Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Pretty much most of the time, yeah, I can only think of a few exceptions where that wasn't the case.

Personally I was okay with the random battles cause I always liked it better when the random battles made me think/worry about dying instead of being braindead easy. And this game autosaves everywhere so even when you lose it's never too much actual lost progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Ventana posted:

Pretty much most of the time, yeah, I can only think of a few exceptions where that wasn't the case.

Personally I was okay with the random battles cause I always liked it better when the random battles made me think/worry about dying instead of being braindead easy. And this game autosaves everywhere so even when you lose it's never too much actual lost progress.

Ditto, the random fights turned into actual threats to worry about. Some of them were still pretty dang easy, but then you just kill them as quickly as on Normal anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Maybe it's just that early game EXP gain is super low or something, because I feel hilariously underleveled for everything I'm running into and I don't really have the tools to manage things like "attacks that take off 75% of your HP" yet. I guess I'll stick it out on Hard and hope it gets better once I get more job abilities to help me survive things.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Harrow posted:

Maybe it's just that early game EXP gain is super low or something, because I feel hilariously underleveled for everything I'm running into and I don't really have the tools to manage things like "attacks that take off 75% of your HP" yet. I guess I'll stick it out on Hard and hope it gets better once I get more job abilities to help me survive things.

My experience was that early-game combat is often less about surviving things and more about finding ways to kill them before they kill you. You can get a lot of mileage out of spellcrafted magic, especially once you're able to steal stuff from enemies and can easily top up your supply of Ethers.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

If you have the muscle, brave up and kill the fuckers at the word go.

If each character is able to pull off a fight alone, chain a few fights.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Harrow posted:

I ran with using the Freelancers Stand Ground ability for a while, which is useful for that sort of thing.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I had trouble with a certain boss (gunner) and it proved to be impossible to win on hard. Until I trained my party to be four samurai to counter her rear end :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

many johnnys posted:

If you have the muscle, brave up and kill the fuckers at the word go.

If each character is able to pull off a fight alone, chain a few fights.

Aren't there sometimes random follow-up encounters that don't reset your BP? I've been paranoid about that and not going into negative BP to finish random encounters just in case I get owned.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Harrow posted:

Aren't there sometimes random follow-up encounters that don't reset your BP? I've been paranoid about that and not going into negative BP to finish random encounters just in case I get owned.

All chained encounters with like that. If you have the power to wipe dudes out with one or two characters, carry on with the chain anyway. If everyone is exhausted bp-wise, them call it quits.

Go deep into your BP, deep into the negatives, however best benefits your team.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah, okay. So is it an optional thing, then? I hadn't run into it. I figured they just tossed another enemy group to ambush you to discourage the "go negative BP and end every encounter on the first turn" strategy but if it's a "you can keep fighting if you want" thing then that's fine and I'll go negative BP all day long.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Harrow posted:

Ah, okay. So is it an optional thing, then? I hadn't run into it. I figured they just tossed another enemy group to ambush you but if it's a "you can keep fighting if you want" thing then that's fine and I'll go negative BP all day long.

I've been ambushed before but it's quite rare; normally it's just 'do you want to keep going?'.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well poo poo, that changes everything. That'll make these encounters a lot less tedious.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Harrow posted:

Ah, okay. So is it an optional thing, then? I hadn't run into it. I figured they just tossed another enemy group to ambush you to discourage the "go negative BP and end every encounter on the first turn" strategy but if it's a "you can keep fighting if you want" thing then that's fine and I'll go negative BP all day long.

There's actually a warning for ambushes. If you see "Enemies lurk out of sight..." at the start of a battle you might want to keep at least one party member out of the red. Or flee if that's what suits you.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There are ambushes but they are infrequent and there are both equips to reduce them or skills (well, one skill) to remove them altogether.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZZT the Fifth posted:

There's actually a warning for ambushes. If you see "Enemies lurk out of sight..." at the start of a battle you might want to keep at least one party member out of the red. Or flee if that's what suits you.

Oh perfect, that makes things much easier to deal with, then.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
There's one particular dungeon near the end, but not directly the end, of Chapter 4 that I highly recommend either turning off random encounters for completely or toning it down to Normal. I had to swallow my pride and go Normal and even then they can smash your poo poo, so just fair warning. The recommended level is mid 40's, but drat it sure doesn't feel like it even on Normal. There are quite a few unexpected REALLY hard boss battles on Hard mode, too, so watch out. Also expect Hard mode to take a LONG time to complete. I got to the end of Chapter 4 and had clocked in over 100 hours at that point. Bravely Default was the same way. Think I ended that game with something around 300 hours total. I am 140 hours in BS and still have not decided to tackle Chapter 5 yet (I'm basically playing the whole game through a second time to both grab all the Asterisks I missed as well as level them to around Level 6-7. JUST got Time Mage at long freaking last)

I can also safely say I do not like how you're expected to grind in the sequel compared to the first. In the first you could BP spam and run in a circle and you'd be gaining 999 JP in the two seconds it took to end a fight. In this one you still have to carefully manage your BP to keep chains going, and it requires using your special moves to sustain (Rejuvenation, namely). And it takes a good 15-30 minutes to get 999 JP because you have to chain between 17-30 fights depending on what area you're in. It's absolutely unfun, but mandatory on Hard. Your best bet for JP is to farm from Ba'als sent to your moon base. Fire at them with your ships, pop the game into sleep mode over night and by morning they should be ready to fight.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
And in those cases there's nothing preventing you from leaving one enemy from the 1st wave alive and Defaulting everyone up to maximum BP to handle the 2nd wave.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Uh, just as a head's-up: you can get the sidequest jobs you didn't pick the first go around in Chapter 5.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Agent Boogeyman posted:

I can also safely say I do not like how you're expected to grind in the sequel compared to the first. In the first you could BP spam and run in a circle and you'd be gaining 999 JP in the two seconds it took to end a fight. In this one you still have to carefully manage your BP to keep chains going, and it requires using your special moves to sustain (Rejuvenation, namely). And it takes a good 15-30 minutes to get 999 JP because you have to chain between 17-30 fights depending on what area you're in. It's absolutely unfun, but mandatory on Hard. Your best bet for JP is to farm from Ba'als sent to your moon base. Fire at them with your ships, pop the game into sleep mode over night and by morning they should be ready to fight.

Huh, and here I thought grinding would be easier because of the chain system.

Regalingualius posted:

Uh, just as a head's-up: you can get the sidequest jobs you didn't pick the first go around in Chapter 5.

Yeah, I'm glad about this. Quick semi-spoilery question: when you get to go back around and can do the other side of each side quest, is it sort of in a, "This is what really happened?" sense? Mostly because I know I'm gonna be siding against sides I find more sympathetic just because I want the other asterisk at least a couple times.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

Harrow posted:

Huh, and here I thought grinding would be easier because of the chain system.

Yeah, I'm glad about this. Quick semi-spoilery question: when you get to go back around and can do the other side of each side quest, is it sort of in a, "This is what really happened?" sense? Mostly because I know I'm gonna be siding against sides I find more sympathetic just because I want the other asterisk at least a couple times.

From what I've seen it just gives you the other side of what could have happened. In most cases, the something that happens is outright horrible. For a couple of them I felt like the biggest poo poo heel alive. For example: Siding with De Rosa in the first mission got me a huge BAD END for Ancheim. It is made blatantly clear that everyone is going to die or is already dying because the oasis completely dried up and there is literally no water left for the entire desert. Way to go, heroes

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Agent Boogeyman posted:

From what I've seen it just gives you the other side of what could have happened. In most cases, the something that happens is outright horrible. For a couple of them I felt like the biggest poo poo heel alive. For example: Siding with De Rosa in the first mission got me a huge BAD END for Ancheim. It is made blatantly clear that everyone is going to die or is already dying because the oasis completely dried up and there is literally no water left for the entire desert. Way to go, heroes

Actually the desert people do end up moving to Florem. Talking to them reveals that they preferred the desert. :v:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I heard (but can't verify) that in the original Japanese 'bad end' for the Black Mage/Ranger sidequest, if you side with Artemia, Bahamut ends up becoming the party's emergency rations..

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

Well it certainly wasn't when I did it. It was one of the few that didn't really have a "BAD END". Only one end turns out more beneficial in the long run as well as solving the problem immediately at hand. Oddly enough, when I did the Swordmaster/Summoner one the second time through, my choice actually felt like the better choice I sided with Kamiizumi the second time around, and when Gho returns to toil at the mill, he discovers a way to harness his summoning abilities in a universally more helpful way than just finding out how to summon Amaterasu. The Dark Knight/Time Mage ending, if you choose one side over the other is definitely a "bad" ending as well as the White Mage/Merchant sidequest. The children still get their meal tickets if you side with Alternis, but the residents of Grandship are still taxed into space despite a booming tourist trade and are obviously miserable because of it. Likewise, the girl and her grandpa get to keep their dumpshack, but at the expense of EVERYONE IN EISENBERG being forced to live in abject misery amidst the barren wastes that was once their continent *slow clap*.

Edit: Also, a neat thing I noticed ONLY because I played through the way I did: The Kaiser's going to turn out to be Yew's brother, isn't he? I missed that obvious clue the first time around. Likewise, the Alternis that's been helping us in the main plot ISN'T the same one in Grandship, is it? It's Ringabel, I'm guessing. I guess this because the Alternis in grandship has obviously been there for a while AND isn't wearing the ribbon Edea used to bandage his wound. Curious, that.

Agent Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 28, 2016

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Both of your spoiler guesses are correct.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just picked this game up and I'm glad to see the English dub voices are still pretty good.

Also Dean Venture will always be a giant dork no matter what he's in and that's fantastic.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Actually the desert people do end up moving to Florem. Talking to them reveals that they preferred the desert. :v:

You can also find DeRosa in Gathelatio if you decided to side with him, doing his hardest to sell people there on somnial energy. If you speak to him, he tells you that he needs to succeed in this because he feels he owes that much to the people of the desert for taking away their water source.

Pureauthor posted:

I heard (but can't verify) that in the original Japanese 'bad end' for the Black Mage/Ranger sidequest, if you side with Artemia, Bahamut ends up becoming the party's emergency rations.

A remnant of that in the localized versions seems to have snuck into the diary entries for Ominas. (Or was it Bahamut?)

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
https://twitter.com/BDFF_OFFICIAL/status/785755103714082816

We're getting some Bravely news soon :dance:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

And iOS port, no doubt.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Unless BS bombed it's probably a sequel, they were obviously gunning for one

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm beyond ready for Bravely Third.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I was sad about how little I enjoyed Fates this year. But then I remembered how much fun Bravely Second was and I felt better.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Just bring back Ringabel, preferably as the main character. You can do anything else you want, that's all I need. :negative:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Why is the Berserk room in Geyser Grotto so terrible my party is NOT made up to handle this poo poo :sigh:

I sure love combat being out of my control and despite only being 1 level below the reccommend level range, i'm getting 1-2 shot by the enemies in that particular room.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, you can change your party at any time, there's even an option to save your old party's skill/class setups.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Oh i understand that bit, the party chats in this place made that feature clear but it's more like i've been running 2 physical 2 magical class pretty much the whole game so far so Tiz and Magnolia can hold their own damage wise, Edea and Yew have some catching up to do though.

Granted Edea does seem to kick rear end as a Hawkeye but she's still at a pretty low Job level with that one.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think it's only mentioned in one of the Ask Agnes things but your job level is a lot less relevant than before so any job with a two handed weapon proficiency works, even catmancer if you've been leveling it.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
You could also just turn combat off while you're in that room.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

but you still have to fight the tiger fuckers because they are right in the way out of the room soooo the problem is still not fixed

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

So tiger fuckers now and that dungeon are thoroughly beaten. Now it looks like the next sidequest is between Knight and Ninja? Don't really know why that is even a choice since of course you want Ninja for Duel-Wielding. Unless they made Knight better for something other than being the source of the 30% phys defense passive skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nah, Ninja's still the better of the two.

• Locked thread