Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's the rare Reddit username that's both funny and G-rated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Arrhythmia posted:

buggery? in the navy??

Rum, sodomy, and the lash.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Irradiation posted:

It's a fixed gear bike so no. Fixed gear riders outside of a velodrome/stunts deserve anything that happens to them.

If he's in the US his bike is likely illegal, fixies on public roads are required to have real brakes in most places.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
move, bitch, get out da way, get out da way bitch, get out da way

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

It's not like a dead cow is a big deal. Like when an escalator breaks it becomes stairs, when a cow breaks it becomes steak.

sorry for the deliciousness.

A strong blow to the forehead is one of the steps of standard cattle slaughtering procedure anyway, ram was just trying to comply with meat industry standards.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Like so many other dumb science lab stunts, this has been thoroughly investigated by Mythbusters.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I figured it broke because it hit the edge of the table hard and something gave way :shrug:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mak0rz posted:

What are numbers 5 through 1?

some guy on an aviation forum posted:

10. Lindburgh Field @ San Diego en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindbergh_Field

9. Funchal @ Madeira, Portugal en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeira_Airport

8. Eagle County @ Vail, CO en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_County_Airport

7. Courcheval @ Courcheval ski area, France en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courchevel_Airport

6. Kai Tak @ Hong Kong (closed)(Checkerboard approach) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai_Tak_Airport

5. Gibralter @ Gibralter territory en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibralter_Airport

4. Princess Julianna @ St. Maarten en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Julianna_International_Airport

3. Gustaf III @ St. Barth's en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustaf_III_Airport

2. Toncontin @ Tegucigalpa, Honduras en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toncont%C3%ADn_International_Airport

1. Tenzing-Hillary @ Lukla, Nepal en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lukla_Airport

This is according to the History Channel six years ago, should probably look for second opinions.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

This is terrifying in VR :staredog:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wasabi the J posted:

If I'm not mistaken, water is one of the best things with which you can shield an exposed source.

True, if submerged in water it won't be able to hurt anything via direct radiation other than curious fish. But if the core ruptures, the currents will pick up and carry all kinds of dangerous stuff and it'll spread throughout the ecosystem like mercury does.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Those things were built to loving last. I remember way back in this thread or a previous one someone posted pictures of a collision between a duck and a normal bus. The duck had a few scrapes and dents and the bus was completely smashed in.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The iPad has a magnetic compass in it, could have used that in combination with paper charts if he really had no reception.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is that supposed to be a fountain? is it supposed to be built out of home depot cement bricks? :iiam:

If there's one thing I've learned from this thread it's that forklifts have enormous weight and traction for their size and are perfectly designed to destroy anything they collide with.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do you want to live in a Grudge house? Because a second hand house could be a Grudge house. Not like the drat realtor is gonna mention it.

If you're in New York they actually are required to

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Atticus_1354 posted:

Interior barn doors can be done well with proper trim to fill the gap, but the no lock can still be a problem. But they really only fit in a ranch house or cabin.

We had one of these in a New Orleans hotel, and it sucked. No proper trim, and the rail was a bit tilted so it would slide itself back open unless you carefully nudged it into the sweet spot.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I recently moved to the Caribbean which is like living in an OSHA film but my favorite thing so far is when my boss described trying to kill termites by tipping over a bunch of 55 gallon drums of sulfuric acid onto them on top of a steeply inclined driveway

Now that I think about it, Leinigen vs the Ants is a pretty OSHA story

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ambaire posted:

Ahh, boiler artillery. Sounds like fun. Or would this be more like a boiler mortar?

Looks like a king-sized version of those Mythbusters water heater rocket videos.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Good part starts at 00:50 for impatient people like me.

:staredog:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Flight time of 16 seconds -> 8 seconds to highest point -> d = 1/2at^2 -> 313.6 meters

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 6, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sooo... that guy's dead, right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crazycryodude posted:

What was the objective here?

They heard a junk shot shut down the Deepwater Horizon well so they thought they'd give it a try

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How did the two people die? It isn't in the linked article.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Whooping Crabs posted:

How much does a steel beam weigh?

Wikipedia says 22lb/foot and the one in that video is at least 7 or 8 feet long so well over 150lbs. That guy won't have a collarbone left by the time the job's done.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tumble posted:

I think they shoved it into their car too, lmfao

the little baby calf imprinted on cars and humans and was refusing to eat, and the original herd wouldn't take it back, so they killed it

Yeah, the rangers had a hell of a time explaining to everyone that the calf's life had been permanently derailed and if they hadn't euthanized it it just would have gotten itself killed in a much more prolonged and/or painful way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pidan posted:

And this is how we learned that cultural differences are deadly: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Cberlingen_mid-air_collision

quote:

Devastated by the loss of his wife and two children aboard flight 2937, Vitaly Kaloyev, a Russian architect, held Peter Nielsen responsible for their deaths. He tracked down and stabbed Nielsen to death, in the presence of his wife and three children, at his home in Kloten, near Zürich, on 24 February 2004.[19][25] The Swiss police arrested Kaloyev at a local motel shortly after, and he was sentenced to prison for the murder in 2005. He was released in November 2007 because his mental condition was not sufficiently considered in the initial sentence. In January 2008, he was appointed deputy construction minister of North Ossetia.[26]

:stonklol:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At my college the Meat Sciences building was placed between a dorm and a cemetery...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Always check your tire's allergies before feeding.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Truck plows into Delaware company AnalTech, releasing odor that leads to HazMat situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDqsgbtpDLk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Liquid oxygen is basically combustion in material form, not only is it very flammable but it can make things flammable that are not normally flammable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A nuke might lose some energy through sheer radiation but I don't think volcanoes work like that, all their energy is expressed through heating and moving rock and none of that is going to escape the Earth.

Escape velocity is FAST, to get there you need sustained and carefully directed thrust along with some way to mitigate air resistance (like going slowly at first and then speeding up later, which no natural process will do). Even that infamous manhole cover almost certainly vaporized long before making it out of the atmosphere.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

If you're gonna get killed by Mount St. Helens, make your corpse as useful as possible:

quote:

On the morning of May 18, he was within a few miles of the summit. When the mountain exploded, Landsburg took photos of the rapidly approaching ash cloud. He then rewound the film back into its case, put his camera in his backpack, and then laid himself on top of the backpack in an attempt to protect its contents.[5] Seventeen days later, Landsburg's body was found buried in the ash with his backpack underneath. The film was developed and has provided geologists with valuable documentation of the historic eruption.[5]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

Refrigerator.

Refrigerator filled with way too much tannerite probably.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 5, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bistromatic posted:

Are torx screws a thing in the states? Because those are obviously the best.

Here those mostly show up on electronics and only serve to make it a pain to service them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ramadu posted:

why did it need to be on fire in order to inflate? this seems very anti-osha

The fire provides a brief surge of pressure to firmly seat the tire against the rim. It won't stay inflated like that for long, which is why they hook up the proper air hose at the end of the clip.

Relevant Mythbusters segment

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ol Standard Retard posted:

there can't possibly be an actuated release for the bucket attach point, right?

RIGHT??

In my uninformed opinion it looks like holding it in that position for too long caused something to snap that was weaker than it was supposed to be.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Speed 2 reboot looking good

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Powered Descent posted:

I once got my carry-on selected for a random explosives swabbing.

My carry-on was a mesh-sided cat carrier that clearly and obviously contained a living cat and nothing else.

I have no idea what they thought they were looking for.

Is this your cat?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A 2" flywheel inside every phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ak Gara posted:

Am I allowed to get blackout drunk in a self driving car?

[edit] I can see it now.

:cop: I'm giving you a DUI.
:v: Driving under the influence? But I wasn't driving!
:cop: I don't see another person in the car, sir!

And then a Judge rules AI as "a person" and then there'll be AI Rights activists and AI Voting protests and it's all downhill from there.

Only in a level 4 or higher car (the point at which the driver is not expected to ever have to take direct control).