Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Bum the Sad posted:

The CO2 will make a human realize something is wrong and gtfo.

poo poo e:f,b
That can't be the sole reason - as many accidents show, human aren't very good at noticing dangerous levels of carbon dioxide.
And it would be very easy to odorize nitrogen similarly like natural gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

By the time people notice that they are short of breath the levels are already dangerous, that is why I would prefer an odourant.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Fasdar posted:

What is the chemical that (I assume) displaces oxygen in these?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think it works similar to fluorated Halon extinguishers. Which means it is not displacing oxygen, but it is interrupting the oxidation reaction by raising the the required activation energy. Ideally the chain reaction - spreading fire - is stopped by that.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

flosofl posted:

Who thinks Dutch refers to Denmark? Those are Danes.
Have you never heard about Dutch Denmark? The British call it Dogger Bank.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Werong Bustope posted:

People get maimed and die horribly from making lesser mistakes, these guys don't know how lucky they are.
Update: They finished the death hut, nobody got hurt so far!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AojTrc_UMaM

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Papa Emeritus III posted:

Where do we draw the line between medical privacy and OSHA?

EDIT: Adding the notation of non-narcotic medications in this case. Or anything else that would blatantly cause someone to be blitzed. What I'd been thinking over is, say... someone on Hepatitis C medication. Announcing that you take something like Interferon would admit to having the disease. The cause and effect is your employer firing you(but they wouldn't cite the medical problem as a reason of firing in a right to work state) due to their own safety concerns. --Hypothetically, of course! I could just be over thinking the debate in my head.
The way it's handled here (Austria): The company has a practicioner of occupational medicine go through your medications with you. He'll tell your boss if there are some types of work you can't do for safety or health reasons and is bound by privacy laws to keep everything else to himself.
It's probably not as if your boss is a medical expert anyway.

Default Settings fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 18, 2017

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

This was a lost cause from the time she went to have a poo poo mid-date on.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Cutting a gas cylinder......what could go wrong?

https://imgur.com/gallery/yKS0tnn

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/U1YuTjT.mp4

I don't know anything about the context, but I am concerned.

Default Settings fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 20, 2018

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

That big crowd reminds me of this time I did a tree removal in this dipshit suburb and like, half a dozen people set up lawn chairs across the street and watched. It wasn't that big of a tree and we weren't even doing much rope work.
But isn't that just what we are doing here?

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Why even have interchangeable cartridges in an industrial setting?

It seems to me that cartridges that protect from different hazards should fit in physically incompatible and visually distinct masks.
This. As someone who works with hazardous gases, this is the most OSHA post I've ever read. I'm perched here to write about the impracticalities of this setup, but Platystemon behind his desk only cares about safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Race horses can't be legally sold for meat, anyway. All pumped up with antibiotics and possibly anabolics, can't meet the food standards.