Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, now you've got me playing this game too. It was quite embarrassing to be spending ages in the robot creator wondering why my robot wasn't eligible to start in the event, and it turns out that I was trying to use a drive that needed a petrol engine with an electric battery. Whoops. I had a couple attempts at the Assault tournament (figuring it to be the easier one because of the lower payout), switching out parts to try different things (including one embarrassing moment where I was attempting to flee from an opponent and drove over the pit just as it opened, pitting us both but awarding the match to my opponent because he fell second), and it looks like I've found a bit of a winner, because I managed to get through the tournament. Presenting Wotan I:

Just a big chunk of metal with a big flipper. Goes fast, but can't turn for poo poo. It's kind of a problem when there's only one opponent left because I can't get a good ramming speed in to then slam them into the wall and use that to flip them, but when there's multiple around, it seems to do real well.

Also, the announcer coding is just a god drat marvel. It really can't shut the gently caress up, it's incredible.

Looking forward to more of the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh god, that first match was pretty much a combination of my greatest hits in pit shenanigans. First being on the pit when it lowered and then fiddling around trying to get the opponent into it and driving into it myself, with the opponent following along just after it, but being eliminated first.

And yeah, the house robots are kind of goofy. Sometimes, they will just turn on the "gently caress this guy in particular" mode, will move at like triple the normal speed, and just not give a gently caress about the patrol zones anymore. It seems like sometimes it accidentially triggers the "house robots gang up on immobilized robot" mode for a robot that's still active, and then that guy is just hosed. I've had Bash just chase me around the arena at lightning speed before, it sucks.

EDIT: Also, gently caress Pussycat.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 13, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

RickVoid posted:

Just trying to get a handle on exactly how this game works. You just beat the Assault tournament, earning you an extra 1000 funbucks, and the Assault Trophy. Am I wrong in assuming that this just means that you now have a total of 1000 extra funbucks tacked on top of the 2000 you started with, and each tournament you win just increases your available money pool for 'bot customization? The follow-up question to which is: when we sell back parts, we are selling back at a 1:1 rate, right? You can't completely gently caress yourself out of your budget, right?

Yeah, that's how it works. However, there are also tournaments which have entry fees, so you can lose cash, but you'll always have the money that went into your robot.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

RickVoid posted:

Huh, okay. I was going to ask about the "Entry Fees", and if those were actually just gates showing that "Yes, I beat the previous tournaments and have this much cash available to spend on my 'bot". Can you replay earlier tournaments to earn more cash?

Yeah, you can, and you very probably will. The way things roughly work is like this:

- Play tournaments to win money.
- Use money to upgrade your bot.
- Use money to enter tournaments.
- Have money to unlock new areas to enter tournaments in.
- Win more tournaments.

So right now, a goal for Team Accident is to beat the Robot Wars Tournament, then gather 3000 bucks in the bank, which unlocks the North Sea arena with three more tournaments. Each tournament there has an entry fee of 500, so if you lose enough there, you have to go back to the London tournaments to get the money to unlock the North Sea tournaments again.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, like, the tournaments aren't bugged, they're designed that way. First you have the three-way, then the two "winners" of the three-way go up against each other. It's wrong, but it's designed that way. And the Robot Wars Championship is a really questionable choice of early-game tournament. I guess the World Championship is the tournament you want to win if you want to be on the level of your Chaos 2s, your Panic Attacks and so on.

Dead Metal is on the second tournament map, by the way - the oil rig. The house robots are set up based on map and number of robots, it seems, so for the Robot Wars set, we have Bash/Matilda/Killalot/Shunt, whereas for the oil rig map, we have Shunt/Dead Metal/Bash.

And you will not disparage the name of Psychosprout. :colbert: That thing was awesome in its stupidity, just like Jim Struts, the robot that won by doing nothing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Collateral Damage is the bane of my loving existence. It's a game mode based around the judges, and the judges are loving atrocious. Seriously, count yourself lucky every time a fight doesn't go to the judges, because you will lose that every time. So I just had two shots at that Collateral Damage tournament, I destroyed about half the barrels and some of the pipes, and I lose with a score of gently caress all. poo poo's loving broken.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Double posting because I've been fiddling about with recording this game myself, and I can now get the game to record nicely, filling the screen with its 1024x768 glory. I don't know if you use OBS Classic or OBS Studio, but I'm using Studio, and here's what I did:

1) Made a Game Capture source and locked it to the Robot Wars executable.
2) Went into "Output" in the options and fixed both my base and output resolution to 1024x768.
3) Maybe move the scene around so that it matches up with the game. I don't think you have to do this, because Game Capture should make it snap properly at the (0,0) coordinate of the game, matching the resolution should only ensure that there's no black bars to the right and the bottom.

I think those three steps should get it to play nicely. Also, here's the videos I did:

First, here's me going through the North Sea Sabotage tournament with my lovely robot, Gungnir II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k8Twmisnl8

Watch the first round, and take note of Alley Cat, the robot on the helipad. Then note how at the end of the round, it shows that that bot got the same score as I did. Then note how that's bullshit. Also note the wonderful commentary.

And here's Gungnir II going through the Slalom for shits and giggles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXEbdKb__U0

The only problem I have with recording is that my mouse cursor is corrupted. But the cursor shouldn't be on the LP videos anyway, I just have it to show where my bot is at the beginning.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

What the gently caress was that? I mean, it's a story about dickbags in space getting lost and poo poo, that much I could follow, but what exactly is it?

Also, I'm finding that when building a robot in the early game, it's prudent to eschew weapons in favor of speed, pushing power and armor, then maybe getting a srimech or lifting arm, something that can flip for cheap, and just ramming opponents into walls with your superior drive, getting under them with your wedge shape, then either using the patented Series 2 masterpiece strategy of "just let the house robots kill them" or shoving them straight into the wall and spazzing out with your lifting tool, which seems to be the easiest way to actually flip somebody.

I've only gotten into building robots that can actually do damage once I've had enough cash to afford all the neat things in Gungnir II, that being titanium armor, six of the best available electric drives and the 4000 bucks saw. There's a lot of other weapons that don't seem that useful - like the Razer claw. That claw seems great, but it's inviting a lot of trouble. Unless you get a great grip in just the right spot, you're going to take counter damage from the robot you're gripping, and you're also leaving yourself open to a right kick in the arse by the third robot bopping around the arena, which is why Rambo got its arse handed to it rather quickly in the first three attempts.

The "ram to flip" strategy seems primitive, but it's good because it's a quick in-and-out if things go well. The big flaw is that if you end up unable to flip somebody or their srimech works and things go to the judges, you will always, ALWAYS lose, as opposed to just always losing if you're using a damage-doing robot, but in the early game, no self-righting robots exist.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Mad Bomber is weirdly broken, too. The AI will just not react unless the bomb comes near, in which case they will start running away. If you have superior speed, it makes it rather easy, since the AI will only react once it's too late.

The Japan arena is pretty goofy, too. I think there's some sort of satellite interference that makes the house robots just randomly come out and attack people, which is just great, as you've seen by Dead Metal kamikaze attacking you off the rooftop and down into the streets. This is why you lead them over the skylight, that way you'll get at least one house robot and two competitors crashing down through it.

Also, Capture the Flag runs three minutes, and whomever holds the flag after time runs out wins. It's not who holds it the longest. That really means that you should concentrate on taking out opponents rather than holding the flag. Let them fight over the flag while you kill them off, then win at the end when there's nobody left.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I think the system is the way it is because there are no separate heats with two fights each, but rather a full set of "bouts", and I don't think this game does actual seeding (it mentions seeding, but I don't think it has any impact), so it just throws the same guy at you again.

Also, I would love to name my robot Malcolm Peter Brian Telescope Adrian Umbrella Stand Jasper Wednesday (pops mouth twice) Stoatgobbler John Raw Vegetable (whinnying) Arthur Norman Michael (blows squeaker) Featherstone Smith (whistle) Northcott Edwards Harris (fires pistol, then 'whoop') Mason (chuff-chuff-chuff-chuff) Frampton Jones Fruitbat Gilbert (sings) 'We'll keep a welcome in the' (three shots) Williams If I Could Walk That Way Jenkin (squeaker) Tiger-drawers Pratt Thompson (sings) 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head' Darcy Carter (horn) Pussycat (sings) 'Don't Sleep In The Subway' Barton Mainwaring (hoot, 'whoop') Smith, Independent Candidate of the Very Silly Party, but alas, the developers put the kibosh on that. Really, you should be able to record your own names of potentially infinite length.

And yeah, I don't think the Srimech works the way it should. I couldn't get any of my robots that had it to self-right. It just does not work for some reason. I have no idea what they were thinking with it. Weapons don't really work for it either. Rex Garrod is very disappointed with your Srimech technology, game.

This game is very realistic, thinking about it. You can plan all sorts of poo poo for your robot, then you use it and everything that could go wrong, goes wrong. And then Hypnodisc smashes your face in for good measure.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, you couldn't have painted him blue! The team of Kronic The Wedgehog would have sued for copyright infringement!

And yeah, this is what I was talking about with the super-fast push bot that just flips people over by going into them really fast.

I'm not sure, but are you still using a caster on your robot? That might be what's causing the thing to turn when it's not being moved by you, and removing it might also make the turning a bit less erratic. You need a caster early, when your turning is poo poo, but when it's good, a caster might turn that "good" into "holy poo poo where am I going".

Also, the thing with the different arenas is that the announcer has an introduction for every arena, explaining the stage hazards. But of course, if you disable the commentary, as one might be wont to do, you also disable that, leaving you a big high and dry. I'll record that stuff and edit it into this post so you won't have to bother.

EDIT:

Robot Wars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf3xGecfRZY

North Sea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u-U3tSXfsk

Japan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utf_lEjs-HQ (turns out they don't explain it in the intro, what the hell - but I'm still certain that it's intentional, because it only happens on this map, and it would happen on other maps if it was a bug)

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 21, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Captain Fargle posted:

I appreciate what you're doing but could you please edit out the videos for stuff that hasn't turned up in the LP yet? Thanks.

Oh right, forgot about that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The thing about Thor is that he is impossible to flip. At least, I can't do it. Pussycat is similar, but Pussycat, while it can be "immobilized", in that it can get into that "laying dead on the ground" state you got into, but somehow will not enter the official "immobilized" state because the saw is somehow still doing something and therefore you don't count as immobilized, meaning that unless somebody hits it again and gets it to move again, it will go to the judges and you will lose, regardless of whether you are Pussycat or you are going up against Pussycat, because the judges are bullshit. I think that sentence used to be two sentences at some point and now it's some weird Frankensentence. But yeah, Pussycat is hosed a bit. Hooray for more things that just bug out. The opponent's AI probably went dead because the game figures that you should be immobilized because you're not moving, so the AI does nothing as to not re-right you by accident, but you never get put into the "immobilized" state, so everything just locks up.

Thor, on the other hand, just can not be flipped at all. Believe me, I've tried. A lot. He will always roll around again. Even without the hammer, it doesn't even need it as a srimech, the thing itself is capable of srimeching without an actual mech from pretty much every position, which is amazing.

The oil rig is supposed to be some sort of arena for "illegal/unsanctioned robot wars", according to the description. That is loving incredible, and probably explains the complete lack of attention to audience safety.

Also, because I've finally stumbled upon a robot I'm really happy with, here's a design of my own. Maybe you can try it out if you want to? I feel like audience design sharing should be a thing in this thread, what with robot design being the main thing the game is about. I've won a lot of tournaments with this robot, and actually managed to defeat every house robot in the Ultimate Challenge (what I've dubbed the Roger Plant Challenge). I made videos of that, but I'll hold off posting them until you show off the Ultimate Challenge in the LP.

Anyway, the queen of despair, world champion, victor of the Roger Plant Challenge, Enoshima:

Chassis: Low cuboid - 100 credits, 15 kg
Locomotion: 6 medium outer pneumatic tires - 70 credits, 1 kg each
Power: 4 stroke petrol engine 5hp (pressurized) - 1500 credits, 16 kg
Drive: 6 differential and high ratio gearboxes - 100 credits, 2 kg each
Weapon: 2 rending spikes, one at the front, one at the back - 250 credits, 3 kg each
Weapon: 2 triple spikes, one at the front, one at the back, below the rending spikes - 250 credits, 3 kg each
Weapon: 6 15cm titanium ramming spikes, four at the front, two at the back, flanking the main spike weapons - 150 credits, 1 kg each
Armor: Titanium - 5000 credits, 12 kg
Extras: German flag (so I know where the gently caress the front and the back are more easily) - 40 credits, 1 kg

Total: 9560 credits, 79 kg (Super Heavyweight - downgradeable to Heavyweight by removing the triple spikes and flag if necessary).

Strengths: Very agile, massive pushing power, perfect for slamming robots into walls and flipping them like that, redundant spikes ensure constant offensive output.
Weaknesses: Can go crazy sometimes, incredibly fiddly to control, very susceptible to flipping, runs into serious problems with bots with good srimech systems that can counter-flip.

This is essentially a refinement of Spiny Norman - swapping internal tires for external ones to attain better handling and swapping out the lovely half cylinder for a more solid low cuboid are the main changes, but there's also minor ones like going to high ratio gearboxes instead of medium ones for even more pushing power. I didn't think this would work this well, but it does for some reason. The massive amount of redundant spikes seem to make just slamming into enemies and shoving them a serious strategy that puts out a lot of damage, so even srimech-capable bots aren't that much of a problem. I'll have to test this bot against Chaos 2, though. I'll probably get wrecked. Then again, who doesn't get wrecked by Chaos 2?

Here's some videos of Enoshima in action on the Alpha Viking Open and the Rooftop Punishment tournament to show how I use it (check out the Rooftop Open finals for a nice bit of robot toreador action with Dead Metal):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_CsJZvlPjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgxxJnuc9XE

Really, I'm surprised Spiny Norman wasn't more of a success given how well I find Enoshima to be doing. And hell, I play this game with a wireless controller! If anybody should be having steering problems, it's me.

I hope I'm not being overbearing. I almost feel like I'm backseat LPing here.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, there's a lot of moments where you figure the judges were up to some kind of bullshit. In my re-watching of the series (currently halfway through Series 4), the two that stood out as infuriating to me were Hypnodisc going over 101 in a fight where the one thing Hypnodisc had going for it, its destructive capabilities, were completely stymied, and Bolt From The Blue losing to Firestorm when the match was mostly Firestorm trying to get under Bolt From The Blue and failing, and Bolt From The Blue actually had a shot at flipping Firestorm.

As for the video...

Oof, yeah, I saw this episode before it was uploaded to catch me up for the next recording session, and the moment I saw that self-flipping, I knew I was in trouble, because Timmy Mallet goes about as fast and handles as erratically as Enoshima. When it comes time for us to bust her out, things are going to get interesting, because I'm going to try like hell to make this work for Fargle.

The scrapyard is one of the better arenas to gently caress around in for rambots, because once you hit somebody down there into the crusher, they usually don't make it up again, making that crusher a massive pit, which is obviously great for rambots, which handle well - and can therefore avoid the pit easily - and have pushing power - making it easy to pit other bots.

Also, here are the intros for Hamburg and Sao Paulo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfl0ne0CNPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAcFbBpIj_w

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I have nothing to say about this episode. I think it speaks for itself. One sidenote, I was kind of happy with the name I came up for Painkillers Mk. 1, that being "Pvt. Hit", since it clearly was just a garbage-bin Sgt. Bash. Definitely a better name than the ones I came up with for my Hypnodisc and Razer ripoffs, those being "Hypnoturd" and "Razerturd", even if those were much more descriptive of what the bot was like.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Still can't believe that of all the robots that could have won it, it ended up being Diotoir.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Del Boy was a design that surprised me. I didn't figure it was going to do well at all, but all things considered, it was one of the more successful bots we've had so far. It's actually one of the few bots I've seen that can self-right with any shred of consistency, which is impressive.

Timmy Mallet... well, it's a bot alright. I've found that both the grabbing and smashing weapons are both atrocious to use in this game, so a bot that combines those two while also being too fast for Fargle to properly steer was a recipe for disaster. It might have made sense in reality, but this game does not play in reality.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I said it before and I'll say it again, the judges are absolutely atrocious. I have absolutely no idea how they arrive at their judgements - they seem to be entirely arbitrary, especially in the case of Style, Control and Aggression - and I have no idea how the judgements actually lead to the result, as seen when we beat The Axe Master on all counts and still lose. Really, having your fight go to the judges seems like a one-way ticket to Eliminationville.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Captain Fargle posted:

I'm honestly starting to think the judges might just automatically rule against the player.

No, I've won judges' decisions before, it's just incredibly rare that I do. There's some sort of logic behind it, but I'll be hosed if I can work that out.

The second game does it better - they actually give numbers to the judges' scores in the four categories, so you can just add them up and there's your ranking. How they arrive at those numbers seems just as arbitrary, but at least there's no more "beating the opponent in every way and still lose", just "thought you were beating the opponent in every way but the judges give you a 10 and your opponent a 100 on Aggression and you lose".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Captain Fargle posted:

Which is entirely in keeping with the show.

This is the best Robot Wars game ever. Steering your robot is a nightmare, weapons are largely useless even if you can get them to hit, whatever you planned with your robot will not work out, your bot can just randomly die, and the judges loving hate you. Most accurate game ever.

EDIT: Essentially, we are those guys that come with a lovely robot, get murdered by a top seed, say that they're totally coming back for the next wars with a much better robot in the post-match interview and then never come back. Except since it doesn't cost us any real money or time, we do keep coming back, just that the robots don't get any better.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 8, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So, German Robot Wars. There were three separate German Robot Wars things that weren't just pure dubs of the British show. There was a German dub for the Germany vs. UK special, which ended up a draw between a British robot and a Dutch robot, and there was a German dub for the European Championship, in which the German robot at least managed to win one round. With both of these, there were British and German versions, where the presenters, commentators and pit reporters differed. Also, there were three exclusive German episodes, two heats and a grand final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG_IVfDaFI8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgL0wHGjbCY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXDLRZ8x_KA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdliGrQFQkI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24UON7jvODw

Thankfully, everything has been archived, I presume by the same guy that archived all the other Robot Wars stuff. Here's the Grand Final. You won't understand anything, but robots smashing into each other is international. Robot quality is... well, not great. Black Hole, the robot that represented Germany in the European Championship, was pretty much the only good one. You put a "good but never great" robot like Bulldog Breed up against these and it would wipe the floor with them. Also, the presenting/commentating/interviewing isn't that great either. The commentating in particular can't even hold the remotest of candles to JP.

Also, definitely check out part 3 for a complete clusterfuck.

Also also, I am terrible at taking cues.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 12, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I apologize for nothing that was said in this episode.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

It really is surprising how we've suddenly hit this real streak of good robots with which we can actually win poo poo (ha ha poo joke). I guess eventually, we had to start striking gold, and of course, I have my own explanation as for the sudden streak of success we're having with bots like Poop and Super Pooper, which I explain in the next video. I think. I do kind of lose track of which things I said when we're not recording and which things I said when we were indeed recording.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Said it before, will say it again. Collateral Damage is the bane of my loving existence. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't win a single one of those tournaments in the end unless we unleash the tactical nuke known as Chaos 2.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, seems like we haven't brought this up in the thread yet, soooo... the Storm 2 controversy. For the record, having now seen all seven main series, Storm 2 is my favorite bot as far as robots themselves go (of course, for character and the like, the Plunderbird boys take the top spot).

Storm 2 was essentially a refined Tornado design. Tornado still had weapons, but Storm 2 came to the same conclusion I came to in Arenas of Destruction: "You know, who the gently caress needs real weapons anyway? Let's just make our robot really god drat fast and bash them to poo poo using the walls!" And boy howdy, was it successful. Outpacing everybody, Storm 2 was the first and only one to slam an opponent out of the arena without using a moving weapon, doing so to the Steel Avenger in the heat finals.

Storm 2 started out by winning the New Blood competition in Robot Wars Extreme 2. However, the producers at Mentorn were worried about how "boring" Storm 2 was, being an even more distilled version of the rambot than previous rambots.

Mentorn blog posted:

What the audience wants is a robot that when they see it on display or just entering the arena, they think...WOW! Rambots never really have that appeal, as they’re usually just boxes on wheels. With robots with moving weapons, there is a sense of theatre and drama; when sparks fly from the attack of a flywheel, or a robot flying in the air after an attack from a flipper. All that rambots seem to deliver is a push and a shove, yes they win the battle, but it doesn’t win our imaginations, or the fans'.

So a rule was added, which required Storm 2 to add an active weapon. They responded by grudgingly adding a lifting arm - and really, it was blink-and-you-miss-it. They hardly ever used it because they didn't need it, and this would be the source of more controversy later. Anyway, Storm 2 blazes through its heat with authority.

The semi-finals were coming, and Mentorn was apparently getting worried.

Storm 2's website posted:

Our emphatic win in the heats of Series 7 hadn't gone un-noticed by the crew and the company that make Robot Wars. Worried by Storm II's cruise to victory in the New Blood competition they had brought in a new rule (to try to exclude heavily armour machines like Storm II) from taking part. Now Storm II was looking as unstoppable as it did during the New Blood competition of Robot Wars Extreme, and the rumours around the pits was that Mentorn (the company that make Robot Wars) weren't happy. The last thing they wanted after Tornado's win in Series 6 is another 'box' winning the competition.

Storm 2 faced down with The Grim Reaper in the first match of the semi-finals, and nothing much controversial going on here. However, this is where the controversy really started brewing. The Storm 2 boys would install side skirts on their robot to combat the flipper of The Grim Reaper, and Fargle will probably agree with me when I say that making your robot more like Panic Attack is never a bad idea. Really, at this point, Storm 2 had become an invertible Panic Attack, just one that didn't use the lifting mechanism and instead went really loving fast.

It was a good fight, and Storm 2 went on. Technical problems almost forced Storm 2 to resign, but some help by Team Tornado saw them fixed in time for the fight against Firestorm V.

The fight against Firestorm V was where the controversy really started to get going, though you wouldn't see it on TV. Storm 2 took excellent advantage of what they thought to be a weakness of Firestorm - bash up against their front enough and they would no longer be able to go under Storm 2, and as a flipper, that essentially means being a useless hunk of junk. With Firestorm severely weakened, Storm 2 disposed of them, but there was controversy afoot - reportedly, the producers claimed that since Storm 2 did not use their active weapon, they should be disqualified. However, for all the poo poo we give the judges, they refused to be part of that bullshit and let Storm 2 go through.

Then comes the first fight of the Grand Final - the fight against Tornado. Now Mentorn starts getting really desperate. Storm 2 fights well, the pit gets activated, and Tornado goes down the pit. Or at least that's what you would have thought! If you were there, you would have seen Tornado go down the pit, and the pit suddenly raising, allowing Tornado to escape! On the TV, they instead edit it in such a way that suggests that Tornado was on the pit before it went down and made a "miraculous" escape. The fight goes to the judges even though it shouldn't have, but Storm 2 would not be denied, and they go through to the big Grand Final, to face Typhoon 2. And that's when things got really crazy.

So, as you would expect out of a matchup like this, Storm 2 uses its speed to constantly pressure Typhoon 2 and keep it from spinning up, but eventually, Typhoon 2 manages to get away and actually spin up. Then, Typhoon 2 smashes into the arena wall and breaks the poo poo out of it, knocking the crap out of its disk and stopping it from spinning. Cease was immediately called and the damage was repaired. However, then, controversy strikes again.

Storm 2 website posted:

Typhoon 2 were allowed to FIX their weapon system so that they could spin up. At this point Team Storm decided this was all too much and lodged a protest with Mentorn. Typhoon's disk wasn't spinning up properly long before they hit the wall - so why should they be allowed to repair damage mid fight.

The answer that Mentorn gave was that they would have to 'Edit out' the arena being smashed as it wouldn't be appropriate to show that on TV and thus they had to 'maintain continuity'. We were assured that this wasn't being done to be unfair, but was being done to maintain consistency in the show. We pointed out again that Typhoon had been having problems long before they hit the wall, but it was clear Mentorn didn't care.

Of course, the editing out was never actually done. It seems like one last-ditch effort to keep Typhoon 2, which had been essentially taken out of the fight, in the running. To somehow manage to keep Storm 2 from winning. However, while they tried to hide their fuckery, there are some things that you can actually see that were done. For instance, on the restart, Typhoon 2 was already spinning at full speed, even though they totally shouldn't have been allowed to do so. So Storm 2 keeps up the attack and keeps doing damage to Typhoon 2, but Storm 2 takes some armor plate damage as well.

The fight goes to the judges, and Mentorn throws out their final gambit - they tell the judges that there was no damage done to Typhoon 2, even though there was severe internal damage done to it. With that false information, the minor damage that was the armor plate lost on Storm 2 turns into the major factor, and Typhoon 2 wins on the judges' decision.

Storm 2 website posted:

Mentorn the producers of the show had at last managed to stop Storm II from winning, they'd apparently tried to throw us out for not using our active weapon against Firestorm. They'd brought the pit back up to let Tornado get back into the fight against us, and they'd finally resorted to allowing a robot be repaired mid-fight in the name of 'continuity' and totally ignoring all the damage that had been done to Typhoon 2, to concentrate on an armour panel and it's supports.

Afterwards when the judges found out that Typhoon had lost drive chains, and the extent of the repairs they had made behind the scenes Team Storm got apologies from all of them - one in writing.

The way the system works is after a fight Mentorn hand the judges a piece of paper detailing the damage to each robot. On the sheet for Typhoon 2, Mentorn had listed 'no damage'. Mentorn showed footage of the judges inspecting the damage from the robots, and you saw part of the front scoop of Storm II being given to the judges, but no-one told them that Typhoon had lost drive chains from inside the robot. It was sad day for Team Storm, but it did get us automatic qualification into the World Championships.

Storm 2 got completely and utterly hosed, and it was the cherry on top of the poo poo cake that was Series 7. Like Fargle said, don't watch it. It's terrible.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh hey, now I get to do this for once!

Towa:

Chassis: Bevelled wedge - 500 credits, 15 kg
Locomotion: 2 standard tracks - 500 credits, 5 kg each
Locomotion: Caster - free, 0 kg
Power: Yuarta 400 24V sealed lead acid battery - 800 credits, 9 kg
Drive: 6 Drakonvlast 800W 24V DC electric motor - 350 credits, 3 kg each
Weapon: Large built-in flipper - 1600 credits, 7 kg
Armor: Titanium - 5000 credits, 12 kg
Extras: Green Jungle color

Total: 11000 credits, 71 kg (Heavyweight)

Strengths: Fits the tournament restrictions, can kind of push, can theoretically self-right (?)
Weaknesses: Can’t do any actual damage, just pushes bots around, flippers are poo poo in this game

Pre-Mortem Design Notes: The second Green Machine was built for the sake of winning the Russian flipper-only tournament. Primarily, this thing wins by going past Shunt to the top, opening the pit, then shoving other bots in it or hoping the opponents drive over the mines and/or into Sir Killalot’s clutches. Much like her brother machine, Fujisaki [ed. note: the machine I built to win the Liberty Lightweight tournament - I planned on busting that one out too, but Super Pooper was up to the task], Towa won her tournament on the first try (at least after failing the first time and the redesign that ensued afterwards) without any real testing, which is always nice.

Post-Mortem: Turns out all the design in the world doesn't help with the x-factor that is somebody else driving your machine. Especially when that somebody is Fargle. Still, I'm going to take Fargle saying that Towa was something he could steer well enough as a victory.

EDIT: While we're at it, here are the intros for the next two arenas we've seen:

New York: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-x5luauI4
Siberia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vChLwBHCrGc

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 7, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Also, in which we get really really confused about Chaos 2's backplate.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Captain Fargle posted:

THAT'S what stand out to you about this ep?

I spent like half the time of the recording staring at the Robot Wars wiki page for Chaos 2, so yeah, that's what stood out to me the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

In retrospect, the successful self-righting on my part was less about the srimech actually working and more about Shunt shoving me in just the right way. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, though.

• Locked thread