might be the safe and OSHA-approved solution for this problem.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Do you ever get a pic where you aren't sure if it should go in this thread or the Schadenfreude one?

The reason these fire fighters are spraying water on the money transport van is because the driver managed to get himself locked up inside the secured part of the van. It's a hot day and that part has no ventilation whatsoever, so they're trying to keep it cool.

The company brought a spare key to get the guy out in time. He's doing "reasonably well, considering the circumstances". The company won't say how he could lock himself up, because of security reasons.

Also, I have no idea why the guy with the hose seems to be wearing just a shirt, instead of the fire fighting uniform.

E: the guys to the left dressed like bees are cops.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 19, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

John Allen, former president of the Philadelphia Toboggan Company: “The ultimate rollercoaster is built when you send out 24 people and they all come back dead. This could be done, you know.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_Coaster

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Guys guys I have an OSHA story.

So the other week we moved to a new office. Then this guy came in and told us what all the knobs on our office chairs are for. He also told us how to set our desk height and what's the most ergonomic position to work in. Then he left, and I moved my chair back into 'lazy as gently caress' mode.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Folks I think y'all are confused. The Schadenfreude thread is over thatta way --> http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3747078&perpage=40&pagenumber=473#pti19

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of planes, KLM ground workers at Schiphol Airport wanted to go on strike because they feel they are underpaid etc etc.

Strikes are a legally protected way of protest in this country, except when one causes a large disruption of society or security. So a judge said that in this case a strike at Schiphol isn't allowed until the end of the tourist season.

The employees/union have now decided instead to follow the regulations to the letter. They'll keep strictly to the maximum speed for driving luggage to the planes. They won't lift heavy pieces of luggage by themselves, but make sure there's the officially required second person around.

Because of this, loading a plane takes like twice as long as usual, causing quite a few delays for travellers.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

mostlygray posted:

Speaking of wire colors, I'm red/green color blind. Green, brown, red, orange all look the same depending on shade and context. Also, blue and purple look the same. I swear that no devices take red/green color blindness into consideration. When your server has an indicator light that says green=good, amber=notification, red=failure, I can't tell the difference at all. It wouldn't be hard to engineer the equipment to take into account the 1 in 10 people that are the same as me.

We use a software development tool called Jenkins at work. Normally its web panel shows a blue 'light' (just a ball icon) for success, and a red one for failure.

There is a plugin for Jenkins that changes the blue icon into a green one because apparently some spergs hate blue.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It says 'Emergency stop'.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Spergatory posted:

RE: color chat, none of you mortals can compare with the mutant superwomen of color vision. Behold, the tetrachromat!

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/02/what-like-see-a-hundred-million-colors.html

This person is just has something going on with her brain.

In real life, a reasonable minority of people do have a fourth cone type - but it's either broken or it works identically to one of the other three. Like, there's a few 'red cone' variations around, but they all work the same.

All these stories about tetrachromacy seem to come from some stupid online test that made stuff up.

However, there ARE more than 3 types of cones that all mutually differ. Most people have just 3 out of this set, which means normal color vision. Having four of them at once is possible... but exceedingly rare, because first of all you need to have 4 of those genes, and then you need to be lucky to not have one of them taking precedence over another.

There are many examples of 'fake tetrachromats', people with 4 cone types of which one is broken, but only one person in the world has been confirmed by science to be an actual tetrachromat. Here's the story.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Today I saw a truck from a company that, according to their site, sells OSHA-related gear such as fire extinguishers, teaches workers about safety, and so on.

Their biggest mystery to me is their logo.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ltkerensky posted:

I see the upper torso of a man legging it. Which is pretty OSHA.

Yeah, it took me a while to parse it like that, probably because the arms are the same thickness as the body and you can't see the part of the arm that is in front (or behind?) the body.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

monkeytennis posted:

Sorry to further the derail but here in the U.K. the odds are firmly stacked against the motorist.

If you trigger a speed camera including the average ones, a Notice of Intended Prosecution is posted to the registered keeper of the vehicle. You have to post this back within 28 days naming who was driving at the time of the offence.

They'll then either:

1. Offer to deal with the offence by way of a fixed penalty of £100 fine and 3 points
2. invite you to a speed awareness or similar course (which costs the same as a speeding fine but you don't get the points)
3. Take you to court if the offence is too serious to be dealt with by way of a fixed penalty.

You can just about forget trying to defend on grounds such as:

1. Can't remember who was driving
2. Was the camera calibrated properly
3. Anything else

They've all been tried and failed over and over again.

So in summary, gently caress cameras.

In the Netherlands you can request evidence. In that case they will send you a copy of the photo, for a fee I think. You can use that to prove you weren't in fact driving through red at that point, or that someone stole your plates and is driving in another car using your plates. If the defense is valid you don't have to pay the fine nor the photo fee.

OTOH, a little while ago a judge here made a town remove a speed cam because it was evident that in that specific location it wouldn't increase safety and would purely be there to give the town extra income.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pySvc17K2jE

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Even knowing there's a load of different systems around the world for grading, it's easy to forget that there are also countries where lower numbers are better grades. A single number without context is useless.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

Some dude thought he was opening the door to the can but it was actually the hyperbaric chamber I was in but I ended up okay because I just held my breath and closed my eyes

Trying to hold your breath during sudden decompression would kill you by exploding your lungs.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Met posted:

Pretty sure they would just implode. Your lips can't hold in that kind of escaping pressure.

Pretty sure science proves you wrong. Plenty has been written on this topic, this is just the first decent article I found with a quick search.

http://www.iflscience.com/space/what-would-happen-your-body-space-without-spacesuit/

Note that the pressure difference between 9 and 1 atm is much more than between 1 and 0, so the effects of explosive decompression from diving pressures tend to be much worse than those from atmospheric pressure to a vacuum.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Meanwhile in China:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzQ_cwqsRPs

What's she doing in the very last second of the video?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

A court document says Walp was driving the load from Reynolds, Nebraska, to Hanover, Kansas, on Aug. 8 when he exchanged texts with his boss. The document says that soon after Walp read that he'd been dismissed, he stopped the truck on Nebraska Highway 8 near Odell, got out and opened the grain trailer's bottom hatch doors.

The document says Walp then drove down the highway, spilling out nearly 1,000 bushels of corn — nearly $3,100 worth.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxbjZiKAZP4

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

uXs posted:

This does look dangerous and not really what it was designed for. On the other hand, it's totally within weight limits and apparently fully programmed beforehand so they could test it before someone actually got on?

So on the whole looks quite a lot safer than a whole lot of jury rigged contraptions I've seen here.

(Should probably wear a helmet though.)

Someone I know who works with industrial robots - he's a goon btw but he's even worse at posting than me - said a robot like that can change direction fast enough to give the rider a concussion.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I died at the loving scream at 1:20.

Origin of the screams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzm8TgS2vZk

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Whoever uploaded the following image wrote:

Taking the OSHA 30 course and the test questions are a lesson in semantics rather than checks for learning. Example:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

24-yo Svetlana Roslina died in a candy factory near Moscow after falling in a vat of melted chocolate.

You might think she drowned. Nope, she was minced by the mixer machinery. Supposedly only her legs remained.