Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A few years ago I was distilling absinthe at a friend's house in preparation for a party. The mental picture you have in your mind is wrong; I was in a kitchen in a suburban apartment, using lab equipment that I bought for this purpose, and had the distillation flask on a stand in a water bath on the stove for better temperature control. Ethanol boils a little above 78°C and I was watching the thermometer closely - 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, oh, it's superheating because I forgot boiling chips. What can I find in the kitchen that isn't soluble in ethanol? salt! perfect! I popped the stopper and thermometer out, put a funnel in the neck of the flask, and tossed the salt in. It couldn't have been more than a second, but as I saw the salt hit the funnel I realized what I had done and jumped back and to the side. The salt provided nucleation points for the superheated liquor and 3/4 of a liter of absinthe flash boiled and flew through the area that had only a second earlier been occupied by my face, then quickly condensed and began dripping from the ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

None of you go in a chemistry lab ever again. Good god.
In my freshman year chemistry class, the TA who taught the lab once reassured me that Niels Bohr also set a record for most broken glassware in a chemistry lab.

• Locked thread