Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Three-Phase posted:

I think all the gas hoses in the 'States have a disconnector on them so there's no spill if someone drives off with the nozzle still inserted.

By federal law, all Australian fuel bowsers require an automatic cutoff - but it has 30 seconds to activate.

So you get servos letting their maintenance go all to hell because if the valve hasn't turned in thirty seconds it's never going to. Meaning a lot of pumps' safety features are just barely working and probably haven't been tested for months.

Then, if someone rips off the hose, that's a hell of a lot of petrol on the ground.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If only for the guy who got probated by a mod for begging the guy to stop eating nothing but handfuls of lard.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Have you done this with it yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFrfBO-0cZE

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

bitcoin bastard posted:

:nws:
Also :nms: once you look at the back of the trailer.

We had an incident many years ago in Australia where a drugged up piece of poo poo footballer got kicked out of a nightclub one night and drove drunk and drugged along the road at insane speeds until he went right up the back of a truck and had his head taken off.

Naturally it was the truck's fault, because footballers are blameless princesses. But it did mean that we finally got legislation on proper rear impact guards which would actually stop cars from going straight under the back of a truck in a crash.

So, two good things came out of that night.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

xergm posted:

Did you not watch the video? They were specifically pointing out how federal standards regulating those bars aren't strict enough.

All the trucks in the video had them, and most just sheared right off, like the drivers head. :gibs:

The problem is that the bars aren't braced in any way, so they just crumple at the welds.

Thankfully, down here, we have Standards Australia which is an independent body which goes and tests best practice and design and they come up with Standards which can be adopted into legislation.

This happened with rear underrun protection when they modified the Vehicle Standards Act to require bars which would, in fact, hold up under an impact.

They will deform to absorb impact, but not enough to "eat" the car.

Like this:

Also - the old style "big fukken metal tubes" are still legal, but they have to be shown to be able to stop a car driving a (I think) around 60kph.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Motherfuckers need a Falkirk wheel.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I want to believe this isn't a clever edit and that kid is now traveling down the garbage conveyor belts under the city.

Same here, but I don't trust any video where the camera swerves away from the action.

The internet has lied to me too many times.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Collateral Damage posted:

The "funny house" at the Stockholm amusement park has moving stairs like that leading up to the entrance. They're really simple when you just follow the rhythm, but it's amusing to watch people gently caress it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn10aErrE7M

I told this story in the old thread, but it's worth repeating just to reinforce the fact that people are idiots.

We have alternating tread stairs at several points in our warehouse and storage areas to save space. They look pretty much like this:

And half the people I work with, from office drones to chemists to engineers just cannot use them without losing their minds like that guy in the video you linked. They'll walk huge distances out of their way to find 'normal' stairs rather than use them.

When they try to use them, they'll get to the point where they have both feet on the stairs and just freeze. You can see them thinking "Oh god, which foot do I use next? I want to lift my right foot, but that will put it on the left side of the stairs. Crap, now my left foot is wedged against the railing. What do I do?"

Like how some people simply cannot use starting blocks in foot races without getting themselves all confused.

I just don't see the issue. Honestly, I don't know how these otherwise very intelligent people manage to fail at something so simple. But it is funny to watch.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Two things to take from this which should be obvious:

1) Never cut off a truck.

2) Always secure your loads.

This was a minor accident, caused by a dumb rear end certainly, which turned into a big one because the trucking company failed in their duty of care.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It looks like a right hand drive truck, so he probably got away with just making GBS threads himself.

EDIT: Yep, happened in Karratha* in Western Australia.

* It's between Cooya Pooya and West Intercourse Island.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 25, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
She literally headbutts the floor.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Breakfast Feud posted:

The rear external fire escape had toilets all over it

Uh, I'm gonna need some clarifying here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Glue the car to the road using downforce fans.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Should be called 'can handle a little rain and a bit of mud' tyres.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Can anyone explain these signs?

I see them up in places for months at a time for what looks like very minor guardrail damage. You're already sending people out there to put up a sign, maybe just fix the guardrail?

Ask the American Society of Civil Engineers about how no one in the US is fixing its failing infrastructure.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Or just using railings people can't slide down.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Bina posted:

Hmm...

Is that a steam heater or something?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

nomad2020 posted:

Dear forum users,

When I swan dive down the stairs at work it makes my head hurt, how should I bring up this faulty stair design at the next safety meeting.

Sincerely,
Concussed

About 30 years ago the Victorian (Australian) state parliament house had to install new handrails on the main marble stairs because political reporters, during late sessions, had taken to getting drunk and "ottering" headfirst down the foot-wide railing and several had come off the end at very hight speeds and hosed up very expensive works of art. And pot plants. And the walls. And themselves.

Things came to a head when certain career politicians were alleged to have started doing it as well during breaks from their late night sittings. I'm guessing the politicians and reporters took turns flying down the railings in a "I'll keep silent if you keep silent" gentlemen's agreement which ended up with several people hospitalised with everything from concussions to broken legs and arms.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
"What the gently caress is this poo poo? I've got poo poo to do!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
But but but the Commcast man wasn't all nice and subservient!

Poor bastard's out in the freezing bloody snow doing a poo poo job for low pay and is currently dealing with fuckwit drivers trying to kill him by driving too fast.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Bokito posted:

I'm starting to think that workplace safety is not a high priority in China:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bc3_1481760085

"Mechanic dies after being pulled into a spinning machine" - so glad I have the extension which automatically labels all blind linked videos.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Powered Descent posted:

I can't say what Gorilla Salad is using, but I really like the YouTube Link Title script.

The extension you need is Greasemonkey if you're on Firefox, Tampermonkey if you're on Chrome, or Guerilla Scripting if you're one of us weirdos who like Pale Moon. You install the extension and then go install the script I linked. Once that's done, unlabeled video links (from lots of places, not just youtube) look like this:

Mouse over it for the video preview image. I find it's most useful in this thread and in the meme thread.

(Userscripts are great, by the way. I wrote one to change the hideous colors on one of the intranet sites at work, and it's been passed around the office like wildfire.)

Yep, that's the one.

And double yep on how useful userscripts are. I have so many running to fix poo poo from horrible colours in sites, to replacing text, to 'fixing' posts by goons with those obnoxiously flashing avatars.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Astronaut gloves, but the tips on the inside.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Synthbuttrange posted:

Youtube's full of lovely clickbait now.

And you cant vote it down because you've got to go visit and that just pushes their views up anyway.

And then you get even more lovely recommendations from similar fuckwits clogging up your main page.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I don't know if it's OSHA, but it's some goddamn voodoo poo poo.

Wait till the end.

https://streamable.com/6c89d

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Keiya posted:

Well that depends, did they have a witchcraft permit? I don't see proper protective circles.

I still genuinely have no goddamn idea how they managed it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Yes, but did they get so many lined up so perfectly?

They're council workers, they've never done something so precise in their lives.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I was going to make a joke about all the concrete slopping out the back when I realised that is actually was.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

DiHK posted:

And it takes even less to just stop pedaling and coast in that air pocket, but you can't, because it's a fixed gear. Are your legs capable of maintaining the RPM regardless of the torque? And if you don't have brakes can you exert enough counter torque to stop before you hit the thing you're drafting behind?

Can't you just, oh I don't know, take your feet off the pedals?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

FCKGW posted:

I like the use of rotten reclaimed barnwood for a loving ladder that one one cares about.

How are you even supposed to get off that thing safely?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'm not sure, but it screams Russia. Probably St Petersburg.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Keiya posted:

Do people not realize you actually ARE supposed to insulate the bottom of stairs if the area below isn't a heated, insulated space?

Genuine question, why?

If the walls next to the staircase are insulated, what point does further insulation serve?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Why not spend a few grand and get a residential lifting platform?

It's serious overkill, unless you're in a wheel chair or otherwise infirm, but it looks cool as hell.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Let's just up the entire goddamn floor and call it a day.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Oh poo poo, we had that once.

Big arse loving bolts coming up about 10cm out of the floor where old machinery had been taken out years ago and no one had bothered to take an angle grinder to them because no one wanted the hassle of getting a hot work permit. Also, "We might put something there one day, better leave it."

Then in the space of just one day no less than three forklifts drove over the bolts and hosed up their tyres*. And then someone who had come up to help the final forklift get free stood on one of the bolts and had it go right through the sole of his boot but by some absolute miracle not into his foot.

Oh how I laughed. The amount of poo poo I had taken trying to get that issue fixed, "everyone knows they're there so it's not a problem, you don't even work on the warehouse floor get back to the labs".

* There weren't even enough spare tyres on the site, because of course there weren't. So the last forklift had to sit around on three wheels until someone could go the store the next day and buy a bunch of new tyres.

That was an even funnier thing, because when the big boss came in the next day and saw a forklift just sitting there, someone had to explain to him how a known safety issue had just knocked out so many lifts in the space of a single day that we didn't have the parts to continue operation.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 9, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
This is why they lost the empire.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Or even using the helmets themselves.

One over each hand like novelty Hulk Hands, problems solved in 5 seconds.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Dr.Smasher posted:

I think it's been mentioned before but everyone in that picture died from exposure to asbestos.

And the company did know how dangerous it was.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

GotLag posted:

Wittenoom is just all sorts of hosed up. Not only did the company know that it was incredibly dangerous, the mine wasn't even profitable*. As far as I can tell, it was kept open mainly as an excuse to engage in moustache-twirling.

* "For most of the years CSR mined asbestos, the operation lost money. It struggled into profit for the five years from 1956, and then only by making its workforce work two and even three shifts a day. When the mine closed it had an accumulated debt of around $2.5 million."

And the poo poo cherry on top of the cancer sundae is what the company did once it all went public and it turned out several thousand of its employees had lethal mesothelioma.

They decided that if they had to pay out, it was cheaper to pay out to a family after the employee's death than it was to pat out when they were alive. After all, that way they didn't have to worry about hospital bills or suffering or any of that.

So they delayed. And delayed. And delayed.

They pulled every nasty trick in the book to make the proceedings take longer - changes in venues, changes in dates, paperwork errors, missing paperwork, incorrectly filed paperwork.

And the employees died. One after another they died. Slowly and in incredible agony they died. Despairing that they would never see justice, they died.

And when the time finally came that the company was forced to pay, they saved a little bit of money.

And another interesting bit of trivia, one of the heads of CSR's legal team, the person who was rumoured to have been behind their delaying tactics was a woman named Julie Bishop.

Most Australians know her better as Minister for Foreign Affairs and the Deputy Leader of the governing Liberal Party.

:australia:

EDIT: Current tally of cancer deaths from CSR's asbestos mining operations sits at just over 2000 people.

Double edit: This week has really been good at bringing up horrible loving memories from my past. I had an uncle at CSR, he took his own life rather than die of mesothelioma. His family never saw a cent from CSR.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The Lone Badger posted:

We've had a wonky phone line (1 out of 3) at work for months because apparently the junction box in the street is full of asbestos so they can't access it to fix the problem.

Yeah, you can find the stuff everywhere.

That's the thing about asbestos, if it wasn't for the "wholly unique and 100% lethal form of cancer" it would be the perfect material.

You can find it just lying around on the ground literally ready to go with no further processing. It insulates heat and electricity to a simply insane degree. Asbestos blankets were even used to protect the shuttle during reentry from space.

It's light enough to wear and sturdy enough to use in construction. It doesn't degrade or interfere with other materials. You can form it to shape just using your hands and it can even be used as light impact absorption for vehicles.

If it wasn't so good at killing us, we'd probably base our entire society around it.