Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Could you imagine if OSHA like regulated prostitution... All busting people for trying to make condoms out of Werther's wrappers and saran wrap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Lady Demelza posted:

I have been at a sporting event where the organisers had arranged for an ambulance to be on-site. The organiser refused to let the ambulance leave the event to take a player to hospital, using the technically-faultless reasoning that they had paid for an ambluance to be on site, and that if it left, they weren't getting what they'd paid for.

this makes sense though, they're really paying to have EMTs on hand; if the emergency was so severe that life or death hung on them getting to the hospital immediately they can take them but otherwise the medics can stabilize whatever issue is occurring on site and then transfer to another ambulance to go to the hospital if that is needed. Otherwise, when they left to go to the hospital the entire time they were on that trip the event would have to halt because they would be without a medic team. So really, I guess you'd want at least 2 ambulances on site or like an ambulance and an EMT suv

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

My nuclear waste disposal plan is foolproof and relies on simple human nature...
Mix it up with a little soil and then stick a big sign saying
"Free backfill*

*use at own risk
"
There you go, itll be off your hands before you can say "free" and you just covered your own rear end too ;)

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

There's a lot of history behind using fats for making explosives

(edit: so you can enjoy a tiny bit of old-timey racism too)

John Denver Hoxha fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 10, 2016

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

why not both? there are thousands of *small businesses* out there doing the exact same thing, maybe this will get some other people to speak up and it's a lot harder to silence this way than if you just file an anonymous report to get lost in bureaucratic shuffle. It seems like this got the authorities' attention too.
I would not want to work in an industrial setting with people I pissed off by reporting (word could get back somehow who was the squeaky wheel), there is precedent for "accidents" happening to those kind of people

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

zedprime posted:

Publishing photo or video of work activities or company assets without approval is against most boilerplate company policies and is grounds for dismissal. So if you're OK giving up what little employment protections you already have like losing out on unemployment benefits or wrongful dismissal protection, feel free to blow the whistle on YouTube or liveleaks instead of working with agencies or journalists who can both focus on the whistleblowing without sticking your rear end in the wind.

I wouldn't want to be involved with those people in any way at all, I would also post the video as a gently caress you as I go out the door instead of having to deal with any formal process or putting my name on any forms, I hate paperwork and dealing with bureaucrats (and if it went viral and I made a name for myself that's just a bonus). Why are you all taking issue with this guy at all, he just blew the whistle in about the most blatant way possible (more than a million views and I've seen people I know who I wouldn't picture browsing the EPA's reports on illegal dumping activities or some small town newspaper's report on illegal business practices post it on facebook) and drew attention to a very common issue.

John Denver Hoxha fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 25, 2016

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

like I can see the value of going to those people are for when places cut corners maybe (and you can call them on it in a safe way) when a company is being this blatantly awful and just flaunting every the very idea of environmental protection, I think it's a perfectly reasonable case to just like post a video of you doing the shoulder shrug and basically saying "hey yeah, these assholes really have the gall to force people to literally dump barrels of contaminants in the desert like some scene from a movie or poo poo, sorry about this" but yeah maybe that's not the beep boop logical path

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

it's like a cartoon.... it even waited for him to look down to start falling

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

hey, at least it's keeping him awake so he doesn't veer into the lane and impale somebody

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

A Man With A Plan posted:

I'm no construction worker but this seems like a bad idea

reminds me of those wwi tank videos

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

gently caress you, i won't do what ya tell me

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

And there is some level of basic services, even if incredibly dangerous (so maybe Flint?)

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's called a work-to-rule and is a loving devastating weapon in the arsenal of a union in the right industry.

i've heard that a work-to-rule is a little different, as in a worker does not do any job or put in any effort that the handbook for their job does not require (ie refusing to do unpaid overtime or skip a break or answer emails off clock) and one where workers refuse to engage in the technical violations of safety rules that become expected parts of operating efficiency on an unsafe job site is a rule-book slowdown. so basically one is striking back at a company walking on the worker's right to compensation for their time to finish a job cheaply, the other is striking back at a company that is walking on safety to finish one quickly [and also cheaply]

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

It still falls within the definition of work to rules, they're usually both done at the same time.

obviously they're closely related and sometimes both would get used, but I think that really varies by industry and company, yeah a lot of places will bend both safety rules and HR rules (and especially civil services), but in a lot of instances at least one will be followed (IE some small-scale production shops run to a painstaking safety standard but slightly lackadaisical HR will constantly pressure their workers stay after informally, then some shops that are run in a roughshod get it done quickly manner,or like some pissant forgotten sub-sub-subsidiary shop of a larger corporation may let workers take extra smoke breaks and compensate their employees fairly, or they could have additional expected duties from the employee included formally in the contract). like legitimate union action is just cool, idk.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Also old (and I assume many new as well) lantern mantles contain Thorium

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Pulling into the Station, I see

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Post poste posted:

It's John Darksouls.

quit lying. its percival, duke of nukem

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

with all the improvements in armament technology and bombers and artillery, sometimes the most horrifying thing to think about from the world war was the simple ways that you could die without even expecting it.

Like it's grim when you see the (brilliant, simple) wire cutters added on the fronts of jeeps, but then you think of why they put it on... oof, just to be riding along a quite road with your windshield down and then whack
(and the danger is relevant, always have to know any trail you intend to speed down)

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Isn't that the same guy that did the 'mining' for platinum along the highway with a dust pan (because of the microscopic amount everybody's cat converter puts out adding up over time)

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

PhotoKirk posted:

Clifford Stoll from The Cuckoo's Egg? The guy who accidentally discovered an international spy ring hacking US government computers way back before the Internet was a thing?

The very same

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Bud K ninja sword posted:

lets just say i am working from home, and some motherfuckers are about to get one loving serious safety class..

Dammit! I tried warning them about the li-ion powered retard masturbators being a horrible idea that was just asking for trouble, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

The Pi dude posted:

Underwater you have to weave them.
Yeah, dad, tell me how useless this degree with an underwater basket weaving major is NOW....