Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Celebrating 88 years of OSHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Look closer See the scoop loader on the right at the end?Look at its bucket, it was trying to hold the cranes stabilizer foot down. They knew they were overextending the crane when they started this lift.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

I have the flu so I might be completely missing the point but isn't it pretty darn dangerous to have an outlet where the receptacles aren't recessed so as to make it impossible to touch live prongs?

Welcome to america, or any country that has american style outlets.

Though, bridging contact issues mostly lead to fires, it's pretty rare for a human to bridge them and the 120v shock when it does happen isn't usually high enough to kill. The major concern is people (kids) sticking foreign objects in the sockets, and recessed doesn't make any difference to that.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ramadu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAg-WauGrLU

the robot future doesn't look so great

This is completely on humans, not robots. The plane did exactly what it was told to do: land. That the difference in setup for the plane was one position on a dial among a cluster of similar dials, in the middle of the console, with no indicator lights and no change in any other setting if you instead wanted 'takeoff', kind of reveals the plane wasn't the one at fault, the designers were.

This accident actually caused airbus (and other manufacturers) to greatly simplify the design of the cockpit, making different operating modes much more clearly indicated, and taking fewer steps to switch between them. This more human centric approach to interface (as opposed to engineering centric, or feature centric) has served them very well, and is now the industry standard in all new aircraft design. It's something other industries should pay much more attention to.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ethanol posted:

Yeah I think he was asking the first part of your answer not if radioactivity spewed out of aircraft carriers. All the power generated on a carrier comes from the reactor, there are probably backup diesel generators but they're not running 99.9% of the time. It's quite impressive really, the ship essentially has a full gas tank for its entire life. But the obvious flaw is obvious, it's a reactor on a warship.. so if one of the ship gets ever gets blown up in an actual war it has the potential to be an ecological disaster. Not even considering engineering accidents that may or may not occur

This part isn't true. American nuclear carriers are refuelled as part of their refit/overhaul process, usually about every ten years. Nuclear submarines are also refuelled during their service lifetime.

This is one of the reasons america has so many carriers, they need to force project in multiple locations simultaneously, have some down for general stores replenishment and crew rotation, some available for training, some undergoing refit, and some on rapid response.

Carrier groups are the backbone of american soft power, each one is a piece of american territory that can be parked right next to a country. There are really good reasons nobody ever questions to dollar costs, because those are outweighed by everything else they do.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

HERAK posted:

In the theatre we still use hemp lines for hauling and some rigging, but the hemp splinters you can get from the larger lines are terrible.

Sounds like you need to hire an oakum picker.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wait, I thought hemp was a miracle substance being kept down by Big Textiles. Once cannabis is legalized everything can be made of hemp again, and then everything would be wonderful forever. But now this thread is making me think that maybe . . . hemp bad?

It's a good fiber that is very cheap and quite strong for its weight. It's completely obsolete for strength and durability in a post petro (post polymer) world, however it can replace cotton in a lot of textiles and is frequently much better in those usages. It can also replace wood pulp in paper and is much better for that than wood pulp ever was.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

oohhboy posted:

Finally found out what my job really entails. Programming of building automation systems including industrial processes with equipment running into the millions of dollars including critical products chains that lives relies on.

Bad code or setting could result in lots of lost product, equipment, dead people and explosions. Also other non-obvious failure modes exist. OSHA day in, day out.

Can I recommend TLA+? It allows you to describe a program or system of programs and then test any compiled code against that description, and mathematically prove that the program is compliant or not. Extensively used for military and aviation purposes.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Some quick analysis of the Uber fatality vs what is expected of a human driver on the road.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/video-suggests-huge-problems-with-ubers-driverless-car-program/

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

It'd be kinda nice if you could get up and walk around while in the tube. Maybe something like this?

You could even create a nice story to pitch it with.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Super high purity Peroxide is also an amazing nightmare inducing pile of horror. Nothing else in the panoply of fun chemicals rockets use is able to basically melt the poor bastard fueling the rocket into goo in 60 seconds or less.

Chlorine Triflouride would like to have a word with you. It's outside, on the giant pile of burning asbestos.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sininu posted:

Wait, are those roofing panels? Are those made of asbestos?

Asbestos impregnated plastic (or concrete). Works really well, is super durable, and sheds asbestos fibres for its entire hundred year expected life.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/q0ChZcw.mp4

I'm not good with identifying car models but something tells me this is a Tesla.

BMW

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

I'm not sure where to post to ask about this if not here.

What's the point of this? An insulator bridged by a short?

Is it some kind of half-assed switch?

It's so the line can be isolated in an emergency without losing tension. A crew can pull the bridge pretty safely. I think there is also a tension wire inside the isolater that lets them adjust line tension without interrupting the circuit.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

I should note i drive a 73' on winter tires through the canadian winter with 100lbs worth of weights in the trunk.

FYI my families trick was always to put a couple of big bags of non-clumping cat litter in the trunk. Kept the weight over the rear axle and you could grit any surface that was too slippery. Also we had cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It was a parked trailer that he clipped.

The frame wasn't damaged so they are rebuilding it.

Eh, he might have been going 10 and just kept going when he hit, the rig certainly has enough torque to pull itself apart like that.

He was going way faster though. And also should lose his license.