Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Mak0rz posted:

I'm sure it could be a good bludgeoning weapon though. The hole would reduce air resistance! Except it was designed for use in trench warfare where people didn't exactly beat each other with clubs.

they didn't know that yet, every military was assuming that you had to take the trenches by hand once you crossed no mans land, thats why pretty much every side had a variety of melee weapons in procurement or deployment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

azurite posted:

Uh, depends. How much stuff is in this shopping cart and how fast is it going?

assume its a frictionless vacuum and its full of 30kg turds at 120 km/h

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

https://twitter.com/CursedArchitect/status/1049073430295789568

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Meanwhile, digging thru old photos, and found this delight from cleaning out my grandpa's workshop.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Let’s all be honest, we all know it was toxic and/or carcinogenic we just want to know exactly how toxic and/or carcinogenic

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

thats probably why scrooge mcduck is scottish

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I cant imagine another person I would be this ambivalent about regarding this tattoo

its his job, he's a public nerd who does hands on poo poo, this is extremely on brand

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Vanagoon posted:

If I didn't learn how to fix machines I was going nowhere.

its still like that but with much lower education budgets and virtually 0 after school programs

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I clearly have a broken brain because all I can think is "jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams but this sucker'll cut right through em"

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

well i know who i'm voting for in 2020

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

:magical:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

mostlygray posted:

I have no idea what you just said but:

Respect. (insert fist out for a well deserved fist bump. Might be even worth a "lock it up")

Is that where you insert your fists in one another’s anuses and lock together as a single dumbshit troop

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Jerry Cotton posted:

So why don't they use it in the USA :confused:

reported for attempted politics in gbs

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

moist turtleneck posted:

I wouldn't mind that logsplitter as much if he used roller stands or something to push the wood in there

how are you going to feel the sweet release of death with something like that?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

:chloe:
I ain't some kind of manchild.

get a job you bum

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

RandomPauI posted:

This feels OSHA-adjacent.

https://youtu.be/uA57xOX3AvA

I don't know why he made a gyroscopic ax, what sort of mechanical advantage it offers, but I appreciate it.

It appears that he's utilizing rotational inertia to more easily raise such a heavy ax, and upon immobilizing the gyroscopic element gravity takes over

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

PittTheElder posted:

That is indeed it. Still, I can't understand why he did this. That axe would have been very easy to lift had he not attached a bunch of extra weight to it, and he still would have had all the ASMR bits just from the refinishing.

F = MA

F = (G)(m1)(m2)/r2

In this case, Bigger M = Bigger F

Someone’s welcome to take these two equations and do my homework here

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

If you can lift that axe with the weight on it, you’d achieve the same thing, but this skinny armed Japanese fella was able to lift it with the help of rotational inertia.

This did not negate the mass of the circular weight but it did some strange things along the distance of the shaft upon which the ax and weight were attached.

The sum of these effects being to aid the lifting of the mass which imparted some potential energy which was converted to kinetic energy when the spinning weight was immobilized and the sum of the masses were dropped to the earth with the aid of gravity

Former DILF fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 15, 2019

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

You’ll notice as he raised the ax he turned a couple of times, which is identical to the behavior of the model gyroscope featured in the video. This is a behavior of rotational inertia which as far as I know has only been utilized in things like Segways or proof-of-concept science toys

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

More like, assuming most of the acceleration is purely gravity,

Ε = mgh (potential energy) = 1/2 mv^2

Note the axe will have the same velocity at impact regardless of weight.

It is momentum, not energy, however, that matters in this physics.

p = mv

https://youtu.be/86TExbEAAhY

So yes, the massive axe will cut better per swing as momentum scales linearly with mass.

Thanks fella I been drinking

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

There is however an effect of the heavy mass as it’s distributed through the shaft:

imagine holding a normal ax by your finger and thumb, letting the ax head hang straight down. Now imagine holding this ax in the same way parallel to the ground.

Which do you think would be more easy?

Former DILF fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 15, 2019

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

yeah physics is pretty cool, the full and explicit diagram of the accelerating mass of the axe head along the path of the arc on a full swing alone is some fun poo poo to dissect, meanwhile this bizarre combination flywheel-ax could be a graduate level mechanics study

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Wasabi the J posted:

The average person believed they would have Jason Bourne like reflexes in some emergency situation.

These people do not observe reality.

guy lived, reactions worked, whats to criticize?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

do you come from a place where swimming pools usually have railings?

i come from a land down under
where women glow and men plunder

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

In my neck of the woods the geese wait at the crosswalks and go with the traffic. We have a lot of hunting here though, so it could be the geese know to mind their business

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

all those moments lost... like sloughed off skin

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Shut up Meg posted:

Article says he only got 'low 6 figures' of settlement

Osha is my eye strain having to read that entire article - are New Yorker writers paid by the word?

actually they don't get paid at all, new yorker writers are all volunteer, do not eat or drink and are primarily sustained by the inhalation of their own farts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

this game of thrones prequel about Brandon the Builder is gonna be great