Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Stocky Manhood posted:

I like the goonwife euphemism of "little zaps". Theyre just little, no need to fear

Little zaps is what I call the exposed power supply sitting on my desk.

"I'll just turn little zaps on and see what the system does."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Guyver posted:

I hate to be that guy but I don't see the big deal with the monument slide. It's concave, it's smooth except a few hand holds at the plate joints and it's got a large roof base.

You won't get that high or go that fast. Looks fun.

It looks like a harder version of the pyramid scheme obstacle from Tough Mudder. The Soviet version looks do-able but you've gotta walk up it like a slab and smoothly transition from the ball of one foot to the other while keeping your COG over one foot or the other.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Kinda looks like some conversations I've had at work when we're massively overworked and even our managers were getting pissed off at us. I'm really glad I didn't try to get a job at Boeing. It sounds like it's almost as bad as working at Amazon or Google, but for different reasons.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Looks like bulk liquefaction, which apparently causes container ships to capsize. Basically they're hauling a "solid" load of powder, but there's water in the powder. The water flows to the bottom of the load, and when the moisture content of the bottom reaches a certain critical threshold the "powder" turns into mud and starts flowing around. Because there are no baffles in the truck, any bouncing or movement causes huge waves in the material, which push the truck side-to-side. His load basically rocked the truck clean off the chassis.

Edit: http://bulkcarrierguide.com/cargo-liquefaction.html

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Aramoro posted:

My dad used to be a pipe fab for oil rig construction and one of his abiding memories was someone dropped a scaffolding clips off the side of the rig and it fell 100ft and it clipped a guy on the back of head, shearing the back of his skull off. Wear safety hats.

He's also got lots of OHSA stories about welding guys into pipes who had fallen asleep in them etc. Lots of fun.

I once had someone drop a nailgun on my head from the rafters. Luckily I had my hard hat on so I was able to stand up immediately and cuss him out. Otherwise I would've had to cuss him out when I woke up in the hospital. Always wear a hard hat.

There are some lava caves nearby Mount Saint Helens in Washington, including the Ape Caves which is about 1.5 miles long with zero improvements. I made the mistake of gong through it without putting my helmet on and brained myself a couple times for my trouble. Always wear your hard hat.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Got another hard hat story for you guys. As a software engineer for a parking equipment company I occasionally need to support the equipment by driving out to a garage and don't some troubleshooting. Some of this involves working with the automatic gates. Today I was getting ready to troubleshoot a gate operator when the "safety" loop triggers and the arm drops, whizzing by my head just as I get out of the way.

I'm not gonna forget my hard hat again.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Gasoline smells great because of all the carcinogenic aromatic compounds in it like benzene.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

sharkytm posted:

I'm a big fan of full-brim, it helps keep the sun/rain off your neck. :shrug: different strokes, I guess.

We ran the MSA V-Guard. Plastic, relatively cheap, and I never had one break. I've replaced the suspension when it gets mangled, and upgraded to a better sweat band, but other than that, it's 10-ish years old and aside from stickers and dirt, it's fine. I prefer the Fas-Trac suspension and the terry sweat bands.

Plastic begins to lose its suppleness after years of UV exposure. It would be very surprising if your hard hat still protects your head as well as a new one.

Full-brim hard hats are the poo poo. They make you look like ranger Rick though.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

ATP_Power posted:

It's a thread classic at this point, but the story of the THERAC-25 is well worth revisiting when talking about medical technology gently caress-ups
https://hackaday.com/2015/10/26/killed-by-a-machine-the-therac-25/

THERAC-25 is more of a classic story of how a lack of rigorous and independent testing combined with management cheaping out on a safety interlock under the mistaken belief that software would not have bugs resulted in several people being maimed or killed by a powerful gamma radiation source.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Sagebrush posted:

lol no. americans are such lovely drivers that you have to have reminder signs like that all over the place. i see them at many intersections in san francisco.

To be fair, all it costs to become a driver here in the great US of A is a pulse, a functioning set of arms and legs, vision that's correctable to 20/40, and the ability to pay $50.00 and commit 2 hours of your time to driving around in a circle.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

klafbang posted:

Thanks for jumping to the nazi card. That really stresses I should take your comments seriously.

I am not saying that the testing method is acceptable and that Uber should not be punished. I am saying that the error is not as obvious as everybody would make it seem. It is very easy to point afterwards and saying that people should have caught it. Even if off-the-shelf APIs can follow objects, that does not imply that this also works with feature interactions that have conflicting goals.

This isn't something you can QA into a product. It would have required very careful and tedious analysis of the software design and implementation. Which is stuff that Agile developers don't really do as a rule. But on safety-critical systems it's negligent not to:

1.) Identify all of the paths in your code that can potentially lead to a hazardous condition due to logic errors.
2.) Identify all data that could lead to a hazardous condition if it is out of range or sensed or calculated incorrectly.
3.) Identify hazardous situations that your software could find itself creating, and work backwards through the logic in your code base to determine whether those hazardous situations could concievably occur.

Frankly there is no evidence that Uber ever did this. And the problem with using neural nets and AI to classify objects is that there is no concievable way to establish that those systems function reliably or correctly. Any experienced engineer of a safety-critical software system would have recognized the serious risks involved in feeding the output data from your impossible-to-verify AI classification system into your object detection and object tracking routines.

You cannot test safety or quality back into a piece of software if it was never developed to be safe software in the first place. By the time it makes it to QA if the architecture and design of the software does not adhere to quality or safety standards, no amount of testing will change the architecture or design to be of sufficient quality.

And don't get me started on how negligent it is to hire a safety driver but not provide any methods of ensuring they're paying attention to the road the entire time. Even putting a little "object classification checker" minigame on a tablet or HUD would have been better than what Uber did, which was nothing. The rail industry has had this figured out for decades, and it's also pretty loving negligent to not hire anyone who has experience designing those kinds of systems to design a system to keep the safety driver involved in the monitoring process.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Platystemon posted:

Comrade Press made itself accessible for differently‐able workers.

Comrade Press made itself make some differently-abled workers.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Memento posted:

I hear you've got a little weather in the states right now...

https://twitter.com/theakchi/status/1193908271444303877?s=19

Should have invested in a set of quality winter tires from Discount Tire. If you're not satisfied, you can always return the tire for a full refund!

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Facebook Aunt posted:

You'd be better off putting the roads on raised bridges or tunnels. Pedestrians don't want to walk down into spooky tunnels. Pedestrians also don't want to walk uphill on bridges that take three times as long to cross vs. just darting across the street.

Here's one in my town. To avoid being too steep it's hella long.

If you've ever met a human, you're going to spot the problem right away. Putting these things every 100m wouldn't prevent jaywalking at all. I guess it would make it even easier to blame the pedestrians for accidents, but if your goal is to prevent accidents this isn't a solution.

It is handy for when people want to get a message out though. People hang out up there with banners and whatnot so all the passing cars see. I've never seen a pedestrian or cyclist using it to safely cross the street, but I've seen people with banners a few times.

Put the cars underground and let them choke on their own exhaust IMO.

You're making the fundamental assumption that anyone who builds or drives on roads cares about pedestrians. Nobody who builds roads actually cares about pedestrians or making walking convenient or easy. How do you think those guys get to work every day?

You can see how much of a poo poo they give about pedestrians because there aren't even any Jersey barriers protecting the sidewalk from the cars. That overpass isn't designed to solve a problem, it's designed to look like it's solving a problem without really changing anything.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

pseudorandom posted:

If it weren't for the few scattered concrete blocks to the right of the truck, and the broken parts of the wall on the top left, this scene almost looks completely fine; I'd think I was just looking at a building that had a truck-sized doggy door where they just plow through and it opens upward to let them pass.

I thought they were stairs the truck had backed into. Then I realized it was a dump truck.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Handmade artisanal steel chain.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Powershift posted:

Oh hell yeah!

Those are Levi's too, so he's definitely burning his taint and/or balls.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Guyver posted:

Couple things. First is his back is in flexion then straightens it's hard to tell this because he's literally 450 lbs of mostly muscle. Second when people say "lift with your legs" they mean to remove the spinal loading, what do you think is holding that in place as he raises with his legs? Hint. It's not his arms. Lastly a lifting belt does nothing for spinal integrity it's for creating extra intra abdominal pressure.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's less about skeletal loading and more about changing the mechanics of the lift for your core muscles. Your erector spinae and other core muscles aren't actually that strong and don't have great attachment points for direct use like that. They mainly stabilize your body and skeleton while other muscles such as your glutes or hamstrings do the actual lever work. By having the weight far away from your feet as you deadlift you're creating a situation where the core muscles have to support way more weight than they normally would which is a recipe for disaster. So you can safely deadlift a shitload of weight as long as that weight is pretty close to your toes. And you lift with your legs in the sense that your hamstrings are primarily involved in the deadlift, and not any of your back muscles. Your hamstrings basically pull your upper body like a lever using your hips as a fulcrum.

You still will feel some action in your core muscles but that's because they stabilize your spine through the lift. And if you mainly feel deadlifts in your core then you may need to change how you're exercising because that means your hamstrings are really strong but your core isn't strong enough so you're definitely going to blow your back out. Or your hamstrings aren't limber enough which is another reason people blow their backs out doing deadlifts, because they'll roll their hips instead of pivoting around them. Most people have really poor range of motion in their hamstrings because they sit most of the day. So it's something you really have to work up to and not expect to be able to do them right out of the gate.

Sex Skeleton fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 21, 2019

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

sharkytm posted:

It's like the suit jacketed acetylene tank at my local welding supply shop. They don't put a suit jacket on it, it just looks like a suit jacket because it peeled open when the tank failed. I'll have to get a picture the next time I'm there. There's a sign on it that says "This is why your tank must be within inspection date."

There's a part of me that wants to hear what that sounded like when it failed. And the other part of me is desperately hoping nobody was standing next to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

ReelBigLizard posted:

Found this in a clients office today.

Sign is clear much understood by opening person.