Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
I left a 700 euro DJI Phantom drone in the shop and while running back to grab it a screwdriver in my bag stabbed a can of beer promptly filling the transmitter (which i only noticed because the backs of my legs were now wet) rendering the entire thing unusable anyway. Then I remembered hearing about this magical contact cleaner stuff so I opened the TX up and went to town with alcohol and contact cleaner. I bought the type of contact cleaner that basically melts plastic and probably would have been okay if Id used alcohol only.

My ex-partner and I had one of these automatic lasers for the dog but it pissed me off that the bottom lip stopped the laser hitting the floor and blocking it off. Held it out the window and started dremeling away and lo and behold, molten shard of plastic in the eye.

Sent an imgur link of an obese naked man to a customer accidentally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
my dad once put an M80 in a metal pipe, lit it while holding the pipe, and expected it to rocket out of the pipe. It did not.

A vegetarian ex would use a homeopathic retarded cold remedy whose main ingredient second to bullshit is duck offal

some coke dealer i know uses pearlescent spraypaint to cut and improve the look of his poo poo.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

amityville anus posted:

some coke dealer i know uses pearlescent spraypaint to cut and improve the look of his poo poo.

How does that even work? I assume he's not actually spraying it onto a pile of coke and making poo poo go everywhere, but even if you poured it on slowly wouldn't it just be a big wet clump that dried hard?

Or does he make a special batch just to show people, like when restaurants use those wax desserts

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Not that long ago I was stabbing an empty milk box with a knife on my desk abesent mindedly while I watched youtube. Knife ended up about a centimeter deep in my palm.

Did it again a month later.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.
In organic chem lab I removed a beaker of 14M ammonia from under the fume hood for a brief moment. Instant regret.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Not that long ago I was stabbing an empty milk box with a knife on my desk abesent mindedly while I watched youtube. Knife ended up about a centimeter deep in my palm.

Did it again a month later.

Playing with a knife while destroying a pair of raggedly ol' sweatpants, while watching Battlestar Galactica. Ended up slicing open my shin. Didn't get stiches, so I get a fat scar.

A couple years later, I'm working out by doing jumping up on these metal pylon things. Turns out they don' make them anymore because what happens is: I hosed up my timing during my set, fell, and sliced open about an inch of my other shin to about the fat. Also didn't get stiches for that one. Look ma, matching scars!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cumslut1895 posted:

at a guess, I'd say it insulated the heat generated by the setting reaction to your skin

Cumslut1895 posted:

at a guess, I'd say it insulated the heat generated by the setting reaction to your skin

Some types of glues have a very strong exothermic reaction when they touch cotton. Most modeling "superglue" is in this family. And a lot of paper is made from recycled cotton / etc.

Try not to ever spill cyanoacrylate glue on blue jeans like I did. I'm exceedingly lucky I got out without any major burns and only one pair of on-fire jeans. That's my contribution to the thread! :gonk:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

"Man, this wasabi was barely spicy at all. I wonder what's wrong with it?" Takes a big whiff from jar.

I don't know why the flavor was lacking but it was still burned like hell when taken nasally. The only witness eventually married me despite the fact that I'm obviously an idiot.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff
A lot of people in this thread need to never be around sharp things again...

Me and a couple cousins decided to have a gallon of wine race, like we all were trying to drink a separate gallon of wine.

I totaled a car and got a DWI about 100 yards from my house because I was loving around with the cd-player trying to find the song "Intoxicated" by Ol' Dirty Bastard. Admittedly, drunk driving is abhorrent, but that is a really great song.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
When I was in my first Chemistry lesson with practical experiments, I obeyed the instructor, just not in the way they intended.

I was heating a test tube, and accidentally dropped it, and burned my hand.

The instructor said "Quick, run it under cold water!"

So I ran the test tube under cold water.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

In organic chem lab I removed a beaker of 14M ammonia from under the fume hood for a brief moment. Instant regret.

Oh boy. While working in a high school as a science technician, I found an unlabelled bottle and tried to identify it by smell.
880 Ammonia.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Weldon Pemberton posted:

For some reason, when I was in 6th grade we had to make a weird multiple choice quiz about ourselves and get another random pupil to take it. I had a question like,

The kid got the wrong answer because I was a huge Pokemon nerd and he assumed I would never make a Pokemon faux pas. The actual answer is c). I think my parents ended up paying £400 to get Francis the neighbour's windshield repaired. My friend Andy has kept the Charizard to this day and gloats about it whenever possible. I'm basically just telling this anecdote because it's funny to me that it was believable that I had managed to set a door on fire with a candle.

I could list dozens of dumb things I've done through the years, such as try to heat milk in an electric kettle, draw a cock on a bully's notebook and then get caught immediately because I couldn't stop laughing, or throw bleach on a big cockroach (there was nothing else around to kill it and I have a phobia of them) and end up bleaching the linoleum in a weird cum-spatter pattern. I seem to scar less easily than most people, which is fortunate because otherwise I'd be covered with burn scars from cooking. The amount of times I've heard something like "you must have done this on purpose because I know you're not stupid" is quite high. People don't realize that being absent-minded is a separate thing altogether.

I've never owned an electric kettle. Why is it a bad idea to heat milk in one?

Once in organic chemistry lab, I picked up a bottle of toluene by the lid. Dumbass who used it previously hadn't screwed it in tightly, of course. I screamed "Crud!" as toluene splashed all over me, and the floor. The TA, to his credit, was right there at my side almost instantly, asking what I had spilled. He gently led me out of the pool of toluene, which was melting the soles of my shoes, gave me his lab coat, and instructed me to go into the storage closet and take off my jeans and outer clothes. Fortunately I was wearing a lab coat- because I'm not a dumbass, and a sweater underneath- because it was loving cold out, so none got on my skin. Granted, ultimately it was my dumbass classmate's fault for not screwing on the lid tightly, but why in the 9 hells would I think it was a good idea to pick up a jar of dangerous chemicals by the lid?! :psyduck:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

One time, a young me and my girlfriend were sitting around in a park after the 4th of July. We found a bunch of firework remnants, and I discovered part of a firework. Some kind of tiny roman candle.

I stuck it in the ground at an angle away from us, and lit it.

"Don't do that!" yelled my girlfriend, who then reached out to grab the firework!

"Don't do THAT!" I replied, pulling her hand back just as the firework went off.

It just kind of went "pop".

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I can't count the number of tea kettles, pots, and pans that I've melted because I forgot the stove was on. What's worse with the tea kettles is that even if they were the whistling ones, I would take the whistler out because the sound was annoying. I bought a Japanese water heater and haven't burned kitchenware since! ... Except when I put a pizza in the oven, fell asleep, and it was pitch black when my SO came home and found the apartment and building hallway filled with smoke. In my defense the stupid oven doesn't have a timer that turns it off after a set amount of time.

Ever since then when I want frozen pizza I break it up into small pieces and use my toaster oven because it DOES have a timer so there's no chance of me burning the house down.

In any case I should not own stoves.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm assuming it's because it'll curdle due to getting too hot.

Slime has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Feb 14, 2016

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

artsy fartsy posted:

How does that even work? I assume he's not actually spraying it onto a pile of coke and making poo poo go everywhere, but even if you poured it on slowly wouldn't it just be a big wet clump that dried hard?

Or does he make a special batch just to show people, like when restaurants use those wax desserts

You're asking a lot of questions for somebody who doesn't pearlescent spraypaint their coke

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
None of you go in a chemistry lab ever again. Good god.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

Silver Falcon posted:

Ever bring milk to a boil in a sauce pan?

With the electric kettle I imagine milk foam just spraying out the spout.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Altivia posted:

I once tried to put out a stick of incense by pinching it between my fingers because, hey, it works with candles!

I tried to do this once. Not a whole stick, but an ember had broken off and fallen and I figured it was small enough that a wet finger would do the trick.

When I was 9 or 10 I tried making cinammon toast for myself. By putting butter and cinammon sugar on the bread before it went in the toaster. Then when it came out blackened and smoking, I decided it was just a fluke so I did it again :downs:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Gabriel Pope posted:

When I was 9 or 10 I tried making cinammon toast for myself. By putting butter and cinammon sugar on the bread before it went in the toaster. Then when it came out blackened and smoking, I decided it was just a fluke so I did it again :downs:

I was just about to ask what's wrong with doing it that way, then I remembered there's a difference between a toaster and a toaster oven. Putting the butter, cinnamon & sugar on before cooking works with a toaster oven, and that's always what we used when I was growing up.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Silver Falcon posted:

Once in organic chemistry lab, I picked up a bottle of toluene by the lid. Dumbass who used it previously hadn't screwed it in tightly, of course. I screamed "Crud!" as toluene splashed all over me, and the floor. The TA, to his credit, was right there at my side almost instantly, asking what I had spilled. He gently led me out of the pool of toluene, which was melting the soles of my shoes, gave me his lab coat, and instructed me to go into the storage closet and take off my jeans and outer clothes. Fortunately I was wearing a lab coat- because I'm not a dumbass, and a sweater underneath- because it was loving cold out, so none got on my skin. Granted, ultimately it was my dumbass classmate's fault for not screwing on the lid tightly, but why in the 9 hells would I think it was a good idea to pick up a jar of dangerous chemicals by the lid?! :psyduck:

Isn't this like, rule number three? Just behind "Don't drink the chemicals" and "Wear shoes, numbnuts." Luckily, toluene is fairly benign outside of the possible cold burns from it evaporating off the skin. There's far worse in the typical chem fume hood. Some of it not splashed all over the walls. I recall there was some rather massive, yellow, bromine stains in a particular fume hood after someone left a reflux far, far too hot and it erupted like a geyser.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

In my freshman year chemistry class, the TA who taught the lab once reassured me that Niels Bohr also set a record for most broken glassware in a chemistry lab.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Fruit fly labs usually have incubators that you can set to a nice warm temperature to make the flies breed faster. Sometimes they get infested with mites, which will destroy the flies because the mites think flies are delicious. There are a couple of ways to clean an incubator that's been infested. Most have a "decontamination" setting that cranks the heat up so high that nothing can survive, and once it cools down you set things back to normal and enjoy your clean incubator. Another way is to wipe down the interior thoroughly with 70% ethanol, but this requires you to let the incubator dry out for a day so all the vapor dissipates.

A lab at my school got one such infestation. No problem, thought the PI, I'll do what I used to do in my old lab: wipe the inside down with ethanol and crank up the heat. This worked just fine in his old lab because the incubator wasn't airtight so the fumes could escape. But the incubators here...

The door of the incubator got embedded in a wall of sheetrock on the other side of the room. The fire wasn't terrible but since the firefighters had to hose everything down a lot of irreplacable lab notebooks were destroyed.

My boss also injected himself with ethidium bromide but just squeezed the wound for a few minutes to bleed out whatever got in. He's still alive so idk

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

coronatae posted:

My boss also injected himself with ethidium bromide

How do you do this by mistake? :psyduck:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

But... I'm a chemist!

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

How do you do this by mistake? :psyduck:

We do our maxipreps with an overnight CsCl spin, so he was pulling an EtBr-saturated DNA band out of a heat-sealed tube with a needle. The needle slipped! v:saddowns:v

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

coronatae posted:

My boss also injected himself with ethidium bromide but just squeezed the wound for a few minutes to bleed out whatever got in. He's still alive so idk

Holy poo poo, that's um unsettling.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Squirted a dollop of glue from a hot glue gun into the palm of my hand because how hot could it be?

Very, as it turns out.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

Holy poo poo, that's um unsettling.

You should have seen our health and safety report this year.

Other stupid poo poo from my youth: we did some mock relay races as a track practice one day. I was pulling ahead pretty far but the guy I was passing the baton to didn't realize that he needed to get a running start before I handed it off. So he stood there stock still and I did my best to keep the gap between me and the next runner while braking enough to not bowl him over. I did this by veering to one side and basically falling on myself while passing the baton. I skidded a good meter or two across the track. My left hand broke the fall but in the skidding I tore up most of it, got blood blisters and jagged tears and almost puked trying to clean the wounds. I lost all use of that hand for about a week while it healed, which sucks when you're a teenage girl who cares A Lot about your hair. That kid went to all the track meets, you think he'd notice that you get a running start when you're handing off.

Was also on cross country and sometimes we were hooligans. Whole lotta trespassing. The football team had these big tractor tires they used in their workouts, and we stole one. The high school is in this kind of dip in the land, so we took the tire to the highest hill, put someone in the tire, and pushed it down. We got in some poo poo for that. The guy in the tire got pretty scratched up, too. Ah, youth

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Going along with stupid high school sports things: I was a lacrosse goalie, in outdoor lacrosse. The only required pads were the cup, the chest protector, the helmet, and the neck guard + the gloves. Everything else was exposed to flying rubber balls that regularly get hurled at 100+ mph speeds. By the end of the season, I had a bruised peripheral nerve in my lower left leg which meant that cold days were flat out unbearable. Bruised nerves suuuuuuck.

Of course, end of the season, I get called up to varsity because I had improved tremendously. Coach puts me in goal towards the end of a stomping, and one of the shots hits me right in that nerve. Apparently I went down like a sack of potatoes. I came to when I got some ammonia salts straight to the face.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

A White Guy posted:

Going along with stupid high school sports things: I was a lacrosse goalie, in outdoor lacrosse. The only required pads were the cup, the chest protector, the helmet, and the neck guard + the gloves. Everything else was exposed to flying rubber balls that regularly get hurled at 100+ mph speeds. By the end of the season, I had a bruised peripheral nerve in my lower left leg which meant that cold days were flat out unbearable. Bruised nerves suuuuuuck.

Of course, end of the season, I get called up to varsity because I had improved tremendously. Coach puts me in goal towards the end of a stomping, and one of the shots hits me right in that nerve. Apparently I went down like a sack of potatoes. I came to when I got some ammonia salts straight to the face.

:allears: they actually checked on you when you collapsed? Aww. I laid on the ground for nearly ten minutes with a dislocated shoulder until I forced myself up to have a chat with coach. Never played football again. Nope thanks.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

At one point when I was in first grade and spending a time visiting my grandparents, I forgot how to spell the word 'of'

I don't know how. I had to grab the Wheel of Fortune pc disc to figure out how. :psyduck: I was a dumb child.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Wedemeyer posted:

:allears: they actually checked on you when you collapsed? Aww. I laid on the ground for nearly ten minutes with a dislocated shoulder until I forced myself up to have a chat with coach. Never played football again. Nope thanks.

There's a ref in Lacrosse who stands right by the cage and makes sure attackmen (ie, opposing team dudes with the ball) don't violate the exclusion zone (the 2 yard perimeter around the goal). Goalies rarely leave that zone unless they're moving the ball up the field, so to see a goalie go down like a sack of dildos is kind of unusual. Also helped that I fell directly on the top of the ball. The referee probably realized something was wrong when he rolled me off it.

Also, since I'm posting goalie freude, the varsity goalie who I learned everything from was this fat dude who also happened to be the god of the cage. Dude once saved something like 13 shots in a row when we went down like 4 dudes after a half-time brawl (long story). We were warming up with shots on the goal, and I was in a cage on the other end of the field getting warmed up. All of the sudden I hear this thunderous CRACK! like someone had just dropped a ceramic toilet off a building. I look down the field and the coach is like "Holy poo poo, are you okay Max?". Dude took a lacrosse ball straight to the testicles. Thankfully he was wearing a cup, but the ball hit literally smashed it right down the middle.

A Festivus Miracle has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Feb 17, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RareAcumen posted:

At one point when I was in first grade and spending a time visiting my grandparents, I forgot how to spell the word 'of'

I don't know how. I had to grab the Wheel of Fortune pc disc to figure out how. :psyduck: I was a dumb child.

Don't worry, I did that sometimes as a kid. I would mix up C and K and know that it was wrong but not why.
Now it only happens when I'm exhausted.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Don't worry, I did that sometimes as a kid. I would mix up C and K and know that it was wrong but not why.
Now it only happens when I'm exhausted.

The problem is that I'd talk a lot to my friends in school so my mom put a stop to that by making me read a lot of books and then I got into reading for a while. It's not like you're allowed to pull a gameboy out in the middle of class after all. So I felt really dumb when I found myself unable to figure out how to spell that.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
The day after I finally got my braces taken off, I decided to ride my sister's hunter, Missy. I used her saddle since mine really didn't fit Missy's back properly. We had a whole arena full of jumps we had built, because she and my best friend loved jumping. Anyway, we came to this one we made out of tires and peeler cores. Missy took off nicely, I was in position, when the left stirrup leather broke and I landed facefirst on the top log.

Broke all my front teeth.

After that I stuck to my Tennessee Walkers.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Christ, the dumbest thing I ever remember doing was just making a waterslide in the basement when I was like six.

Although back in college some of the people in my geology class got their rock hammers confiscated by the TSA on a class trip.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'm an EMT, so I have seen the aftermath of a lot of dumb poo poo.

The one that comes to mind is some dumbass was drunk and went climbing up a tree in his backyard. Now, it was dark, so he couldn't SEE the river he wanted to jump into, but he knew it was there!

He learned to look before he lept with the help of a rock right to the sternum. Broke it right in half. :gonk:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Khazar-khum posted:

The day after I finally got my braces taken off, I decided to ride my sister's hunter, Missy. I used her saddle since mine really didn't fit Missy's back properly. We had a whole arena full of jumps we had built, because she and my best friend loved jumping. Anyway, we came to this one we made out of tires and peeler cores. Missy took off nicely, I was in position, when the left stirrup leather broke and I landed facefirst on the top log.

Broke all my front teeth.

After that I stuck to my Tennessee Walkers.

I rode my Percheron too close to a main farm road right after I got him. He was from the Amish and totally cool with farm equipment and big stuff, but I didn't take into account the nearby tree farm and big trucks speeding by that were covered in terrifying, bouncing, loud and leafy trees. My dumb rear end wound up in a ditch but at least I didn't get hurt. The horse didn't even go far, just jumped the canal and waited for me in the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I once cut a set of DNA samples out of gels with the help of a UV lamp. The camera setup was making the cutting a little awkward, so I stuck my head inside the curtain and cut them out that way. There was no heat, so I didn't think anything about it until the next day, when I woke up with the worst "sun" burn of my life, complete with untouched skin around my eyes (at least I was wearing goggles). My boss had some fun with me over the next couple of days.

I'm lucky all I got was some pain out of that whole event. From then on I kept my sample sizes small and always used the camera, no matter how awkward.

• Locked thread