Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Trying to unfuck a stuck chuck?

A foolish chuckfuckler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chitoryu12 posted:

I remember a pilot of I think a KC-135 whose canopy broke off in flight. Even going just above stall speed (about 200+ MPH), he compared breathing to “trying to drink from a firehose.”

Another fun one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390

An improperly secured window panel popped off and the pilot was sucked into the opening. The flight crew physically held him in place while the copilot landed, he recovered and returned to work.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/Ghost-Ship-trial-Jury-acquits-defendant-Max-14416802.php?psid=lw9ae

Ghost Ship verdict: Mistrial for person most directly responsible, acquittal for his assistant.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fallom posted:

It's definitely all of them

Absolutely all of them. Operating a drone makes you anonymous and untouchable (it's generally not legal to shoot them down or jam their signal or whatever) so people stop playing by social rules. The best you can do is try to figure out who's operating it but that usually requires scrambling your own drone.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dannywilson posted:

Not only would they not abandon the $2.5m truck for the $45k apiece tires, they actually go to great lengths to repair the tires themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfPuNQ5kK9I

Mining is so low margin most of the time, you gotta use every part of the buffalo.

Question- how did they decide that specific imperfection was a major issue needing correction and not the 500 other gouges and dents all over the tire?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ghostnuke posted:

They tried, but they could only find 30-50.

Should have waited another 3-5 minutes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rust Martialis posted:

MRI have a weaker field, but its bigger. The sample holder in the NMR machine is buried out of harm's way, and the field outside the magnet casing is really not THAT strong even on a 750 MHz machine. You can resist it.

The cavity on an MRI is an inch across, an MRI has to fit a human.

Wait, I thought NMR and MRI were literally the same thing, just rebranded because hospital patients didn't like the word "nuclear"?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there a reason the blocks have to stay that big?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Kickbacks aren't really a problem, those saws can cut warehouses, pipes, piers, sports cars, no problem

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That is indeed some serious poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Trials HD remake looking good

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sometimes trucks perch on wires when migrating, it's hard for predators to get up there

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Disengage the brakes, then jump when the display shows the lowest floor

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the "collective control" is basically the "do you want to go up, down, or stay level" control, there's no way to not have one.

It's like if they tried that stunt in a car on the highway and someone stepped on the parking brake.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nenonen posted:

She's like three to five meters away, are you the Slenderman?

That baby looks old enough to be mobile, so anything that isn't physically isolated is within arms' reach.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Taerkar posted:

A lot of people buy trucks entirely as a status symbol or vanity item rather than actually needing one for truck things, so is it really surprising that some of them have options that make them bad at actually being a truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvjoEf1XK8

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Humphreys posted:

I used to do it all the time as a kid on the farm. It was worse when it did explode due to using anfo or other stuff I stole that was used for stumping because the ants weren't dead...they were EVERYWHERE

Hyped for the Earth Defense Force/Farming Simulator crossover

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GotLag posted:

The real safety hazards are the chuds and MRAs in the comments on that video, Jesus Christ

The real safety hazard is reading youtube comments

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He's going to set up six spare wheels under them, then give the first truck a shove and they all magically fall into place.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bonelessdongs posted:

Putting your nuclear power plant on the internet is a power move that makes it infinitely easier to administrate from home and maintain with consumer hardware. Everyone else is just jealous they didn't think of it first.

So long as none of your tools are written in Java!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do you have to get out of the cab when the trailer buckles because it wasn't designed for that much lateral force?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most seagulls are technically independent contractors these days

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spatial posted:

Yes it is criminally negligent. Also it's completely and utterly bugfuck insane that anyone is allowed to test something like this on a public road. A giant multi-ton projectile with unknown behavioural characteristics with the public as the guinea pig. It's like testing a self-shooting gun in a public park.

ED-209, except with random members of the public instead of executives

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sex Skeleton posted:

This isn't something you can QA into a product. It would have required very careful and tedious analysis of the software design and implementation. Which is stuff that Agile developers don't really do as a rule. But on safety-critical systems it's negligent not to:

1.) Identify all of the paths in your code that can potentially lead to a hazardous condition due to logic errors.
2.) Identify all data that could lead to a hazardous condition if it is out of range or sensed or calculated incorrectly.
3.) Identify hazardous situations that your software could find itself creating, and work backwards through the logic in your code base to determine whether those hazardous situations could concievably occur.

Frankly there is no evidence that Uber ever did this. And the problem with using neural nets and AI to classify objects is that there is no concievable way to establish that those systems function reliably or correctly. Any experienced engineer of a safety-critical software system would have recognized the serious risks involved in feeding the output data from your impossible-to-verify AI classification system into your object detection and object tracking routines.

You cannot test safety or quality back into a piece of software if it was never developed to be safe software in the first place. By the time it makes it to QA if the architecture and design of the software does not adhere to quality or safety standards, no amount of testing will change the architecture or design to be of sufficient quality.

And don't get me started on how negligent it is to hire a safety driver but not provide any methods of ensuring they're paying attention to the road the entire time. Even putting a little "object classification checker" minigame on a tablet or HUD would have been better than what Uber did, which was nothing. The rail industry has had this figured out for decades, and it's also pretty loving negligent to not hire anyone who has experience designing those kinds of systems to design a system to keep the safety driver involved in the monitoring process.

For comparison, this is how to write perfect software when lives are on the line. It results in code that's pretty much entirely bug-free (not to mention on schedule and on budget) but it's utterly unlike commercial software development and no one trying to make a profit could work like that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cichlidae posted:

People are going to do what they want; you can't force them to get on a bus, at least not with the current political system. It seems like it's practical to allow self-driving vehicles once they demonstrably save lives relative to human drivers, so if we have the opportunity to replace something bad with something significantly less bad, why not? Waiting for perfection is just going to keep costing lives.

I dunno, sounds kinda accelerationist hehe get it cause we're talking about cars

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dread Head posted:

Where was this tree even going to land if it did not hit the house?

On the cameraman, looks like

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there a German word that means the feeling of an equal mix of relief and disappointment?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PathAsc posted:

Hi I'm here to be cockwatch.

Yeah, you can poo poo but leave the door open.

Wait, I need my glasses

Make sure you always follow COTO protocol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Aren't you supposed to keep the forks low when unloaded, specifically to avoid something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Yooper posted:

Am I missing something with that truck? I've never once expected my truck to survive a bowling ball impact on the side or rear window.

I believe the context is that he had just spent some time talking up the strength of the windows and tried to demonstrate it. Unclear why they decided bulletproof windows were a necessary feature of a pickup truck.