Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cumslut1895 posted:

Yeah, I guess it broke. I'd still expect some kind of safety device limiting the speed it could fall at.

Edit:

As an aside, why is it possible for car batteries to empty because someone left the lights on? it's trivial to separate power lines into important (including starting the engine) and unimportant functions (leave the AC/Heater on important) then turn off the unimportant line when the battery voltage drops below some voltage

They already have this. My car will turn the lights off after X amount of minutes (x being a value you can set), and will turn off the interior lights after something like 30 minutes if you leave them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to work at the worlds shadiest lumber yard. I worked it over a summer during college, and they gave me no formal fork lift training other than "here's what the levers do, don't break anything".

Now that might be fine if these were somewhat normal forklifts, but they weren't, they were massive machines with 3-speed manual transmissions (clutch included!) that were capable of 25+ mph and contained GM 3.8L V6 engines running propane.

They were fun, but man, looking back, that was dangerous.

This is also the same yard that made me do deliveries in a semi truck (complete with piggyback forklift, making it even longer than a normal semi) with no experience beyond "I can drive stick" and no cdl. I actually refused to do deliveries after a couple times because I never felt safe. The first time I took it anywhere I couldn't figure out how to shut it off because I didn't know you had to choke the motor to stop it.

After that I did smaller deliveries in the Chevy stake truck

OSHA :psypop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FIRST TIME posted:

I consider myself a pretty good forklift driver and decent with a stick shift in a car but the thought of combining those two things sounds like it would require a good amount of multi-tasking.

Yeah it was a steep learning curve. One of the first jobs they had me do was unload 20ft bundles of treated lumber off an enclosed train car, which involved going up and down an incline with like the heaviest lumber load you can have.

Any time you were on an incline it was a nightmare to work the forks and keep the thing where you wanted it with the brake and the clutch. I got really good at holding the clutch, and heel-toeing the brake and throttle because of course the idle was set too low for them to lift more than 10lbs at idle speed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DemeaninDemon posted:

Dumb engineers.

Heard one wanted to heat-stress test their doodad and asked to stick it in the ICP-OES torch. Like it was a Bunsen burner or something. Thing's around the temperature of the surface of the sun. It's one purpose in life is to obliterate any matter it touches. No we do not want your poo poo all over the icp chamber.

How can you work with a piece of equipment like that and not constantly throw poo poo into it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ivor Biggun posted:

The part of the story I don't get is if the elevator car was on the first floor then how did she die without anybody noticing? Didn't they hear her banging on the door, or did everyone walking past just think "not my problem"?

No why

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

We've been known to show this in our forklift class at work.

Ok class, I'd like you all to watch this gif and tell me what klaus did wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The rate at which he gets pulled in says he is not ok