Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Captain Fargle posted:

The version we saw on TV was edited down considerably and if you watch the full match (which is available on Youtube if you want to look it up) there's a bunch of points where Pussycat gets stuck in the "flailing mode" I talk about in the episode and the only reason they were still in at the end was that Chaos 2 ran out of enough CO2 pressure to toss them OotA.
Yeah, that's fair, but the version that actually was shown I can only remember as containing more of Pussycat hurting Chaos 2 than the other way around. I'll blame the editors for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yeah, there's a lot of moments where you figure the judges were up to some kind of bullshit. In my re-watching of the series (currently halfway through Series 4), the two that stood out as infuriating to me were Hypnodisc going over 101 in a fight where the one thing Hypnodisc had going for it, its destructive capabilities, were completely stymied, and Bolt From The Blue losing to Firestorm when the match was mostly Firestorm trying to get under Bolt From The Blue and failing, and Bolt From The Blue actually had a shot at flipping Firestorm.

As for the video...

Oof, yeah, I saw this episode before it was uploaded to catch me up for the next recording session, and the moment I saw that self-flipping, I knew I was in trouble, because Timmy Mallet goes about as fast and handles as erratically as Enoshima. When it comes time for us to bust her out, things are going to get interesting, because I'm going to try like hell to make this work for Fargle.

The scrapyard is one of the better arenas to gently caress around in for rambots, because once you hit somebody down there into the crusher, they usually don't make it up again, making that crusher a massive pit, which is obviously great for rambots, which handle well - and can therefore avoid the pit easily - and have pushing power - making it easy to pit other bots.

Also, here are the intros for Hamburg and Sao Paulo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfl0ne0CNPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAcFbBpIj_w

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Robots have weird ideas of what's a good place for a party.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which TheMcD joins my roster of cohorts just in time for me to persuade a certain Welshman to start reading again.

(Note: Still not Time Cube)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I have nothing to say about this episode. I think it speaks for itself. One sidenote, I was kind of happy with the name I came up for Painkillers Mk. 1, that being "Pvt. Hit", since it clearly was just a garbage-bin Sgt. Bash. Definitely a better name than the ones I came up with for my Hypnodisc and Razer ripoffs, those being "Hypnoturd" and "Razerturd", even if those were much more descriptive of what the bot was like.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which Manic, McD and I debut the best robot.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've just realised from looking at your avatar that the civ 1 settler's supposed to be a wagon. I always saw a big Viking lad with two shields.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

The Curse is over! We have conquered Japan! Except for capture the flag I think :effort:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
It amuses me that it took the most flammable robot to win the explosive event.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure in that final round you were literally the last bot standing. All the other robots (including the house robots) were either blown up or drove off of the arena.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Still can't believe that of all the robots that could have won it, it ended up being Diotoir.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which Manic, McD and I are finally able to get the gently caress out of Japan forever.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Well I'm a bit behind

Del Boy
Chassis: Triangle
Power: 24V battery
Locomotion: 2 medium wheels and a caster
Armour: Titanium
Weaponry: Lifting arm and rear flywheel
Strengths: Good at flipping people, can self-right somewhat
Weaknesses: House Robots, being pinned against walls

Del Boy is one of our better attempts at Robot creation before we say "gently caress it" and tried out more of the pre-fab bots. The lifting arm is a weird weapon in that on most robots it either ends up to high up to lift things or so low that it clips through the ground, and speaking off clipping issues: how about that flywheel eh? It's pretty garbage for something that costs 3.5k to buy. They're supposed to need time to spin up before they start dealing damage but because of the issues with controlling robots, it's generally a better idea to go for the 4k saw instead, which doesn't require wind up.

Timmy Mallet
Chassis: Low Cuboid
Power: 4 Stroke pressurized petrol engine (high diff)
Locomotion: 6 Solid outer wheels
Armour: Kevlar
Weaponry: Pinsers and an Electric Hammer
Strengths: Super Fast
Weaknesses: Super poo poo to control

Well, there was an idea behind Timmy, grab them with the pincers then whack it with the hammer, unfortunately due to the top speed and high ground clearance it ended up just smashing into walls so fast it made Fargle's head spin. Maybe going for steel and hoping that the extra weight would make a difference would have been a better idea? Either way, it fit the title in being an unmitigated disaster.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Del Boy was a design that surprised me. I didn't figure it was going to do well at all, but all things considered, it was one of the more successful bots we've had so far. It's actually one of the few bots I've seen that can self-right with any shred of consistency, which is impressive.

Timmy Mallet... well, it's a bot alright. I've found that both the grabbing and smashing weapons are both atrocious to use in this game, so a bot that combines those two while also being too fast for Fargle to properly steer was a recipe for disaster. It might have made sense in reality, but this game does not play in reality.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which Diotoir continues to be the best robot.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I said it before and I'll say it again, the judges are absolutely atrocious. I have absolutely no idea how they arrive at their judgements - they seem to be entirely arbitrary, especially in the case of Style, Control and Aggression - and I have no idea how the judgements actually lead to the result, as seen when we beat The Axe Master on all counts and still lose. Really, having your fight go to the judges seems like a one-way ticket to Eliminationville.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I'm honestly starting to think the judges might just automatically rule against the player.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Your opponents are run by the computer. The Judges are run by the computer.

HMM.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Captain Fargle posted:

I'm honestly starting to think the judges might just automatically rule against the player.

No, I've won judges' decisions before, it's just incredibly rare that I do. There's some sort of logic behind it, but I'll be hosed if I can work that out.

The second game does it better - they actually give numbers to the judges' scores in the four categories, so you can just add them up and there's your ranking. How they arrive at those numbers seems just as arbitrary, but at least there's no more "beating the opponent in every way and still lose", just "thought you were beating the opponent in every way but the judges give you a 10 and your opponent a 100 on Aggression and you lose".

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

TheMcD posted:

No, I've won judges' decisions before, it's just incredibly rare that I do. There's some sort of logic behind it, but I'll be hosed if I can work that out.

The second game does it better - they actually give numbers to the judges' scores in the four categories, so you can just add them up and there's your ranking. How they arrive at those numbers seems just as arbitrary, but at least there's no more "beating the opponent in every way and still lose", just "thought you were beating the opponent in every way but the judges give you a 10 and your opponent a 100 on Aggression and you lose".

Which is entirely in keeping with the show.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Captain Fargle posted:

Which is entirely in keeping with the show.

This is the best Robot Wars game ever. Steering your robot is a nightmare, weapons are largely useless even if you can get them to hit, whatever you planned with your robot will not work out, your bot can just randomly die, and the judges loving hate you. Most accurate game ever.

EDIT: Essentially, we are those guys that come with a lovely robot, get murdered by a top seed, say that they're totally coming back for the next wars with a much better robot in the post-match interview and then never come back. Except since it doesn't cost us any real money or time, we do keep coming back, just that the robots don't get any better.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 8, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just love it when suddenly all the robots (including the house) just decide to all commit suicide together.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
I have to say, I am really enjoying this game, more for the commentator shenanigans then anything else really. I think my favorite moment thus far is in Adventure at about 30:30 or so Fargle just starts laughing up a storm because he finds the littlest thing funny and Jamie gives this sigh of just utter defeat, knowing he can't continue till the giggle fit is over.

Also, Fargle hopped up on pain meds is just plain funny. I knew something was wrong right away when I started the vid, but I thought he was completely smashed, not drugged up.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Ben Kasack posted:

I have to say, I am really enjoying this game, more for the commentator shenanigans then anything else really. I think my favorite moment thus far is in Adventure at about 30:30 or so Fargle just starts laughing up a storm because he finds the littlest thing funny and Jamie gives this sigh of just utter defeat, knowing he can't continue till the giggle fit is over.

Also, Fargle hopped up on pain meds is just plain funny. I knew something was wrong right away when I started the vid, but I thought he was completely smashed, not drugged up.

Drugged up on meds and drugged up on alcohol are interchangable.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Ben Kasack posted:

I don't drink so if you see me like that it's always because I'm drugged up.

With that said time for a late update!

In which Manic, McD and I discover poetry.

(Sorry this was so far behind schedule. I haven't been well.)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
One thing that's problematic for me with these videos is that at least for me they are kind of quiet. I always need to crank up the volume on both the video player and the main PC volume setting. And since otherwise I pretty much never need to change my volume so extremely I forget to lower it after and the next thing I play hits my ears like a truck.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

One thing that's problematic for me with these videos is that at least for me they are kind of quiet. I always need to crank up the volume on both the video player and the main PC volume setting. And since otherwise I pretty much never need to change my volume so extremely I forget to lower it after and the next thing I play hits my ears like a truck.

Hmm. That's odd they've always been fine on my end. (Excluding the handful of early episodes where the levels were out of whack) Has anyone else been having this issue?

Either way I can try playing around with the settings a bit next session.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Fargle posted:

Hmm. That's odd they've always been fine on my end. (Excluding the handful of early episodes where the levels were out of whack) Has anyone else been having this issue?

It's relatively minor so if nobody else has a problem then feel free to ignore it. I just need to remember to lower the volume back later.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So, German Robot Wars. There were three separate German Robot Wars things that weren't just pure dubs of the British show. There was a German dub for the Germany vs. UK special, which ended up a draw between a British robot and a Dutch robot, and there was a German dub for the European Championship, in which the German robot at least managed to win one round. With both of these, there were British and German versions, where the presenters, commentators and pit reporters differed. Also, there were three exclusive German episodes, two heats and a grand final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG_IVfDaFI8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgL0wHGjbCY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXDLRZ8x_KA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdliGrQFQkI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24UON7jvODw

Thankfully, everything has been archived, I presume by the same guy that archived all the other Robot Wars stuff. Here's the Grand Final. You won't understand anything, but robots smashing into each other is international. Robot quality is... well, not great. Black Hole, the robot that represented Germany in the European Championship, was pretty much the only good one. You put a "good but never great" robot like Bulldog Breed up against these and it would wipe the floor with them. Also, the presenting/commentating/interviewing isn't that great either. The commentating in particular can't even hold the remotest of candles to JP.

Also, definitely check out part 3 for a complete clusterfuck.

Also also, I am terrible at taking cues.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 12, 2016

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Captain Fargle posted:

I always have to crank VLC up to 180% volume, but thankfully it resets back to 100 every new video.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which the gang discovers the power of Poop.

-I've played with the audio levels a bit again. Let me know what you guys think of them now.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I apologize for nothing that was said in this episode.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That was an acceptable amount of poop.

Also the volume is much better for me, thank you!

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which Manic, McD and I poo poo our way to victory.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

It really is surprising how we've suddenly hit this real streak of good robots with which we can actually win poo poo (ha ha poo joke). I guess eventually, we had to start striking gold, and of course, I have my own explanation as for the sudden streak of success we're having with bots like Poop and Super Pooper, which I explain in the next video. I think. I do kind of lose track of which things I said when we're not recording and which things I said when we were indeed recording.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which I get upset about Thomas the Tank Engine.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Said it before, will say it again. Collateral Damage is the bane of my loving existence. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't win a single one of those tournaments in the end unless we unleash the tactical nuke known as Chaos 2.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

SPECIAL BONUS TIME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek7mXOPtJeM

Jamie may have refused to read Time Cube but that doesn't mean that McD and I won't do it as I test recording settings in Dolphin! Please enjoy this very special half hour of me destroying my throat while trying to pay at least some attention to Pokemon Colosseum.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

We're back from our Easter break and taking a special all access tour of a New York foundry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Does this game have crushing weapons and jaws? I remember in the other robot wars game, I think complete destruction, you could get both pincers and a crushing claw and the physics would completely break once you started on an enemy. Maybe try building that for your next robot.

• Locked thread