Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You can try this yourself at home. Go outside and stare at the sun, everything else will look darker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Also they are holding the hot metal part of the iron.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

mostlygray posted:

An uncle of a friend of mine blew himself up trying to weld a fitting to an old gas tank to make a pressure tank for an air compressor. He was killed instantly.

I don't understand how it's possible, but no amount of rinsing will make a fuel tank safe to weld. I was always told that, if you were going to weld or braze a fuel tank, to fill it to the brim with water first. I'd never risk it myself.

A boss burnt his arm pretty good cutting the lid off an old fuel drum with a plasma cutter. He asked me to do it first and i was like, no way, and took about 20 steps back. As soon as he started cutting a huge jet of flame shot out.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

zedprime posted:

e. If you look at it like a piston problem, you have 14 psi pushing on your body's surface area. That's about 183 kN, but all spread out over some 2 square meters of body. If you try to stick all 2 square meters of body into a quarter inch hole with 183 kN of force, the itty bit of your head that hits the hole first is seeing something like 210000 psi.

No, not even close. 14psi over a 1/4" hole is 2.75lbs of force.

15 psi across the neck hole could be quite a bit though.

e- they said 135psi, so like 300ft down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3fN4N3D8

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 31, 2016

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

zedprime posted:

I don't follow the perpetual motion? The whole example's point is being a static balance. Most of all I don't understand the focus on the neck being a bigger opportunity to exert force. A plug missing from a hydraulic oil system is a mess you clean up with oildri. A pinhole in a hydraulic system is a mess you clean up with amputation.

How about this way. Your body's surface area is N. In pressure equilibrium, all of N is pushed on by all pressure, and you are in the case you describe.

You lose air pressure or whatever and now there's not pressure equilibrium. Your dive suit turns into a positive displacement pump, or other words a toothpaste tube. N-x% of your body you are getting that 41klbf for suitably small x, pressure differential times actual area in a strict case. Since I am looking at it as a static problem (ie the diver goes nowhere, just pulped in his suit) all that's left to counteract that force is some pressure exerted on x% of your body. So x is the percent of your body that is impinging on the suit, at the top, at the neckhole, whatever plugs. In actuality the situation is dynamic, the force is balanced by the work of forcing junk through the "clog" (yuck) until X-n has fallen low enough to reach equilibrium with what must become a column of blood inside the hose, as well as a hundred other factors like incomprehensible bits, spring response etc. The piston problem follows as a naive static case where you have a pressure differential acting on area N-x, that can be balanced by a force acting on remainder x. There is no relative hydraulic force on x, we are necessarily in an unbalanced regime, but it must balance with the hydraulic force on N-x.

The pressure of toothpaste at the nozzle follows from that analogy. Peristaltic pumps follow from the principle, where small force enacted on a flexible membrane magnifies into a big pressure at pump outlet.

So a diver would be a big tube of toothpaste. Yuck.

You need to start over. The air hose, the helmet, and the suit are all at the same pressure. I think some seal around just the helmet but the ones we are talking about for deep sea navy diving or whatever are the whole suit. So anyway, helmet, suit, hose, all the same pressure, size of neck hole and hose are irrelevant. The force is the pressure differential over the surface area of the suit. That's it. I suppose the suit would wrinkle and some forces would cancel out but yeah, deep enough and a loss of pressure to the suit and you become toothpaste. It just seemed to me like 1atm or so would not be enough.

Probably been posted a few times but here is a video about pressure differentials acting on divers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

AWD is really nice for getting the car moving but does not help as much with turning and stopping. Also, with the wrong tires it's completely useless. I had to move my subaru for snow plows, still had my high performance summer tires on, and it was difficult to go down the block, turn around, and then make it up a slight incline to the driveway. First and last time I drove in snow with those.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

How about we get this bike poo poo out of the way

1. of course you can draft on a fixed gear. You just have to spin your legs with the pedals which is much different from actually generating power to move forward. Does limit how fast you can go but you are still drafting. Commom gearing will let you get up to nearly 30mph while still being able to turn the pedals while you really start to notice a draft below 20.

2. fixed gear bikes are meant to be raced around a velodrome where lots of riders are going very fast very close to each other. The lack of brakes is actually a safety thing on the track. However, a lot of dipshits ride them around on the street. The singlespeed/fixed thing actually got popular a really long time ago so a lot of the bikes you can buy do actually comes with brakes, it's only the very specific race bikes that do not. This does not stop idiots from removing them to ride around on the street with.

3. They are actually useful to ride because they are cheap and simple, and you can often set them up to coast by turning the wheel/hub the other way so it is a regular siglee speed.. Racers like to ride them because it is supposed to help create a smoother and more efficient pedal stroke.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 5, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Ah yes, the classic fable of the alligator and the frogs.

Speaking of reptiles, this seems less cute thread and more osha/rooms I wouldn't want to be in

https://twitter.com/maggieserota/status/816844286411046912

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 6, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The thing about asbestos is that most of it will not actually kill you. Only about 10% is the type that will cause mesothemioma. So some sources are deadly, like Libby, mt. Others maybe not. Or that's my memory from a geology class awhile ago.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

That is the regular spillway that's chewed up. The emergency overflow spillway is fine. It's just that there are no gates or anything, no water goes into it until the lake is filled and there is no way to control it. So if it keeps raining hard all that extra water just goes out completely uncontrolled.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I somehow missed that the emergency "spillway" was just the hillside next to the dam. Nice.

And here's a classic dam failure for everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdOGPBnfoKE

Also this one, we took a field trip there in geology class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6AvEZO34xI

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 10, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

My impression is that the main spillway was inspected and even repaired fairly recently.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Hey well it seems to be mostly natural rock now.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

Tom Scott (well, a guy named Grady, really) did a video on the Hyatt Regency Collapse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnvGwFegbC8

That's in the book "why buildings fall down."

Good read: https://www.amazon.com/Why-Buildings-Fall-Down-Structures/dp/039331152X

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

On earth we have this stuff called "air" that exerts a drag force on moving objects.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Something like 5-6 people were gored in yellowstone last year. The book death in yellowstone is pretty good.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

This happened near jackson hole this winter

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I wondered if I was in the immediate kill zone the other day and then didn't look it up.

Based on some of the maps I'm seeing from a quick search, it would be close.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Maybe they were in the process of removing the bucket (I think you have to pull out two big pins), and it stuck in place. Doesn't explain why it got lifted up so high and the guy walked under it though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The Walrus posted:

wouldn't a 6 foot stake driven into the ground at a 45 degree angle to the house be pretty good?

Not compared to the force 150mph wind will exert, it's pretty common for roofs to get ripped off in hurricanes and tornadoes. With like, more straps and good anchors that could actually help.

The other option of course, would be to build the houses better.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cool Bear posted:

My hands are beautiful and perfect.

Sometimes I wonder if I should smash and cut my hands to make them look grizzled and badass in order to make girls like me.

edit- to make anyone respect me

I was a full time mechanic and do a lot of building, home improvement, physical labor type stuff and i pretty much always wear gloves. I started doing that after a friend told me "no girl is going to let them touch you with those gross, dirty hands."

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

HOLY gently caress that cable bounced off the bucket a couple of times it looks like! Possibly not, but it sure got freakin close. It's tough to tell because of the angle.
That could have really sucked if it managed to catch him.

Looks like there is a guy in the other bucket holding the wire that you can't see.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Don't you need to be up at like 50k to really see the curvature of the earth?

I know these guys are idiots, but how does he expect to see anything without even getting above the surrounding mountains?

I suppose the plan is "all the way up at 1800ft and all i can see are mountains. Earth is definitely flat!"

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 22, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The other jon bois videos are pretty great too

And yeah i didn't read the article first. Don't think that guy actually believes the earth is flat.

And have no flat earthers tried sticking a camera on a weather balloon?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I know a guy who crashed a propane truck. It went off the road and rolled onto it's side and didn't blow up or light on fire. The driver that crossed centerline and hit him head on died though. Really the biggest worry would be that you are crashing into a fully loaded semi-truck.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I went on a guided trip down the lochsa river in Idaho a few years ago, and they put you in a wetsuit, life jacket, and helmet. Our boat flipped at one point and I had time to think "gee, i sure have been under water a long time and this life jacket isn't working very well." Going to try to avoid swimming though big rapids from now on.

There are a bunch of videos of that river on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSWY0Mq3zFU

I was surprised to see that only like one person has died there in the last 10 years or so.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Haven't you guys seen volcano or dante's peak? Chances are that if someone is floating in a small pond that pond has actually been changed into boiling sulfuric acid and going in there is only going to get yourself killed.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Death in yellowstone is a good book on the subject. Fun fact, more people have drowned/died of hypothermia due to the cold lake yellowstone than have died in hot springs, but the stories of people in the hot springs are the worst. And the sweedish lady who got eaten by a bear camping alone.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Memento posted:

Everyone should read Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety.

The most important part of that title is at the end. The number of times that poo poo nearly kicked off due to rank incompetence and fevered egos was staggering. This is my all-time favourite passage, from an incident that happend on October 5th, 1969.

Have it on my kindle somewhere but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

PBS made a good documentary, looks like you have to pay to watch it right now though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Sg0NTEivE

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Good thing she's wearing those sandals.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Humphreys posted:

Thats proper hosed up.

Also, having only touched snow once, why are they riding backwards and down? Isn't the point of skiing to actually ski down the hill?

If the drive system breaks so the pulley suddenly starts freewheeling, which way do you think it's going to go?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

boner confessor posted:

pedestrian deaths increased in the united states by 11% between 2015 and 2016, the largest increase on record

data is too spotty or limited to prove it but everyone assumes it's because of people playing with their phones while walking which includes wandering into traffic and getting hit

Or, you know, from people driving cars with their face glued to their phones.

Related fun fact about AZ

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...says/383640002/

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Devor posted:

For a car traveling 65 mph, the standard braking distance used in the AASHTO Policy on Geometric Design of Highways, using deceleration of 11.2 ft/s2 (again what AASHTO uses for humans), it would take 405 feet to come to a stop.

You realize that a car can decelerate at a much higher rate that 11.2 ft/s^2, and an emergency stop doesn't have to follow asshto guidlines, right?

Good tires on dry pavement will do around a full g, which gives a stopping distance of more like 100ft excluding the reaction time.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

There's no way that truck was loaded, right? That stopping distance was incredibly short. I don't know how even an empty truck could do it.

The weight is nearly irrelevant as friction force is proportional to load. So like say a truck tire has a coefficient of friction of 0.8. Put 1000lb load on it, it can generate 800lb of braking force. With a 10000lb load, it will generate 8000lb. What that means is it should be able to decelerate at the same rate (0.8g) regardless of load, but with more weight more heat is going into the brakes and tires.

That's not completely accurate as the reality of how tires work is that the cf is a curve that reaches a peak and then decreases with additional load, and also a sliding tire has less grip than a rolling tire. The change in cf with load is possibly not even that important here as truck tires and suspension and brakes are designed to work when loaded, not empty, so the cf of the tire is probably in the optimum region when there's stuff in the truck.

The more important thing is preventing the tires from locking up, as your cf drops off by like 20-30% when that happens and of course you are also sliding out of control. Air-powered drums are not very easy to control near the limit of traction. That volvo probably has disc brakes with abs which lets the truck brake basically right at the limit of what is physically possible whereas an older setup would have it lock up some or all of the tires, slide for an extra 100ft or so, and probably jackknife into the ditch.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 18, 2018

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Phanatic posted:

I also think it's crazy that in Normal Law if you try to stall the aircraft, the stall alarms/stick shaker/etc still go off. Even though you're not stalling the aircraft. In other words, the stall alarms are themselves *modal*, they mean two different things based upon which mode you're in:

I don't think that's how it works. In this it's mentioned that the stick shaker works by mechanical feedback from airflow over the wings. So if stall alarms or the stick shaker go off, it's because the airplane is stalling, regardless of normal/alternative law.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 16, 2018

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Phanatic posted:

In normal law you can get an airspeed warning, but you won’t get a stall warning unless the aircraft has failed into alternate.

Why? is this because as soon as you begin to stall it goes to alternate and then the warning goes off or are you saying the plane will not let you stall in normal mode? One thing they mention in the af447 is that they are very close to the limits of stalling because of the altitude. It seems like you could tell the plane to fly at a certain altitude or speed or aoa that would cause a stall while still operating in "normal" mode. Like, will the plane just not let you pull back the stick and reduce throttle or what?

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 17, 2018

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Part two where he goes to shoot it really gives the full picture of how terrible that thing is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3fd4goVs-4

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah showing you a bunch of poo poo that went wrong and explaining why is a bit part of engineering school. Some of my field trips included mulholland's dam that failed and killed hundreds of people, various places along the san andreas fault, and some houses that needed serious engineering work to not get washed into the ocean or slide off a hill.

I've been meaning to track down a copy of normal accidents. Why buildings fall down is a good one that is more geared toward non-engineers.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

e- he explained it better. ^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I haven't really been following the story with that dive boat fire that just killed like 30 people but I saw some comments to the effect of it being a really well run, professional operation. Kinda doesn't seem like it?