Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

mabels big day posted:

Finally got around to getting this game and I'm about to get started. Having not played the first I imagine the game's recaps will be enough to understand whats going on.

My only question is do I have to deal with party members leaving or joining, or swapping them out at all, or will the party members I get stay consistent for most if not all of the game?

Characters only join or leave the party in the prologue chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The very first thing you see when you start up the game is a recap that spoils everything major from Default, so take that into consideration. Plus it makes some callbacks that only really resonate if you're familiar with the characters from the first game. And as far as I remember, there's no gimmicks with splitting the party.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Awesome, thanks everyone. I hate party splitting gimmicks. Already watched the intro so no going back on getting spoiled.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I'm in proper post game and does doublecast not work with spellcraft? It looks like it only works if Ventriloquism is used.

In other news Astrologer + time Mage getting your whole party to +200% attack and hit count makes every attack do 9999 which is great with triple wield if you're not just casting 8 meteorains always

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So I'm in proper post game and does doublecast not work with spellcraft? It looks like it only works if Ventriloquism is used.

By doublecast do you mean Chainspell? If so, it works fine with spellcrafted spells as long as you have the MP to cast them twice.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I can't wait for the fourth game in the series to come out and reveal that I am DUMB for hoping there was a secret message hidden on the covers of the diaries.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
I feel like I missed something incredibly obvious. I just beat Chapter 4 and it's blatant the game wanted me to New Game+ But... Nothing is different. I'm 107 hours into the game and... do I really have to repeat the entire game over again? I'm in "Chapter 2" again. Obviously the New Game+ worked, since I have all my stuff and exp and JP and jobs... but I was expecting something different in the Kaiser fight, but I could only attack. Blowing through encounters with a flick of my wrist in New Game+ is fun and all, but it feels like it's wasting my time. Am I just incredibly dumb or did I miss something really obvious?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
think about what game mechanic the game itself is named for

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Agent Boogeyman posted:

I feel like I missed something incredibly obvious. I just beat Chapter 4 and it's blatant the game wanted me to New Game+ But... Nothing is different. I'm 107 hours into the game and... do I really have to repeat the entire game over again? I'm in "Chapter 2" again. Obviously the New Game+ worked, since I have all my stuff and exp and JP and jobs... but I was expecting something different in the Kaiser fight, but I could only attack. Blowing through encounters with a flick of my wrist in New Game+ is fun and all, but it feels like it's wasting my time. Am I just incredibly dumb or did I miss something really obvious?

You made a mistake and need to try again.

Minor hint: Your objective is to defeat the Kaiser. When do you fight the Kaiser?

Moderate hint: In NG+, you start with an ability that you did not start with in a normal game.

Major hint: What is the title of the game you are playing?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Additional tip: you don't have to go all the way through again to do what the other posters are telling you. You can do it now.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

Oh. Well that certainly explains why I completely missed it. It was an option that wasn't possible to me at the time: I had already burned all my SP against Anne. Her fight was a bitch and a half That's kind of a huge oversight in my opinion. I'm playing on Hard, in case you're wondering, so it's not like I'm inept at games. Just extremely unfortunate it seems. I'm sure I would have figured it out eventually though.

Edit: Although, granted, my blunder did give me the opportunity to Get the asterisks I missed the first time around so I guess I'll have more of an advantage than someone who figured it out right at the start.

Agent Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 10, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
When you initiate that fight, you are actually given 1 SP to pull it off with. I don't blame you for missing it. It was a neat gameplay twist, but incorporating what could be written off as just a microtransaction thing into the gameplay was a misstep on Silicon's part.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The thing that threw me off is that it works differently on a mechanical level than Bravely Second does for the entire rest of the game: you can't use it while a turn is playing out, it has to be when the command selection menu is up. I tried using it while the Kaiser was attacking and when it didn't work I assumed that wasn't the answer.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

During that point in Chapter 4, the NPCs also give hints about what to do, some blatant, some more vague.

I do love the intro to Chapter 5 a lot, which more than makes up for things.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I do like how in the tail-end of Chapter 4 if you wander around and talk to the NPCs it's heavily implied that the towns' guards are engaged in fighting off the Ba'al. :black101:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Really? Huh, glad to hear they're busting their ba'als off.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So interestingly I figured out what I was meant to do.

The problem was that I had no idea that Bravely Second was mapped to a button and always assumed it was a touch button on the touchscreen. I got to the fight, tried to Bravely Second, but couldn't find out how to do it, concluded that I must have been wrong and then played an hour of the game without realising that I'd been correct to begin with

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So interestingly I figured out what I was meant to do.

The problem was that I had no idea that Bravely Second was mapped to a button and always assumed it was a touch button on the touchscreen. I got to the fight, tried to Bravely Second, but couldn't find out how to do it, concluded that I must have been wrong and then played an hour of the game without realising that I'd been correct to begin with

It's also a button on the touchscreen. It has a S.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

many johnnys posted:

No, that just takes you to the screen where you can buy SP drinks.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

many johnnys posted:

That button isn't there in the first fight in New Game +

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a way to make the chompcraft game fun?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Just shut your brain off for a bit and wonder how the gently caress you just spent two hours straight on it.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

Just remember why you're doing Chompcraft and the fun will come: To make every cutscene as ridiculously silly as possible by equipping everyone with Washcloths.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a way to make the chompcraft game fun?

It's basically a skinner box. Don't do it if you don't want to.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

Me, yesterday:

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Chompcraft is the most bizzare addition to a game ever? Why do we need a sweatshop sim?
Me today, after a 30 minute session:

quote:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I haven't really delved into it much since I heard that the game can freeze there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Marogareh posted:

I haven't really delved into it much since I heard that the game can freeze there.

The game can pretty much freeze anywhere. I believe the Japanese version eventually got a patch to fix that, but no such luck for the NA and EU versions (which are pretty much the exact same game.) Just save often and leave autosave on.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dr. Fetus posted:

The game can pretty much freeze anywhere. I believe the Japanese version eventually got a patch to fix that, but no such luck for the NA and EU versions (which are pretty much the exact same game.) Just save often and leave autosave on.

I have the NA version, at chapter 5 right now with a shitload of grinding and always turning the game to sleep instead of turning the power off, and I've never had a freezing problem.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Must be nice. Mine froze between five and ten times. Autosave did a lot of work.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

Mine froze twice waaaaay back when I first started playing, both times when trying to summon someone. However, I have not had that problem crop up at all since, and that was about two months ago. Maybe it was a stealth patch?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I keep forgetting SP is a thing even though its a major story mechanic and I really should take more advantage of it.

I got 224k off of a Dragonlord Strike once.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I keep forgetting SP is a thing even though its a major story mechanic and I really should take more advantage of it.

I got 224k off of a Dragonlord Strike once.

Remember to send your Bravely Second attacks! I had a Friend Summon do 55k to Mephilia in the second world, winning the battle nigh-instantly with just a few prior attacks. :owned:

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

My bravely second attack is a regular attack.

Edea 200% attack power possessed by a fencer swings four katanas for stupid damage and usually crits.

A good attack.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I forgot what attack I used but I got the 999,999 and it was cool.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

playing this again, I can completely ignore this moon poo poo right? It's all streetpass stuff

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

mabels big day posted:

playing this again, I can completely ignore this moon poo poo right? It's all streetpass stuff

If you use "Update Data" it gives you five free internet friends every 24 hours. Which makes it trivial to complete.

Otherwise if you never intend to use Special Moves, yeah, you can ignore it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

mabels big day posted:

Even without streetpass you'll get 5 new moon dudes per day from the 'update data' option. That's more than enough to update facilities and fight Ba'als.

You don't have to do either, but facilities give/upgrade your special attacks and let you buy items for the Patisser and Catmancer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Might as well post here instead of shoving all my Bravely Second chat in the RPG Thread.

I started last night on Hard and I'm enjoying the bosses so far (granted I'm not very far yet), but the random battles are tedious as hell. Does that get better or worse as the game goes on? I'm always weirdly resistant to changing the difficulty level on the fly in most games I play--there's no reason for it, I just usually pick a difficulty and stick to it--but if the random battles aren't going to get less tedious I'll probably go ahead and set it to Normal until I know there's a boss coming up.

I'm sure eventually I'll end up with my Bravely Default Chapter 5-8 strategy of "turn off encounters entirely and just do a couple of serious grinding sessions" but for a while I'll probably leave them relatively "normal."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The random encounters are far tougher than the bosses could hope to be on hard. Yeah the game's difficulty is weird when it comes to battles, and that doesn't change as the game goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Maybe I'll just have to constantly swap the difficulty around, then.

Do they always have a save point before a boss? I'd like the difficulty to be on Hard for every boss battle if possible, so I suppose my plan will be to just swap it to Hard every time I see a save point.

• Locked thread