Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

I saw someone in a lab open up a can of powdered SDS and for some reason, take a great big sniff before he used it. He screamed quite a bit while his mucuous membranes dissolved, but they grew back. Eventually.

I'm glad I never got to see poo poo like this happen in my chem labs :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

cock hero flux posted:

In chem lab me and my partner were heating something to get it to react and using a fluid thermometer to check the temperature and make sure we had it right. It seems like it's not heating up at all so we turn the burner all the way up to make it go faster. After about 30 minutes with it on full blast we realize two things. The first is that there is in fact no fluid in the thermometer, the bulb at the bottom is snapped off and the line we thought was the fluid is in fact just a line drawn on the thermometer. The second is that the mixture that was supposed to turn clear has instead turned black and the entire lab now smells like a tire fire.

In this vein, I have seen many a rotovap dramatically bump because they forgot to add boiling chips. It's quite amazing to watch both the student and the lab assistant's face when this happens.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Silver Falcon posted:

I've never owned an electric kettle. Why is it a bad idea to heat milk in one?

Once in organic chemistry lab, I picked up a bottle of toluene by the lid. Dumbass who used it previously hadn't screwed it in tightly, of course. I screamed "Crud!" as toluene splashed all over me, and the floor. The TA, to his credit, was right there at my side almost instantly, asking what I had spilled. He gently led me out of the pool of toluene, which was melting the soles of my shoes, gave me his lab coat, and instructed me to go into the storage closet and take off my jeans and outer clothes. Fortunately I was wearing a lab coat- because I'm not a dumbass, and a sweater underneath- because it was loving cold out, so none got on my skin. Granted, ultimately it was my dumbass classmate's fault for not screwing on the lid tightly, but why in the 9 hells would I think it was a good idea to pick up a jar of dangerous chemicals by the lid?! :psyduck:

Isn't this like, rule number three? Just behind "Don't drink the chemicals" and "Wear shoes, numbnuts." Luckily, toluene is fairly benign outside of the possible cold burns from it evaporating off the skin. There's far worse in the typical chem fume hood. Some of it not splashed all over the walls. I recall there was some rather massive, yellow, bromine stains in a particular fume hood after someone left a reflux far, far too hot and it erupted like a geyser.

• Locked thread