Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I'm on a phone so unsure how this will look, but saw this guy hard at work today. I suppose it could be worse...

http://m.imgur.com/7bNoyGp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Not really OSHA, but just found out my father in law noticed today that his gas grill was still on from the last use on the 4th. When it's connected to the home gas line, I suppose it will go forever like some sort of patriotic eternal flame.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

hmmm yes I think I'll avoid those for now, thanks

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Bamboo is stronger than any steel.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Icon Of Sin posted:

That doesn’t stop it from burning like hell on the way in. I guess I’m lucky he even found the vein, I was dehydrated enough to take 4 bags of saline and barely have to pee. I also come from a scuba diving background where air bubbles in the bloodstream is an immediate “go to the nearest decompression chamber before you are dead or maimed” situation.

Come to think of it, maybe I just should’ve have IV’s/arterial lines run unless I’m actively dying. I had an arterial line put in as part of a medical test at Duke University, and despite verifying with an ultrasound that everything was in the right place, my hand felt like it was on fire and wouldn’t open/close right for a week afterwards. The guy putting in the line was a professor of anesthesiology at Duke Medical School, so I assumed he knew what he was doing...but my hand said otherwise.

A professor? You were probably his first stick.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Sticky Date posted:

I know there are upstream warnings too, but those traffic light warnings are worthless, look how late they come on. They should be like hey you truck holy gently caress slow down you dumb fucker

I believe the speed limit at that point is something like 25mph so you have to already be violating the law by a wide margin to not allow time for those warnings to trigger. Not to mention all the static warnings before it...

There is also a pedestrian crossing like 100 ft before that intersection so that is an area you are supposed to be driving through very carefully.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

This is maybe a block and a half from the famous 11'8" bridge.

RIP Durham

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I guess that is a better headline than "Person missing at meat processing factory" ???

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Uh. Does that count as a rescue?

And how does it end???

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Fine I do it myself:

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/74-year-old-woman-rescued-after-being-injured-while-hiking-on-piestewa-peak

quote:

The airlift did not go as it was expected to -- take a look at the video. During the rescue, air turbulence from the helicopter's rotor caused a bumpy ride for the woman. She was seen on a stretcher spinning at a fast pace below the helicopter. The woman was then transported to an area trauma center for evaluation.

During a news conference Tuesday afternoon, officials said during the hoist rescue, a line that was supposed to help prevent the spinning didn't prevent it, and that the phenomenon is known in the hoist rescue industry. Officials also said similar incidents have happened in the past, and that procedures were done to try and stop the spin.

Neat.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I haven't understood a single word from the last two pages. A drill what now?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Operation Anime Pillow

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
oops

Bridge Collapses in Taiwan, Taking Oil Truck With It https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/01/world/asia/taiwan-bridge-collapse.html

It looks like a modern bridge but it is kinda rusty :/.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
SelenicMartian you are a complete piece of poo poo :flipoff:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
They have the blinkers on what else do you want

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

palecur posted:

End of an era -- they're finally raising the rail crossing at 11'8":

https://twitter.com/jbphebus/status/1185298845409914880

According to this it will now be 12'4':

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/can-opener-bridge-durham-north-carolina_n_5dab7178e4b08cfcc31c6af0

quote:

Railroad records show that the new clearance height will be 12 feet, 4 inches ― only 8 inches taller ― “for the purpose of improving safety and reducing damage to NCRR infrastructure from vehicle strikes.”

Judge believes 8 inches is “the most they can raise it” without having to reconstruct another nearby crossing, but referred HuffPost to the railroad for details.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

I kinda imagine a test pilot like this is supposed to be some super experienced no-nonsense person who does everything by the book to a fault. Obviously this is not true but are they even good pilots or does a company hire anyone they can find to "validate" and sign off on this kind of poo poo?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Uthor posted:

I don't know who those people were, but I can see it being helpful having someone with Flight Simulator 2000 experience for intermediate testing and debugging during development before bringing in the high paying experts.

That's what this conversation sounded like to me.

Mark Forkner was Boeing's "Chief Technical pilot" which *sounds* like an important title but maybe not.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I remember when Gary Sinise cut his legs off for his role in Forrest Gump. There is simply no special way to give the effect of missing limbs in film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Let's just do a torque test on these foundation bolts, make sure they're still good.

https://i.imgur.com/JDlyVE8.mp4

Well are they? Tell us the results.