Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really liked the first game but stopped in the endgame around the same place I imagine most people who stop do.

I felt I had enough combat out of it, though by the end I was skipping pretty much every random encounter, which made dungeons only boring instead of just tedious.

I loved the art style for the background areas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blackfyre posted:

While I've really enjoyed Bravely Default I've still not finished it. Despite this I went and preordered the EU special edition with the artbook etc. It is over 2x the price of the regular edition.

My logical brain is currently telling me to cancel this immediately and just get a copy of the game when I've finished the first. It has yet to win this fight.

EDIT: See Dunbans post that I missed. Not sure of the worth of the extra bits. The fact the artbook was 250pgs is what pushed me over the edge at first but will I ever look at it again?

I suspect the majority of people who like Bravely Default never finished it, so you're in good company.

I should go youtube the ending before I pull the trigger on Second though.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm wanting to specialize my four characters but I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing it in a poor way.

Basically I have Yew as offensive mage, so he's been leveling primarily Summoner, Wizard and Red Mage (with some Astrologian and Bishop for support skills here and there.)
Edea is a sword-user, physical-focused character, which means she's basically been doing nothing but getting levels in Fencer since I opted to choose whatever didn't get me the Swordmaster asterisk.
Magnolia is a sort of mixed bag physical attacker, so she ended up with levels in everything else, Charioteer and Catmancer primarily.
Tiz is being geared as a support guy, so Bishop, Astrologian--he's basically doing everything Yew has been doing except for more Red Mage and no Summoner points.

I'm feeling like my team has become very unbalanced as a result--Magnolia and Yew are easily huge powerhouse characters while the others seem to be lagging behind in terms of physical or magical prowess. What should I be doing as I build my characters up? For reference, I just got the Hawkeye asterisk, so that's where I'm at progress-wise.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You gotta make a tough call sometimes. Just remember, no matter what you choose, I'll still be your friend.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't really like the meta stuff in Bravely Default, largely because they basically start the game by saying that there's a kind of commentary going on between the real world/game world and how they interact. There's always this sense that the game is a pastiche world, a sort of collection of fantasy tropes and ideas, like you're half-remembering an old-school Final Fantasy game. This is fine for most of the game because the plot is real basic: go here, save crystal, repeat--but then about three-fourths into it they try to add in more contextual backstory to the world, and try to develop a lore and a history and basically try to cram an entire game's backstory into one relatively brief section of gameplay.

I felt like they were trying to have their cake and eat it too, and since the Orthodoxy and Eternia having beef is much more relevant to the general action of the game, I felt like they'd spoiled the integrity of their world by adding a meta-narrative that the game didn't need. Bravely Default wasn't really a title I felt needed to be self-aware. A cute homage to job systems and classic FF was all anyone needed, and while the meta stuff pays out in the very very end (I guess, based on Second's recap), I feel like they could have just told a more straightforward story and then had the characters and world get more fleshed out. Instead, they try to have both a living setting and a pastiche setting and the result doesn't quite hit the mark, I feel.

• Locked thread