Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Want friends on your adventure? Use the Goon Spreadsheet and add your name and Friend Code and people can add you.

Hooray! :toot: It's the sequel to the 2013 (or 2014 if you were some sorta North American I guess) hit JRPG, Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies, Bravely Second: End Layer!

Game is out now in both EU and US! There's also a demo with some small rewards to carry over.

Two years have passed since the vestal of wind, Agnés Oblige, and her crew saved the world. Since then, Agnès has become the Pope of the Crystal Orthodoxy. The fates of her three companions, Tiz, Ringabel, and Edea... we'll find out as we play.

In the demo, we join our new friends, The Three Cavaliers:
Yew

Nikolai

Janne

And our heroine Magnolia

As they are sent to the city of Al-Khampis by the Pope to solve some strange happenings over there.

This is mostly just an excuse to get you to once again play around with some new jobs and the excellent Brave and Default combat from the previous entry. Store up attacks, unleash them all later, you know how it works. A new system is the ability to chain battles together: if you clear out a fight in one turn, you get the option to immediately start a new fight, for increased rewards. Beware, because you keep your BP between battles. We've also got new jobs, new weapons, new abilities, and all that good stuff!

Some other changes are the ability to save sets of job-configurations for your party, allowing you to easily switch between different strategies with just a few button presses. You can now also change the encounter rate easily, by simply clicking the R button on the world map. Handy!

And no there's apparently nothing like what happened in Chapter 5 and onwards in the original don't worry about that.

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm hype for this game and all but can we trade it for Fire Emblem?

On topic, Catmancer should really be Nekomancer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Square-Enix treats Americans like basic bitches and makes us wait until April to play even the demo. :smith:

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Wizard seems pretty powerful. Hammer'd spells + Full Charge = ridiculous single target damage

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I said come in! posted:

Square-Enix treats Americans like basic bitches and makes us wait until April to play even the demo. :smith:
I got so excited to play it after work today when I saw someone else post and then it turned out it was for EU only :smithicide:

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

What do we know about the jobs that'll be in the game? Are old jobs coming back or is it all new ones?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There will be old jobs and new jobs but I'd prefer it if you guys don't list out all the new ones or at least hide them behind spoilertags, at least for these first weeks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Yukari posted:

What do we know about the jobs that'll be in the game? Are old jobs coming back or is it all new ones?

All of the old Jobs are coming back except Spell Fencer, Salve-Maker, Spiritmaster, Arcanist, Vampire, and Conjurer.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

All of the old Jobs are coming back except Spell Fencer, Salve-Maker, Spiritmaster, Arcanist, Vampire, and Conjurer.

That's really sad, Conjurer I could do without but all those other ones were really cool, especially Spell Fencer. And if there's no Vampire, does that mean no blue magic?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ventana posted:

That's really sad, Conjurer I could do without but all those other ones were really cool, especially Spell Fencer. And if there's no Vampire, does that mean no blue magic?

Cat mage is the new monster ability class.

Why are we spoiler tagging classes, is that a thing here?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Terper posted:

There will be old jobs and new jobs but I'd prefer it if you guys don't list out all the new ones or at least hide them behind spoilertags, at least for these first weeks.

That's why.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Loving the demo so far!

I was a bit bummed out that NA got fire emblem first but after playing the demo I am hyped for this now!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

On behalf of the US I will trade Fates for this game.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

mabels big day posted:

On behalf of Europe I accept.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
If I had the choice I'd rather have Fates earlier, but oh well. Thankfully there are enough great games being released in Europe in the next couple of weeks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ventana posted:

Some of the job classes are fused with others while others have their niches taken over by new classes.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I hope you're all constantly checking in with Tell Me More Agnès because it's pretty cute.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In the demo, finish out the bestiary for a play bonus and some cute characterisation.

I'd probably trade Bravely Second for Fates too, but both games seem like they'll be very good. I've played a fair chunk of JP Fates so I know that's a very good game really. I know little of Second other than things you experience from 100%'ing the demo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mabels big day posted:

I was at least somewhat curious in Fates until I learned how gigantic of a cash grab it is.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I was at least somewhat curious in Fates until I learned how gigantic of a cash grab it is.

It's 3 games for the approximate price of 2, not sure how that constitutes a cash grab.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Oh drat, you can save up to ten different party configurations (jobs/abilities/equipment) so you can switch between them without a lot of menu-diving. And three different sets of commands to use for auto-battle! These are some great quality of life improvements here

Edit: and I just noticed that first thing is in the OP, welp

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've only played a few minutes but I'm loving it so far. It's like being reunited with an old friend.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's 3 games for the approximate price of 2, not sure how that constitutes a cash grab.

It's not three games, it's one game with content locked away that you have to pay additionally for.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I said come in! posted:

It's not three games, it's one game with content locked away that you have to pay additionally for.

Each version of Fates has more content than Awakening.

Anyway, to be more on topic, are there any classes from Default that don't return, whose rolse aren't already filled by a new class?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

it is in fact three separate games worth of campaign

how mad did people get about pokemon

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Another great quality of life feature is a passive skill that makes buffs always go first regardless of turn order, I can tell I'll get a lot of use out of that.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Can you touch faces in this? Asking for a friend.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I heard they messed with the VAs for returning characters , can anyone confirm?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really liked the first game but stopped in the endgame around the same place I imagine most people who stop do.

I felt I had enough combat out of it, though by the end I was skipping pretty much every random encounter, which made dungeons only boring instead of just tedious.

I loved the art style for the background areas

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I heard they messed with the VAs for returning characters , can anyone confirm?

Braev and Kamiizumi are apparently voiced by different people.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Looper posted:

it is in fact three separate games worth of campaign

how mad did people get about pokemon

More of an Oracle of Seasons / Oracle of Ages situation than a Pokemon situation to be honest.

So all the jobs that have been removed have something else that fills a similar niche, right? Do the returning jobs have the same skills or did they get new toys?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Do the returning jobs have the same skills or did they get new toys?

It's the later, new classes are completely new though they do some of the things the removed ones did.

Demo talk, do you get any more jobs in this? I'm mostly feeling the lack of a healer.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Loving Nikolai's level up moves!

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

I said come in! posted:

Revenge for how they treated EU/AUS during the 90's.

Yes Squaresoft one of these days I would like to play Chrono Cross, Super Mario RPG and Xenogears, you absolute fuckers.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Mario RPG is on Wii/wiiu virtual console at least.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

drat it Magnolia, learn how to hit. :mad:

nerd_of_prey posted:

Loving Nikolai's level up moves!
Nikolai is pretty awesome until you look at his base strength stat. :negative:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Is there any sort of interaction with the previous game?
I mean, if you have a cleared save file from Default, does it affect anything from Second?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Not in the demo, not sure about the full game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Demo talk, do you get any more jobs in this? I'm mostly feeling the lack of a healer.

The first asterisk boss you beat gives you access to black and white magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Has Nothing Ventured always had a taunt effect? Or was that added in Bravely Second?

• Locked thread