Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Alternate title: Crapheap Challenge.

So the recent news that the BBC is bringing back Robot Wars for a new series got me digging up and watching through the old episodes on Youtube, reveling in watching barely functioning amateur engineering projects smash into each other like I was 12 years old again. This, in turn, got me to dig out my old Robot Wars PC game from amongst the ever expanding piles of books and old video games that is my living space and now here we are.

Specifically what we're playing is this:

Which came out in 2001 around the time of the fourth series of Robot Wars. There is also a sequel "Robot Wars: Extreme Destruction" which I didn't know existed until doing research for this LP and I have since procured a copy of. If all goes well we'll be playing that too once Arenas is finished.

I'd like to preface before we begin that Arenas of Destruction is a 15 year old PC game. It has no windowed mode and took a lot of fiddling and messing around with old patches dredged up from the depths of the internet to even get it running. It's been difficult to record, has recurring audio issues and crashes fairly regularly.

It's a game all about building your own little combat robot by gluing together some configuration of pre-made parts and then smashing it into other robots. A few of the favourite contestants from the show make appearances as expensive unlockables and the ever popular House Robots patrol around the various arenas as extremely dangerous mobile hazards (Or optional boss fights depending on how you want to look at it.)

Although I absolutely adored it as a wee lad it's not really a very good game. The selection of parts and what you can do with them is frustratingly limited and there's only eight different arenas you can battle in, the last of which doesn't unlock until you beat the game. That said it's still a game about strapping a chainsaw to a lawnmower you found in the scrapheap and driving it around against other people who've done the same thing.

Let the Wars begin!

This has been an LP fraught with recording difficulties and more than a little incompetence on my part. Although I think they're amusing enough to be worth keeping around for folks who are interested, the early episodes are in a really weird and messed up resolution because it was the only way I could get it working at the time and the audio levels in the first recording session (Episodes 1-3) are completely hosed. If you don't want to be bothered with any of that skip ahead to the updates below where I finally manage to get my poo poo together and have the game and OBS co-operate.

with: Jamie The D and Manic_Misanthrope.

with: Jamie and Manic.

with: Manic and Mini Librarian.

with: Jamie, Manic and TheMcD

with: Manic and McD

with: Jamie, Manic and McD

with: Mini Librarian, Manic and McD. Technical issues resulted in very quiet audio for this episode. You'll have to turn your volume up. Super sorry.

with: Mini Librarian, Manic and McD. Still got the super quiet audio but given how angry I get in this one that's probably not a bad thing.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

SPECIAL BONUS TIME:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek7mXOPtJeM

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 23, 2016

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

You should try to build something like the Mythbusters' old robot that flung other robots so high and so hard that the event organizers gave them a prize after their first match and said "hey, your robot is cool and could probably win but we're afraid that you are going to toss another robot into the audience and hurt someone."

The closest thing to that is already in the game and it's called Chaos 2.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

With Crapocalypse living up to his name Manic, Jamie and I bring a new contender to the field.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 12, 2016

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

ElTipejoLoco posted:

What's your recording/encoding setup that your output video is only taking up a fraction of the screen, Fargle? Or are you avoiding cropping because the video looks awful stretched to fit, even using PointResize?

I'm recording the game and commentary using OBS and I know gently caress all about video editing tbh. This is just how things turned out due to the game being really old and loving my resolution up. It's direct game capture too which I thought would fix it but nope. :(

EDIT: Youtube keeps suggesting some kind of autocrappoing/resizing when I upload them but it really fucks with the quality so I don't want to do it.

Teledahn posted:

Also your levels are pretty goofy. I can barely hear the game or your co-commentators.

It's my first time making a VLP and I screwed up the audio balance in the first recording session. It's fixed after Episode 3.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 13, 2016

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Yeah, don't let YouTube do anything it offers to do on your behalf unless you want to laugh at the results.

For OBS you should be able to specify that it crop any kind of source automatically, but you'd need to know by how many pixels the input's off. Game source is just a hook that tries to detect the game's renderer/.dll and can sometimes result in a tiny source on old games, but maybe the problem is simpler and you just didn't click Edit Scene in OBS and stretch the edges to fit the preview window?

You might also wanna consider running the game in a Windows XP Virtual Machine if it's downgrading your resolution? OBS should still be able to capture it fine regardless, though, but maybe you can have an easier time window capturing the VM instead.

Give either the Tech Support Fort thread or the wiki a visit just in case, though, either might help you improve the videos in the future. It's not really a super problem but I figure you might prefer it if the videos were larger and stuff.

I hadn't considered a virtual machine. I'll probably play around with that at some point and see how it works out.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

The last of our dodgy audio updates. After a game crash Manic and I experience a happy accident.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

RickVoid posted:

Huh, okay. I was going to ask about the "Entry Fees", and if those were actually just gates showing that "Yes, I beat the previous tournaments and have this much cash available to spend on my 'bot". Can you replay earlier tournaments to earn more cash?

Yup. You need a certain cash threshold to unlock later arenas but once they're open they stay open provided you can afford the entry fees for the tournaments there.

The locations are considered actually considered separate from the tournaments held there in terms of unlocks.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Speaking of our Reigning Assault Tournament champion....

The Accident
Chassis:
Flat Disk
Power source: 2 Stroke scrapped Scooter engine
Mobility: 4 wheel drive medium differential Petrol motors
Armour: Kevlar. (Who throws away Kevlar? Seriously?)
Weapons: A pneumatic drill and twin spike set up at the front, lawnmower blade at the back.
Strengths: Wide array of weaponry from multiple angles, fairly resilient.
Weakness: Our worst handling robot to date. Weapons snap off easilly

Ho boy, this was our first champion. This thing. This... mismatch of parts and equipment. This is the start to all our success.
God loving dammit.
The Accident was us instead of doing the rational thing of maybe putting better armour on Rambo, or switching the lifting forks for a flipper since our low ground clearance was enough to get under most things without the lifting spikes, we scrapped the whole bot and started fresh on one of the dumbest robots to date. The twin spikes push people away from the drill, the lawnmower blade will snap off. The drive set up makes it really hard to control, even for this game when the engine starts off damaged due to salvage parts sucking. Yet it won.
Part of this is due to RNG. Cutthroat is our major bug bear in the early game as its front Carbon Blade Cutting Disk is one of the stronger simple weapons you can get, and it has it front and center. Other robots have it as well but their usually in the back, and the AI doesn't like to use rear facing weapons much, preferring to use them as a last resort to someone trying to rear-end them making it a much less deadly threat.
The other is that a 6 way free-for-all is actually somewhat easier. The AI's not malicious enough to all gang up on the player 5 on 1, and as such will usually fight it out among themselves, allowing the Accident to mainly stay out of major trouble and only go in when there's only 2 other participants left, all having sustained damage making it easy pickings even with our hodge-podge of weaponry.

"Throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks"

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Gertrude Perkins posted:

This is really fun so far (though I am looking forward to the nicer audio/video quality!) I was a diehard Robot Wars fan for about five or six years, but being a preteen for most of that time I was never particularly familiar with any of the humans involved apart from the presenters. You mentioned match-fixing, and I was wondering where the best places were for behind-the-scenes Robot Wars gossip, because that sounds amazing.

Just type "Controversy" into Robot Wars Wiki. That'll get you pretty much everything. There were quite a few instances over the course of the show's run.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

with Manic.

As promised in the vid here's Plunderbird shenanigans:

https://youtu.be/9XnfENigRi8?list=PL2DACD519E9B8FD66&t=543
https://youtu.be/3ik-rJttfK4?list=PL2DACD519E9B8FD66&t=39

This is their appearance in entry Series 4 so the one most concurrent to the LP. They are the best. :allears:

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

because for now we're retiring the Accident,

THAT THING IS NOT COMING BACK DAMNIT!

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which Manic and I declare Rambo to be King of the Vikings.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Technical help

Oooh! Thank you!

I already have up to Episode 6 recorded but after that I'll definitely implement this. That's a huge help.

EDIT:

In which I try to grind for money and Jamie very emphatically DOES NOT read Time Cube.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 18, 2016

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

JamieTheD posted:

Hehe, that's actually assuming I'm allowed to do any future interludes, for anyone, ever. :devil: . But I can safely say that my library has some truly diabolical stinkers in it. Let's see here... Got some Piers Anthony, those Orcs books (Y'know, the one with the unicorn horn dildo... Not even joking), Dragons of Summer Flame, some bad, but nonetheless apparently official Carnacki the Ghost Hunter fanfics... Yeah, if anyone wants a reading of a cringeworthy book, I come cheap. Although, to be fair, I also have some good stuff, like the Deptford Mice trilogy and Colin Kapp's Unorthodox Engineers. So someone's gonna be entertained, at some unknown point in the future. :v:

loving NOBODY IS GOING TO READ PIERS GODDAMN ANTHONY IN MY THREAD!

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

I just read this in your thread.

I want you to know that I hate you. Also kinda impressed but mostly hate.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which Jamie STOPS reading.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which Jamie, Manic and I attempt Tunnelling to Java.

So I'd like to say a few words about this. This game is old and temperamental. It was hard to get running, fucks with my resolution, has a lot of audio issues where the music just stops playing, it crashes on me repeatedly and I often have to manually end the game's process in the task manager when trying to close it. In this episode not only do I finally realise that I can turn up the video settings way higher than they were previously (It doesn't save correctly and I have to redo it every time I launch the game but whatever) but I also get the game and OBS to play nice with each other after some coaching from Jamie. (Jamie is much better at this stuff than I am guys. Holy crap.)

Anyway. Although I feel the previous episodes are amusing enough that they're worth still keeping around the difference in quality here is so huge that I can't help but feel like calling a do-over on the LP. As such I'm calling this video Episode 1.1 and I'll be going back to edit the OP and put the old episodes into their own little section.

Thank you for watching and hopefully from here on out it will be smooth sailing.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I've gone back and edited the OP to reflect the new structure as of the latest update.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which Manic, Jamie and I provide an expose on some of East London's most notorious gang leaders.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Spoilers.

I appreciate what you're doing but could you please edit out the videos for stuff that hasn't turned up in the LP yet? Thanks.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which Manic and I are joined by Mini Librarian to show off the robots we've unlocked so far.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Really, I'm surprised Spiny Norman wasn't more of a success given how well I find Enoshima to be doing. And hell, I play this game with a wireless controller! If anybody should be having steering problems, it's me.

I hope I'm not being overbearing. I almost feel like I'm backseat LPing here.

Honestly I'm thinking at this point that I should just bring you in on the next recording session.

PM me.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which Manic, Mini Librarian and I try to help Trotter's Independent Trading Co. expand it's business operations overseas.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

KennyMan666 posted:

So I just watched the new episode 3 and the talk of the series 4 finals reminded me how I on reviewing that found Chaos 2 winning was kinda bullshit. It even seemed to me that Stinger should have won against it, but Pussycat losing was even weirder.

Man, Stinger was such an interesting robot. Unless you could puncture one of its wheels (which were quite strong), throw it out of the arena or drop it into the pit, there was basically no way to deal with it. Not counting their first appearance where they drove themselves down the pit in their first round. It kinda declined after series 4 but fighting the reigning champion to a standstill has to count for something.

The show very blatantly played favourites a lot but I think Chaos 2 winning was pretty reasonable especially in the case of the final vs. Pussycat. The version we saw on TV was edited down considerably and if you watch the full match (which is available on Youtube if you want to look it up) there's a bunch of points where Pussycat gets stuck in the "flailing mode" I talk about in the episode and the only reason they were still in at the end was that Chaos 2 ran out of enough CO2 pressure to toss them OotA. (Out of the Arena). Between that AND the fact that it's saw got bent beyond use....

Anyway! I think we're due for another episode over here!

In which Manic, Mini Librarian and I go exploring.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 27, 2016

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Whoops, looks like you forgot to set it public.

I'm amazed at how much the house robots hate you suddenly.

Accidentally uploaded the wrong episode. It'll be fixed in a few minutes once Youtube finishes processing.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which TheMcD joins my roster of cohorts just in time for me to persuade a certain Welshman to start reading again.

(Note: Still not Time Cube)

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which Manic, McD and I debut the best robot.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which Manic, McD and I are finally able to get the gently caress out of Japan forever.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which Diotoir continues to be the best robot.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I'm honestly starting to think the judges might just automatically rule against the player.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

TheMcD posted:

No, I've won judges' decisions before, it's just incredibly rare that I do. There's some sort of logic behind it, but I'll be hosed if I can work that out.

The second game does it better - they actually give numbers to the judges' scores in the four categories, so you can just add them up and there's your ranking. How they arrive at those numbers seems just as arbitrary, but at least there's no more "beating the opponent in every way and still lose", just "thought you were beating the opponent in every way but the judges give you a 10 and your opponent a 100 on Aggression and you lose".

Which is entirely in keeping with the show.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Ben Kasack posted:

Also, Fargle hopped up on pain meds is just plain funny. I knew something was wrong right away when I started the vid, but I thought he was completely smashed, not drugged up.

I don't drink so if you see me like that it's always because I'm drugged up.

With that said time for a late update!

In which Manic, McD and I discover poetry.

(Sorry this was so far behind schedule. I haven't been well.)

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

One thing that's problematic for me with these videos is that at least for me they are kind of quiet. I always need to crank up the volume on both the video player and the main PC volume setting. And since otherwise I pretty much never need to change my volume so extremely I forget to lower it after and the next thing I play hits my ears like a truck.

Hmm. That's odd they've always been fine on my end. (Excluding the handful of early episodes where the levels were out of whack) Has anyone else been having this issue?

Either way I can try playing around with the settings a bit next session.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which the gang discovers the power of Poop.

-I've played with the audio levels a bit again. Let me know what you guys think of them now.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which Manic, McD and I poo poo our way to victory.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

In which I get upset about Thomas the Tank Engine.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

SPECIAL BONUS TIME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek7mXOPtJeM

Jamie may have refused to read Time Cube but that doesn't mean that McD and I won't do it as I test recording settings in Dolphin! Please enjoy this very special half hour of me destroying my throat while trying to pay at least some attention to Pokemon Colosseum.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

We're back from our Easter break and taking a special all access tour of a New York foundry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Aesculus posted:

Does this game have crushing weapons and jaws? I remember in the other robot wars game, I think complete destruction, you could get both pincers and a crushing claw and the physics would completely break once you started on an enemy. Maybe try building that for your next robot.

It does indeed but they're really pretty awful. The game models the hit detection for them very poorly and it makes it difficult to tell what's actually going on with them.

• Locked thread