Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Crazy Ted posted:

Crows are pretty incredible. My parents used to have a heated birdbath, and every winter crows would line the entire rim of the thing like they were having some kind of crow party. There were pennies at the bottom of it, and one by one each crow would dip its beak in, pick up a coin, flip it in the air, and watch it plop back down into the heated water. Apparently this was incredibly amusing to the crows because they'd all make noise for about five seconds after the penny fell back into the water.

Crows own. I've seen random garden birds forming an orderly queue around the feeder and the larger ones waiting for the smaller ones to drop food as they're too big to get on the feeder themselves.

This shows a level of planning and awareness not present in all humans for sure.

Some OSHA from years ago, I had a part time job in a warehouse and one of the other guys carried a wooden table up two flights of stairs then rode it down like a sled. This made so much noise that the customers in the shop above didn't know what the gently caress. He tied a load of sweatshirts round is head though so did attempt ppe at least. I think we filmed it on one of the demo cameras as well.

Also the warehouse manager would occasionally flip out and throw ladders at people. Fortunately not at me as I never pissed him off (that much).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Evilreaver posted:

http://i.imgur.com/B9VJzKf.gifv

No helmet, no vest, that's an OSHA

"poo poo there's a gas leak John, shut off the emergency valve!"

"I'm

on

it

chief"

And that's how 10 men died and John Q Sloth lost his job.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Something something 'the state of left wing politics in the UK'

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

Someone never played OpenTTD.

Don't know about openTTD but in the original transport tycoon trains were invincible vs any other land based transport so to win franchises on routes you could run train lines through your competitors roads and then use the shoddy pathing to trap their vehicles on the crossing so your trains would just blast throught and destroy them.

Hundreds may have died but by God it was worth it to secure that minor passenger route for 1 year. Capitalism 1, passengers 0.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

You missed the best bit:

quote:

An attempt to eliminate the leak was made by pouring in with 20 sacks of flour, thus filling the cracks with dough. However, the leak continued, and the service personnel discovered icing on the right side of the building.

That's what you get when you let the bakery staff loose.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Blog Free or Die posted:

I didn't manage to read all of the previous thread, did Norilsk ever show up?

Behold, Russia' most polluted city!

Also located above the arctic circle, sounds like a fun place.

On the plus side, it led to the creation of this website.

OSHA.city

Pathologic HD remake looking good.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

zedprime posted:

Daily OSHA reminder not to crawl into poop holes, cross posting courtesy of Strange News thread:

[/quote]

Jo Nesbo's Headhunters is apparently closer to reality than I thought

(the film is a pro-watch as well)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

This whole thing is an entertaining read, for instance:

quote:

A few words on the effect of mines might not be amiss. A thing the size of a Hawkins grenade may crack a link but NOT necessarily immobilise the tk. 2O lbs of Mr.WU's picric acid will blow a track and a rd wheel if close to the surface. Mr. WU's normal practice appears to be 40 lbs of picric acid (2 box mines) up to two ft down. Half a sqn may go over it before it goes up, and its effect depends entirely on the ground. In one case it merely blew the bed rolls off, and the rations out of one bin. In another it took off two pair of rd wheels and three ft of track.

Beyond one case of concussion NO damage tocrews has been reported.

quote:

I once, as a tk OP (see Tac) got a little close to the receiving end of our own tk fire and 20 pr rounds arrive without the well known whine. They crack overhead like outsize bullets. In spite of my faith in the 20 pr and the gnrs of 8 KRIH thiss was a rather unsettling performance and is worth bearing in mind when supporting inf.

Shelling your own troops is bad osha.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Going to England and driving on roads with appropriately-set speed limits is a goddamned revelation.

55mph would suck as an upper limit but i can say with confidence that even with a 70mph limit everyone routinely drives at 80 to 85 on the motorway.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I mean it could be worse, they could be living in it like people did with those discarded second stage boosters in Siberia or whatever they were.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

door Door door posted:

Some dude in TCC died ODing on Imodium AD.

What a way to go.

No, wait...

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jose posted:

this is happening outside my window at work right now. didn't get it in time to show the unharnessed guy in the middle climbing to where he's perched

Looks like standard scaffolder working practice to me. I saw a similar guy stop 3 floors up a half finished scaffold and lean back against the wall using the horizontal bar to brace his feet on while he texted as there was no boarding yet.

Edit: I guarantee you they will gently caress that roof up as well but then again it has so much moss on it I guess it's being replaced anyway.

In which case they'll gently caress it up when they taken the scaffolding down instead :v:

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 3, 2017

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

boner confessor posted:

please stop spying on me and my wife's lovemaking tyvm

Attempting to jam wood into small space without proper ppe leaving a poorly secured load and all photographed by a stranger and put on the internet.

You're right that does sound like your wife.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Splode posted:

Japan has an obsession with microvans and weird three wheeled scooters that aren't particularly popular anywhere else.

I always thought that those were a French thing as you'd see old guys trying to get them up steep hills in rural France whilst transporting a load of chickens or something.

I suspect there was some sort of tax dodge for using them like they didn't count as cars becauae that's usually how stuff like this gets started.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

What you saw in France were probably Italian triporteurs with a moped engine. They should be set alight at the first opportunity.
They're taxed as mopeds and don't require a permit last time I checked. Their drivers are as skillful and respectful you'd expect.

Ah yes the taxed as mopeds thing that was it!

I've seen one around near me an I have no idea how the owner got it to be classed as road legal. Then again those G Whiz electric 'cars' were legal and they we basically toys so...

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

The old tiles on my roof were an asbestos concrete mix from the 80s and when I had some work done I had to pay a guy to come and do a full asbestos survey and he basically went "yeah I can tell just by looking that those are asbestos tiles because there's moss/no moss on them. Just don't grind them up and snort them and there's no problem". So that was £900 well spent.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Concrete doesn't just cave in like that unless the underlying formation is removed. There's definitely some undermining going on, and I think just dumping buckets of concrete into it wouldn't be a really good option because it would just wash away. Now, the big question is, is the undermining due to a fault in the spillway, or is this water actually coming through the dam? Either way, if I lived downstream on the flood plain, I'd be just a tad loving nervous.

I bet it's loving ants, those guys undermine like motherfuckers if they get under something. And they're practically communists.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Vanagoon posted:

Half assed, indoor, pedestrian suspension bridge. Always a good idea.

Would this bullshit have worked if there were extra layers of plate where the rods passed through, or if there were more rods? Or is it just a stupid rear end design that was destined to fail.

If they'd put a sleeve of box section with the necessary holes around the beam to support and distribute the load from the washers it would have avoided concentrating all the load into that welded joint which was weaker than a continuous piece.

I mean, I know that welds can be as strong or in fact stronger than the equivalent continuous piece, but what are the chances that that was welded fully and tested for any cracks/voids when this was an on site change?

Edit: otoh I was bad at statics and nearly failed finite element analysis so now i work with computers and post on the internet so dont take my word for it.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 17, 2017

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Keiya posted:

You guys are really making me want VTOL passenger jets.

Bombardier were supposed to be making a civilian tiltrotor that could do vertical takeoff and landing and long range cruise flight. I guess it could autorotate and "glide" as well.

*insert joke about the v22 osprey here*

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Uh, aren't you only supposed to approach the front of a jet engine if it's been tagged so you can tell if it starts rotating in the wind or something?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

Crossposting this from the dangerous chemicals thread over

URL fixed

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2017/03/03/how-not-to-do-it-breaking-up-ammonium-nitrate

New Derek Lowe piece, about BASF using a novel method of separating large hunks of solid ammonium nitrate

The one linked in there is crazy: http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2009/09/18/175_times_and_then_the_catastrophe

"175 times and then the catastrophe"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

wyoming posted:

Found some pre-OSHA fun.

Safety tip number 1: avoid bong hits.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

JFairfax posted:

live electrical jizz

Where did you get the name of my prog rock Star Wars album???

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

RatHat posted:

What does a doctor even do about this?

Shout "holy poo poo guys you gotta see this!" and take pics

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Shout "OH MY DEAR GOD.... I"M GONNA MAKE SO MUCH MONEY OFF THIS SURGERY!"

"Those idiots at the journal will have to respect me now!" *replaces woman's skull with metal*

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Powershift posted:

I've heard it can be caused by a traumatic event like accidentally cutting your brother in half with a machete.

Is this the king Solomon origin story?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

hailthefish posted:

Considering the entire building is bugfuck insanity in glass and steel...

That looks like one of those giant flowers that smells of rotten meat.

Raflesia or something.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Well there was that soviet nuclear fuel pond that they tried to patch up by pouring flour into it to try and gum up the cracks with dough or something so maybe baking is more important in the nuclear industry than we thought

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

JFairfax posted:

his name was Robert Landsberg

Who have my Robert Landsberg? I will find my Robert Landsberg.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Ripping the stuck piece of fabric out would require the disgusting strength of a musclebound amazonian body builder, gross.

My shoelace got trapped in an escalator when I was like 11 and apart from falling on my face I yanked it out fine.

I guess a dress like that is going to get more wedged in than an shoelace though. It's like a modern version of that weird 50s artist that only ever drew pictures of women having their dresses trapped in doors and poo poo like that.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Those sandels look properly strapped on so he'll be fine.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

i did this as a child but with a longer rope and sat on the skateboard, it was great and nobody got run over but there was a special school assembly telling us to stop it because someone evidently complained to the school that we were being dangerous, though my parents didn't seem to care :shrug:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Carrs do not pay taxes so I blame them.

Heh. Nice.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

"and two-wheeled vehicles can easily avoid actibump."

...by riding way the hell over in the gutter where a bicyclist generally shouldn't be. I hope there are all kinds of warning signs and flashing lights to warn bikers that there's a "safety" device spanning most of the road up ahead, which could easily kill them if they go over it.

Don't worry, field tests have shown that neither lidar nor radar can detect bikes at all.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

If the child had been 6 inches shorter then he wouldn't have been decapitated, therefore the 48 inch rule actively causes accidents much like seat belts and airframe parachutes do and the designers of the ride are visionaries.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mozi posted:

"Turns out things fly faster than Bernoulli said they would."

Navier-Stokes is only approximate and therefore..

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

goatsestretchgoals posted:

E: There is an interesting debate here. Even if you get a slow cancer off the radio waves from your cell phone, is that worse than when we didn't have a computer in our pocket that talked to the rest of the world?

Depends on whether it's being used to read your posts.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

oh ho we're running out of air,

ohhh ho now we need a prayer

Fixed it for you.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

tonberrytoby posted:

I accidentally responded to the air2air nuke chat from here, in the military history thread. And they answered with something more OSHA appropriate then the last few pages here:
https://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/nuke-the-pilot-2769219/

Pro Read right here.

A Mad Man posted:

Whether the overexposure contributed to the life-threatening melanoma I developed seven months later, I’ll never know.

Hmm who can possibly say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Phanatic posted:

200 milliroentgens is a pretty small amount of exposure. For the kind of radiation he was exposed to that's about 200 millirem, or 2 millisieverts. 4 mSv is about a year's worth of background exposure for most people. The occupational one-year dose limit for radiation workers is 50 mSv, and the lowest dose actually linked to any increase in cancer risk is about double that.

I doubt that had anything to do with his getting melanoma in such a short time.

Do you think the unquantified additional exposure he states ("I wasn't allowed to see the radiation film badges as they were classified") or perhaps this:

Are You loving Kidding Me posted:

My next two missions were H-bomb tests over Bikini Atoll. On the second, the bomb exceeded its predicted yield by a significant amount, breaking my airplane’s right wing spar in two places. On the plus side, this provided the test engineers with the maximum possible data and negated the need for more testing.

Could maybe point to a guy that regularly flew over nuclear blasts just perhaps having a strong causal link with a cancer linked to exposure to high levels of UV and or other types of radiation? I mean I suppose it could have been melanoma on his rear end and be irrelevant...