Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My favorite part is that all of them (even the little girl) realize what's about to happen and run....except for that one chick, who has to turn a full 360 degrees wondering where everyone's gone before following them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hot Karl Marx posted:

i get to drive our yards big diesel powered forklift around the yard with no real formal training. I'm also an operator so I'm expected to know how to use it. I don't really use it much unless we need to load a skid of bentonite (sorta as hazardous as asbestos, silicate crystals) or lifting big reamers out the back of our chase truck.

fork lift drivers that work in factories and poo poo though are crazy. i know they want maximum productivity but most of the time I see them theyre in such a god drat rush its probably dangerous

Yeah, at the training institute I work at our books on overhead cranes and forklifts emphasize that one of the reasons they're so dangerous is because their simplicity encourages business owners to put untrained or informally trained operators ("Just hit this lever to hoist it up, call me if you can't figure it out" on his first day of work) to work on the machines, and then inevitably the completely clueless forklift driver or crane operator gets the blame when they drop something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mostlygray posted:

This is very true. The first time I drove a forklift, I got my rear end handed to me when I had the forks too high. Staplerfahrer Klaus is probably the best training video of all time.

My un-asked advise follows:

Forks as low as possible.
Sound your horn when crossing a blind entrance or any time you go between rows.
Operate in reverse whenever possible (you need visibility when you have a skid on)
If you have a cage, wear your seat belt and brace if you tip. If you don't have a cage, never wear your seat belt and make sure to jump.
Know where you are and your load limits. You can tip if you're heavy and high.
Never, ever, ever leave a knife or any detritus on top of a skid.
Slow the gently caress down. You're not trying to beat any speed records and tipping a pallet makes everything worse.
Plug if you can. Avoid using the brakes. Plugging saves you time on the charger if it's electric and the stop is smoother.
Tip back to secure the load as long as it's not unstable..
Look at the pallets before you lift the skid. Sometimes they are so bad that they come apart. Especially the chipboard ones. If they do, pick them up, bash out all the supports, put a good pallet upside-down underneath it, set it down in the cutouts, and then pick it up again the right way.
If your vendor loads using slip sheets, curse them and then get your biggest guys to help with the lifting and loading.

I should grab a copy of our forklift training book at work this week and see what's in it that's relevant to the thread.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Workers in China shut down an elevator without checking to see if it was empty first, resulting in them finding a corpse when they came back a month later.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We've been known to show this in our forklift class at work.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ok class, I'd like you all to watch this gif and tell me what klaus did wrong

Oh no, they watch the whole video.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dienes posted:

I can't get over his complete and total calm during the entire thing.

I think only someone as calm as him could ever hope to keep that job anyway.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Say Nothing posted:

Homemade log splitter. there's a lot of these on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMsObwqD788

It looks like the "right" way to use this is to shove it and hold it as hard as you can so the blade splits the log instead of whacking it away. Which means using it without hurting yourself is entirely contingent on the speed of the blade being sufficient, because gently caress leaning into the spinning blade to force it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Reading the NIOSH FACE database, they have an entire section for agricultural work and a separate section for underage children being the casualties. As you can expect, those two have an incredible amount of overlap. It seems very common for kids to be entrusted with obscene amounts of responsibility with little to no training, from riding a truck or cart out to the blueberry fields to help pick before they're 10 (surprise, kids don't have great balance and love to fall out of moving vehicles) to being told to drive a skid-steer loader or tractor at the same age (and running over their little brother on the way).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

calvus posted:

Pointing it over your head seems like a bad idea

It absolutely is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9DkciMTsLI&t=73s

That feel when you have to blow on your flamethrower because it's on fire.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think even a penny has a terminal velocity in the 30 to 50 MPH range.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, 1 joule is the energy of a relatively low-velocity airsoft gun (like firing a 0.20 gram BB at less than 300 FPS). However, the difference in raw energy still doesn't necessarily mean that being hit by a paintball is more damaging. The larger surface area of the paintball and tendency to break apart on impact deprives it of a lot of potential damage, which is why you come out with welts and bruises but nothing else. On the other hand, airsoft BBs are very small projectiles typically fired at a much higher velocity than paintball guns and rarely break even upon hitting a hard surface, so they love to open up bloody holes in skin or even get stuck at close range.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Karma Monkey posted:

:barf: I really appreciate the CGI reenactments. I like how they showed a coworker calmly tapping the giant emergency stop button with one finger after a guy fell in the meat grinder. I'm pretty sure it would've been a panicked open-palmed slap, but whatevs. Also, hey dumb waiters! Stay out of the dumbwaiter! I stopped watching after the wood chipper.

Tomo News is pretty hilarious because they make cheap CG reenactments of so goddamn many stories that they cover. They've done some stories covering self-defense with guns and they've got the same creepy 3D models, sometimes carrying weird sci-fi guns instead of recreations of the real thing, and always with bad "overacting" by the models.

Edit: One thing I will say is that I appreciate being able to see the scale of some of this stuff. I knew about the Bumblebee Tuna incident, but I didn't realize how loving huge those pressure cookers were.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 22, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Raygereio posted:

The hard hat's helmet is suspended above the skull.

The suspension & extra space is supposed to spread the force of any impact around and make sure it isn't directly transmitted to your skull. The penetration doesn't look that deep, so hopefully it was indeed an OSHA succes story and someone got very lucky.

There's a YouTube video of some guys testing out various bladed and spiked weapons against a motorcycle helmet to see if they can cause fatal brain damage to a fake head inside. Motorcycle helmets are loving tough. Almost everything just bounced off barely scuffing the paint job, but the one or two times a spiked weapon like a war hammer penetrates, the helmet is so thick and multi-layered that it never even breaches the inside of the helmet to scratch the head of the guy wearing it.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 23, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not cool enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPS2l5fQ55A

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Colossal has an Oscar-winning documentary from 1958 on their site, and it's a really awesome 10-minute watch in addition to being a bit of a treasure trove of OSHA moments, such as this one:

I think my favorite part was making the handles on mugs, how they just let the hot glass fall over and use a rod to gently guide it into making the right shape.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

calvus posted:

I like how more than one person thought this was a good idea

Son, let me introduce you to FPSRussia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT44eYyArS4

The first scene isn't acting. The cameraman really did get a serious injury from a flying fridge piece.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

calvus posted:

How is any of that legal?

Apparently he actually does most/all of his videos with police and EMT supervision that you can't see. His personal gun collection is actually far smaller than the array he shows off in his videos; he just rents stuff (or in the case of the AA-12 is given the chance to demonstrate a pre-production prototype). He lost some clout when his manager got murdered because the ATF immediately suspected him and shut down filming for an investigation, but they determined that nothing illegal was going on and his channel is back up.

Along with what others have said, he started out on YouTube as FPSKyle doing Call of Duty multiplayer videos before he got the idea to make up the Dmitri character for gun videos.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ddiddles posted:

I work for a firearms manufacturer and we go to Shot Show every year (e3 for guns).

Our photographer met him, and said he was an incredible douche. He walked up to our booth, asked for about $10,000 worth of free poo poo, and then just silently left when we told him no.

Oh yeah, this was after our marketing director thought it was a great idea to give him $15,000 in free guns to feature on his channel about 2 years ago, which ended up being shown for about 10 seconds in some completely unrelated video.

I talked to this guy once and he confirmed that FPSRussia is a giant rear end in a top hat. He actually received a lifetime ban from a range in Florida that GY6vids uses because he blew up a trailer and then just packed up his film crew and left without even attempting to clean up the mess.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jsoh posted:

you can see in the picture that dudes wearing a fall arrest harness and is tied off, and i would bet he has a radio and a man on the ground whos entire job is to watch him anyway. I've been up like 200 feet in a manbasket on a crane and i can tell you that they shake a whole lot if you take two steps so that thing would be bouncy as gently caress.

I think I'd rather have a parachute than a harness at that height.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tangentially related, my company is having a meeting this week and we've got a very high ranking OSHA representative speaking to us via WebEx or a phone about the new crane operator training ruling. Turns out the guy who's supposed to be speaking doesn't even know for sure if he is because nobody is telling anyone anything!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thankfully, we've harnessed pressurized water for jetpacks anyways!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiE58Ri5axQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Bm3cs9TFo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You know what? gently caress everything. Let's throw explosives into spinning blades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO8mCv_-zB8

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

wdarkk posted:

Huh. When I saw the gif I wondered what started it, but I assumed it was a spark.

It's hard to notice, but there's a bit of fire from the second can. Just not enough to ignite the whole cloud.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hot Karl Marx posted:

ummmm what happens if the wrecking ball gets stuck in the building? I hope there's a quick release or something made to break before the helicopter does

In an emergency, the helicopter can also double as a wrecking ball.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That reminds me, a while ago the discussion involved forklifts and how far the forks should be raised while driving. I said I was going to pull out my training institute's publication on forklifts, but I forgot. I'll grab a copy right now while I'm still at work.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The book advises to keep the forks as low as possible to keep the center of gravity low (avoiding tipping), but to check the driving area for hazards and uneven ground before driving as well as driving in reverse whenever the load is blocking your view.

Some fun statistics!

Non-operator deaths by forklift
* Struck by load: 37%
* Struck by truck: 31%
* Caught in between: 18%
* Fall from forks: 10%
* Overturn: 4%

Operator deaths by forklift
* Overturn: 49%
* Fall: 15%
* Caught in between: 15%
* Struck by load: 11%
* Electrocution, fires, explosions, collisions: 8%
* Struck by truck: 2%

I think "struck by load" is exclusively or almost exclusively unsecured loads falling off the forks. I'm wondering why "struck by truck" and "collision" are separate for operators, though. Maybe the former are impaled by the forks of an incoming vehicle?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Three-Phase posted:

I saw one even bigger than that moving an electric motor that weighed around 30,000lbs (rotor and stator). Some of those are freaky-huge.

These riggers are amazing, you can make incredibly large, heavy objects (like motors, transformers, generators) and they are the people who can move them around, sometimes using fairly simply machines and equipment too. I'm sure if you looked at their DNA going far back enough they were the guys putting together the Pyramids and Stonehenge.

I was reading our forklifts book about how heavy the vehicles are compared to their rated loads. Typical warehouse forklifts look tiny, but they're loving massive in terms of weight because the small sizes necessary to let them maneuver in such cramped spaces eliminates the leverage a longer vehicle with a counterweight at the back would give them. Like a typical industrial forklift (the thing everyone pictures in their head when they hear "forklift") likely weighs over 19,000 pounds but is rated to carry only about 5,000, acting as its own counterweight. Which is also why you sure as hell don't want to end up under one of them if it tips: it may look tiny and fragile, but it'll crush your ribcage without even noticing it's there if you fall out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

The destruction of the towers lead to some interesting legal questions. If the insurance policy has a per‐event cap, does two plane crashes mean two events, or does being part of the same plot make them one event?

I'll look it up, but apparently the owner of the property actually had that exact fight to try and get his insurance payout. He still got far less than what the towers were worth.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sandoz posted:

Yeah we built some boats for USCG that were worth millions of dollars each, with a military-grade FLIR system that costs tens of thousands of dollars, completely operated by a $10 logitech PS2 knockoff controller. There was a double-sided cheat sheet with about 80 different button combinations for various functions. At least the gyro-stabilized remote gun mount had some sort of proprietary controller, looked a bit like a Steel Battalion setup.

There's plenty of pictures of the US military controlling bomb defusal robots with Xbox 360 or PS3 controllers. I do feel bad for the guys who got stuck with a Mad Catz or something instead of a legit controller, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JFairfax posted:

using video game controllers makes the drone operators feel like it's just like the video games they played growing up so it's easier for them to dehumanise the enemies on screen and send missiles crashing into wedding parties or gun down fleeing children

Yeah, it's not exactly working. Not only are drone operators still fully aware that they're killing people, the thermal cameras give them an amazing view of all the death and suffering that you normally have to walk up close to see after spending hours or days monitoring a target and learning their routine and life to make sure they can make a good strike. The resolution of the cameras also means that they're always stressing about "Oh poo poo, did I blow up an innocent civilian carrying a shovel instead of a guy with an RPG?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's a good rule to require each and every container of inflammable poo poo to be signed in a permanent manner by the guy who takes it out of storage. Of course it will probably take a police investigation and subsequent conviction for (the other) painters to realize that a signature actually means something.

My office struggled to even get a sign-out sheet for non-dangerous electronics made. It wasn't that anyone thought it was unnecessary. They just....never bothered? It never occurred to them?

Of course, the co-owner fell into one of her usual blind panics and attempted to suggest in turn that the office DSLRs and audio recorders be kept under strict lock and key with only one person being authorized to remove them for anything and everything, including her own impulsive "Why don't we just take some pictures of this unusual student in the classroom right now before they leave?" decisions. I put the kibosh on that one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was at an airsoft game on Saturday and some errant smoke grenade throw set a building on fire. They put it out by having a staff member stand on the roof of a utility vehicle (like a Yamaha Rhino or something) and just spray the corner of the roof directly with an extinguisher.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mostlygray posted:

To be pedantic, it's a "stand-up rider". Because it is powered, one would usually still call it a "fork truck" but not a "fork lift"

My institute just considers them "low-lift trucks" or something like that and teaches them as one of several varieties of forklift, along with rough-terrain forklifts (both vertical mast and boom-mounted lifts) and "industrial" forklifts, which are what most people picture when told to think of a forklift.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This was pretty great, but the third loader coming in for backup makes it brilliant.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

genesplicer posted:

This needs the classic Star Trek combat song.

Got you covered.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AzureSkys posted:

What about munition storage facilities or manufacturing plants? I know it's quite archaic, but I'm thinking of the movie Sorcerer where dynamite that didn't get rotated correctly or something became super unstable and exploded at the slightest glance.

I guess that could apply to any sort of chemical storage facility that if left on it's own without "stirring" or something similar could become a big danger, so would that be any kind of potential problem?

edit:
This made me think of compost piles, too, and remember how someone tested food cooking in a one. Forgot where that was at, though.

With dynamite, the problem is that dynamite is basically just nitroglycerin (the infamous super-sensitive liquid explosive) soaked into something like diatomaceous earth or clay to make it more stable. Over time and in poor storage conditions, dynamite will "sweat" the nitro out onto the surface, making it very unstable and shock-sensitive.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Universal Orlando recently added metal detectors to Rip Ride Rockit (can't remember if they're also at Dragon Challenge or will be added to the Hulk when it reopens). Part of the reason is that the Rockit has two major danger areas: a straight vertical lift hill (where loose change just loves falling out of pockets and beaning the people behind you) and the "crowd surf" where the coaster goes straight over the queue while tilting nearly 90 degrees. There's been at least one instance of a phone whipping out of someone's pocket and crashing into an empty part of the queue on that part.

It used to be worse. After the on-ride photo, the train curves up and loops around with the car tilted completely sideways. This section was notorious for phones that didn't fall out on the lift hill or non-inverting loop (the coaster starts into a traditional loop but does a helix so the train isn't inverted at the top) launching into the sky here and smashing into a backstage area. It took a surprisingly long time for Universal to put up a net to catch flying phones, so for a while team members were just told not to walk in this one spot where the ballistic arc would take personal objects.

Speaking of Universal coasters and their problems, they eliminated the famous dueling part of the Dueling Dragons (now Dragon Challenge) a few years ago, widely regarded as the most unique and cool part of the ride. It was two separate "dragons", Fire and Ice, and they would launch simultaneously and engage in choreographed inversions and near-misses to resemble two dragons in a fight. Over the course of about a month, there were two separate instances during the most thrilling segment (the two trains come straight at each other and pull up into loops just before impact) where people in the front row were sprayed with some kind of debris. One person lost an eye from it. I don't think anything conclusive was found as to the cause, but Universal panicked and has so far permanently launched the trains out of synch to prevent any more dueling.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dillbag posted:

All this talk about amusement parks and no mention of Action Park?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY-xgS7K3Xc

Action Park is loving amazing from an OSHA standpoint, and I'm a little disappointed I never got to experience it in its heyday. Supposedly the current incarnation is still kinda dangerous compared to the competition, even if it's not as much of a bloodbath as the 1980s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Locator posted:

Fire them when they refuse. It's not rocket science.

Well, then you'd slow down your project because of the need to replace fired workers. And that gets you yelled at by the bigger bosses.