Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

RandomPauI posted:

Why were the trucks driving into the flow of traffic?

My guess would be a sign saying something like "all over height trucks must turn left because there's a 11'8" bridge ahead", meaning the little side road that the yellow truck eventually backs down, but because of poor placement it's leading them onto the highway. But that's purely speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Couldn't they just lower the bridge?

They tried that in Florida, it didn't work so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucflj-MsJBI&t=6s

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah but he ½ dies.

I don't know if flip-flops should really be considered shoes. They're like barely hanging on to your feet at the best of times.

His reaction after getting shot is loving precious though.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
There's a hell of an endorsement. "Crisco: you're physically capable of digesting it."

e: also, eew.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Butterfly Valley posted:

As a Brit I stubbornly support separate hot and cold taps in sinks because it’s what im used to. 95% of the time I’m never using the hot tap anyway as cold water is fine for pretty much every reason you’d wanna use a sink, bar maybe filling it up with hot water when you’re having a shave. Maybe I’m just a loving idiot bathroom fitting luddite but I find mixer taps are never particularly easy to use. I dislike most modern fittings that seem to have decided on angular pointy metallic slabs being the preferred control method, but with no universally agreed upon method of activation - pulling, pushing, lifting, turning etc, and usually it’s difficult to work out which direction is hot and which is cold. There might be a tiny little red or blue spot somewhere on the tap, but are you supposed to push it in the direction of that colour for more of that heat? Or does the visible colour correspond to what heat you’re getting? I far prefer just a cold tap I can turn on and off without needing the lights on and my glasses on to work out how to use.

On the one hand, I definitely have been annoyed by poorly designed sink fixtures, but this sounds a lot like those people in Oregon who thought pumping their own gas was one step down from brain surgery.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Looks like a pretty good ad for those brake pads.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The one thing it's missing is a jury-rigged periscope sticking up through the sunroof.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

mostlygray posted:

I hate those ones. They only seem to exist in hotels. They make no sense. I've even seen them where they go to full pressure by turning to the right and they start with hot. Turn them all the way, they go cold.
Then you have the ones that are round but you tip them up like a lever and turn where it feels like the knob is going to come off in your hand.

Yeah, I think the quibbling over sinks is missing the larger issue of terrible shower taps.

One hotel I stayed at had a single lever that got hotter the farther clockwise you turned it. Fairly standard. Except for some reason when you first turned it on it would only get up to tepid no matter how high you turned it, until you cranked it back down to cold and then back up. Like, let it run for five minutes at a setting you know should be plenty hot, it's still cool, give it a quick twist back and forth, and it immediately turns scalding. I could never quite figure out how or why that worked like that.

The best design I've seen is one with two separate levers/selectors, one for temp and one for flow. So you can set the temp where you like it and just leave it there between uses.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
He died of lung cancer three minutes later. :ghost:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

quote:

The driver is not facing any charges, but is expected to be ticketed.

I doubt that, it sure looks like there are some charges involved.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jabor posted:

Fire doors don't open inwards.

Well, they shouldn't, at least.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Vanagoon posted:

Derailed train or broken fire hose?

Crashed train or burnt down structure.

Choose.

I like this new spin on the trolley problem.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

There's a cool demonstration one of my science teachers did where you take an empty soda can, fill it with a little bit of water, heat it up over a burner, and then flip it over and dunk it top-first into a beaker of cold water. It pretty much does exactly that.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

frodnonnag posted:

What is the name of canada's osha equivalent?

Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

HardDiskD posted:

What exactly are they building here? I don't think it's a tunnel because they dug up that pit...

Based on the tag on the GIF it's apparently a demo, specifically for the roller support truck that they build the thing around.

quote:

This video shows the versatility of the Zipper truck system. We are able to create tunnels with openings very quickly with no permanent support work. This arch can be used as a mining reclaim tunnel or storage vault with top access.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Does that count as a three-pointer? I know bowling scoring is kind of weird.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Also credit to the firefighter for realizing that stopping it was a lost cause and getting away safely. Most of these videos end up with the person clinging to the machinery for far longer than is healthy.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Vanagoon posted:

With all the legal requirements on cars we have surely they can pass a requirement or two about big gently caress trucks being able to actually stop.

I thought there is, which is why the driver in that pileup got ticketed - and is being further investigated - for having a truck that didn't.

quote:

Police say a tractor-trailer's inadequate brakes contributed to the crash, which happened around 4:20 p.m. Thursday.

The operator of the tractor-trailer, 74-year-old Allen R. Kirkpatrick, from Wyalusing, Pennsylvania, has been ticketed for operating an out-of-service vehicle, Binghamton police said. Members of the state police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit are also investigating.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Crossfit routines are really starting to get out of hand.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I found a documentary on Youtube about bottling Coke, which includes some OSHA fun times around molten glass at 35:23:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TclUk6-63QQ&t=2123s

The whole thing is a pretty neat watch, but for the most part very safe and well regulated. Though Coke obviously isn't going to show footage of the night shift guys loving around on forklifts or anything.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I didn't realize how much I took the whole "things dropped from planes go down" thing for granted until just now

This is why the F/A-18 Super Hornet has its pylons canted outwards by about ten degrees. Having them point straight forward could induce that kind of separation problem.

e: which, uh, to avoid going too far off topic, would definitely not be Safe or Healthy for fighter pilots carrying on with their Occupation.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 2, 2018

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

genesplicer posted:

A few years ago I had to go through the chemical/mineral cabinets in my middle school's science storeroom to check for any outdated materials, plus anything that might have recently been added to the "Too dangerous to use in middle schools" list (acids over 5 molar are on that list now.)

Man, this brings back memories of my 8th grade science teacher. It was his last year before retiring and he gave absolutely zero fucks. The entire classroom must have been an OSHA nightmare; I went to the nurse several times for ice packs after getting burned, and one kid had all the hair on his arm burned off by a giant balloon full of hydrogen. I learned a lot about science and about life in that class. He's actually the guy who taught me the how-to-implode-a-coke-can trick replicated by those underpressurized railroad tanker cars earlier in this thread.

This was late 90's, so he had probably been teaching there since the 70's or earlier. I'm sure his store room had some terrifying stuff in the back.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

SelenicMartian posted:

Only their wings are inverted. The rest of the car wants to fly.

Well the rest of the airplane wants to fall out of the sky, so the analogy still works nicely.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

"I just want to make it clear that most bridges are built so that they don't fall down."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

sticksy posted:

What are the white things moving right to left on the roundabout, people? If so, it looks like they just assumed walking normally on their after the truck careened past them lol.

Based on the way they accelerate, they look more like cars on the far side of the roundstraightthroughabout.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

By the crest on his shirt, he apparently hosed up the "accio pencil" command.

So not a Ravenclaw, then.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Does anyone know the story behind this? I've seen it a few times in this thread but never caught a real explanation. It looks like molten glass, but what are they normally making and how did it go wrong? Like, why is there a machine capable of spooging out a white hot death rope in the first place? It seems like such a fascinating and terrifying failure mode.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Renegret posted:

why don't they just lower the cable???

No just raise the mine.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh. It wasnt built as a limosine, it was an SUV converted into one.

Is anything ever built as a limousine? I thought pretty much every stretch limo started as a regular car that has an extension kludged into it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Powershift posted:

these fuckers used to air like 50 times during every hockey game here in Canada.

:nws: :nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCyVku1HvI

Hold up, I call bullshit on #4, there wasn't anything wrong with that ladder other than being poorly suited for that particular job.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

schmug posted:

"The crew is returning to Earth in a ballistic descent mode"

hmm... that doesn't sound optimal.

It's a lot better than some of the alternatives after your rocket malfunctions.

They've been recovered and are fine now, btw.

https://twitter.com/SpaceflightNow/status/1050353521005121538

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sometimes you watch these clips and something completely unexpected happens at the end.

This was not one of those times.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

It just occurred to me that red is really the most unsettling color they could have chosen for that...

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1053741047698935809

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I've heard of bunker fuel being lovely junk fuel, but I didn't realize that "what's left over after you take out the gasoline and other good stuff" is what was meant by "slightly refined". Like, literal garbage fuel.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I thought that was a chair that someone had rigged up to hang from the ceiling, then my brain flipped it around.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

There are some choice avatar pictures in there.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ak Gara posted:

I'm sorry is that a bath tap that just pours all over the floor?
Or a GIANT ROOM SIZED BATH?

That's the thing that bugs you about that picture? :raise:

It's a handheld shower head, you can pick it up and, uh, wash yourself one-handed. Most setups like that have a clip up high where you can secure it to make it work sort of like a normal shower.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Platystemon posted:

Wikipedia hates humour and will never let it stick around.

It will live forever in my Folder Of Random Aviation poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Queen Combat posted:

Bioshock taught me that a lot of close quarters problems are solved with a shotgun.

Though you'd think that in a deep water habitat with lots of windows that would also cause exciting new problems at the same time.